Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Moon of Ice

The Moon of Ice shines its pale white light on snow-blanketed hills and barren fields. Icicles dangle from skeletal branches, and the desperate howl of starving men and beasts echo through the darkness.

Frost-crusted winter flowers, white pine, eucalyptus, and traditional lunar oils.

A chilly blend - like walking through a snow covered forest in late winter where the temps are starting to warm and the smell of evergreen is in the air. This reminds me of my beloved Snow Moon only with the slightly sweet and minty scent of eucalyptus.

This is one of my new favorites (I think I say that about all of the new BPAL I get). It's crisp and cool and has a calming effect for me.

In the bottle: Holy pine tree, Batman! A few seconds later I can catch the florals peeking through.

Wet: The pine is the big note with some undertones of florals

Drydown: The eucalyptus is coming through nicely, and the pine is calming down a touch

Has decent throw, not overbearing. Gets the boyfriend seal of approval too. ;-p

Love this. I hope it has staying power!

Oh, this is so pretty and what I had hoped for.

To me, this isn't OMG PINE like it could have been. It is a fresh (really- fresh), crisp sprig of pine, a chilly whirl of wind, and creamy, understated florals. I hope this doesn't cause a clamoring, but, I sincerely see similarities between these flowers and the creamy flowers in Snow White, except for me there is an added tinge of green very much like Christmas Rose. It has medium-to-light throw, but it's too early for me to determine wear time.

I'm just so pleased about Moon of Ice... I'm gaining a hefty collection of "cold" "winter" blends, and this is up there as a favorite. I'm armed with two bottles! :P

Quietly cold. The pine is soft and to my nose, the blend is more mint-like than it is eucalyptus. The florals are barely there but seem to add a touch of delicate sweetness which is quite nice. This reminds me of Snow-Flakes and maybe a little of Snow Bunny. There's also a touch of something incense-like upon drydown...Lunar oils, perhaps??

Soft throw, it's there but not overwhelming. As I stated in the beginning, quietly cold. A cold, after a snowfall peace, when you can almost hear the hush.

Beautifully done.

bottle: sweet, icy snow. this is a wet, chilly scent like twinkles on just-melting snow.

wet: this is wetter than both the snow storm and old moon. the pine is more faint but somehow a bit clearer than both of those. very pretty.

dry: this dries very similarly to old moon, a very soft pine and snow scent. the main difference is the eucalyptus, which i can detect now that it's dried.

:P

Edited by hkhm

Moon of Ice - This is one of the prettiest cold-inspired scents I've encountered. I don't even like pine or eucalyptus, but they're blended so gorgeously in this with the other notes that it's just a stunning scent. It's very crisp, cool, cold, icy, and sharp. It's most definitely the smell of being outside at night in the dead of winter when the sky is clear and the temperature has dropped to below zero. The scent doesn't last long on my skin, but it's beautiful while it's there and I think it will be nice in an oil burner, too. I also have to add that the bottle art on this is probably the prettiest and most striking I've ever seen - definitely my favorite bottle art so far.

I was a little worried about this pine in this one, but I shouldn't have been.

It starts out all pine and eucalyptus on me, and reminds me of slobbering pine (which I happened to like), but now it is cold like I expected. There's a sweetness...white florals I assume, that blends soooo nicely. I wish I had better words for it.

Moon of Ice is definitely a winter scent, but in a light, sun-on-fresh snow-in-an-evergreen-forest kind of way.

MOON OF ICE

In Bottle: Pine

On Skin: The strongest note is pine, followed by sweet eucalyptus. Very bright, very sharp. The winter flowers have ice formed on them, so chilling. Under it all there is a dark note though… like an icicle that has fallen and when you pick it up there’s dirt on it you just can’t seem to get off. As the scent develops, the ice melts and it gets darker and darker. It’s a bit earthy and a bit mysterious. It’s an interesting scent, and a nice change from the many “snow/ice” scents I already have. If you like a chilling scent but want a little more edge, try this one for sure. Medium throw and average to long wearlength.

MOON OF ICE

This smells very different to me than most of the previous reviews. I do not smell even the barest hint of pine, and the eucalyptus sits in the background as a cool green base. What I do smell the most, both while wet and dry, is a cool smattering of winter flowers and lunar oils underneath some ice. It has a fizzy sort of quality to it, like slush with soda pop in it, or like a gently fermented fruit wine, or a touch of bubbly champagne. It reminds me very strongly of Fairy Wine in general, and just the top fizzy note of Pruno. I find it effervescent enough that it makes my nose tickle. This is pretty, even if unexpected. =)

I really wanted to love this, but on me it just smells like a Windex soaked pine tree. Snow + something sharp and stingy. I let it dry down for some time, but it didn't change on me... *sad*

In the bottle, this smells divine... exactly what I'd hoped for. It smells cold, then the pine & eucalyptus creeps in. It does evoke a cold night outdoors, in a gentle and quiet way, when everything is silent and still.

It smells about the same on... but only for awhile. It dried into an odd scent... I can't put my finger on it. It's sharp, and almost sour. Something in this doesn't agree with me. I'm still holding out hope for it, and will try it again later on.

Added later--

Tried it again. This time... lemon. Usually this has been a bad thing in the past, but this is a nice lemon. Tart and sweet at once. How odd... now this smell is evoking bright crisp clean sunshine. Makes me want to do some spring cleaning. Strange! Who knows what I'll get next time... is this the mood ring of scents? :P

Edited by mazikeen

Cold and snowy, and I can pick up the eucalyptus...but, yeah, mazikeen I'm getting the sour smell too - not bad sour, sort of a sweet sour, like umeboshi or a tangy berry.

Very interesting. I'm on the fence as to whether or not to keep this one or pass it along to someone who will love it more...

ETA: I think I smell orris in the drydown...pretty!

Edited by maribouquet

In bottle: Reminded me of one of the other Yule scents I had, to the point I had to check it against all them. Ended up reminding me most of The Snow Storm, but instead of Fir and Cedar, it has Pine.

Haven't worn it yet, so come back when I get to

Sugary pine and snow. I smell no eucalyptus at all. The pine is faint, but persistent.

Smells like a cross between The Ice Storm and Snow White. Pleasant but not earthshaking.

Although the scent components are quite different, this reminds me very much of Ice Queen, which is one of my all time favorites. Yes, very much like Ice Queen with, perhaps, a bit more of an "edge." There is a bit more of a minty sharp quality to Moon of Ice, probably due to the eucalyptus. Piney, but with a fruity quality to it as well.

Overall, very crisp, clean, wintery and lovely. This could be a very good replacement for Ice Queen since I'm doomed to run out of that one of these days. :P

This one's very straightforward and consistent for me. It smells just about the same in the bottle as it does on me wet and dry. If anything, the eucalyptus comes out a little more on me during dry down.

Overall, this smells basically as described to me. I get icicles on non-specific white flowers and a breath of eucalyptus. Definitely a bit of pine, and something slightly citrusy, but nothing overwhelming on either front.

Throw and duration are both about average for me.

Very pretty on me, in a sort of still, quiet way. Definitely a night time scent. Definitely a keeper.

straight sniff from bottle is a perfect wintery/snowy note!!

once applied some lovely pine and ozone with a spray of florals...

this is a delicate perfume to be certain :P

Origin: sniffie as part of a decant circle

Initial Thoughts: I never expected to enjoy "snow" scents, but since I do, I like to try as many of them that I can. I was really curious about the eucalyptus in this one.

In the Bottle: Lovely. I can tell there's pine/evergreen in there. I can tell there's eucalyptus. I can tell there's floral. But they all blend together so well that nothing stands out.

Wet: It is everything it was in the bottle, but is also somehow colder to my nose.

Drydown: After a while, I also get the unpleasant note. It's not quite bathroom-cleaner pine, but it's knocking on the door.

Verdict: Alas, this one is not for me.

This will be a bit skewed at the moment - since I tried it and forgot to take into account "my scheduled fluctuations in hormonal levels".

In the vial, this was snowy and piney and very very lovely. I agree with an initial impression of Ice Queen, simply edgier and perhaps more pepperminty.

On wet, it morphed a little - and it got something almost spicy on me, but its a light base. I have an overlay of cold florals, which makes for an interesting juxtaposition. I think the spicyness might be from a flower I've smelled before since it doesn't have an incense/sandalwood/food condiment association in my head.

I'll be trying this in a week and seeing how it compares. It's absolutely gorgeous in the vial - but I want to try it when the fluctuations have ended for a more accurate review. :P

In Bottle: In the bottle it's very Ice Prince to me. Sweet pine or fir. Almost fruity. Definitely cold and snowy.

Dry on Skin:

Sniffing the wrist reveals chilly lunar herbs and pine. It's a little sweet. I can't really distinguish the eucalyptus. Not very floral to me either.

Sniffing the inside elbow is where the Samhain hints come from. I'm going to have start applying oil on the wrists AND elbow on a regular basis to see if they morph differently.

Edited by TwilightEyes

Moon of Ice

Every time I get another of Beth's snow blends, I'm blown away. And I could never choose a favorite. This one is another chilly, minty snow blend with a hint of sweetness under it all. It's a soft, but sweet scent. Definitely up there in the snowy blends..and a definite winner with me. :P

Moon of Ice

In the bottle: cold pine with a hint of cold soapy flowers…reminds me of Sleet soap, but sweeter.

Wet on skin: crisp and icy, reminds me of a cross between Ice Queen and Long Night Moon.

Dry on skin: mmm, this is quite nice! There’s a snowy/icy note to it that chills the nose, it’s slightly reminiscent of Long Night Moon, but fresher and colder. There are snowy flowers here, almost like those of Snow Flakes maybe like Ice Queen, but the pine and eucalyptus make this one a little bit different. The pine seems to linger the boundary of smelling good and smelling like disinfectant, and the eucalyptus here doesn’t smell too strong, but it does add to the clear ‘winter wind’ scent this has.

After a while: oh, this one confuses me. At times the icy florals in here are gorgeous-a gentle sweet cold floral scent with a hint of something almost like chilled melon to it. It reminds me of Ice Queen, there’s a hint of that icy white musk to it, also reminds me of Nuclear Winter. But then I smell a bitter scent underneath that I’m not keen on, a bit like salty olives? It’s probably an evergreen note because I get a similar reaction in Old Moon, but in here it’s not as strong. The scent gets sweeter and more delicate, almost losing that bitterness and turning to that sugary snow scent that I love. It’s like Ice Queen or Talvikuu’s younger sister. And I smell something that I’m sure is white amber! And I do love white amber…but then that bitter green note returns. Dammit. The scent fluctuates between icy sweet flowers and that strange bitter note every now and then.

Verdict: this is another one of BPAL’s icy scents, with that cracking icy/snowy note that I love. This isn’t my favourite (that position is still ruled over by the likes of Snow Flakes, Wolf Moon 07 and Ice Queen) but it’s actually quite similar to Ice Queen at times. There’s a pine note that seemed a little soapy at one point but then faded, and a fresh, clearing note of eucalyptus which doesn’t smell at all medicinal. There’s also an odd bitter note that sometimes pops up and prevents me from truly enjoying this scent. but the scent I love most in here is that of the flowers, covered with cold sugariness which is white, fluffy, sweet and cool. It’s like sweet Snow White like flowers crystallised with frozen sugar, with a hint of something like mint to add more coolness and a bit of a watery note, like cucumber. This is what I love about the BPAL ice/snow scents, that sweet floral and sugared ice scent, but that annoying, bitter green note (probably an evergreen note gone bad on my skin) that I get in here at times does detract from the scent’s overall chilly beauty. I think I’ll stick with my other ice scents, but I’m glad I gave this a try.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? I’m unsure. I like it but I think I prefer some of the other snowy scents to this.

If you like this, try: Old Moon, Long Night Moon, Snow Flakes, Cloister Graveyard, Archangel Winter, Hunger Moon

In the bottle: I can't pinpoint what I'm smelling, but it smells like something I used to use to mop my floors. Very cleaning-fluidish.

Wet: This is so sharp and cold it almost hurts! I can definitely pinpoint the eucalyptus and something else herbal.

Drydown: After a few minutes this settles into something that reminds me of Jabberwocky. It's citrus, almost creamy, with a hint of flowers lingering in the background and a tang of eucalyptus giving it all an edge. It's got a light throw, but it lasts a long time. 12 hours and multiple hand-washings after I put this on I could still get whiffs of it if I lifted my hand to my nose.

I really didn't expect to like this, but I *really* do. I wish I'd gotten more than one bottle while it was up.

Am I crazy?

For this smells of pine, apples, and seven-up.

Dries down to nearly nothing on my skin but a whisper of something sharp, an ozone remnant.

Have you tried Villainess's Frostbite soap? 'cause this is similar.

Edited by Lycanthrope

This smells cold and slushy, with loads of pine. As it dries and wears, it’s taking on that sugary snow smell which is just wonderful. The sugar seems especially strong here, I think because it’s mostly that snow/icy BPAL smell and sweet sugar.

I think I’m finally getting the snow scents – I have quite a few but for a long time they all smelled pretty similar. At first when I tried this I thought it was similar to Snow Moon or Talvikuu (as compared to Old Moon, Long Night Moon, etc). Well Snow Moon is pretty different. Talvikuu is different too, but not as much. This is sweeter and more sugary, while Talvikuu is a tad more watery, has that birch smell, etc. This doesn’t seem to last quite as long, but I love the sugar snow aspect of this. I think this is one of the more subtle snow scents.