Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
naeelah

Lover's Parodies of Sumo Holds

Tangerine, pikaki, tonka, ti leaf, jasmine, opoponax, and benzoin.

First Impression: Tangerine.

Dries down to: The tangerine disappears and a minty note with an underlying hint of tobacco creeps in.

Additional comments: This one totally confounds me. I know there's no mint or tobacco but I smell both notes. The tangerine is very fleeting and the rest of the notes just seem to muddle together into a pipe tobacco scent.

Lasted: A few hours.

Rating: 2 out of 5

In the imp, Lover's Parodies is all lovely, bright, gorgeous tangerine. Wet, it is all tangerine and jasmine...mostly jasmine as my skin amps jasmine (it also generally turns jasmine to soap).

As it dries a sweet resin and a soft woody undertone begin to mellow the bright floral/fruit. The jasmine also tones down quite a lot. The ti leaf also starts to come out. What is interesting about this one for me is that all of the notes seem to stand apart from one another very uniquely, while at the same time melding into one very complex scent. They are all wrestling for supremacy, tangerine fighting jasmine fighting ti leaf fighting resin. In light of the scent's name, this seems very appropriate, however it is a bit unsettling.

I think this is quite lovely. Bright and grounded all at the same time, but it is not a 'me' scent. I may well hold on to the imp for times when I want something very different from my usual, but I don't need any more than that.

Lover’s Parodies of Sumo Holds

In the imp: there is some darker oil at the bottom of the decant. The scent is a really lovely tangerine.

Wet on skin: ginger? I have no idea why I smell spices in here, but this is spicy tangerine.

Dry: tangerine, spices, and myrrh. Not sweet opoponax, but something that smells like deep bittersweet aged myrrh resin, sticky but a lot drier in scent than opoponax usually is. It’s a rich spicy resin topped with sweet citrus. Then I realise that the combination of resin and ti leaf in here smells very similar to Ligur, only this time with a fruity scent to it, not a smoky one. The amazing thing is that for now, I don’t smell any floral notes.

After a while: this is really unusual in that the jasmine isn’t even showing up here, let alone turning nasty on me! I smell a hint of velvety tropical flower petals, I think that’s the pikaki, but it’s the resinous notes which are strongest here. As well as tangerine, this scent is almost all about the opoponax. This note has a really dark and aged feel to it, and there’s even a hint of something almost boozy to it, like it’s been macerated in wine. This is the same deep smoky moody opoponax as the one in Ligur. A wonderful ancient myrrh scent with hints of spice and smoke, a faint trace of tonka and benzoin for sweetness. I’m also amazed as to how long the tangerine is hanging around here.

The bitter, dark and haunting opoponax still dominates the scent long after the tangerine leaves, and I just about smell the flowers trapped under the thick smoky resins. This is a really intriguing scent!

Verdict: this one really took me by surprise. I was expecting a very floral scent with hints of citrus and resin. But what I get is actually very strong resin with a splash of citrus and a very gentle floral undertone. In here, after an intro of spiced tangerine that lingers for longer than usual, the opoponax rules supreme, and it’s dark, rich, bittersweet and smoky. I love it when opoponax and benzoin do this, and it reminds me of a drier Event Horizon with a hint of Ligur and a spicy orange scent. the flowers only come out at the end. I like this more than I expected but it’s not my favourite dark resin scent. I think the flowers make this smell a bit weird on me, a bit more bitter than usual? But it’s not the ‘jasmine of doom’ reaction I was fearing. Not bad, and very unusual and different.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Maybe, but I have other opoponax/myrrh/benzoin scents I prefer. This smells a bit strange to me?

If you like this, try: Ligur, Vampire Tears, Event Horizon, Butterflies and Plovers, Three Gorgons

Lover's Parodies of Sumo Holds- Well, while it was was on, it kind of smelled like sweaty thong. But I think the Lovers got kind of freaked out by that Octopus watching them from the bushes, so they ran out the first chance they got.

You need to give this one a chance!

Soapy and weird at first and totally not meshing with my skin..the jasmine and tangerine are blending....but not nicely. Japanese hair tonic. Not so strong.

HOWEVER.

It dried quickly to something that kept wafting and i was wondering what smelled good. It dries super lovely dammit. It's complex and light and it's something that you want to keep smelling on your skin. I think jasmine and my skin act weirdly at first but play together nicely on dry down. The good news with this one is that you don't have to wait too long.

Mmm, wet it's tangerine and tonka. As it dries, it gets a slightly musky quality to the tangerine, like bodies rubbed with orange oil that are getting nice and sweaty, then a green note comes out to back them. It doesn't last, though. I'd say an average wear-length on me is between an hour and hour and a half. Which is too bad, because it's a very nice scent for a spring day.

In the bottle – Tart orangena with a dirty back drop

Wet on me – A light sweet citrus with slightly floral edges

Dry on me – A sweet musky skin scent with just a hint of fruit

Overall – I like this blend a lot

This blend was a light, cheerful, slightly "shallow" citrus on me when I first applied it. After a little while, it pretty much totally disappeared. :P

I'd blame my nose for being too stupid to pick up all the undoubtedly complex notes, but the husband couldn't smell anything, either. I'll give this blend another try or two just to allow for any random weirdness that might have occurred with my chemistry that day, but if it doesn't do better then it's off to the swaps.

This was not at all what I would expect from a blend with those notes. I wore it today (after being frimped it by the generous ivyandpeony!! ) without looking at the notes again, so I didn't recall what was in it. As I wore it, it smelled of green tea, slightly sweetened with a citrus - it was clean, green, refreshing - only mildly sweet and perfect for a hot summer day like today.

So I was totally shocked to see jasmine in this, which I did not get at all (which is a small bpal miracle). Also the opoponax was a no show on me, which is also good since that note frequently goes wonky on me.

Overall, very pretty scent and goes well with this sweltering weather we are having here in the Midwest!

Happiness in a bottle! It's a sweet, lightly creamy, fizzy orange citrus. My friend's first reaction was "holy crap, Fanta!"

Gets a little more floral as it dries, and doesn't last long on my skin. But while it's there, it never loses that bright effervescent cheer. Definite scent-locket winner.

Of all the Smutty Woodblock series, I have to say that this is the one that best captures how fun sex is. Love it!

Lobster Rating

better than: actually rolling in hay

Some kind forumite gave this to me as a sniffie. Of course you end up loving what you can't have!! I'm a citrus fan, so this is right up my alley. I don't see tobacco, but this to me is all citrus and pipe tobacco, which I also love. Not sure what this would be, benzoin maybe, as tobacco is not listed. Seems like an odd combination, but it works for me!!

I can't quite believe I've never reviewed this one as it is definitely one of my favorite scents. It has mellowed a bit with age from a strong initial blast of tangerine to a softer citrusy floral (the jasmine is gentle in this, definitely not a brain attacking jasmine!) with that wonderful hint of opoponax underneath. This is an elegant sexy scent that I love wearing out on a date. It sticks pretty close to my skin but if someone gets close enough to smell it they always love it.

This starts out very citrusy - a blast of tangerine, as others have noted. There's an underlying creaminess to it though, provided by the resins, smoothing it out. There's also a slightly dry, herbal bitterness - but not bad bitterness, just a tempering element. I can also smell hints of jasmine and pikake, but they're very understated. I agree with what someone else said about this blend - it's the sophisticated, worldly aunt of biggerCritters. Unfortunately, it fades rather quickly on my skin. Still, another example of the genius that Beth exhibited with the Shungas.

This started out as a delightfully fresh citrus scent, but the jasmine is already twisting and perverting it :evil: Damn you, skin chemistryyyyyyyy! It's turned to a sour mix up of jasmine and chemicals. Off to the swaps.

In the bottle it smells like a tart tangerine with a very tiny bit of something kind of sharp, probably the jasmine. On me, it is a huge hit of tangerine and it's pretty much all I smell at first. When it starts drying down, the jasmine comes up a little more to warm up the scent and deepen it a bit. It's a little bit like drinking jasmine tea that's been spiced with a squeeze of citrus. This is so pretty and I love it!

Overall impressions: Dish soap, but not in the bad way you normally associate with that term.

Wet: CITRUSwhoosh, a warm, vibrant citrus, not the cool kind I was expecting--I expect that that is the benzoin and tonka doing their work.

Drying down: The tonka has blossomed beautifully. This became complex very rapidly. I probably wouldn't have pegged this as tonka, with my immature nose, without having seen it listed already, but that is unmistakably what it is. There's a sort of warm vanilla-y smell that isn't tonka which I am going to assume is the benzoin.

Dry: The waft on this is mostly warm, vibrant tangerine. Closer to the skin it's all tonka, with a slightly acidic edge from the citrus, and a smoky twist. The smoke occasionally comes out in the throw--tangerines and smoke! It's gorgeous. The scent clinging close to my skin is almost, surprisingly, feral--not a word I normally associate with blends that don't have a ton of musk, but oppoponax is always slightly dangerous-smelling on me, and tonka can be, depending on what it's sitting around with.

Citrus tends to vanish into my skin after just a few minutes, but I've been really impressed with the wearlength on Sumo, and a bit, er, overimpressed with the throw--maybe I'm just amping something like crazy, but I feel like I am sitting in a cloud of Sumo after just one swipe of the imp wand.

After a while the smoke and tonka mellow and this becomes pretty dish-soapy, but not in an offputting way. It's quite clean and lovely and if I had more than a half an imp I'd be scenting my furniture with it--it would make a nice room smell.

I don't play well with jasmine, so that note is always a gamble, and luckily I don't get it at all out of this. I do, however, amp smoky smells, so YMMV.

Clean, but mature! More complex than you'd expect from the wet stages. Happy smell, but not ecstatic--just smiling a little.