Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

NIGHT THOUGHTS
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Stars, you are unfortunate, I pity you,
Beautiful as you are, shining in your glory,
Who guide seafaring men through stress and peril
And have no recompense from gods or mortals,
Love you do not, nor do you know what love is.
Hours that are aeons urgently conducting
Your figures in a dance through the vast heaven,
What journey have you ended in this moment,
Since lingering in the arms of my beloved
I lost all memory of you and midnight.

Lilac, blue musk, dianthus, cedar, neroli, ozone, and luminous Eastern herbs.

So exited that this is my first review! I waited a few days to see if anyone had gotten this scent since I'm not great at describing, but I'll make an attempt.

When I first opened the bottle I got a mysterious, sexy scent (similar to what would be a combination between red and black moon). The ozone make itself known (and I had no idea I would like it so much), there's a hint of herbs or maybe the neroli and sweetness from the lilacs and flowers.

When applied the scent instantly reminded me of the shivering boy. Its sweet and lovely and a bit cold but in a good way. However where boy is herbal, NT is sweeter, but not sickly so.

As it dries down, the scent is not similar to "boy" as it was when wet. Its a femenine scent, creamy, reminds me a bit of hints of coconut (even though it has none) and sexy. I must also add, this is not a "happy or cheery" scent. Its a mysterious, nightly, passionate scent (and I really hope that makes sense to some of you). The scent is divine!

I am officially in love with Night Thoughts :wub2:

This is a mixed review. I'm undecided whether I like it or not.

In the bottle, this is reminiscent of Black Moon which I :P. Very sexy and sultry. Perfect for a night out.

Wet and initial drydown however, ruined this for me. There's this sharp dryer sheets scent that wafts about. I don't smell it if I sniff directly on my skin, however. It's a bit disappointing.

Later drydown (which is 3 or so hours later) is much better. The dryer sheets scent is gone replaced by a musky nighttime floral scent that is quite elegant.

I'm torn, the end result is great but I don't know if I can stand the 3-hour wait to get there.

Edited by mandragora

Night Thoughts is odd. In the bottle, it smells like cigarettes, which isn't too appealing. Then, on my skin, I can smell the lilac and cedar clashing. They don't seem to blend well together. Finally, they go away and leave behind a floral, soapy smell that's tolerable, but not really interesting. I'm disappointed; I was hoping this one would turn out to be ethereal and as airy as the night sky itself. I think I'll try this in a scent locket, and if that doesn't work, Night Thoughts will go the sale pile.

2.5/5

In bottle/imp: Cedar and lilac with dry herbs in the background.

Immediately on skin: This is very cool and herbal with lilac and cedar. That’s really all I smell… it’s hardly sweet, but cool and dry as well.

After a little while: The lilac has died down and the cedar is still very strong, but the other floral notes in this keep it from being too dry and woody. The ozone is also very evident now and is almost overpowering the cedar. This is a lot less dry now that I've worn it for a while; the dry herbalness that I experienced is gone now, and the scent has gotten a bit more watery or airy.

Overall Impressions: I was expecting more from this blend honestly... definitely more of a complex scent and not as much cedar. It's very woody at first, and while that dies down, the cedar is still very evident. The ozone note comes out too and overpowers the more delicate floral notes. It's a scent that reflects the name and poem for sure, but I don't think it's anything glorious on my skin.

straight sniff from bottle is cedar and lilac...

once applied the cedar amps up huge and calms down rather quickly...

herbaceous and floral combined with the cedar makes a very unique blend...

just not sure if this really works on me or not...i'll give it a few more

tryouts before i make a final verdict :P

In the bottle: Sharp, green woods and herbs. Fresh, masculine, planty. Cedar!

Wet: Softer, more floral. A little soapy (sigh, neroli). The lilac emerges quickly. The nose-tingling ozone is there, but light. A bunch of herbs that smell 'lunar' but I can't individually distinguish.

Dry: The cedar makes this quite dry, but the neroli and ozone give this a cleanness. The lilac is a simultaneously fresh and heady, further complicating this blend, but in a way that I feel works.

Summary: Cedar then lilac, with hints of musk, ozone, and neroli. The cedar definitely dominates, but without bullying. Unisex to masculine; great throw and lasting power. I find it very soothing.

The wood and blue musk here remind me of Silence, although where Silence is a very still scent, Night Thoughts has more movement and a wistful sweetness - I think from the lilac? This is lovely - the cedar is noticeable at first, but it doesn't go all evil like it sometimes does on me. It settles down after about 20 minutes and leaves me with a very well-blended, lovely, pretty scent. I can't pick out the notes.

Love it. So glad I got a bottle.

** NIGHT THOUGHTS **

In the bottle and wet on my skin: Oh Heaven!!! Lilac, blue musk and a sense of dark incense wafting around in the background!

Drying down: As this dries down, the cedar starts to reveal it's self and becomes a beautiful base to the lilac and blue musk. I can detect a bit of the dianthus but no neroli. Maybe the ozone is what is making it feel like a dark incense is in the air?!

Completely dried down: This hasn't really morphed on me. It is still a slight floral with the lilac and dianthus,the blue musk is so beautiful in this with that dash of cedar, and the dark, thick incense that is just absolutely gorgeous!

Conclusion: Oh! What a sweet dream I had! This scent was so perfect!! It wasn't IN YOUR FACE FLORAL - just a light scent of the lilac, dianthus and blue musk sitting on a slightly smelled cedar base. That incense smell in the backgound just grounded the whole thing, making it exotic in a way. It was a wonderful dream while it lasted - for a whole hour... and then like so many other BPAL oils I have tried lately it's *POOF* gone!! :P Just a wonderful memory of an oil that was beautiful. (is it my skin? or is it the oil?) The throw was perfect while it could be smelled - it was within your personal space - not screaming to be smelled but not being to shy either. If this would have stayed on my skin, I would have bought mulitple bottles! Maybe others will be luckier than I!

ETA: Night Thoughts is too beautiful to give up on. I will be keeping it and trying it - maybe later I will add more to this review.

Edited by Rhowan

Like some others, I really smelled a resemblance to Silence. But where the peach in Silence tempers the blue musk nicely for me, here the cedar and neroli blend in to make it a bit too heady or sharp. Those two did fade a bit on the drydown. It is still a lovely scent, just not for me.

This bottle was a gamble since I'm new to the notes that it contains. In the bottle, the cedar jumps out at me, and I was nervous about whether or not this would work on me.

Once on my skin, however, it morphed into a lovely blend of lilac, blue musk, and incense. It actually reminds me a lot of Dior's Poison, which was a love of mine for many years. Night Thoughts is a bit more herb-like, but in a really nice way.

The only disappointment is that it doesn't seem to be lasting too long on me. After wearing it for an hour, I had to re-apply, so this may just need a lot of slathering or to be used in my scent locket. It's a wonderful blend, though, and it's perfect for thinking mysterious thoughts!

I'm always looking for the perfect lilac scent. This one isn't it, either.

It's still not bad. It started off herbal, then calmed down into something floral in a very, well, nighttime way -- this is a scent I can imagine would make a good sleep scent, something to spray on the pillow before bed, that sort of thing.

It also reminds me a little of a Charmkin. Lots of florals do that, though. :P

Hum. I don't really have enough to say about Night Thoughts to merit a full review. I'm going to try it again in a week or two and see if i get more out of it the second time around.

Until then, though: my one fear about Night Thoughts was that the lilac might be really strong. I've got a mild allergy to lilac, so any lilac scent is a bit of a gamble for me. No worries with Night Thoughts, though. Neither me nor my sinuses could detect the lilac in Night Thoughts. All it smelled like to me was cedar and the lightest hint of musk.

That's not to say that it was unpleasant. On the contrary, i liked it a lot. But then, i love cedar, and the blue musk is really quite pretty alongside it.

There just wasn't much to Night Thoughts on me. Like i said, i need to try it again to make sure. Doesn't look like i will need a full bottle of this one, though.

Night Thoughts has a sweet floral and woodsy fragrance to it. When the oil is dry, I smell mostly cedar and blue musk, with lilac as a pale and sweet accent that blankets them. There's definitely an ozone quality to this but it's neither strong nor sharp. The neroli is also there and it adds a sharp little citrus zest; just enough, nothing more.

Overall this is very evocative of a sweet, lilting lilac fragrance that is floating on the night air. There's a sensual musky wood quality that counters the sweetness of the floral. Together it makes for a beautiful, somewhat mysterious feeling fragrance.

Night Thoughts - I have to say I'm not getting the woodsy out of this oil that other people are. It's simply a musky-floral. At one point in the day, I thought there was a bit of BO smell coming out, but that quickly passed and maybe was something (someone???) at work that I walked by - I had thought, perhaps, the herbs were finally making an appearance.

Despite the rambling in the above paragraph, it's a lovely scent if you amp musks like I do.

I do see a certain similarity with Silence - as if Silence were the base and then lilacs were throw in. On me, this is predominantly lilacs - but it's the smell of lilacs at night, when you step outside and see the big blue sky out there and just inhale lilacs.

NIGHT THOUGHTS

In Bottle: Heavy lilac

On Skin: Wow, the lilac here is very dominant, quite heady and sweet. Along with the blue musk I get a pale purple/blue tone from this. The cedar is also sweet and the woodiness offers a nice earthy contrast. The ozone is clean and adds to the pale almost airy feel. The herbs are light and not medicinal or minty. This has the dignified floral feel of Black Moon, so pretty and purely feminine. It is actually a pretty mellow scent, and while it starts quite perfumey it blends into a more close wearing scent. It has a light to medium throw and short to average wearlength.

out of the bottle, surprise! it's deeper than i would have thought - full on neroli and cedar

wet, this'll sound bad but the dominate note is like an ashtray - a cold day-old ashtray. but the after-smell is lilac and blue musk, which is lightening it up

dry, it all gets softer with the lilac and blue musk coming out more.

i dunno what to think about this one. i am looking for a meaty lilac scent and of course this wasnt going to be it, yet this one is so unusual for lilac. maybe aging this one will give it more power in one decisive area.

Night Thoughts is a little funky on my skin at first (smells like body odor and makes me think of a sweaty man), which I suppose could be thanks to the cedar. Funky cedar that tries to clean itself up with a bit of ozone and blue musk. The ozone is a little soapy and the blue musk is lovely, watery-clean and a bit sweet.

Over time, the bad cedar notes fades away for me and this is better, but too perfumey for me to pull off. There's a floral note here, but it doesn't really smell like lilac to me. Perfumey floral and ozone with cool muskiness. Every once in a while I get something like peppered woods popping up, which is most likely the cedar finally playing nice with my skin chemistry.

Night Thoughts starts off really bad and rough on my skin, and too perfumey in its drydown, but I do like it more the longer it sits on my skin. It actually starts to remind me of Night's Pavilion after an hour or so, only more perfumey than the Pavilion is on me.

In bottle: peculiar. Flowers and cedar and bone powder. The herbs have an effect reminding me of niter and dead things. Wet: Sweeter. The flowers are a bit of a relief, floating over the scent of old tomb. The effect is striking, if a touch unnerving, fresh flowers over the long, long dead. Dry: Sweet herbs. I can't decide how i feel about this really. It may be just a little too odd for my skin chemistry.

I was very excited about Night Thoughts--I thought it could be a slightly warmer and more feminine version of Lear. Alas, in the wet stage it is literally nothing but cedar. I do love the smell of cedar, but not when I'm suppose to get lilac, herbs and other goodies as well! :P Even in the dry-down, when the cedar isn't completely overpowering, all I get is a generic floral smell instead of the specific loveliness of lilac. When the floral starts to become prominent on my skin, the cedar is almost gone. My skin chemistry just wrecks the complexities of this scent. Bah. :D

Night Thoughts

In the imp: lilac and cool air. This is stunning-it smells like a lilac bush on a spring night.

Wet on skin: the scent now has green stem-like notes, and I smell a greener cedar note than usual.

Dry: this has the potential to turn bad and bitter-soapy on me, but I hope it doesn’t because for now this is unbelievably pretty. It smells like a dewy garden on a spring night. Cool air and dew, crushed grass and lilac, and hints of orange blossom. The blue musk and ozone combine to form the night air scent, whilst the herbs smell grassy, and the cedar adds a woodsy base. Something in here reminds me of Night’s Pavilion, even though the two scents have no common notes.

After a while: thankfully, this scent doesn’t go down the bitter, soapy path I feared it would. This is what I want my lilac scents to smell like-real lilacs blooming and the scent wafting in the breeze. Now this scent is a mix of this very genuine lilac scent, a greenish cedar, a touch of grass, and a beautiful blue musk with a very nice ozone note. This is so gorgeous!

The herbs come out more as this scent progresses, but the musk seems to stop them from smelling too bitter-green. There’s an airy ethereal feel to this scent that I just love.

The scent that remains on my skin is rather faint after a few hours, but it’s a lovely ozone and musk mix, still airy, still a bit green, with a hint of neroli.

Verdict: I’ve been looking for the perfect lilac scent, and I think I’ve found it. Usually lilac scents smell bitter, wilted and harsh. But not this one. I think it’s the blue musk here making this work…because this smells like lilacs on a night breeze. Such a natural lilac scent. There’s also ozone here, which I normally dislike, but this ozone is an airy one which is beautiful, cool and fresh. The herbs smell green but not soapy-bitter like grassy notes can do, the cedar adds a solid woodsy background. The blue musk just completes it and enhances it, that ethereal, sparkling musk. I am so glad this works on me because the poem is beautiful, and I love the night/star themed BPAL scents, and this is another wonderful night scent to add to my collection.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes! I’ve not had a lilac BPAL work so well on me until I tried this.

If you like this, try: Night’s Pavilion, Yvaine, Nuit, Melancholia, Virahotkandita, White Moon

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In the imp: lilac and cedar. What an interesting combination.

Wet: lilac and cedar, but the cedar is quiet and in the background. Nice.

Drydown: more intensely floral.

This is like a cool spring evening. It really is so well-blended it is hard to pick out individual notes. I'm not usually much of a lilac fan but I like this one.

It smells okay, but there's something off there that just ruins the blend on my skin, like a note falling flat. It just smells kind of blah...sort of a stale laundry smell. Sigh. It doesn't smell bad...it just doesn't smell particularly good.

I just acquired Night Thoughts in a swap to further expand on my ozone obsession and am pleasantly surprised by the scent. I was worried about the combination of notes in this blend, but they are pulled off beautifully. In the vial I get something woodsy (the cedar) with lilac under it, but on my skin I'm getting pure lilac and ozone with the hints of neroli and herbs.

My skin has amped the lilac up a few notches as it dries, and paired with the ozone it's fresh but not overly crisp and has a soft glowing feel to it. The throw is not so hot, and it's really not very intense, but my skin continues to smell like lilacs and powdery warm ozone. Almost like an expensive lilac soap, but in a VERY good way.

I love it. Simply beautifully and artfully blended. Delicate, soft, and fresh. 5/5

In the bottle: lovely, sweet, deep, with maybe a touch of ozone.

On skin: :P Men's cologne! This is just way overwhelmingly masculine on me. Not sweet, not floral, just manly. I've become a fan of so many BPALs that others think of as masculine that I'm totally shocked at how strong my reaction was- at first I thought "Oh this is nice", then all of a sudden: "Wait, I totally don't want to smell like this at all."

I was so looking forward to this one, as well. Oh well- it'll smell great on my husband.