Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Limelight

Her Voice

Hyacinth, beeswax, wild roses, vanilla amber, lily of the valley, tiger lily, honeysuckle, carnation, and heliotrope.

I was hoping this would be beeswax, vanilla amber, and carnation on me >.>
Unfortunately, those were the notes I couldn't smell. I'll try it again sometime in case it dries to something yummy, but today the flowers were just too flowery and soapy, and I had to wash it off.
It does smell like the poem and it's nice to sniff, but it's not something I can wear :P

it's difficult to pick out notes in this, it smells like a fresh green floral. i think i am mostly getting hyacinth and rose though. something turns slightly sour which could be lily of the valley, but i am not entirely sure. the amber tempers the sharpness of the florals, once it has absorbed into the skin a bit more. very springlike and pretty.

HER VOICE

In Bottle: Fresh flowers

On Skin: This is very bright and slightly sour. Like the middle of a big bouquet of flowers. Some are super sweet, some a bit tart, and overall they have that fresh green alive smell. This to me is spring, and all the flowers that are opening in the beginning of the season. Very pretty, very warm and overall healthy and vibrant. I don’t smell each flower on it’s own, I smell the bouquet as a whole which is very nice. It’s feminine for sure and almost motherly. If you are a floral fan, try this scent right away.

This starts out as a very nice floral, but then ends up going downhill on me. :P It first smelled a lot like rose, then something went slightly sour, then it ended in powder and a dry, dry flower I couldn't place 'til I reread the notes...hyacinth, I believe. At least, that's as close as I come to figuring it out. It's not really my style, though it's a unique floral, and would be very nice on some women, I think.

I loved Her Voice when I first dabbed it on. I'm not a floral fan because florals tend to smell fake and musky to the point of being headache-inducing for me. I like floral scents when they smell like true flowers though, and Her Voice smells very natural to me at first. Green stems, dewy petals, and a mishmash of flowers with a honeyed, almost caramelized sweetness that I'm guessing is the beeswax. I have trouble picking out particular floral notes, and I couldn't guess at the flowers in this blend.

In the drydown, this gets a little too sharp and aggressive for me, as though the flowers are battling for dominance on my skin. Things start to get a little sour and soapy from the florals and the amber adds a dustiness to the mix. It's as though the beautiful bouquet went off a bit and was thrown out a car window on to a gravel road to get covered in road dust.

I can see how this one would be gorgeous on the right person, but I think there are too many flowers in the mix for me, along the dreaded dryness of the amber.

Edited by Tania

Do I have the same blend as everyone else on this page? :P All I can smell in the imp is vanilla and amber, and I get the same effect on my skin. This starts out as a really foody vanilla with a touch of besswax (honey) on me--I mean golden, cakey vanilla. This blend eventually sort of starts to smell floral on me, but the floral notes are just in the background of the vanilla/amber combination. In terms of the florals, I can pick out a little bit of carnation and a little bit of lily and a bit of honeysuckle. Indeed, the florals do get stronger as the blend dies down, and the lilies and honeysuckle are the strongest florals of all in this blend for me. This one has a really odd path on my skin--it's quite a morpher! This one is much warmer than the other fresh floral that I've tried from this collection (Passionate Shepherd).

oh god, WHY.

this should have been PERFECT. out of the imp and first on my skin it was fanTASTIC. I have been LOOKING for a hyacinth blend that would work on me for ages. and I was convinced this was it! it was SO good. it kept getting better and better for ten minutes or so. it was absolutely perfect...

and then, I forgot about it for a little bit and went to sniff it another ten minutes later... and was struck with the overpowering scent of tires on asphault baking in the hot sun.

what the FUCK? this was SO good! I can't even express my dismay. the only other blend that did this on me was roadhouse. could there be dandelion in this?

fuck. I mean, really. this was the shittiest letdown.

Edited by tehriaz

This is a floral I love to bits and will be purchasing a bottle ...soon, because it's going away. ^-^;;

It starts out a lovely lilac and rosy blush, then the rest of the flowers burst into full bloom. The beeswax mellows and sweetens it, but the rest of it is just this amazing swirl of flowery goodness. It seems like every time I snuffle my arm a different one has popped to the surface. Gah. Amazing.

It's not unlike a bouquet gathered from a garden right after a rain -- everything seems fresh and bright and slightly damp.

After a couple of hours the flowers die down and leave a very light, mellow beeswax and carnation haze. There's not a lot of throw and it's pretty gentle all the way through.

I'm so glad I got to try this out; it was one I threw into my decant circle request as a testament for my Wilde love and a random hope it might be nice, but I'm so going bottle route on this. So much lushness, and so much lovely.

This smells just like a bouquet of freshly cut flowers, or walking by the garden in the springtime. There is definitely a sharp green note. After a few hours, the sweetness of the flowers and beeswax comes out more and the sharp note fades, but it doesn't disappear completely. If the sharp note were gone, this would be perfect for me, but it's a little too much for me as it is. I'll be interested to see how this ages.

In the imp: The first thing I noticed is a high, sharp, green herbally scent that immediately reminded me of October and Oberot (two of my favorites!): that really unpleasant note in the bottle that resolves to something so incredibly wonderful on my skin. So from the beginning, I'm hopeful. Next to that: fresh florals, like in a florist's shop rather than sniffing a tropical flower. Under that... more of the same, light and bouyant and fresh and pretty. I'm not getting a hint of the amber, but maybe a teensy edge of the vanilla-yness, and none of the beeswax. Nope, just pretty and fresh florals.

On my skin: This goes through a lot of transformations. High and sharp, then unpleasantly green (rather than pleasantly green), and finally duskily but pretty floral. It ends up quite lovely, although probably not something very consistent with my identity. However, I'm starting to warm up to it. At which point, BAM! Quickly-descending headache.

Conclusions: Not another headache inducer! Good thing I just bought a new bottle of GRR...

ETA: Wow does it have staying power! I've scrubbed it 4 times...

Edited by alianthe

Straight out of the bottle I'm getting lily and honeysuckle. Maybe a hint of hyacinth.

On dry down, the rose comes out.

This is a very floral scent. I'm not horribly crazy about florals.

Edited by TwilightEyes

Her Voice

In the imp: a fresh and crisp scent of hyacinths and lilies. Beautiful, but will it be nice on me?

Wet on skin: agh, now it seems to be going very sour and sharp!

Dry: a strange mix of sour soapy flowers, sharp bitter greenery, and a promising hint of sweetness at the back. This is one of those fresh floral scents that despite smelling beautiful in the vial/bottle, smell terrible on me. There’s a hint of the ‘florist shop green’ scent to it, but that’s going very bitter on me. The hyacinth note that I smell is very true and genuine, but it’s drowned out by the bitter stems and screaming floral notes…I think it’s the lily of the valley and honeysuckle that are doing bad things on me…maybe also the tiger lily. Because the lovely notes-rose, vanilla amber, beeswax-are not detectable at all.

After a while: this gets even more bitter, not as wet and dewy, now it smells like dry wilted flowers and leaves with a bitter, harsh feel, and a bit of soap. However underneath those unpleasant notes, I smell the vanilla and beeswax. I wish those could come out a bit more…the floral/greenery in here overpowers those sweet notes too much. But this scent is teasing me…every now and then I get a honeyed vanilla amber that rises up in little wafts and I smell it in the scent’s throw, but when I sniff my wrist, all I get is bitter wilted flower stems and dead hyacinths.

The scent does get a little better over time. The bitter dry grass/stems/flowers scent still hangs around but now I smell more of the amber and beeswax, with more beeswax than amber, but I smell them both, a golden scent glimmering under the greenery.

The amber really comes out after a few hours and it is gorgeous and sweet, thanks to the vanilla. but that bitter green scent is still there, but it’s not as bad as before. Eventually the scent loses that bitterness (after about 6 hours) and then it smells a bit like O meets To Helen with a hint of Mouse’s Long Sad Tale, a lovely honeyed amber with a hint of floweriness. But I much prefer To Helen and Mouse’s Tale.

Verdict: sadly, this scent is a bit of a cacophony on me because of all the flower notes in here that turn bad once they hit skin. Lilies, honeysuckle, something harshly green like bitter stems and wilted grass, it’s really not good on me, at least for a few hours of wear. It does become a bit acceptable after a while when the notes I love (amber, beeswax) come out. The bitter green-soap-floral scent still sticks around, but the glowing sweetness of the vanilla amber and the honeyed scent of beeswax add a golden softness to the scent which I like, especially when it resembles Mouse’s Long and Sad Tale with added honey. But it’s not enough to make me keep this scent…I don’t think it’s worth waiting through hours of floral doom for that golden drydown when I can get something similar from other scents I much prefer.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Not really, despite smelling lovely at the end.

If you like this, try: Poisson D’Avril, Hi’iaka, Noche Buena, Witch Queen, Oval Portrait, Mouse’s Long and Sad Tale

When I first put it on this morning it was all carnation and lots of rose, now that the day is almost over it has changed to the beeswax and vanilla amber. Luck for me I like it both ways!

I couldn't place this at first - it's my first unsniffed 5ml, so I was a little nervous. Unfortunately my olfactory discernment is somewhat dulled at the moment due to a cold that came at just the wrong time, but I just got shock of florals from the bottle when I first sniffed. I resniffed when I returned home and realised that, just as inurbanus says, wet and in the bottle, it is the exact smell of a florist shop to me, which is wonderful as the inside of a florist shop is one of my favourite smells in the whole world. It's also a lovely fresh floral, which is a relief after my beginning floral binge became a dislike of florals that cloy too much. So far so good.

As it dries, the freshness does die down somewhat and it becomes a warmer floral, though not cloying, more wistful. I can definitely smell the beeswax. Unfortunately, it has by this point (about twenty minutes after application) faded beyond my limited sense range at the moment, so I can not say how this develops further.

Pretty overall, beautiful upon first application, but fades to become a little less interesting. Still a keeper, though, I suspect.

I still haven't made up my mind if I like this or not :P

It starts out very floral, cloying and piercing. Then the vanilla amber and the beeswax play tug-of-war for an hour or so until it fades. It's nice and all, but every time I wear it, I think "Do I really want to try it again?" or "What's that smell--oh, yeah, it's me!" Hmmm.... I've never been this waffly about a perfume before. I'll most likely end up swapping it. How's that for conviction.

Her Voice is an enormous gamble for me - florals as a rule are absolute distasters on my skin, turning soapy & sickening almost without fail... but hyacinth! Beeswax! I had to give it a shot...

Wet, Her Voice is chilly & greengreengreen, absolutely the florists'-shop-cooler scent described by other reviewers. It's a bitter floral, all stems & sepals, with a trace of soapy lily of the valley & purple hyacinth - amazingly, it's not awful on me, not yet. I would have to be careful when I wore it, though - I can definitely see migraine-potential if I wore it on an off day.

Once dry, the carnation & rose come out, along with a strange funky note that I cannot place for the life of me... sort of burnt, but not really... close & brown & decidedly weird. Is it the heliotrope? :P The vanilla musk? Maybe my chemistry doing something odd with the beeswax? Tough to say... luckily, it seems to be fading, and I can only detect it if I press wrist to nose, so it's not a deal-breaker. Her Voice finishes quickly, ending up a quiet, vegetal & floral blend - akin to Tzadikim Nistarim in a lot of ways.

Well bust my buttons - a big bunch of flowers that I didn't have to wash off! :D Her Voice isn't a big winner for me, but it is delicious in the vial, so I'll keep my decant & wear it in a locket for the days when I wish somone had brought me flowers...

ETA: Holy hell, folks. I reapplied. I missed Her Voice after it faded, mid-day. This is... monumental.

Edited by tartchef

this is a fresh almost wet floral possibly from the heliotrope, the only flower I could for sure pick out is hyacinth which is gorgeous. Lily is normally disaster for me but it didn't do that in this blend. I get no rose at all. As It drys the beeswax creates a creamy top layer and the honeysuckle and amber provide a powdery backdrop to a tiny drip of spice I am guessing provided by the carnation. very pretty and ethreal but i am not a floral person so alas off to swaps.

On me, Her Voice is a very green plant smell. I think I can smell floral notes, but they're way in the back. It's like someone handed me a bouquet stems-first. It's not a bad smell, but definitely not what I'm looking for. Someone else can have this.

I really wanted to love this. In the bottle, it is strong, bitter, and somewhat peppery. Pungent would be a good word for it. Wet on my skin it is all hyacinth. Now, while I love the smell of hyacinths (which is why I wanted this) they do not, apparently, love my skin chemistry and this ends up being nothing but bitter, strong, and...somewhat sharply green. The rose, which my skin usually amps, is no where to be smelled. And everything else is just buried under that pungency (is that even a word?)

It didn't work on my skin...but it smells GLORIOUS on my roomate (who I have successfully enabled). On her it is all...honeyed/beeswax florals, which is what I wanted it to smell like on ME! Foo.

Her Voice – This starts off as a screaming floral, high-pitched in every sense of the term. As it dries down, the florals settle down a bit and I can smell the beeswax as the dominant note. The carnation gives it just the slightest hint of spiciness, but there’s something in here – one of the florals – that is bitter and unpleasant on me. I think it’s the tiger lily. I imagine that fans of strong florals could potentially love this one. The throw is strong and the staying power is above average.

After a bad stretch of florals going rancid on me, I was really afraid that would happen here--the description is just so lovely, and I wanted so badly to adore it.

In the bottle, there is no other way to describe this than fresh flowers. Honestly, this smells like walking into a florist and inhaling the closest cut bouquet. Lilac, lily, carnation, hyacinth, greenery...it's all here.

Wet on my skin, I could smell a little more of the amber and beeswax but the green floral was still dominant. The amber was a little off-putting at first, but it mellowed out nicely.

Dry, it was very much beeswax and greenery. It was lush and somehow moist, like smelling flowers after a heavy summer rain. This is my PERFECT FLORAL and I can't believe I only bought one bottle. Oh, how I'm kicking myself right now.

In the imp: It starts off very floral with a light hint of roses, there's a sharp...pale green sort of note to it that I'm guessing is just all the florals at the moment.

Wet: Floral...I'm afraid it's going soapy on me!

Drying: It's warming to my skin now, I'm feeling more of the hyacinth and I can definitely identify the roses though they're not super strong. I think the very faint sweet note somewhere in the middle is the vanilla, only you can't tell it's vanilla or something else unless you know it's coming. Everything else is just...blended into the florals because I can't smell it.

Dry-fade: The florals aren't so sharp any more, which is nice, I like that. Vague, it's still a bit soapy though you can't really tell with the florals on. It wouldn't be something I would wear on a regular basis because it reminds me of my aunt...but if you like mature florals then I say go for it!

Edited by amnerine

This started... acceptably, with roses and what I'm thinking was the beeswax. Almost instantly, it turned to watercress, and by the time I scrubbed it off (before I left for the office) was limp watercress in old moldering rosewater. Ugh.

In the imp, sweetly green! Almost candy-like. Wet on the skin Her Voice turns into crisp, lush green with the barest hints of sweetness in the background. All Lily stems and leaves though, at first. Reminds me of Tiger Lily a bit.

After the first five minutes, the beeswax peeks through like burnt sugar on the emerging blooms. This might be the vanilla amber, too. I catch wafts of the carnations, but they really can't break through the crazy competition between the sharp greenery and sweet florals.

Throw is average, and the wear length is short - - just a couple of hours, but this is when the honey and other, softer notes appear. A very pretty blend for those who likes green, florals, and sweeter top notes.