Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
clover

A Farewell to False Love

Pale lavender, sweet violet, balsam of Peru, and paperwhite narcissus.

This is a pretty lavender floral scent but it's not a real standout... I'm afraid it could be easily overlooked amongst my other lavender offerings. Still, a very nice one to have and should be very appealing to those who like a less sharp lavender.

On me, this smells like a soft narcissus with a whisper of lavender behind it. It smells a little sad. Not tear-jerky sad, but I'd say it's on the melancholy side. It's a soft scent, and it feels pale in color.

I've worn this a couple of times since I received a decant of it, and I have to say, it has a very calming effect on me. I think it's not just the lavender in it, it's also that the scent is so unobtrusive. It's just there, being pretty, not being loud or calling too much attention to itself, just hanging around being soothing.

Wet: a really astringent lavender. Makes me think of vinegar, almost. Something salad-y. It sweetens as it dries, thanks to the violet, but narcissus rarely works on me and is doing its soapy thing already. This would be nice if you like really fresh florals and if these notes all work on you.

This one is a lavender and narcissus blend. It's soft, pretty, white floral with a hint of melon, if you ask me. I think the melon note might be the violet.

Pretty.

i think that farewell to false love may be one of those scents that i have to try to ride out the first five minutes and then i'll like it.

if anything, surprisingly, farewell to false love doesn't have a strong enough lavender scent for me. in the imp it's an odd lavender mix that reminds me of lavender candies.

wet though there's something that reminds me unpleasantly of meat. i have no idea what there could be in this imp that smells like meat on me. the only thing that i can think of is that some of the scents i tested yesterday managed to survive multiple washings and are interacting.

dried down and after several minutes i get something like the lavender and violet candies that i got in the imp. it's a fairly light scent and i was really hoping for more lavender. i have lavender oil that i may end up layering with it, because the actual scent isn't bad. i'm just not getting that much lavender out of it.

Dry, herbally lavender. It is almost straight up lavender and combined with balsam it adds this woodsy feel. The balsam also adds dryness. Once it has a chance to drydown the balsam tapers off, the violet and narcissus appear and together with the lavender seem to morph into this very soft herbal floral blend.

Lavender and narcissus with just a hint of dusty wood, which I believe is the balsam. Very light and perfect for a rainy, sort of melancholy day (like today!).

I get strong lavender at the start, and then quite a bit of violet. I'd been looking for a violet I could like, and with the lavender, this seems like a strong contender.

It's soft and very feminine, but I'm sure I can muster up a mood that would suit it.

Imp: Yeah. Lavender. Balsam of Peru is sort of like... not vanilla, but tonka. A mild, sweet, kind of milky resin. A little... bit of that sour milk smell, as well. Odd.

Wet: W... T... F...???? Burning rubber. Lavender and burning rubber. Mouse pad foam to be exact. Super weird.

Dry: It's the narcissus. It used to work. It doesn't anymore. I smell like mouse pads, a little lavender and some Balsam of Peru warmness. The violet is so delicate that it's utterly lost under the BURNING MOUSE PAD SMELL!!!

Throw: Of course it's strong. When has burning mouse pads ever said "dainty"?

Overall: Clearly this is an issue with my skin chemistry because I refuse to believe that there are a subset of people in the world who want to smell like burning rubber.

In the Imp: Violet is in this, great (/sarcasm). Thankfully it smells pretty purely of lavender, and surprisingly not BPAL's usual astringent type, but the fresh plant variety. I'm safe from rotting corpse smell. For now.

Wet: I get all the notes except violet. Please, please stay like this. The lavender and white narcissus are delicately sweet with the balsam making things sleek and... oily, I guess you could say. Ever notice that it's in a lot of the Steamworks scents? This is why. But it's not a gross car oil, more like a natural cooking oil or a near scentless herbal oil you would use in a facial product.

Dry: I think this is the first time violet has ever let me enjoy a scent it was in. Score! It remains exactly the same as in the wet stage, except with even more balsam coming through.

Verdict: I think this scent just confirms my love of balsam, but other than that it isn't anything that spurs me to hunt down more decants. I peg it on my general dislike of florals, but at least I wasn't horribly repelled like I imagined.

Lavender is one of my favorite scents and, with few exceptions, it doesn't like to show up on my skin. This isn't one of those exceptions. This totally reminds me of Werepuppy for some reason, a scent I ended up selling off - maybe the balsam in this or something is also in the dirt note in Werepuppy. Also reminds me of the leather in Bow and Crown of Conquest, go figure.

Edited by reconditarmonia

ITB: In the bottle, the scent is herbal from the lavender and perhaps a little green. The lavender, however, seems to overpower everything else at this stage.

Wet: Lavender, balsam, and something that reads as a light cream to my nose. It's pretty but also a little forlorn.

Dry: After 6 hours, I really can't smell the scent anymore. I have to go through several reapplications before I can test the dried scent. After it has dried, I get expensive lavender soap with a touch of balsam. The notes really didn't live up to my expectation when dried, but it's still nice and clean.

Wheeeeee, right out of the box, I have the patience of a five year old at Build a Bear.

OK! Wet, Lavender & cheese?????? Hmmm....drydown more violet-y, very very nice.

I love this one, it's just sharp at the very beginning, then it becomes lush and flowery.

I am on a violet kick lately, this one really is making me happy.

Initially, this is brisk lavender and candied violets, with something a bit reminiscent of scented floral soap. The drydown after the initial lavender blast is much softer and a bit sweeter. In my case, the drydown came across as really faint at first because the lavender was so strong right out of the vial. It's rather pretty at this stage, but I don't think I'll be needing a big bottle.

In decant: I'm getting lavender and balsam, a bit sharp and "perfumey".

Wet on skin: lavender, balsam, and that paperwhite narcissus. I think the violet is giving this a softer tone, almost an orris-y feel. The lavender is pretty sharp to my nose, although it does soften as it dries. I think the narcissus is turning a touch powdery as well, as I'm getting it more and more the longer it stays on my skin.

Dry: this one dries into an orris-y violet and lots of powder. Well, okay, there's a sliver of lavender, but other than that...where has everything gone?

Verdict: well, definitely not for me.

Imp: LAVENDER. And... raspberry?! Nice rich wood.

Wet: LAVENDER. Seriously, I smell like one of those heat-sacks you stick in the microwave. With more flower plonked on top.

Dry: As it warms up, the wood starts coming through. It turns into something sweet and crisp and fresh over the rounded lavender and the richness of the resin – I thought I wasn't going to like this, when I put it on, but oh dear – I do seem to! Apparently I'm willing to wear florals if they are understatedly sweet and not overly polleny; I'm thinking a half-dried bundle of flowers left on top of a woodpile in spring, as the days are just starting to get warm.

I automatically consider lavender blends "sleep blends" and that's what I'll use this one for. The lavender isn't really that prevalent - the floral notes (violet, narcissus) are the stars. But, they brush up against the peaceful somnolence of lavender and lull me into a quiet calm place.

Predominantly lavender with something else vaguely floral underneath. It's soft and mellow, rather than the stronger herbal lavender I associate with scents like TKO. Very pretty and feminine.