Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A new year's blessing! Peony, China's national flower, with bamboo for flexibility, plum blossom for perseverance, courage, and hope, tangerine for wealth, lychee for strong family relationships and peace in the home, orange for happiness, pine resin for constancy, golden kumquat and quince for prosperity, narcissus and King mandarin for good fortune, coconut for longevity, and candied melon for good health, with a splash of blazing red of dragon's blood... to help you scare away the rampaging Nian.

Add me to the "holy melon, Batman!" crowd! This is the scent of a cantaloupe or honeydew melon, perfectly ripe, and freshly cut up into a bowl. This is the perfect summer scent, mmmmm.

Edited to add description. Edited by sprocket21

An eerily accurate cantaloupe, musky rind and all, with a very delicate and faint floral edge. It's sweet, girlish, and charming. Not sure how earthy or ratty I'd call it, but I'm certainly enjoying it.

Lobster Rating

better than: frilly pink bra

I haven’t smelled Fee but I think (and fear) that I’d love it if it smells similar to this.

When first applied this is all melons. As it dries, it sweetens up and is like melons and sweet sugar. Candied melon – yum!

This is so sweet and pretty – perfect for spring or summer. After it’s been on a while it reminds a bit of Faith – sugared violets. I wasn’t expecting that!

This doesn’t last long on me but it’s absolutely lovely while it does.

I don't get quite the melon hit others have but definitely fruity. Not overblown though. It blends fruity and flowery in an amazing way. Reminds me a bit of Kitsune-Tsuki, which makes sense, being an Asian-inspired blend. And K-T is one of my faves. This could be too. Lasts a good long while on me too. I already tracked down a bottle. :P

Earth Rat definitely falls into the same scent family as Fire Pig. Both have a bright, complex, Asian vibe to them. On me, Earth Rat is nearly all melon. It's candied melon, sweet and light, juicy. It's not a jolly rancher like Treat 1 was. Rather, it's more of a cool, frozen summer melon treat. Behind the melon, I smell a smorgasbord of other fruits and florals though it is so complex that it's difficult for me to really pick them out individually and talk about how they interact. It's just a smorgasbord of bright! It's lovely and uplifting.

In the bottle all I get is a very strong candied melon, which isnt a bad thing because I love melon!

On it still smelt of melon and I still have yet to pick out any other of the scents but melon and slight peony but thats it. I'm kind of glad that the dragon's blood was so slight because the only other thing I've tried with Dragon's blood in it turned to baby powder on me (Dragon's Milk) and it didnt happen with Earth Rat. Plus the image on the bottle is so amazingly awesome! The only downer to this scent was it has a slightly shorter wear length then others I have.

Rating: 4.5/5

What a happy, bright scent! When first tested it I didn't think it was going to work when I smelled something that reminded me of gasoline, but that faded almost immediately.

When it dries it's a soft, gorgeous melon, yes slightly powdery, but a good powdery. If this is what Fee smells like I can see why it's so sought after and hard to find. This will be a perfect scent for hot summer days. It makes me think of picnics and family, but it's also a sofisticated scent that could be worn to work. Very pleasant and pretty! :P :D

Edit: I wore this to work today (3/10) and by mid-morning I kept smelling something really good. By the end of the day I could still smell it, but it's like the best melon, lemon candy, and it smells like a scent I could wear every day and not get tired of. So I got a few people to sniff my wrist (one tried it). Everyone liked it. Better get some more to hoard before it goes away.

Edited by Cheri

I am reviewing this without looking at the notes or any previous reviews.

In the vial: Melon, melon, melon! Cantelope and honeydew both.

Wet: A lot like Fruit Moon, I think, but without as many varieties of fruit. Definitely still melon, with some of the meat that is closer to the rind. It's like an expensive fruit salad. I get a little kiwi. Very fresh fruit with a little of the mintiness that was in Fruit Moon that isn't really mint, but something mimicking it.

Dry: Not quite as much of a kick anymore. It was quite loud before. I get a slight amount of grape wine in the background, but not dry, at all.

20 mins later: Still hanging on strong. I like this one, although I don't see that much of a difference between this and Fruit Moon.

In the imp: This smells sharp, but not citrus sharp. It makes my nose twitch.

Wet: Why hello there melon! Wow, that's strong. I can't make out any of the other notes through the melon.

Drydown: None of the citrus notes came out for me, sadly. The melon calmed down a lot and blended with the other notes to create a beautiful fruity-floral scent with a hint of something sharp cutting through all sweetness. I'm glad I didn't amp the dragon's blood in this, because it doesn't do well on me. The throw is low, but it lasts a really long time even on my skin, which drinks up oils like a Hummer guzzles down gas. I'm not sure how often I will wear this, but I definitely want a bottle of this before it goes down.

MELONS, baby!

Really juicy and delicious! Only I'm not a huge fan of melons. I wish I were, because this really is a perfect, perfect fruity melon scent.

Earth Rat: HOLY MELONS BATMAN! Where's the Dragon's Blood? Pine? Citrus?? Alas, this is all melon. Although it's not too horrific for me to wear, I think it might spend it's days as a funky room scent.

Woah there! In the imp it is all sugared melon...melon candy! Maybe with some tangerine, or other citrus notes backing up the melon flavor. I want to eat it...wearing it...I'm not sure. I'm not a big fan of sweet notes and this is the sweetest thing I've smelled yet (granted, I tend to avoid them)

On my skin, it is much the same. Sugared melon! MELON! It's a very loud scent, very sweet, and very happy and uplifting. This one is bright.

Drying, some of the other notes begin to come through...deep inhales bring out the peony (which I love and was hoping for more of), but that melon will not quit. Several hours later and after a shower, it is still doing a happy melon dance on my arm.

Very yummy, but not for me in the long run.

In the bottle and wet on my skin, it's all sweet green melon. I'm hoping for the peony to come out to play eventually since it's one of the few florals that I think smell nice on me.

It takes a few hours, but a hint of florals comes out eventually. Sort of. It's still mostly melon.

However, it is the most delicious melon I have ever smelled. I'm not usually a melon fan, but I'm going to layer this with Squirting Cucumber and smell springy and delicious.

in the bottle sugared cucumber? yuck! i'm getting a tiny whiff of pine and melon, but mostly sweet vegetable-y scent

wet on skin god... MELON!

dry on skin i officially really hate this! fortunately, it's mostly gone in about fifteen minutes on me except for a faint waft of melon. thank goodness. i was not looking forward to the scrubbing.

Bottle: Melon

Wet: Honeydew melon and cataloupe sitting in a juicy fruit salad!

Drydown: It's not my favorite, but there's nothing wrong with it.

2.5 outta 5

I had an absolutely cracktastic moment thanks to this blend (and maybe I shouldn't be awake before 8 AM).

Ego: I smell melon!

Id: Melon! Melon! Watermelon?

Coconut makes an appearance after five minutes

Ego: Is this coconut I smell?

Id: Coconut?!?! Evil doom! Get it off me! *runs around* GET IT OFF ME! I'm ALLERGIC! DEATH! AYIIIEEE!

Superego: *non-plussed* You're not allergic, you just don't like it.

Id: Get it off me!

Superego snags Id, conks it out.

Ego: Well, it smells like a tropical drink.

Superego: *perks up* Pina Colada?

Yeah, now I remember why I didn't go crazy and buy a bottle unsniffed. The coconut of doom came and smashed everything.

Now it's back to smelling like melon.

Still, this is not for me.

First on, Earth Rat is a burst of sugary melon, but my skin seems to amp up all of the citrus notes in this blend. Tangerine, lychee, orange, and mandarin leap forward and quickly devour the melon. The drydown of this is all sharp citrus and an almost soapy freshness that might be the bamboo. It's too sharp for my tastes. I wish that my skin would amp up the melon and coconut...

I was hesitant to buy this because of the pine but was hoping it would be outweighed by the fruits and dragon's blood. On me, the melon seems to ramp up a lot. I really wish I could smell the coconut or dragon's blood but I get mostly candied melons. Overall it's very pleasant though.

I always wish I'd tried Fire Pig, so I didn't want to miss the chance to try Earth Rat this year. I ordered a decant, and then heard everyone on the forum saying it was very strong on the melon. Boo. But by then, it was too late.

Holy crap, is it ever strong on the melon. Melon and flowers. I've got nothing against florals, but suffice it to say, this is so not the scent for me.

Wet, it smells very much like melon candy. At first like honeydew, or something like that, followed by a wave of watermelon bubblegum. It settles into something that smells rather like a Japanese musk melon, nestled in a huge bouquet of sweet florals and candies. If I look for individual notes I can find them, but other than the melon, nothing stands out.

After maybe 10-15 minutes, it has settled in nicely, and all of the notes are now much better balanced. Instead of dominating the blend, the melon now just colors it. If you can imagine a Melon Flower, then that's a bit what like this smells like now. The florals don't seem too sweet on their own, but the dragon's blood helps provide a candy-like edge.

At first, this is such a burst of fruits that it has a very bright, celebratory feel, but once it dries, it's a little more subdued. Happy, just not jumping for joy. If you hate melon, you'll probably never be won over by this. If you're put off by the melon initially, stick with it for at least 30 minutes, and see how it dries. It becomes much more subtle and floral.

Throw is quite strong at first, but settles down to average as it dries. Can't vouch for wear length.

Earth Rat is very sweet in a fruity and melonish way for the entire time I had it on. Other than the fact the oil disappeared I could have sworn I was sniffing it directly from the bottle all day long. Later in the day I started to smell a more floral note over the melon, but it was very sweet and pleasent. This was a scent that stuck around all day long with a strong throw too.

Awww cute!!! :P

This is a fun fruity floral. Those of you who loved cucumber-melon scents as a young'un should give this a try as an adult. It's a happy, fresh melon alight with springy dewdrops and cheerful flower petals. It's not a single-note fruit scent, but the melon does seem to take the stage for me. I was expecting a clusterf*** of crazy notes, but this is finely blended and just smells pretty.

It's not a bottle-need for me, but I do like it, and can see it appealing very strongly to fruity-floral lovers.

3.7 out of 5

Just about all I can smell in this is melon: melon in the decant, melon wet, sweet melon drydown. I can detect the hint of coconut and mandarin, but not the other notes.

Very nice, but not different enough from my bottle of Yemaya (BPAL, not TAL) to justify a bottle purchase.

Earth Rat is melontastic. Melontabulous! I adore melon and that's all this is at first, fresh and cool with a beautiful candied sweetness. Behind the melon there's a tiny, almost unnoticeable touch of pine resin, but aside from that all I can really smell for the first 20 minutes or so is melonmelonmelon. When the other notes do finally come out Earth Rat gets a bit more floral and the fruitiness of the melon becomes more complex. I can't read any of the citrus notes specifically, but rather they add depth to the scent and bring out even more of a freshly cut open fruit type of juicy freshness. I can smell the peony and plum blossom too, softening the crisp feeling of the fruits and adding a different type of sweetness. I can't detect any coconut or narcissus, which is good because I am not a fan of their work. No dragon's blood or bamboo either, though I don't doubt they're behind the scenes melding wonderfully with the other notes. I really like Earth Rat, it's different enough from Yemaya to warrant having bottles of both of them, and it's the perfect type of fun, fresh, and cooling scent for summer.

Wow! This has an amazingly cute label, but I love ratties.

I don't really have a lot to add over what has been said. This is a scrumptious yummy MELON! In the bottle AND on my skin. Once it dries on my skin there is a little bit of floral lurking behind the melon.

DANG IT. I might need more bottles. And with all of the huge updates coming up! *looks at empty pockets* :P

Edited by TwilightEyes

in the bottle: sooo pretty! floral and fruity and made of beauty.

wet: about the same, gorgeous.

30 minutes later: it's bright and playful. I can't stop smelling my wrist. This blend is just made of WOW! I can smell the melon and kumquat and peony and plum blossom... the fruity/floralness is just never ending, and that's okay.