Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Tonka, oakmoss, tolu balsam, grey amber, myrrh, and muguet.

Ok, this is really weird, and I will totally admit my skin may be the reason, but this was VERY remiscent to The Caterpillar on my skin. I think it might have been the oakmoss. As the blend dries, the tonka and amber come out more, adding sweetness and depth and the muguet does add a SLIGHT floral tinge. Much later the myrrh comes out, but it's gorgeous here. Not overpowering, but rather a really great supporting note. It's quite exotic, and I really enjoy it.

Wet: Old Spice? Hello, nostalgia!

Immediately, as it begins drying, it starts to soften a bit and some florals start peeking through. But it smells like a slightly floral Old Spice. Weird.

To me, Sapphics smells like Anactoria mixed with Luperci. Now, I don't know whether that's a verbal association thing between Sapphics and Anactoria but that's totally what I'm getting. The sexy, musky start with the feral, woodsy finish. The notes do not match (except oakmoss... interesting) but they all seem very similar to me, besides being Lupercalias.

Gorgeous, though. Anactoria is my favourite scent so I'm glad to have some kind of variation on it (with such a fantastic name - GIRL LOVE PROVES ITS WIN ONCE AGAIN)

Big, big love to Sapphics.

:wub2:

warm, vaguely floral, spicy, and kind of powdery but in a good way.

my beloved tonka's saving this blend i think. it's a lot...more delicate? than what i normally like and i did get the dreaded hairspray impression in the imp that other people talked about but i think that i'm going to hold onto this one.

Honestly? On my skin, Sapphics smells disturbingly similar to fresh cat litter. It just turns into that generic, slightly chemical "clean" scent that any deodorizing product has. I have no idea what component is the problem-- I was really hoping the tonka and amber would make this a much warmer scent, but instead I just get... deodorant.

A light ethereal blend which surprises me because tonka, oakmoss and balsam are not light. Ok, drydown has commenced and this is morphing. Woodsy, sweet, and kinda spicy. The grey amber is what takes this from being a heavy wood blend into an airy yet spicy floral.

One sniff of this in the bottle takes me back to my childhood and a perfume in the Morgan & Lindsay Five and Dime store called Evening in Paris. I LOVED the way it smelled. I loved the blue bottle. I loved everything about it.

And Sapphics initially smells just like it.

When it dries down, it is a soft and gentle floral with just a touch of amber. Very nice.

I'm in love with this one. It reminds me a bit of that warm mossy spicy goodness that was the original hamadryad. This is gorgeous on me and now I must obtain more! Apparently I'm a sucker for a good moss.

All the notes in this should work on me, but something about the combination (or maybe it's the age of the imp), but this scent totally fails on me. It starts out floral & perfumy, and goes down hill from there. It reminds me too much of old, cheap perfume, and goes powdery on me way too fast. I feel like I'm constantly on the verge of sneezing.

Not a keeper. :(

Oh man I’m so happy I bid on this when the lab put it up on eBay. It’s a beautiful and the only downfall is the tiny bit of powder that appears at the end of drydown. Still, it’s gorgeous and I love it.

2018 Version:

I never tried the original, fyi. Sapphics is sweet, earthy and soft. Well blended and light throw/sticks close to the skin. Mostly grey amber and tonka with a pouf of muguet when wet. Comforting, golden grey color impression, kinda like a different version of a skin musk. For an oil with almost no throw, I'm surprised I'm drawn to purchase a bottle. The tonka makes it magneticly magic. I'd say its a cozy sleep blend.

2018 Version

This makes me think of a rainy day, and the moss actually smells quite nice on me in this. Damp greens and cool gray clouds is what this smells like. Makes me want a cup of tea and a book. I love it more than I was expecting!

Edited by roseus

At first this really smelled a lot like the Mary Kay perfume samples that I remember from my teenage years (the kind that came in the mailers). Floral, powdery, commercial, a little old-fashioned. I mean, better than that, because it's BPAL, but it had the same mood.

As it dries down, the spiciness and the musk come through more. It's reminding me of carnation or geranium, with the musk of a lighter red variety (pink musk? Is that real?). It adds more complexity and improves it, but I admit this is still skewing too commercial and old-fashioned for my taste. The scent memory isn't helping matters. 

Edited by supreme_c0rt

2018 version.

Sapphics is a dry, powdery, mossy, resinous scent on me. I amp oakmoss, so it is one of the main players on me, along with the grey amber and balsam. There is a touch of muguet adding a bit of a perfume-y feel, but it isn't shouty here. The myrrh note comes out more with wear but never dominates.

I wanted to try this one because of its inspiration, but it's not something I could really see myself reaching for. I was hoping the tonka being the first note would make this sweet enough for me... alas!

Quite sexy and spicy! I get mostly sweet tonka and balsam, the other notes are present, softly in the background. I don't know if I'd call this full-on sexy, but definately cozy and warm, cuddling close to the one you love in a warm place in winter.