Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VelvetSky

Deep in Earth

Deep in earth my love is lying
And I must weep alone.

Rose geranium, Spanish moss, Irish yew, and graveyard dirt.

Out of the bottle, Deep in Earth is wet, loamy, murky, black soil. This reminds me a lot of Burial, amped up and thicker, if you can call the smell of earth thick.

Halfway down, the notes melt down and the gentler notes of the rose geranium and moss come up. I'm glad, because the intense dirtiness of the top worried me for a while.

Almost to the final dryout, Deep in Earth starts to evolve, a bit strangely, into an aquatic on my skin. Very wet, ever so slightly floral, with just a hint of the yew. This scent ends up surprisingly gentle in the final analysis.

My son hugged me and told me that I smell like an earthworm. I'll that that as a compliment.

Oh delicious smell of spring breaking forth! :P Deep in Earth is a huge win for me. I love the *idea* of a dirt note? And have wanted the perfect and wearable dirt note from my very first newbie imp pack in which I ordered Zombi.

And I liked Zombi, in the bottle, but it wasn't really 'wearable' on me. It was very strong, wet, sharp dirt, overlaid with a strong undercurrent of strong rose. Together, the mix was sort of yuck. Like putting together beef stew (which I like, and which is savory and tangy), with a tablespoon of marshmallow fluff or peanut butter (both big loves of mine, but NOT with savory stuff mixed in). I was sad.

That was about a year ago. When the new GCs came out, I saw Deep in Earth, and I vacillated for maybe ten minutes then dropped it into my cart, a whole bottle, unsniffed and despite the problem with Zombi.

What a great gamble! :D Deep in Earth has the dirt note of Zombi, but I don't know whether it is because it doesn't have rose with it or what, the dirt in Deep in Earth is soft, fresh-turned, damp, and clean. There is a moss note which I love -- it comes across as a dusty but not powdery feel on me -- and a very light wooden aspect. Plus flowers, but not ICK ZOMGFLOWERS!!! The note is rose geranium, and as I don't know if I have ever smelled a rose geranium in real life I can best describe this as: buttercups.

I've had this on now for more than five hours and it is still cranking out scent, and it's a morpher in the best possible way! Drydown takes it from a wet, loamy, garden-after-storm scent to a drier scent that gets warm, and finally there is a salt note (????!) that comes out on me. I described this in a chat thread as smelling like a seaside graveyard, that is the best way I can describe -- I smell wet but old wood and moss (coffins? but not rot), flowers, salt air, and dirt. Yay! Color me a happy Fountaingrl!

This is 4/5, maybe higher. I'll know after another few wears.

Edited by fountaingrl

DEEP IN EARTH

This is a gorgeous floral-earth blend. There is a freshness and vigor to the prominent rose geranium, and it keeps the loamy, murky moss and dirt from being too dark and heavy. The yew is bold and possibly woodsy/herbal. Even with the fragrance of the dark and damp graveyard dirt, something about this blend remains almost fresh, almost aquatic overall. Strong throw, long wear.

DEEP IN EARTH

In Bottle: Dirt and rose

On Skin: Wow! This is very sharp! The rose geranium screams out with the strongest voice ever. Sour and so severely sharp, it attacks my nose. I would have to say this is the strongest throw I have ever smelled from any BPAL fragrance ever. And of course it’s a rose note. The scent that hates me yet loves to amp on me. The dirt is a dry soil note to me. This scent reminds me of a dry version of Zombi, because Zombi is so wet and aquatic on me. But then the moss note soon starts to come forward and all of a sudden I do get a bit of an aquatic feel from it. So this scent is very close to Zombi on me, but about 100 times stronger. This has a crazy strong throw and very long wearlength.

Since I've had 2 separate imps of Zombi that have mysteriously not made it to me with anything *in* them, I can't compare it with Deep In Earth in how they both actually react to my skin... Deep In Earth is very similar to how Zombi smells in the bottle, though.

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this one. I love mossy/herby scents, and this definitely falls in that category. It's a little sharper than I expected, but that also gives it kind of a "clean" smell. It's got a stronger throw than most all of the other oils of the type that I've tried. I put it on about 6 hours ago, and it's *still* strong enough that I get a whiff almost everytime I move my arm. it's mellowed out and it's as complex, but it's still very similar to how it smelled when I first put it on, too, so it doesn't seem to have morphed all that much.

I like... but I'm not entirely sure I need a bottle of it. I think I'll have to test again in a couple of weeks.

--M

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.

Dirt is one of my my greatest loves, scentwise. Dirt, mineral scents, earthy loamy rot. Mmm hmm. I went for an imp of this to test first since rose geranium can be a bit much, but this really is mostly a lovely smooth almost clay-like dirt to me -- the dirt in the background of Penny Dreadful, the dirt buried beneath roses in Zombi.

The Spanish moss (which is really a rather floral, swampy, damp sort of scent) and rose geranium do come out a bit as I wear it, and they do a dizzying dance of humid moss and dead flowers, but it does not become as sharply, pungently rose as Zombi.

I'm at a loss for how to describe this poetically since it is so self-explanatory: it is, simply, layers of loamy earth and moss, a sprinkling of flower petals rotting after a rain storm, the promise of the garden rather than the sorrow of the grave. And it's almost certainly getting a place in my box o' bottles one of these days!

Is there something other than dirt in this? LOL, I can't tell at all. I put a tiny drop of oil on my arm 20 minutes ago and now this whole area at the end of the couch smells like black dirt. It does smell a little drier than usual, and I guess that's maybe the moss?

My skin is so crazy about those dirt notes. I keep waiting patiently for the day when I can try something with dirt/soil in it that doesn't amp that note so completely that it drowns out everything else. That day is not today, though.

I put this on and got mostly floral (the geranium, I guess). It smelled much like Thanatos--almost floral on top of something thin and sharp-ish, not like most dirt I've smelled. The geranium came out even more as it dried and I washed it off after an hour or so--I like scents with more substance. I think this is for the swaps.

straight sniff from imp is a deep, rich dirt scent!!

once applied this is quite strong...

this does not morph much with my chemistry which is actually fine by me...

mossy, earthy goodness abounds :P

Oh, this stuff is awesome. I love love love earth smells and BPALs graveyard dirt.

Anywho, this smells like Zombi without all of the rose. Sure, there's still rose, but not enough to make you go "phew there some rose . . . and a little bit of dirt" oh no, this scent is DIRT and a little bit of other stuff.

Totally worth buying a bottle unsniffed. :P

First off, my husband loves it. :P In the bottle, it is a very strong dirty moss scent. My first impression after applying it was that it had a touch of mint, but that slight scent passed quickly. The dirt smell that I love in Bpal Graveyard seems mellower in this oil. I love the rose geranium in here-I can smell the crisp, clean scent of the broken stem. The scent lasts remarkably long and is deep and dark. I'm glad I went ahead and purchased a bottle right away and skipped the imp. :D

in the imp this was very sharp...sour, salty...i liked it, though. reminded me of zombi, but without the overpowering florals that give me an immediate headache.

wet on my skin it smelled exactly the same as in the bottle and had tons of throw.

now that i've had it on about 3-1/2 to 4 hours, the scent has morphed and is no longer so sharp and sour.

it's a warmer, earthier scent now with some lovely mossy notes and the dirt smell in it is starting to come out nicely but isn't all dirt and mixes nicely with the mosses, rose and other scents.

overall, it's a nice mossy, dirty, floral that just sings of earth, nature and life.

i LOVE it and am very glad i ordered a full bottle of it which will hopefully arrive soon!

I love the moss and dirt notes in this, but the rose geranium completely dominated on my skin and reminded me too much of this geranium-scented dish soap that we have at my house. So, I guess I'll have to stick to Zombi, Madeline, and Queen of Clubs for florals-plus-dirt.

Edited by isyche

In the bottle, this smells like pure, black, slightly damp potting soil. On my skin, the black soil continues to dominate, but the moss adds in a sharp, high-pitched, sour sort of note as well. It's a little like pickled dirt on my skin. It's also a bit perfumey.

After a half hour, this softens and isn't as sour, but it's still a perfumey black dirt fragrance. I don't like it anywhere near as much as I like The Premature Burial (black dirt and lovely orchid). The floral aspect of this gives me a bit of a headache, because it's fake and perfumey, almost sharp and musky more than it is floral.

This one isn't a keeper for me.

Edited by Tania

WIN. Oh, man. This is like Zombi but even better, since I'm not usually in the mood for roses. The yew makes it a little bit ozoney, actually...pretty interesting. I was going to be SO disappointed if I didn't like this. Luckily I do...we'll see how fast I use up this imp.

And after reading filigree_shadow's review above, I wish I had her skin chemistry. Sigh.

Edit: This is...not as good as it could be on me. There's something here that just keeps swamping the dirt out. After several hours the stuff smells more like Thanatos than anything. Dirt, come back! :-(

Edited by septima_pica

Oh yeah. This is pretty much just what I was hoping for. Lots of soil, like Graveyard Dirt. At first there's a blast of Geranium but then it settles right down. I catch whiffs of the Yew and the moss as well. I do believe this will go into heavy rotation with Zombi! Thank goodness it's a GC :P

zombi and premature burial are two of my favorite scents, so i was pretty sure i'd love deep in earth, and i do! it's like a softer zombi on my skin. earth and moss mixed with a subtler rose than is in zombi. i love zombi but sometimes it's a bit too strong for my mood, i think this is more of an "everyday dirt scent" for me. very pretty, i definitely want a bottle.

Edited by theseagrows

a new love :P it was pretty much a no-brainer when i finally sniffed this...i'm a big fan of all the dirty BPAL's and zombi is one of my favorites, so i wasn't shocked that i liked this...but i was so glad to find i LOVED it. it is very much like zombi but i really think the geranium and yew give it a *pow bang* element that zombi does not have (the latter being steadied by that deep, yummy rose). it is really a strong scent so if you prefer softer scents, maybe this one isn't for you. sharp, outdoorsy and while dirty, seems very fresh to me...must be the yew. yet another keeper!

Deep in Earth – I was really curious about this blend because rose geranium is my favorite scent of all time, and graveyard dirt is probably my least favorite – or at least among my least favorites. I am astonished at how this scent smells on me. Yes, it’s very “dirty” and the moss scent is even heavier than the dirt, but the rose geranium adds the most gorgeous touch to this blend, pulling together the dark, heavy moss and dirt notes with its gorgeous, relaxing, herbal fragrance. I still don’t see this as a blend I will wear as perfume because of the heavy dirt scent, but I am delighted to see that even dirt can smell good when rose geranium is involved. I’m so excited that Beth is using more rose geranium lately.

i got this as a lab frimp; this is something i have to say cos i dont think i would have ever ordered this...

wet, soft pink rose in puffy clouds draw me into a middle ground of Spanish moss (sarada's description is perfect: it's swampy) and the graveyard dirt core. this dirt is not fresh, it's drying and full of decayed matter. the moss makes the rose (very much like the rose in Parlement of Foules) cloying and annoying to my nose as it's such a contradiction to the rest of the dark earth scent. these are the roses drying on top of the lover's grave, buried long ago.

executed very well. just not for me.

As BPAL “dirt” scents go, this is in the same family as Penny Dreadful and Zombi – dark, moist earth combined with soft, mournful flowers. I’m not sure what rose geranium smells like, but I definitely smell florals. There’s also something wet and salty, like the sea. Maybe the moss causes this slightly aquatic note. I like it, but the sweetly perfumed Penny Dreadful remains my favorite dirt blend.

In the Imp

Nice collection of florals (some form of rose, lily and sweetpea?) with that graveyard dirty smell, and the green, dark herbs reminiscent of The Ragged Wood. Can't WAIT to try this.

On Me

The dirty smell lingers and I like it-- it's cold and dark, and the florals peep through making it quite solemn and yet pretty.

About an hour later, though, the florals just amp. The dirty smell has gone, and it's a VERY strong floral blend, and there's a note of something plasticy popping through. It calms down eventually, but I don't get any of that dirt back-- just a jumbled, loud buzz of florals.

In the imp, Deep in Earth reminds me of Destroying Angel -- a decomposing plant smell. I guess that's the moss. On my skin, it's rose geranium (which to me is like rose, but slightly different) and mostly dirt, but the moss is still there. I like this a lot more than I thought I would.

Deep in Earth contains three notes I'm not entirely familiar with (everything except dirt).

I'm honestly not exactly sure what I'm smelling. Not much dirt in there... seems like more moss than anything, but its surprisingly nice. I get what people mean when they say this goes aquatic after a little while. After about 20 minutes it smells like very very wet flowers with a moss base.

Interesting, but not my thing. Great throw though. I put a tiny dab on my arm and its filling up the corner of the room where I sit.