Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
gris gris

The Sun

The Sun is similar to Eclipse, both having the same golden heliotrope/cinnamon combination. But wheras Eclipse is boldened with a strong almond Red-Hots feel, the Sun is more light and resinous. It is sweet, warm and radiant. It's not the unrelenting sun of a shadeless desert; it's more like a single golden ray beaming down on you, bringing joy and beauty to an otherwise gloomy day.

This is a warm (not hot), happy, golden scent. It's a very proud, elegant scent. I can't make out any of the individual smells (I can't seem to do this very well with any of the Tarot oils), but it just smells warm and happy. This is the perfect fragrance for a rainy day, to bring a bit of sunshine into your life. It definitely smells like something somebody with a lot of monetary wealth would enjoy wearing, it's a very rich scent.

Brilliant. Radiant. Sparkling. So many of our words reflect (!) the power and glory of light. When we turn on the light in a room, we illuminate it so that all the dark corners are visible. When we turn on the light in our minds, we are enlightened. We see clearly and understand the truth. Both within and without, the energy of light expands our limits and makes us shine.

Throughout history, people have honored the Sun as the source of light and warmth. In the myths of many cultures, the Sun is a prominent god - full of vigor and courage. He is the vital energy center that makes life on earth possible. In the tarot the Sun also symbolizes vitality and splendor. The Sun is definitely not a meek and retiring card.

In readings, you will understand Card 19 if you imagine yourself to be a Sun God. How do you think and feel? You have total confidence in yourself. You are not cocky, but profoundly sure of your power. You have unlimited energy and glow with health. You have a greatness about you and stand out brilliantly. Finally, you see and understand all that is happening within your sphere. When you see this card, know that you will be successful at all you undertake. Now is the time to let your light shine.  ~source

sunny, a lighter version of the bubbley smell that feu follet has, warm, energetic. i don't really have a sense of the smells, though...

Heliotrope and sparkling citrus notes are what I get. No cinnamon or spice note for me, but I love this one.

It's light, it's orange-yellow, and the warmth of heliotrope (named for the sun it moves to follow across the sky each day) makes wearing this scent like sitting in a pool of sunlight on an early autumn day.

By the way, when I say it's light, I don't mean that it doesn't have "throw" or intensity. This is lush and complex, with distinct presence.

I love, love, love this scent.

I really don't have anything new to add to the other reviews but I am so taken by the oil that I wanted to post anyway.

It is indeed warm, uplifting, and light but with a strong presence. It definitely has a bubbly quality to it that I have smelled in a couple other oils. I wish I knew what ingredient does that. I can smell cinnamon or something like it and maybe grapefruit?

I’m not sure what scent category to put this in, it doesn’t seem to quite fit in any of them…so how about wonderful?

~Roja

I though, being a Leo and all that, that this scent would be great for me. I was wrong. Literally, it made me nauseous and took my breath away, both out of the imp and on.

I couldn't isolate any of the notes, because I was too busy having such a visceral reaction to the odor.

Then again, I'm kinda of the opinion that the Celestial/Tarot/Voodoo oils are more for magical use than for use strictly as a perfume/cologne oil... so I trust more in Beth's vision and alchemical mixes than in my own nose in these instances. So, I'd Work with it... I just won't wear it.

Very citrussy. I really like this one. I can't smell any cinnamon in it though.

Initial Sniff: In the bottle, this smells like sickly sweet citrus. I fear a cleaning product scent.

Wearing: This is delightful. It is warm, fresh, and inviting. I'm not a huge fan of predominantly citrus scents, but this is really nice. I don't really get a cinnamon/spice note, but there is something besides citrus in there - possible a touch of amber?

Final Impressions: I am really pleased with this scent - it totally suits my summer sun-bunny side! I can see wearing this one in the summer - just for fun - and also in the winter when I'm a little short of sun in real life.

Edited by paperdoll

I'm not using the Tarot Oils for magickal purposes, so I'm reviewing this based on the way it smells. This is definitely a hot scent. This isn't a bright sun, but a sun that is fuzzy (i.e. not well defined) around the edges. It still beats down upon you. The cinnamon isn't apparent (thank gods!), but there's something I've never smelled before that makes it really warm, which I suppose is the heliotrope. At one point, I was reminded of not-so-sweet shredded coconut. It didn't seem all that citrus to me, either.

this is a summer's afternoon in a bottle. grapefruit, honey, jasmine/honeysuckle. there's a resiny underbelly that keeps it strong, but not over-bearing. it surrounds me like a golden halo. i love it so much, i can't even begin to tell you. it's very comforting to me.

it smells lovely layered with O.

The Sun is a warm, sparkling scent. The heliotrope is gorgeous, a soft kind of orange (as in the fruit) scent with a tiny bit of spiciness that others may detect as cinnamon, although I can't make out the cinnamon myself. There is some resinous note that grounds this, possible amber or myrrh. Lasts about 2 hours which is pretty good for a citrus scent.

Definitely an orange smell--both in the sense of the color and the fruit. It isn't a strong, cleaning kind of citrus though. It's softer, backed by a cloud of something fluffy and subtly spicey. A nice fragrance, but it didn't last long, nor was it really something that was really 'me.'

Mmm. This one is a keeper.

Orange, sweet and fruity, a little spice. Very warm and inviting. As far as a 'Sun' scent goes, this one is dead on. It has a very 'out on a warm summer afternoon' kind of feel to it for me. And yet, as it wears down, it almost has a very inviting evening type scent to it. I think of the "Sun" card from the Thoth deck when I imagine a Tarot card to go with this one. All the warm light, and sunbeams... the brightness, and the joy.

Gorgeous.

-Leslie

I find the Tarot blends hard to review, and the Sun is no exception. To me, this smells incredibly bright, but grounded and fierce as well. The only note I pick up is citrus, in the yellowest way possible. Strangely I can't smell it in the oil burner, but it lasts ages on my skin.

Ohmygoodness, I need a big bottle right now.

All I get is frankincense and cinnamon, with just a touch of floral. But it's so beautiful, and it's like a second skin scent. It's warm and inviting, and I can see wearing this as an every day scent.

Alas, the imp leaked in transit, so I only have a little bit of oil, so I will slather and buy a big bottle as soon as I can. :P

I love the Tarot oils! I wear them with intent, when I need to draw the energy of the card into my life, and I wear the Sun often.

I also get heliotrope and citrus and I'm not sure what else. I don't smell cinnamon, which really stands out on me...I can usually catch it in any fragrance its in. There is something sweet in here beyond the heliotrope...I'd like to say vanilla because it has a slightly vanilla edge, but I don't think it really is vanilla. Someone else guessed amber, and I'd second that...sometimes I read amber as vanilla-y....and amber would be appropriate, wouldn't it, given its warm golden qualities?

I agree, this is warm not hot, and does resemble a softer version of eclipse, which of course I love as well.

It does fade fast, but if you want to bring the warmth and comfort and success of the sun trump, (or perhaps sun for the god?) then I suggest you try this. I just love it and am so happy I got a big bottle.

and a note: Pikeana, we must have similiar tastes/skin chemistry because I keep writing reviews after you and we catch the same notes and seem to like the same things! :P

Hrm... heliotrope and lemon grass? Those were the only notes I THINK I was able to pick out and even then I'm not certain as I'm not very good at pegging notes. Warm, bright, sunny, and cheerful. This did what most lemony scents to on me when they don't go pledge and turned into lemon parfait. A nice, bright and illuminating scent but not for me. I will note that while I enjoy trying the tarot oils, I don't use them in any sort of ritual way so I can't quite comment there. :P

Smells exactly like a melting orange creamsicle on me. With a whiff of bain de soleil spicy-carnation-amberness in the background.

Which is a very, very good thing. :P Especially when its 28 degrees and slushy out.

yes this is golden orange, it is a very sweet, creamy citrus, iagree w/ the previos poster it is almost a creamsicle.

The Sun

When I first applied this I laughed out loud. I could smell fresh oranges and pictured a golden sun.

As this dries I’m getting a dry, spicy feel, much like cinnamon, no corresponding rash though ( I suffer the red weal cinnamon reaction with about 50% of the oils that I know contain it, the others I am fine with) so maybe it is allspice or my nose playing tricks.** That’ll teach me!! On my second test I applied to the crook of my arm (no testing space left elsewhere!!), this time I have a slight rash and itchiness, so my money is on cinnamon, but in relatively low concentration. 30 minutes later the rash has gone.** I can still smell spicy orange with the occasional whiff of what I think is musk.

As others have mentioned, there is something heavier grounding this. At times it smells warm and woody and other times I’m not sure. It doesn’t *feel* like myrrh (which is usually very identifiable on my skin) and there is no ‘scorched’ note. I even keep detecting a very faint smell of tea.

This is bright, warm, happy and I love it.

Warm, close-to-the-skin hot oranges scent, with a touch of something earthy. This oil really feels like taking a deep breath and feeling the sun expand within your heart -- it's expansive, regal, late-afternoon African sunlight shining through the dust and grass of the savannah.

:P

The Sun

In the bottle: Lemon and sugar. This smells yellow! :D

On me: Lemon and sage, or something lightly green. It stays lemony sweet, with maybe a hint of vanilla. You know the powdery sugary candy – it’s like that. :P

Hmm, citrus and woods? Some herby notes as well. It's turning sweeter, but still citrusy. Kind of like sweet tarts or smarties. As it settles the woody notes come out a bit, but they don't take over the sweet tart vibe.

Bitter orange! And a warm, slightly sweet spicy note...maybe some amber in there too? I can't really see this so much as a perfume, but it really would make an incredible ritual oil :P

The Sun

This was a part of the Tarot swap - since I need to review all of them in a very short time, this will be a brief review.

Preconceived notions:

Strangely, I think it should smell like second stage (pina colada) of The Star...

In the vial:

Nope :P. Mostly grass and cinnamon.

On me:

Yep, grass, cinnamon, and some kind of sweet aquatic (lotus?), and some kind of citrus - a sharp orange, on the edge of being lemon. This is definitely sunny.

In 50 minutes:

Completely gone.

Overall:

It fades too quickly :D.