Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VelvetSky

Deep in Earth

Rose geranium, Spanish moss, Irish yew, and graveyard dirt.

Imp: The rose geranium is more "rose" than "geranium" and I think it's mixing with the yew, because my first impression is of a ladylike version of Rome.

Wet: The Rome similarities are not as strong, as the geranium is less rose, and more generic floral, and the moss is more prominent. I also get something a bit like grass, even though that's not in the notes. The dirt is there, but it's a subtle scent, underneath the flowers and greenery.

Dry: It's on my wrist, and most scents fade very quickly there for some reason, so it's a bit faint. The flowers have faded and so has the yew, and it's mostly sweet pleasant moss and dirt.

I was hoping for a sharper scent from the geranium, so that's a bit disappointing, but the dirt and moss are as well-behaved and pretty as you could possibly expect them to be. I don't really like sweet herbals, so I'm not sure I'll keep it, but I love the dirt note. Maybe I'll layer it with something with a bit more edge. Edited by Shollin

I'm getting the barest hint of dirt in this scent, but it is mostly a gentle flowery smell. While it is a pleasant smell and I like it, it's not a scent that really pops out IMO.

Turned to pure dirt on my skin. Not like my flower garden, more like the earth you find after finally raking up last year's damp leaves. I didn't get an of the flowers when I put it on at all.

As you'd expect, this is first and foremost an earth blend. The note "graveyard dirt" indicates that it's the same dry, slightly sour dirt note used in other graveyard blends. NOT the moist, black loamy dirt.

There's an obvious comparison to Zombi here. The earth notes are the same, and as a whole, they're similar blends. Zombi is loaded with rich, heavy red rose -- it's almost stronger than the dirt -- but Deep in Earth's rosy aroma is very light and sweet. It's more subtle. The moss note doesn't seem as sharp as oakmoss, but it is a similarly cool scent. It just adds a little air to the earth notes. I never get much sense of yew, in that I don't smell evergreen. It seems to provide a cool wood note that blends with the moss.

On the whole, this is a shady but rich, multi-faceted dirt scent lightened by geranium. It has a faint sweetness when dry, and it much more light and feminine than many dirt scents. Very pretty, if you're a fan of the graveyard dirt note.

Verrrrrrrry interesting fragrance, this.

It starts out as dirt. I dabbed some on, sniffed and thought "great. I smell like I've been digging in the garden." I figured I'd wash it off when I got to work. Fortunately, I got busy and forgot about it for a few hours. When I sniffed my arm after several hours had passed, it had turned to sweet floral. I am not crazy about its start, but I certainly am happy with what I ended up with.

Dirt… no.... that's loam….florals too. Maybe a titch of rose. Ah, not rose but rose geranium. It has that herbal aspect and gets stronger and stronger. There’s almost a lemon eucalyptus/lemongrass note here too. Very subtle though. It’s probably just part of the geranium.

I’m not a huge fan of geranium, though I do like dirt smells. Fun to try but I won’t be seeking this out one.

Edited by cranberry

Deep in Earth is similar to Zombi, but not quite as sour and wet. The rose geranium gives it a sweet, spicy, floral quality. Zombi is more wet moss + dirt and Deep in Earth is more flowers in dirt. Really pretty.

This starts out as dirt with a little bit of a sour tinge. Dry down smells exactly like dusty dirt with maybe a tiny bit of rose. I'm pleased that this is almost pure dirt but it has no throw on me, it's very weak. I will try it in a scent locket, I hope it works out.

Wet: Rose soap.

Dry: Rose soap. I love earthy scents and I was hoping for some of the herbs or dirt described, but I'm seriously not getting anything but the cheap handsoap that my grandma keeps in her bathroom. :(

In the Imp: Very soft rose, almost difficult to detect anything, then the dry, lingering scent of moss.

Wet: This is still a light and gentle rose, I think it’s the moss that’s throwing me for a loop. It feels like it’s sucking away the moisture the floral overture brings. I initially thought I smelled the dirt, but what I was hoping for was along the lines of a very damp, rain saturated loam smell. Instead this is more like a dried up pile of petals and moss. Perhaps the particular dirt note here is intended to be a bit “dusty” in which case it’s unusual but not what I was looking for.

Dry: Maybe I’m sounding unfavorable, let me say that this scent is interesting – just not for me. As stated before I was looking for something “wetter” that would evoke the feeling of lying in a sunken grave, after a rush of water and wind had upturned the soil. The combination of a too sweet rose soap and wry moss is not along similar lines, which is a shame because I really wanted to like this.

Verdict: Not enough soggy dirt, a bit cloying! Does win points for originality though, it’s a unique mix and stays close to the skin with just enough throw.

Rating: 2/5

Imp: Dirt. This smells just like dirt after it's rained. It's kind of freaky.

Wet: Still dirt, but now dirt that had a bouquet of roses sitting on top of it right before the rainstorm. Very much like a grave where the flowers were put out just moments before the downpour.

Dry: Not much different from it being wet. All in all, it smells like a garden/grave after a rainstorm. I don't get the dry, sour note other people have talked about but damper scent.

Not so sure I want to smell like that all the time, but I'll be keeping the imp.

Wet in the imp: Green Dirt...green aquatic dirt that you find at the edge of a swamp or pond.

Drydown: Slightly sweet earth. Novel...but not worthy of the imp or bottle.

In the imp: Springtime dirt...fresh with things growing in it. Nice!

Wet: Mmmm fresh dirt with sharp mossy notes and greenery. Really pretty!

Dry: As this dries a floral note starts to amp on my skin...along with the mild scent of something similar to a citronella candle. Hmm. Interesting.

Overall: I love the Labs dirt note :) This is yet another fine example of Beths ability to create scents that smell exactly like the description. Deep in Earth smells like fresh dirt in the springtime after it rains. I love the opening/wet phase but as it dries this turns a bit strange on my skin. I had a lot of fun sniffing it but it's just not something I can wear.

In the frimp, I'm getting what I'm pretty sure is the moss, the geranium, and the yew, and it's a very sharp scent. On my skin, the moss comes forward with a geranium underscent. I'm not entirely sure what to think of this. I think I'm gonna need to further test this one to figure out whether or not I want to keep it.

Edited by Venneh

This one is straight up dirt both in the imp and on my skin. Rose geranium never makes an appearance because it's buried in all that dirt. On extreme drydown you can catch hints of it here and there. Sadly I wanted this one to be rose geranium with moist earth. It's mostly a big soil-laden heap in which a twig of rose geranium may have been thrown in underneath. I'm just not into smelling like a well mulched compost heap.

1246851796_mniXG-Ti.jpg

Very nice dirt blend made wonderful by the floral notes! Dirt tends to amp on my skin, which is fine since I like that note, but it's also nice to smell other notes occasionally. When I first opened up the imp, I smelled no dirt at all which made me a bit apprehensive because I wanted dirt, but once it was on my skin there was dirt, all right. Dirt + rose geranium at first, then I smell the yew note underneath. I never did smell much moss (I don't think), but this is still a great dirt-based blend because there is just that little bit of difference from the Lab's other earth blends: the rose geranium and the yew really are good combined with the earth note. Three of 5 stars.

Edited by stellans

:::DEEP IN EARTH:::

How does something so remniscent of upturned earth smell so bloody CLEAN?

Deep in Earth is a wonderful, wonderful scent. This formula is very remniscent of, 'Zombi', but with absolutely none of the Rose note.

Deep in Earth has all the fascination and intrigue of a long buried secret brought to light that has the effect of putting nearly everyone off of their guard by pulverizing any preconceived notions formerly held by conventional wisdoms.

Deep in Earth also brings to mind a time when mythos was a much more palpable element of day to day life...

It is virtually effortless to get a nose full of this and know, without question, that it was scooped from a minotaurean labyrinth of some kind.

Deep in Earth is a fragrance of rich Browns, Greens, and Blacks.

It is a clean, sharp fragrance that would harmonize well with candlelight, a bottle of red wine, and the album, 'Disintegration' by The Cure.

This is a very Now, very Wow fragrance.

Genius!!!

This is my ultimate dirt scent. The moss and floral notes give the dirt the slightest sweet tinge. This has excellet throw and a dab is enough to last all day. A slightly sweet earth perfume. Love!

Deep In Earth

In Bottle: Moist Basement with strong over tones of generic floral sent, reminds me of my grandparents basement in late spring.

Wet: Florals not as strong as in bottle, earthy tones come to the front

Dry: On me this mellows out a lot pretty quick to a nice light floral with only slight hints of earth.

Over all i really like this sent, being a guy I have to watch what i put on (or suffer the ribbing from my co-workers) there are a lot of sents that I like but wouldn't wear, this is one of the exceptions, and is the most feminine of my collection. So far I have gotten away with it with no ribbing and I like to wear it any time I am pining for warmer weather.

I was frimped this one and decided to give it a shot despite it being very far from my normal scents.

In imp: Sour dirt. Like dirty pickles.

On: Still sour (tangy? tart?) dirt. Yeah, this one isn't going to work for me, but I'll be damned if there isn't skill in producing a scent that smells like well composted soil.

I'll go back to my sweetness and vanilla and pass this on to a better home.

Gosh, why can't I smell any dirt in this??? I'm not getting anything that others have written here!

When it first goes on, its a green floral, almost like sickening lilies, and something moldy in the background...perhaps rotting mushrooms.

That quickly changes to a complete, loud floral!! No dirt, no earth...its very aquatic, and is making me crazy in a bad way.

After an hour or so, it starts smelling very fresh and almost like fresh laundry after they've been hanging outside to dry. NO DIRT, no fungus amungus! perhaps thats the green mossiness, and yew, because Im smelling a teeny bit of rose geranium, but the other green notes are overpowering it!

Phooey...I hate how florals amp on me...soapiness now, laundry...I put a little more on to see what happens and the same thing.

Would be nice if you like watery florals, but NOT me.

I fell in love with the dirt scent after trying Zombi. I looked it up and found Deep in Earth and just had to get it.

in the imp, it's heavy dirt. Not a lot of rose to this.

Wet - This is OVERPOWERING rose. and I LIKE rose. It actually made me sneeze a bit. and it took a while for it to calm down. maybe about 15 minutes before it became more wearable.

unfortunately, wearable means the dirt smell goes away a bit and it's a nice floral.

As others have said, you have to try this if you like Zombi. I think this is stronger than Zombi in terms of throw and lasting power, but zombi has a more prominent rose scent and this has a more prominent dirt scent (after the roses calm down a bit).

I will be doing a death match between them because I like them both but they are too similar for me to justify having both.

Ack! Soapy dirt, and not nice soap either. Eye-wateringly sharp, strong soap. Where is this coming from? The geranium, maybe? I expected this to be like, Zombi, but the dirt is much less prominent in this one.