Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Eutectic

Butterflies and Plovers

Blood orange, King mandarin, nectarine, patchouli, violet, ylang ylang, and amber.

In the Bottle: Mandarin and a whisper patchouli is what my sniffer picks up.

Wet: Peppery? I'm getting pepper from this. Not sure which note is to "blame," perhaps the ylang ylang? Still got the orangey tang, I think that the mandarin is stronger as it's not quite as sweet and juicy as blood orange typically is. And as per usual, my skin amps patchouli-- it's not too bad here, though. Just more noticeable wet on the skin, than in the bottle.

Drydown: Yes, the floral ylang ylang has taken front and center stage. I'm really not a fan of ylang ylang, 'm afraid. I get a hint of violet's "dustiness" and maybe the amber is there, but it's pushed to the back since the bright citrus and the punch-you-in-the-face ylang ylang are so aggressive.

Verdict: It's actually quite nice, but I just know I won't do this bottle justice. (Plus, it does remind me of the BPTP's Ignis massage oil which I love and use.) Away it goes! Edited by devilot

Niiiiiice. This is a rich amber spiced with dark orange and light patchouli spice. Glad I have a bottle now :)

Ok, fair warning - I amp ylang ylang, and we HATE each other.

Just. Yick. Ylang ylang is completely domineering this blend, and I can barely make out any other notes here. As it dries, the orange and mandarin come out more, and then the mandarin goes pretty sickly sweet on me. Yeah. This is a fail.

Mandarin, patchouli and just the barest hint of violet. It's green, earthy yet juicy. Orange, mandarin and nectarine are the stars here. Ylang ylang sneaks in and seems to enhance the lushness of the fruits. The pacthouli stays firmly in the background adding depth and darkness to a very bright blend. Unfortunately I can't detect any amber.

Bottle: smells sweet, earthy, and a little sharp

Wet: I can smell a little green, but the citrus is also there.

Dry: The green is fading as it dries and the citrus peeking out more. It almost smells sweet orange rind-ish. Very light, a good scent for when it's really hot this summer. I'm really glad I swapped for this.

Dirty. Sexy. Citrus. Fruit and patchouli just do the naughtiest things together. The blood orange/mandarin, patchouli and amber are the most prominent notes on me, in that order; I don't get much peach or ylang ylang or violet but I can tell there's something additional in there giving it body, and I can tell there's a bit of ylang ylang adding to the seducive feel. If you like Depraved, which is in a similar vein except with apricot instead of orange, you're going to love this.

This is so not what I expected! When I see that many citrus notes in a blend, I expect a bit of zest, bite and zing. Instead, this is the creamiest duskiest citrus blend I could have imagined. It is very smooth, with nary a sharp edge in sight. The violet sweetness is there, along with a very delicate woodsy note of patchouli. Amber must be contributing to this smoothness, but I can't identify it on its own; the ylang ylang is also incredibly subtle, perhaps there in mere flashes of gold and then off to hide for a while.

Overall, this is quite a surprise. That said... I had been hoping for a brighter citrus and less violet. A lot less violet, since violet and me, we are not friends in the least. Thus, onward you go, pretty butterflies and plovers (whatever those are!).

Not what I was expecting at all. It smells like a powdery, sweet, soft violet on me. I don't really smell much in the way of orange or nectarine.

I'm a violet lover, and this is such a beautiful setting for violet - smoky, earthy, a little juicy, with just a subtle hint of ylang ylang. One of my favorites.

Wet on the wand and straight on the skin: wow - elegant citrus on the wand, but on the skin immediately warms into a much earthier scent. The citrus disappears completely with the milkiness of ylang ylang firmly seated in amber with just a hint of biting violet.

Warming up: the violet takes over almost. It's not as cloying and I think it's the amber and hints of patchouli trying to pull it back.

Drying out: Think I might wash this off. The violet is just taking over, becoming more and more sharp, more and more cloying. Too bad, the wand scent was delicious.

In the IMP it’s an eastern mixture of spicy orange. On me at first it’s all WHOA Patchouli, after a bit of dry down it’s a warm spicy violet with hints of orange and some clean soapiness.

I was thinking it wouldn’t work and be too spicy but it’s actually lovely. I can’t see myself wearing it but it’ll be going in the tub for a luxurious bath … can we say Persian Princess?

This has what i assume to be a very strong line-up of notes so i expected a powerful blend. In the bottle it seems very delicate to me, almost im a sense "flat-ish" so i was a little concerned. When testing i could only remember the king mandarin, and it made sense because it seemed a little citrusy but to me more blossom than fruit or candy. I put it on and it seemed the same on the skin. It was initially very close to the skin. I moved on with my life and remembered a few minutes later to re-sniff, and i was completely shocked by the morph. It's like serious floral musk right now, very sexy. I wouldn't even have guessed that patchouli was the muskiness, although now that i know it does have that hippie flavor. Still more strongly blossom than citrus, at this point i would say the citrus is basically gone. It definitely needed the time to warm up because now i can smell it on myself. The throw is more floral than musk to me