Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
GypsyRoseRed

I Married a Vampire from Planet X

A blend of blood-soaked daemonorops, black amber, dark musk, glistening leather, caraway, smoky myrrh, cinnamon, and clove that is glowing with a luminescent, space-addled coating of clary sage, lemon balm, white grapefruit rind, mandarin, green melon, and white musk.

I Married a Vampire from Planet X is definitely dark and sexy. What really comes out for me is the cinnamon, clove with a wonderful highlight of musky citrus. Once dry, "Vampire" is more smoky, but has that dark sexy quality.

Since my chemistry amps musk, that's what "Vampire" turns into. However, it's a rich, buttery musk. Overall, I'm impressed. This is another lovely, complex, yet well-balanced perfume from the B-movie line. Edited by Shollin
fixed BPAL tags --Shollin

Bottle: Musty sage tinged with some grapefruit and a bright herbal green scent.

Wet: Dragon's blood! I thought I smelled you! And you brought your friend leather! It's so good to see you---OMG WHERE DID ALL THIS FRUIT COME FROM??? Grapefruit! Melon! Citrus of many varieties! Hello! The wet stage is very bright and clean and fresh. It reminds me a lot of 51 but there's a bit of a darker quality, even to the sparkling notes. The black musk starts to assert itself and dominates a bit on the drydown.

Dry: Gorgeous. It blends together really well and I get the bright top notes--the melon is dominant--and a touch of the darker notes. The dragon's blood elegantly blends the two. The black musk sort of settles down and creates a bit of a connection between the opposite scents as well. This is a bit effervescent and fruity but there's definitely a hint of smokiness and corruption to it. It reminds me a lot of Dragon's Hide, although this is a more daytime friendly version.

Throw: Good.

Overall: I don't actually know how or why I own this bottle. But I do and it's pretty awesome. I think it's an interesting blend and it will be interesting to track how it changes as it ages. Very fun and spritely, good for a man or a woman and fun to try just to see what your chemistry winds up doing with it.

My slightly disjointed review:

Initial sniff from the imp: powerful fir trees.

How much did I want to love this scent? I mean... that name! Putting it on only reemphasized my first impression... fir trees. Or maybe fake fir trees. I got a momentary flash of the green christmas tree air freshener. What could that be? Reading the note list I wonder if I am reacting to the clove. Clove has the potential to be wonderful, but most of my association with it has been in the "overkill" range.

Knowing that there were a plethora of possible changes ahead, I resisted the urge to wash it off. It is a good thing, too. Now that the seriously dominant note wanes slightly, I'm getting a much more appealing blend. Musky, manly, but still sweet. I don't know if I want to smell like this, but I wouldn't mind being snuggled up against someone who did. Wait no, now it is getting less manly, more citrusy. Oh crap, I'm starting to love it.

--Ended up falling asleep for a bit. Still wearing nicely a few hours later. It IS a nice blend, but I think I have decided this isn't a "me" smell. Too much cedary/clovey Christmas store. I will hold on to my decant and perhaps try it again when the mood strikes me... Smells really great in my cleavage, but just isn't quite right. Wish I knew which note it was. I will guess cloves + something else.

When I went to shower (with some relief that this would be coming off, despite half of me loving it), the steam mixing with the oil made me think this would be REALLY nice in a bath. May have to try that sometime, if I don't decide to pass on the imp.

this is a very light musk on me...i like the way if smells in the bottle better...stronger and with more leather.

In the vial: Soft, spicy citrus

Wet: Green, fresh citrus

Dry: Very, very green floral & citrus

Overall: Too green for me.

Imp: A very faint citrus and musk

Wet: Initially, I could barely smell this on my skin. It was a faint fruit scent, like the scent had already faded.

Drydown: After it warmed up, I was able to smell a very faint leather scent. The scent never got much stronger. After about 30 minutes, it went off on my skin. I got the oily waxy smell reminiscent of the base scent of some bath/body products. Not good. I never got any spice.

Overall: This was very faint on my skin. I had to stick my nose in it to smell it. I was really excited to try this from the great reviews. Unfortunately, it didn't work with my chemistry. :(

Sniffed: Rich golden oil. Spicy, smoky resins and herbs with a hint of citrus. Tons of caraway, myrrh, sage, black amber, clove and cinnamon. The musk/melon/citrus layer reminds me of 51. Very 'incensey'.

Wet: Much lighter, fresher, and more cologne-y, with loads of grapefruit, mandarin, lemon balm and musks. A fair bit of slikc leather, too, and still lots of sage. Still spicy, but distantly. I get a bit of soapy-floral dragon's blood. Kind reminds me of Faiza, but a more unisex version.

Dry: This is a strangely mesmerising scent (appropriately enough!); it's not me at all - too much spice and smoke - but I can't stop sniffing. The leather is amping, which is not good with this type of leather (plastic/chemical), and this is going more and more musky. The citrus holds really well!

Later: Amazingly, the spices do not amp on me as they nearly always do. This oil also dries very slowly, which may account in part for the minimal morphing. Maybe a little more soapy? But it mostly just feels clean.

Summary: After a few hours it does dry down to mostly spices, resins, leather and musks, and is pretty intense and masculine. Still, there's sage and citrus to lighten it a bit, and it's a very complex and intriguing scent. Incredible throw & longevity.

780794884_eTKdo-Ti.jpg

Amber has reared its ugly plastic head on my skin in this blend. :( I had to take this off quickly to avoid the dreaded plastic headache, but I'm going to keep the bottle and try again later and hope for a better reaction. It wasn't like this when I used the decant...I hate when this happens! Edited by stellans

This smelled nothing like I would've imagined from the notes. It honestly smells very floral, a sweet herby floral but unfortunately 95% of floral scents go the same way with me in dry-down. And this was the case here too, all powder in the end.

Very interesting scent. Sour plasticky bitter herbs in the bottle. Blends seamlessly on the skin. The throw is a beautiful vaguely floral but non descript perfume. Up close on the skin i smell the citrusy green aspects. They're not sweet or floral up close at all, but hard to describe as they're like blanketed under a layer of dark, smoky, sultry resins. Hard to pin down but gorgeous af. Don't get any leatheriness in the wet phases at all.

Edited by DiZZysTARdust

Looking at all those notes, it's hard to predict what this one will smell like. Well, I can tell you exactly what it smells like. Mulled wine, clary sage, and something as decadent as chocolate without actually being chocolate. Like it stops just short of being a 13-type of blend with that whole wine and chocolate and herbs vibe, but where those have always been rather muddled and unsettled to me, I Married a Vampire knows what it is. Sex sex sex. This is insolently musky with Epicurean vibes, languishing on a chaise lounge somewhere with a teddy half-falling off one shoulder. 

It's one sexy blend, with a bit of hypnotic effect from the clary sage. All the fruits really aren't playing into anything except a mulled-spice wine effect. Like I swear there is a wine note in here, but of course there's not. I think people who tend to like those dark amber/dark musk/wine kind of blends will adore this. And if you are a clary sage fan like I am, this is a must have.

Adore my bottle, probably don't need a backup but DAMN it's sexy.

To me, this scent is rather discordant- it is sour and sweet and acrid and smooth all at the same time! The clove amps to high heavens on my skin, with a backdrop of pretty harsh men's cologne on the drydown. I was really hoping to love this one, but it's just a bit too weird for me. It just screams sharp citrus, squeaky clean leather, and CLOVE! I will keep it because I adore the name of it, but I don't think I'll be wearing it. I think, if you have a hard time with clove like I do, this won't be the one to fix it for you!