Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
clover

The Passionate Shepherd To His Love

Heather, clover, Irish moss, English ivy, tea rose, and carnation.

On me, The Passionate Shepherd is ivy and moss over carnation with a hint of tea rose. It's very pretty. While it's not my usual scent, I do like it and I'm glad I bought a bottle.

Lovely! Very very strong carnation blend with a smattering of greenness in the background which must be the clover. My skin has never amped up carnation quite like it does with this blend. This is very romantic, and usually I'm not a floral person, but this is very striking. It has medium throw and lasting power, but is notably stronger than many florals are on me.

Very pretty, perhaps not my favorite, but very feminine and first date-ish.

The Passionate Shepherd to His Love – The ivy, which is not one of my favorite notes, is the dominant note in this blend. It’s joined by the very green scents of the heather and clover, tempered by the husky tea rose and spiced up just a tad by the carnation. It’s a very green, outdoorsy scent and reminds me of the rolling green hills of Scotland with the stone barricades built around them. It’s a bit too green for my personal taste, but I imagine those that love greenery would really love this blend.

The beeswax-less sister of Her Voice. I expected very green and planty, as someone had compared it to Garden Path with Chickens, but on me the dominant note, as in Her Voice, is carnation. It’s a fresh, almost aquatic, but softly sweet floral note that makes it really hard to distinguish any of the other notes, so they turn into a sort of generalized shady-meadowy background. It’s very “English” to me, because it’s so cool and dewy. A very good spring floral without being conventionally floral; I just wish that it was a little more grounded, instead of being all sweet-cool.

Summary: Sweet carnation over cool meadow plants.

Bottle: a field of green grass and clover

Wet: stays very green, heather, grass, clover, ivy, clean and crisp

Dry: the spiciness of the carnation and the moss note come out as this dries, the tea rose is there but in the background, this is still mostly bright green

This is lovely. Exactly as I expected. I wanted a green field and I got a green field filled with heather and clover. This is a clean scent, very strong, and perfect for spring and summer.

Perfect. I was really excited for this, and the Shepherd did not disappoint.

In the bottle: Newly mown grass! Clover! It is gloriously fresh and deep and lovely.

Wet: This smells like a meadow--pretty much all heather and clover at this point and utterly evocative of a spring day, the greenest hills, and blue sky with big white clouds.

As it dries, the heather/clover remain the most prominent notes, but the distinctive bite of ivy (I LOVE the smell of English ivy, by the by. It is so...interesting) and the very subtle florals add an incredible depth and complexity--The rose behaves very well (no sign of evil potpourri rose)...and the carnation is just barely distinguishable.

This doesn't smell just like every other grass/clover scent out there. It is something unique and beautiful. Love!

Very similar to Her Voice, but definitely more grassy-clovery smelling. The rose is very much a member of an ensemble cast for this blend. No small feat since it tends to be a bit of a diva note :P. This is such a lovely green, planty scent...very balanced, and very lovely. It's one of my current favorites.

bottle:green and earthy floral; damp, like the smell of earth and grass and flowers after an early-morning downpour

wet: sharper, greener. like I stuck my face in a planter; much less floral.

dry: the florals are reappearing, but very subtle. less sharp greenness. it's the scent of outdoors and damp and flowers clinging to the skin of a woman who works out of doors in the fields at daybreak.

later: something has grown rather sharp on me, here, and I suspect it's the tea rose (which oft doesn't like me) misbehaving in combination with ivy (I think, since I'm not getting any of the other florals from this at all, at this point, and I know I can wear the moss). Alas, it hates my skin.

Not something I can really wear, but probably the ultimate spring room scent.

Grassy, sweetly herbal goodness with an edge of bitter ivy, like romping through an overgrown English garden after a June rain. The flowers don't really make their appearance until the first edge of GREEN! has worn off. On my skin, the rose comes out more strongly on the drydown, while on fabric it's mainly carnations. This is a bright grass-green and deep pink scent. Not unexpected in any way, but quite lovely.

I've had the Passionate Shepherd on my wishlist for awhile--I am crazy for both rose and ivy, so I hope those are prominent. Wet, I get both rose and carnation in equal measure. This pleaseth me not. I like my rose to be slightly chilly and green, and carnation is so warm and spicy that it cancels it out. On the drydown the nice green background notes start to come out, which helps. Ultimately, though, I'm getting really picky because my collection is getting out of control, so I don't think the Passionate Shepherd will be joining my BPAL Rose Garden. The carnation is a faux-pas on his part. :P It's a beautiful blend, though, and I think my mom or my sister might accept the Shepherd's invitation to be his love. I'll pass him on and see.

To me, this smells exactly like lying down in a field of fresh purple clover. Which is exactly what I was hoping it would smell like. I LOVE that smell! But somehow, I don't want ME to smell like that... So I'm happy and somehow dissapointed at the same time? It's exactly what I wanted, and I wouldn't swap it, but I don't think I'll wear it that much. I'd make a room spray, as someone else suggested, but it REALLY is the ultimate clover scent for me, and it's LE... *sigh*

I wore this in my scent locket one day.

In the locket, it was all green clover. Green. Grass. Clover.

I had my friend smell it and she said ... "clean. fresh. dryer sheets?" *facepalm*

It gave me a headache after a while. I'll have to try it on my skin next and see if it morphs.

at first this scent is very green and clean, but it dries down to a beautiful floral combination of soft rose and carnation, made springtime-fresh with the addition of ivy. i do love me some carnation, but this is a little too light and wispy for my taste.

Green scents are my thing, so I was thrilled when I read the reviews of this and even more so when I snagged a decant.

Out of the bottle it smells like subtly spicy clover and ivy and white flowers. I really like this, I had to put it on immediately.

Immediately after application, it's all green and fresh. Green roses is the best thing I can think of to describe what I'm smelling.

After a few minutes I smell roses coming forward, but still grounded by a strong green note. I love this. As long as the rose stays where it is, the Passionate Shepherd can call me his love anytime.

In the bottle: a spring meadow of carnation, clover and heather.

Wet on skin: aquatic Irish moss, the heather blooms, more wildflowers.

Dry: Very fresh and beautifully botanical. A damp green scent with lush wildness, a soft rose. The carnation spiciness is there for a while. After a hour or so--a gorgeous field of heather and clover. Very bouyant and pastoral! Reminds me ofSinging Moon without the fires...another winner!!!!

:P

Smooth, clean (but not dryer sheet or Irish Spring soap) green, clover-y. Yankee makes a fantastic candle called "Greenhouse," and this smells just like it.

Holy-freaking-moley! This is in your face and all over the place clover :eek: I really like clover and it reminds me of a less green and more clover-flower The Schoolhouse. Throw is intense! My classmates told me I smelled like I'd rolled in a floer bed on my way to class :lol: Not in a bad way, just in a really STRONG way! I love it, but I'll probably wear it in smaller doses from now on.

Imp: Green

Wet: Clean and green! Must be the clover. I love how fresh this is!

Drydown: This is like laying in a big open field on a summer's day. I think my favorite part is that it's green without smelling like grass

Overall: Love it. It's sweet and green and great. Since this is from last year's Luper's, I'll bet it's harder to get than Giants tickets but if nothing else, I'll have this decant and I'll put it on the ol' wishlist. Who knows? I might get lucky

In the bottle: Whoa carnation & rose. You are dewy and lovely, but I don't know if I should wear you.

Wet: Y HALO THAR TEA ROSE. My imagery is definitely a wet meadow filled with spring flowers, and I love it. A bit overpowering, and I hope I don't make anyone's nose and eyes water. :|

Dry: Nearly eight hours after I put it on, it's still powerful, but it's soft and feminine and floral and wet and green. Now, I'm not usually really keen on florals, just because they smack too much of "normal" perfume, but for some reason, four people who don't talk to each other have all said this smells like sandalwood to them. That's amusing, obviously, since there isn't any sandalwood in it at all. Either way, it's one of my favorites, despite the floral.

IN THE IMP: Very fresh, wet and green. Strong clover, but no florals... yet.

WET: The soft rose starts to come out. The combination of the green notes and the florals are evocative of a field.

DRY: Sweet, soft florals, greenness from heather and clover. This smells exactly like a delicate spring meadow. Very evocative. Not my kind of scent, but it's lovely.

Oh, my, I have neglected this bottle since March of 2008, and I don't know if it has aged or if it was always this glorious and I didn't notice. Wet, it smelled like dandelions and grass. Now, about eight hours after I put it on, it smells like small, puny dandelions and wispy grass trying to grow on the mossy floor of a deep, dark green forest.

I found a decant of this after being absent form the forums for awhile and was so excited to smell it! So imagine my surprise when I put it on, and I've already worn this perfume, its one of my favorites. It's EXACTLY the smell I get from my Chaos bottle. I had thought then that it had lily and something fresh green in it -- but I had to go look up these notes, because whatever this is, is what's in my bottle =)

I don't smell the floral, although maybe the sharpness comes from the carnation? What I smell is damp and wet green - extremely realistic. I'm guessing the wet green that I loved is the clover/heather/ivy? so :wub2: is what I feel for this, but I won't have to track down a bottle!

In my head, I'm imagining that when my bottle of Chaos got made, the lab said -- oooo we should keep this one. I think Chaos is their testing ground!

Edited by CaudaPavonis

The clover, ivy and tea rose are most strong on me. I get almost no carnation, sadly. This is a green, fresh and floral springtime scent. Very pretty and feminine.

Bottle: A wonderful, fragrant field. Lots of green and dandelion-esque notes.

Wet: I feel like I'm in a field somewhere in cool weather - this isn't hot greens, they're nice and cool, like late afternoon in the encroaching fall.

Drydown: This doesn't seem to be morphing much, as I'm not getting any separation of notes or drastic amping or vanishing. Thus far it's pretty much on the skin what it is in the bottle.

Dry: More of the same, just fainter and little more perfumey and a stronger hint of the florals in this.

Would I ever wear this? Yes.

My rating: 5/5

Sniffed: Light, gentle florals with a dewy touch. Reminds me a bit of Water of Notre Dame: The Passionate Shepherd is a similar watery-green floral.

On skin: A combination of gentle, sweet florals and dewy greenery that is almost aquatic. The florals are more prominent, a bit perfumy but still well-behaved; I can make out the rose, and perhaps the carnation. Beneath the florals is wet greenery that's a bit mossy, a bit grassy. Over time the watery greenness fades in and out, whilst the florals gradually become more perfumy and "hazy" in feel. This is gentle, light, and sweet, but much like a conventional perfume.

Verdict: Meh, I'm indifferent. The Passionate Shepherd to His Love is lovely and romantic, but he doesn't stand out or give me compelling reason for loving him. The aquatic green would make it more interesting, but unfortunately those notes aren't too consistent. Furthermore, the first time I tried this blend, it turned into unpleasant, sour, decaying damp grass on my skin. Thankfully the Shepherd smells much better this time, but I'm a little wary of that changing mood. I think I'll stick to Water of Notre Dame for my preferred green-aquatic floral.

Edited by Vega