Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VelvetSky

Deep in Earth

Rose geranium, Spanish moss, Irish yew, and graveyard dirt.

The lab sent me this as a freebie in my last order. I am SOOOO glad!!! This morphs beautifully and ends as a lovely, light, sweet floral on me! Sniffing the imp, I get the earth note in a big way. On my skin, the earth gives way to a sweet herbal-almost-floral with a little soil underneath. I'm still iffy about wearing a strong earth note, but I do like the smell because I grow a lot of plants! Anyway, the oil gets sweeter and sweeter as it sits on my skin. It's kind of like sitting on the ground in the middle of a blooming flowerbed. The dry-down is a lovely light green-white floral thing that reminds me of a bubble bath I had when growing up! I agree with the folks who say this is reminiscent of Zombi (which I also enjoy). Oh, and it has some staying power, too. LOVE it!!!

Second frimp testing! I like the title and description of this, I should get me some more earth and green scents.

(TMI: I'm on my period, so this might affect the perfume slightly, I will try it again after its gone and see if it's still that good - or even better. :) )

In the bottle: I am almost overpowered by the smell of fungal rotting decay, but I will give it a try because BPAL oils always morph when applied on the skin.

On my skin: I can smell the rose geranium, which combines rose and geranium and becomes a new entity of it's own and is just lovely. I can also smell the earth embracing the rest of the scent in a protective manner, and the moss accompanying lightly. After a few minutes the Earth cocoon steps back a bit and lets the florals to the front stage, with a faint moss, which results in this lovely sweet earthy smell I am falling in love with. I am not a big fan of floral scents, but this one is just so lovely and pretty, I can't help sniffing my wrists all the time - something that often happens to me with BPAL oils. ;P

Cooldown: The Earth eventually relinquishes it's protective hold and I'm left with the lovely fading rose geranium combination which is still a very fresh and lovely smell.

I really like this! :D

In the imp, I smelled the dirt and rose geranium. I actually rather like geranium, and although I'm not a fan of rose I've had it work once or twice in a blend. Based on the reviews, I really had hope for this one.

But skin chemistry be dammed. As virtually every floral blend with rose does, it went straight to rose soap. I didn't smell any other note. I will say that I hated it less than I did other rose blends such as 2,5&7 or Whip, but this doesn't work for me at all.

Edited by talula_fairie

Floral when wet, the dirt seemingly a minor undertone. It really does smell like a graveyard, an old woman leaving a bouquet of roses, a freshly turned grave not far away. The earth becomes more prominent as it dries, but ultimately fades after a few hours to a very straight rose/floral.

Edited by notjonathan

In the imp: Dirt dirt dirt. Moist dirt. Floral dirt. Did I mention dirt? Dirt scents aren't me, however, there is something sort of clean and pretty about this dirt. You know, I take it back, I shouldn't be calling it dirt-I do think moist earth is more appropriate. Dirt implies a dryness and this is rich, saturated earth.

Ok, on my skin this is actually a lot more floral-the earth scent actually falls to the background, and the rose geranium is up front and center. Sort of sweet and rosy. As this dries though, it becomes a bit more equal between the earthy notes and the floral notes.

As this dries it gets more and more soapy. The dirt/earth note nearly goes away completely. On full drydown, it really smells more like a soapy rosy scent. O_o Interesting blend, but not for me. A LOT of morphing for this one.

Hard to pull out any 1 note. This is so well balanced that each are equally present. The graveyard dirt is a great strong note and hard to obscure. I love spanish moss, I'm learning.. a great complimentary smell to the dirt & geranium while the irish yew gives a fresh green woody element.

This is "pretty dirt".

Very conflicted on this scent. I like the wet-earth smell A LOT, but I don't think it smells the best on me. Wet on skin it's mostly the earthy scent with hints of floral and moss. On drydown the rose geranium takes over and smells much better on me, but has an awful lot of rose-scent which I personally don't care for. I think I'll try it again before deciding it's absolutely not for me, though; I love the earthy wet scent, like a wooded creek bank covered in flowers after a heavy spring rain.

In the imp: Dirty and wet rose geraniums. Mossy.

Wet: Same as above, though much more floral and it doesn't seem so "moist," so to speak.

Dry: Floral and mossy dirt. But it's not in a bad way, nor is it dry, it's actually kind of pleasant. It's not something I'd wear often, but I'll probably bring out this imp in the spring.

Imp: sweet jumping chili beans that is STRONG! Like, smelling salts strong! Holy gross.... But...I'm feeling adventurous, so here goes.

wet skin: oooh here we go. lots of dirt, sharp dirt. floral and sticky. this is a very dark smell, and for some reason the first thing I thought of was DUSKWOOD and ghouls and the big mean skelly boss that used to kill my level 20 self over and over when I was trying to quest. (hi to all World of Warcraft nerds) I can definitely visualize wet spanish moss even though I've never smelled it in person.

Oh my goodness what an interesting smell. Going on five straight minutes of being completely unable to stop sniffing my wrist....

After about ten minutes I'm starting to smell more flowers and moss. Still a whole lotta wet earthiness!

Verdict: So I guess my skin likes dirt. I could totally see myself buying a bottle of this. Perfect for Autumn and the Halloween season.

A frimp, and most unfortunately a disappointment. I was really looking forward to a damp earthy floral scent, but on me, it comes off as soap. I can smell a green/earthy note under it, so I think this is just a matter of bad skin chemistry. Also, I think I'm allergic to something it, because after putting it on my eyes started to itch and water.

ETA: I was going to send this on to another, hopefully-happier home when I tried layering Dorian over it.... and A MIRACLE OCCURRED! All the nasty soapiness went away, and I had Dorian's musk/sweet/vanilla with gorgeous damp earth/floral under-tones. The phrase "Victorian gothic" kept floating into my head. With that combination, I'm definitely keeping it. Also, my eyes stopped acting up after layering.

Edited by KissleMeNow

In the bottle this one smelled a lot like Zombi, all dirt and roses. This is god, I love Zombi, however fairly soon after I applied it the dirt note disappeared and the rose note morphed into floral air freshener- like the kind in the aerosol can from the 80's. Off to swaps!

Imp: Green and clean, a little floral. Not at all what I expected.

On skin, wet: Same as in the imp. Maybe it's the moss?

On skin, dry: Still green and clean, but no more floral. Not soapy, per se, but fresh-out-of-the-shower kind of clean.

After an hour: No real change from the drydown. Never got any dirt, that's for sure, or anything I could identify as rose geranium. Pretty much the exact opposite of what I expected, and not something I would wear.

This is beautiful!

I get a lot of fresh, damp earth - for once, Spanish Moss seems to be behaving on me and is lending just that bit of dampness, rather than becoming nauseatingly wet and strong. I also get whiffs of the rose geranium, which of course smells very different from roses. (I hated Zombi, it really creeped me out.) Overall it's gentle, somewhat fresh, and slightly aquatic but not in the usual way because of the earthiness.

This smells like an Irish graveyard in the rain.

ETA: Still not something I am comfortable wearing, but I put it in my oil burner and it kicks ass. It's putting me in the mood to reread Dracula!

Edited by OctoberGwen

Imp: first sniff is dirt, damp rich soil. Second sniff I got the rose geranium.

Wet: the floral comes to the front, and is about all I can smell.

Drydown: I am getting some of the spanish moss now. The first reviewer said it turned aquatic on her, and it has on me as well.

Dry: the dirt comes back out, and I can smell all the notes now. Except irish yew, it might be there, but I don't know what that smells like.

Overall: I really love this. The moss, dirt, floral, aquatic mix makes me think of a hot, humid night in a garden next to a louisiana swamp. Aquatics always smell somewhat masculine to me, so if he can get past the floral I will have my husband try it out. To me this is unisex, but with the floral it leans toward feminine. It really does smell amazing though. It has a really good throw as well.

This is very pretty in the vial.

Wet: Flowers with a hint of dirt. Gorgeous flowers. I think I must have walked by some rose geraniums but I have never smelled them. from now on I'll stick my nose in every one I see.

Dry: This is actually kind of cozy. :eek: Like sitting in your backyard when it just rained. Earthy, slightly green, airy floral. But I think I liked the wet stage better, there is a hint of sour powder, possibly the spanish moss, when it's dry.

In the imp: Wow. A very true soil, mixed with rose.

Wet: The rose dominates once on my skin.

Dry: Rose darkened by somewhat fuzzy and funky earthy swamp notes. Not really working for me :( I thought it would make a good room scent, as it was so lovely wet, but it was merely ok. Oh well!

There was a time when I couldn't stand earth scents, but I really don't mind them now. Much better than some of the sweet stuff (for me), actually. This is all dirt at first, and then the rose geranium and dirt, to make an earthy comforting scent in the end. I like geranium, and don't see it very much, so I am really digging this blend. (he he)

It's mildly terrifying in the imp, as I'm not a huge fan of dirt notes and this is some rich, earthy, loamy soil! I get a hint of rose geranium. Ah well, I've made it my mission to test every frimp that comes my way FOR SCIENCE. On, it's incredibly realistic soil. I smell like I've been digging in a garden planting flowers. This is not a dry, parched dirt or dust, this is definitely wet earth. In time, the rose geranium adds a floral note. A twilight rose garden is the impression I get. Not my style or preference, but as usual, a very evocative, complex scent.

Disclaimer: I am unfamiliar with most of the notes in this fragrance, so my review may come off as a little vague. But I am learning!

Initially, Deep in Earth smells sharply fresh. It reminds me of lemon.

About 20-30 minutes later, the sharpness dulls somewhat and I notice more of the mossiness come through. It feels a little creamier (think lavender vs. lemon) and sweeter. Not like honey or sugar, but in the way that plain water tastes sweet sometimes.

I wouldn’t say Deep in Earth smells like soil and flowers. Instead, if you’ve ever had the chance to smell a bouquet of long-dried roses that have collected dust over time—this, concentrated.

I don’t think I’ll be using this fragrance anymore, but it did bring back memories of me playing with a similarly floral-scented body powder my grandma once had. : )

Ok so I got this as am imp to try before I went full size, the name interested me so had to get plus the notes reminded me of when I was a kid and used to help my aunt repot her geraniums, used to love gently rubbing the leaves to get their scent.

In imp- smells kind of odd...reminds me of fairy washing up liquid (the lemon kind) so not great

On 2nd sniff of imp, there, finally got to smell those lovely geraniums :)

Went on skin- lovely strong fragrance! 1st thing that hits me is the geraniums, the most life like without touching the actual plant :)

An hour later...still geraniums, though I can smell the nice wet earth now, sadly I don't smell any yew trees (which I like) so now it's lots of wet earth and a backdrop of geraniums :)

So for final verdict I love this one! So much so, I've recently ordered a 5ml bottle, it's 1 of those I now can't live without :)

This imp I got is still going and that's almost a year, so a little of this oil really does go a long way (more than likely, this 1 is going to be my signature daily scent)

ETA**

So, I just got my 5ml bottle of deep in earth...and it's not what I expected :( it's so much sharper...so sharp in fact that I'm considering not wearing this for a good while :( such a pity as it really was my favorite scent!

I managed to try the old aged imp and then the fresh made bottle, the new stuff is much longer lasting with some serious throw, the imp however has much less throw, staying power but that's the scent a fell in love with :( I'll be aging my bottle it seems and use my last few imp drips in the meantime

Edited by Cazzadeathgirl

soil and rose geranium. it's sharp at first (not pleasant), but then mellows out to a pretty earthy scent flavored by roses....but then it goes to rose soap.... too bad. So far my favorite soil scent is worm moon 2013.

In the bottle, this is wet green and dirt--the moss and a sap-filled yew make it a wet green note. As it dries, the rose comes out as a soft floral--a very pretty rose, but the other notes keep it green and wet. This is what I expected The Rose to smell like: an entire rose, from the lush floral head, to the green stem, to the dirt at its roots. A very pretty floral plus a little something, but too straightforward of a rose for me.

Edited by delighted

Based on old notes, as the imp has gone missing.

Very sharp geranium and yew in the imp, with cool earth.

The floral blooms on my skin. A bit sweet and rose-like, much softer than in the imp, with very subtle dirt. By 30 minutes there's some Spanish moss too, and it's more earthy, with a bit of sharpness from the yew. On one test, this is when the floral totally took over and it was dry and very perfumey, on the second, it was actually fairly lush with damp dirt not being more prominent.

Leans too perfumey for my taste, but it's certainly nice.

In the imp: Green and a bit herbal. There's a rose in back of my nose (that was unintentional omg).

Wet: Sweet, rich soil and moss.

Dry: Soil is the main note, the yew and moss stop the rose from coming out too strongly. This was one of my first BPAL fragrances and it's pretty much my signature scent now. I often describe it as "soil and roses", but as I've got better at identifying things, I realise just how much the yew and moss part of the blend add.

And this one is absolutely dead on the description. My great uncle and great grandparents are buried under a yew tree next to the hedge, so it's always covered in leaves and the roots of the yew have grown over the grave. I was raking leaves and tidying it up not long ago and realised it smells exactly like Deep In Earth, minus the rose. Amazing.

Wet: Green and floral and dirt. Man I love dirt! I get a lot of the geranium out of this. I'm not digging the green note that much, but seriously, love that dirt!

Dry: The geranium morphs into rose. Is that why it's called rose geranium? Hmmm, I'm not very familiar with it, but it smells like red rose now to me, with the Lab's dirt note. A bit like Zombi, but on me Zombi is 90% dirt, 10% rose. This is the other way around. I quite like it. Dirt scents are my favourite for bedtime, and I can see wearing this to bed frequently.