Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
slave1

To a Woman

Benzoin, cassis bud, patchouli, rose otto, and petitgrain.

in the imp: unfortunately, my immediate impression of this is a dirty ashtray. :ack:

let's hope it gets better.

wet on skin: nope. the same, but with a dying, wilted rose near the dirty ashtray. :sick:

dry down: same.

in all: pretty horrendous. i don't know what went wrong, as there are no "deal breakers" listed in the notes. but the combination on me is simply dreadful.

This didn't smell at all like what I was expecting. It's a very nostalgic scent though. Reminds me a bit of pipe tobacco and something else I can't quite put my finger on. Very pretty, but my stash is getting so big I've decided to only keep what I truely love, so hopefully this will find a good home.

This is sort of a darker rose-patchouli-woodsy sort of blend. A touch herbal and warm, darker, more masculine than feminine. The wood is just a touch too strong for me, unfortunately. I'd really like to smell this on a man.

Damn you rose!!! I thought this was going to be full of win, and then, predictably, my skin amped the hell out of the rose. While not TOTALLY objectionable like most rose blends are on me, this was still really overpowering rose for me. Much later in the drydown, this became a little more complex, and the benzoin came out more. Unfortunately it just wasn't enough to save this blend for me. Swaps it goes!

Imp: Eh? No distinct notes. Just dust.

Wet: PETITGRAIN! WHY DO YOU TORMENT ME SO??? I don't particularly care for petitgrain and for some reason it has decided to torment me for this preference. This scent is all petitgrain all the time. Tiny touch of my beloved patchouli.

Dry: Petitgrain over benzoin. Weird. A touch medicinal. Not particularly my favourite and I'm really stunned that I simply cannot smell the rose in this. It winds up smelling like the sort of thing I would buy at a health food store to restore happiness or set the mood for seduction. Basically, it smells like a medicinal aromatherapy blend and I am not a fan.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: Eh. Not a fan. Can see how it works but it's just not doing it for me.

Wet, this is an astringent, perfumey floral of the springtime variety. It dries down to a haughty, sour rose with a touch of patchouli. Kind of an odd combination, and rose isn't really for me, but the patchouli seems to make this a bit more wearable. Still, not enough to keep even the imp. Off to swaps.

To A Woman - This is an odd little scent. On me, it's a rose/patchouli/petitgrain scent. It's slightly powdery, and the patchouli that's used is highly astringent -- reminds me of Fritz's Distilled Patchouli. The petitgrain gives the rose a hearty wood base. It's a really strange scent, to the point that I have no idea if I like it or not. I can't imagine wearing it again, but I'm equally fascinated by the uniqueness of the fragrance.

I'm not sure what to make of this one. I've never smelled notes quite like these...kind of woodsy and herbal yet a bit..sugary? It's very strange, and with no notes I can identify for sure. It reminds me a little bit of these tinned anise candies I used to have..

Edited by AmandaKay

Specially in the beginning:

It looks like a rose, with strong smell, left on a dusty road near woods...

later:

It is more calm, more patchuli, less rose (but still dominant) .

A soft and dreamy blend of florals and resins. The sweet benzoin and woody petitgrain combine beautifully with the gentle patchouli and subtle rose. There’s something organic and natural about this scent…outdoorsy, without being herbal or vegetable-like. Makes me think of lying on a blanket in a rose garden, daydreaming.

Unfortunately, my skin doesn't get on very well with this at all. The notes look like they should all work on me, but maybe it's the petitgrain--it's the leaves and twigs of the bitter orange plant, and my guess is that on me, petitgrain+patchouli=disaster. Whether it's the petitgrain or a certain combination of any two or more scents in the blend, whatever it is, my body chemistry instantly turns it into sharp black pepper. :ack:

This is why I am thankful for the existence of imps.

Edited by Invidiana

This one is mostly roses and patchouli on my skin. Very strong. Goes powdery...and woody after a couple minutes. Sadly, not meant for my skin chemistry.

Spicy, warm, herby and smokey. This is something that I would love to have burning in my house. It reminds me of a wooden cabin in winter with a log burning fireplace. Sweetens a little but still something I'd rather smell in a room than on me :D

This is exactly what I was expecting - earthy patchouli and rose. It's warm and has that lovely bite that patchouli has, but is equally backed by the rose (which has a bit of a powdery quality here). Not for me because of the rose, but lovely all the same!

Oh I ABSOLUTELY ADORE THIS SCENT!!! I'm glad I didn't read the reviews before buying this, or I may have been put off. This scent is so lovely, it epitomizes to me that scent of your BPAL box of imps all combined together, in just the right kind of way that I would a.) want to wear it as an everyday scent and b.) is actually very ME, which is very rare for me.

I can't really describe it like a perfumer, separating the different components, but to me it's just PERFECT: flowery, woody, soft, tangy, deep and yet light all at once. It's an ambiguous scent on me, but then I don't like things that are too straightforward usually.

It's amazing to see that there are only two pages of reviews on this. For such a hidden gem of a scent, it almost seems a shame! Buy hey, I'm not going to complain, after all, it's kind of cool to like things that other people don't like...

Anyway, I suppose that the rose does come through quite a bit, so if you can't stand rose, don't bother. If you love rose like me, then give this one a try: it's a totally unique twist on the rose theme, without it being rose dominated.

BIG BOTTLE? OH YES!!! :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

This is my new favorite scent. I've worn it a few times before and never thought much other than, "This is different," without examining why. Today, for whatever reason I decided, "This is different and GOOD!"

In the vial and wet it is sharp and herbal, reminding me of orange blossom or rosemary (I assume this is the petitgrain or maybe the combination of that and cassis). As it dries, the benzoin emerges, mild and sweet. I adore patchouli, but it really doesn't show itself here, except as a sort of mortar for the others. Not sure what rose otto smells like, but there is no discernible rose in this scent.

This imp will be most definitely replaced with a bottle; it is a remarkable change from my usual resin/peach/wood/earth preferences and something that could be worn anywhere in any weather.

I didn't like this when I first tested.. probably because my snooter was blown out from too many different scents. Glad I waited.

This reminds me of Ruben's painting of Marchesa Brigida Spinola Doria. Gorgeous benzoin and rose otto with a smell of rosewood hit me first. The patchouli isn't strong but definitely lends a spiciness to it. The petitgrain definitely rounds this out with a woody green orange throw. Gorgeous and unique. Need a bottle, please!

sometimes an oil will come along that i find myself somewhat at a loss as to how to describe/review it; this is, i think, mostly because my nose, while trained well in the yummies of bpal(!), is still very unfamilar with a lot of notes found in some bpal scents. to a woman is one such oil.

wet in the vial, it is so sharp and green, very biting, and this really put me off, but i pushed ahead anyway and kept faith! and i am so. glad. that i did.

once this oil made friends with my particular chemistry, to a woman is just beautiful. resiny but soft, somewhat exotic, warm and comforting. patchouli doesn't always work on me, either, striking me a little hard in the sinuses sometimes, but it is so well blended here and really manages to keep its thorny personality in check for me. the throw is absolutely gorgeous, beautiful rose being the dominant scent for me, different from the experience up close to the skin where i get something very woodsy and also very humid (but certainly no less gorgeous) . . .

one long sighing breath; this one is a definite keeper.

Edited by undream

I tried this before I read the notes, and was amazed it contained rose. I normally amp rose to the high heavens, but something is reining the rose in, and it becomes an awesome blend that I can't begin to describe. Definitely bottle-worthy.

This is a cool, distant, unapproachable blend. It's incensey-resinous, leaning to bitter rather than sweet. Dusty grey notes and feminine purples intermingle. It is not my usual scent, but it's perfect for days when I don't feel like letting people get close.

I am not very good AT ALL at recognizing individual notes, but all I smell in this is nerouli, not sure why, but to the swap pile it goes!

In the bottle: wet, woodsy and vegetable-y! very sharp, and not very nice. O_o

wet on skin: baby powder and rose. very heavy on the powdery smell!

later: resiny, warm, woodsy with very strong rose notes. I normally hate rose, but this is really pleasant. I definitely smell more rose than patchouli, though there's a hint of that muskiness in there.

I will give this scent a few more days of wear to determine whether I deem it fit for a bottle purchase. I can't see this as every day wear, but it's got a darkly feminine scent that I really like!

I wasn't having Any opinion about this at first - it smelled Nothing. Maybe a teeensy bit like watered down celleri.

Then, as I sat around typing, cecking Facebook, such stuff - something suddenly started tickling my nose. In a sneezy way.

All I get is soap, but it Really amazes me how it started out literally smelling nothing and then Boomed into this sharp and Very present smell.

It still has an undertone of some sort of vegetable, it isn't Bad, but it does make me think of soaps. So off to swaps it goes.

In the imp: Oil is clear and a deep golden yellow in color. I smell the patchouli and petitgrain.

On me, wet: Same as above.

After 10 minutes: Pretty much the same, although I do get the faintest of rose notes in the far background. If I didn't know to look for the rose, I wouldn't know it was there. This has a surprisingly woody feel to it, from the benzoin I think, or maybe the petitgrain.

After 30 minutes: Where'd it go? Once completely dry, the throw lightened up dramatically. I'm just kidding, though. It's still here, just a lot weaker. The patchouli, petitgrain, and benzoin are the main notes. The rose is gaining in strength and is noticeable now, although still subtle. And it's still woody.

After 1 hour: Again, mostly the same - a woody and incense-y fragrance. The rose is still there, but barely; as is a tiny breath of something like vanilla from the benzoin.

After 2 hours: Same as above. I have not noticed any fruitiness from the cassis bud at all, although other aspects of it may be playing a part in the woody/incense blend notes. (As well as fruity, I've seen its aroma described as "catty", whatever that means. I don't think I want to know.)

After 4 hours: Much the same, but fading away. The strong woodiness is gone, but so is most of the rose. So although they are now more balanced, I still don't get much rose.

After 8 hours: A very faint scent of incense remains.

Verdict: A lovely wood-and-incense blend. I like it very much, but the rose isn't strong enough for it to wow me. It is a dignified scent that would be excellent for work.

My rating: 4 stars

Edited by Ghost of a Rose