Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
DangerInRed

Fascinum

Golden amber, golden musk, litsea cubeba, cedar, and saffron.

in the bottle amber-y with cedar
wet on skin hello, SOAP!
dry on skin the soap goes far away and this morphs wildly between soapy, spicy, and incense-y before finally settling down to a musky amber that's feminine and earthy and very wearable.

This is almost citrus acidic on me. Light, sharp and nose-tickling. I really almost get a lemony tint from Fascinum. This may mellow out after I've worn it longer, but as is I think it's off to the swaps :(

An appealing lemon in the bottle that goes quickly to a powdery cedar on my skin. As usual cedar is not my friend.

I think this will be a great summer scent for Mr. Isis.

In the bottle – It does actually smell golden, although cedar is the only note that I can identify

Wet on me – Cedar and something citrusy

Dry on me – The cedar remains the prominent note as the rest becomes dry and bitter

Overall – As cedar is my least favourite of the listed notes, this is not the result I wanted to see

In the imp: Warm, spicy-sweet and aromatic—reminds me of a classic Oriental cologne. Definite amber, with some cedar and saffron.

On, wet: Wow, much more cedar and lemony something (the litsea cubeba?). Not overpowering, but definitely much stronger than the amber at this point. I'm getting a LOT of musk, too. :eek: I think "savory" is the wrong word, but this certainly isn't sweet. Hmm. I'm not in love with this stage.

Later: Aaaand we're back in balance, thankfully. Amber and musk are most prominent, with an undertone of the cedar and saffron. Now it's really very pleasant, deep and resinous—like I initially thought, a warm, classic Oriental cologne with a slightly exotic tinge. Unisex.

Overall: There's a brief funky phase during the dry down that I don't much care for, but it resolves very quickly. Otherwise, it's pleasantly warm, golden and spicy—very nice, but not a total stunner for me. I'd definitely give it a try if you're into amber and musk, though.

This reminds me of Bengal, more more like an advent calander I had when I was a child: kind of lemony and spicy with the amber. Dries out a little musty like Haunted does on me. :( Swap.

In the imp: Incense with a hint of cedar.

On, wet: There's something kind of... "minty" isn't the right word, but almost like menthol or eucalyptus or something that I'm detecting in this. It's not the cedar, because that's apparent, too. Something about this is very light and airy and enjoyable.

On, dry: Incense, with a vague touch of cedar in the background. Fairly musky, but with light, powdery characteristics. I can't see myself wearing this, but it could be lovely on the right person.

All I can think of is that I smell like an autumny Yankee Candle.

Edited to add : not that this is a bad thing. I love the spice, but I think it'll be a fall season scent for me. I'll have to give it a full wear, though as I'm too impatient with things.

Edited by scarrengirl

Thank goodness for frimps, or I wouldn't have tried this. Cedar is a big no note, while I don't mind saffron when I encounter it, I don't look for it, and I have no idea what litsea cubeba is. On, I'm enveloped in a heavy golden cloud. I haven't worn Mantis in years, but I think I recall its golden musk as being similar. The scent is a bit perfumey, but it's such a glorious gold that I don't mind. I get headaches daily, and wore this while having my headache and at my grandfather's memorial without being in headbanging pain, so I guess if that perfumeyness was going to be bothersome, it would have been then, and it wasn't bad. The cloud of scent is strong and lasts for several hours. Once it's really dried down, I'm not sure what it smells like- I've either been distracted by other things or annoyed at another scent and couldn't separate them out. But I do so love the wet and freshly dry phase. Thanks for the frimp, lab!

Fascinum was a colossal disappointment. On my boyfriend, it smelled like soap. Still, I figured it was worth a shot on me. I dabbed some on and was horrified that it immediately turned to soap. I can't place what brand, but it is certainly a very familiar scent. A little citrusy, a little spicy and cologney. I kept sniffing at it, hoping that it would suddenly get better after it dried, and while definitely smelled some inimitable saffron spice and great cedar wood (I totally wanted this for the cedar), they were only bit players embedded in the soapy mixture... I have a feeling "golden" musk smells a lot like plain old clean white musk on me. Which is great with some perfumes, but with the litsea cubeba (google tells me it smells like lemongrass or possesses a violet-like fragrance) it contributes to the clean but soapy impression. Eventually amber rises to the top, and like most ambers on my skin, it turns the whole thing to indistinct "golden" powder. Oh, amber, why are you always rebelling against me?

In the imp this smells fresh with a woody undercurrent.

On me, Fascinum seems very green and astringent. I smell something like fir (possibly the litsea, I looked that one up and it's a type of evergreen, apparently) with spice in the background. It softens while drying down and turns... into soap. Nothing but really cheap soap.

And soap it stays, until it fades. Not for me, I'm afraid.

Hmm..this is very cedar-y in the imp to my nose. To me, cedar smells like hamster bedding, so I'm not too hopeful...it does have a sort of "golden" feel to it, so I am wondering how it goes on my skin.

Hmm...it's better on my skin, though-definitely not hamster bedding at all...a golden, musky cedar...the saffron is very nice in this...it's going a bit off on me, sort of chloriney, but I am going to blame a certain *ahem* time of the month for that.

This is honestly probably one of the best cedar bpals I have tried...a really pretty golden cedar/saffron blend, with just the right amount of musk and amber (which doesn't go powdery on me! woo!) The drydown was lovely. Not for me, but I would recommend it to others!

Imp: Amber and cedar. Two of my iffiest notes. Yet, for some reason, I decide to put it on my skin. I'm nutso like that.

Wet: Strong, strong, STRONG cedar with an undercurrent of amber and saffron.

Dry: Um... this is... an experience to say the least. It smells like... guy crotch. Showered guy crotch but definitely the scent of a naked man. I think I can sort of break this down into primarily amber and saffron but just dry on the skin? Spot on guy crotch smell. It's disturbing. Very, very disturbing. I don't want to smell like this.

Throw: Mercifully mild.

Overall: This is aptly named.

Apparently, I amp litsea cubeba, AKA the lemon flower aka May Chang from Carnaval Diabolique, because that's mostly what I get from this scent. LOTS of a spicy, herbacious, sharp lemon...which turns into a slightly softer and sweeter herbacious lemon. And maybe something slightly resinous underneath.

But mostly, this smells like Carnaval Diabolique before the musk, tuberose, opium--basically, the rest of the notes kick in.

Maybe I'll try this again another time....

Tried again--oh, this is nice. Lots of resinous musk coming through, reminescent of The Lion, with spicy saffron that works very well with the sharp brightness of the litsea cubeba. The cedar just offers a hint of golden wood quality, smooth and harmonious with the resins. I'm pretty sure I am loving the golden musk the most, and the rest I could take or leave. But yes, herbacious lemon flower, sappy green notes, grounded by resins, with a diffused "furry" and golden musk. Still too spicy for me as saffron takes the front stage and *then* it's the lemon flower.

(Don't be afraid of the cedar. I've found that when people say they smell "cedar" or "hamster cage" they are really referring to red sandalwood!)

On the other hand, it makes the Carnaval Diabolique I have on my other wrist smell mostly of sweet flowers and vanilla in contrast! The blast of lemon flower knocked my nose right out for the comparatively softer lemon in CD!

Edited by cinderfallen

The cedar jumps in first, with that clean, moth-free closet sensation. A little fruit gives it a cleanser tone. I just don't see it as making me seem very fascinating.

I've been meaning to try this for so long - I love musk and amber, and I adore the scent of saffron though I've never had it in a perfume before, I think - and then rawgirl75 was wonderful enough to send me this as an impromptu gift :D

In the imp - definitely nice, and definitely saffron, though I can't identify the other scents as easily . . .

On wet - Cedar and saffron foremost, with musk and amber running up. Litsea cubeba (a mildly violet-ish scent, says Wikipedia) is in there too. Very masculine and attractive so far. More, please!

Drydown - Phwoar. Now that's sexy :D At least I'd find it sexy if I smelled another guy wearing it . . . cedar, musk, amber, saffron. A reddish-gold, sensual scent. So glad I got to try this and now have a whole imp's worth for personal use ;)

Remember the perfume Opium that was a big hit in the 1980s? This smells like that with a little bit of cedar. Upon slathering, I get to enjoy this wonderful fragrance for about 10 minutes, until it fades away completely. Worst lasting power of any BPAL I can recall.

Delicious. Warm and golden. Cinnamony-but-not cinnamon. Medium/average throw, which makes this really appropriate for everyday wear. I wish it lasted longer, but oh well. You still get a few hours out of it, so no real complaints in that department.

This is sexy sunshine in a bottle.

Well, imp, in my case, but I'd love a bottle.

I should probably start by saying Golden Priapus is one of my top 5 BPALs. And a lot of what I love about it has similarities in Fascinum.

In the imp: Mostly amber, but I do get some cedar as well.

Wet: Amber and musk, but without the sharpness some musks have when I first put them on.

Dry down: Amber and musk continue to play well together, and the cedar starts to come back.

Dry: Everything kind of nestles down into the amber, the musk hugging close to the skin, with cedar coming through like wind in the trees so you get more of it at some times than others. And there's a sweet tang too, that I can't really pin down, but keeps everything from going completely masculine on me.

Overall: Warm, golden, rich. I like it, but I love Golden Priapus, so I'll probably stick with that one.

(edited because I'm a flake and forgot part of what I wanted to say)

Edited by meredevachon

Highly musky with a cedar-infused amber base. The cedar-- quite spectacularly-- does not offend me in this blend. It's a true, woodsy smell and not the "damp closet" impression that I usually get.

A warm, sensual, masculine, antiqued kind of scent. Spicy clean and very natural. Not an everyday blend for me, as I do find it a bit manly, but I'll definitely hold on to the imp. :D

In the Imp: intense, lemony, awesome, almost effervescent

Wet on Skin: lemony, similar to the imp scent

While Drying: This smells lemony, over a base of amber and musk. If I work at it, I can detect the cedar.

After a Little While: The saffron becomes more noticeable as it dries, but the lemony note (the litsea cubeba, I think) is still the most prominent. I like the way the two scents blend together. Lemon candy.

Later: The sweetness dies down after a while, and the scent becomes more sophisticated - a lovely, warm, golden scent. Sniffing close, this scent reminds me of the sticker books I got as a child - the ones where you had to lick the back of the stickers and place them within dotted lines in the pictures... an oddly comforting scent.

Final Thoughts: This was one of those happy surprise frimps that started to impress the moment I opened the imp. I'm not sure I'll wear it enough to warrant a full bottle, but the imp will be well loved.

Fascinum earns a 4/5 on my skin.

In the imp, this is amber and cubeb. On my skin, this is all lemony cubeb. Well, this probably won't end well.

The best part of frimps is getting blends you'd otherwise never order. This was such a different smelling perfume. I love the amber and the musk and the saffron, OH MY GOD the saffron, with what appears to be lemon. The cedar really threw this blend off for me, I think, and made it more of a cleaning product. Oh how I wanted to love this one!

in the imp: really really faint. if i try hard i can grab at the amber, and something sweet.

wet: wow. okay. this is completely different. this is actually fairly strong on me. it's sweet, almost honey sweet, and spicy. i wouldn't call it incensy though, this smells more like bengal than say dracul in feel. the amber isn't going powdery on me like normal.

dry: this is a blend that smells like something i'm familiar with, but i can't figure out what it is. the sweetness pulls back a little and i get hints of the saffron and the cedar. i'm not familiar with golden musk but it does have a musky edge to it, but it's not rough or animalistic at all.

wow this is not what i expected at all, and i'm much happier with it than i thought i was going to be.

Fascinum

Even though it's not listed, this mostly smells like citrusy verbena on me (I guess it's the litsea cubeba) with a bit of cedar swimming around. It is very refreshing, but it goes kind of cleaner-fluid on me, unfortunately.