Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
GypsyRoseRed

I Married a Vampire from Planet X

A blend of blood-soaked daemonorops, black amber, dark musk, glistening leather, caraway, smoky myrrh, cinnamon, and clove that is glowing with a luminescent, space-addled coating of clary sage, lemon balm, white grapefruit rind, mandarin, green melon, and white musk.

This is one truly complex scent! It's darn good, but hard to review. At times I smell something similar to Crowley, and then I smell The Caterpillar. It could be considered masculine and has that kind of feel, but it works just as well as a feminine scent. I can smell leather, musk, and something bright, sweet, and warm. I think it would be a great scent for any season, and would be light enough for Summer. My husband doesn't know it yet, but he's going to be trying it this weekend.

I like this scent a lot.

Imp: Clove and lemon.

Wet: Lemon and something else. very clean, both of them.

Drydown: This gets sweeter. Less lemon, more melon and clove and sage. It was very faint, but then, I didn't put a lot on. I'm not sorry I didn't get a bottle, and I'll use the imp.

I've had fun with this one!

Not sure exactly how to describe the bottle other than spicey with a bit of ceder- sort of like one of those old country stores that sell knickknacks and oldfashioned candy.

It dryed down to sweet smelling cedar, sort of like one of those little suvinere boxes, without being too overpowering. My fiance really liked the spicy ceder smell. I got sniffed a lot on the way to work.

After a couple of hours it seems to have turned into sweet cinnamon and clove. :P

I rather like this, I didn't find it overpowering at all as the sweet smelling aspects kept the ceder scent on my skin in check. I was also happy when appearntly it made my lazy coworker stuffy, so he has been motovated to go out and actually DO some work for once, rather than ignoring it all until I got sick of it pileing up and decide to do it myself.

As of now, I'm sort of reminded a bit of the way Uranus smells with the nice clove, but also the sweet aspect of Jailbait. The remainder really smells like the lovechild of Uranus and Jailbait. That's totally a good thing!

In the bottle:

Hm. Sweetish musk with a hint of fruity floral. Can't smell any leather, clove, or cinnamon.

Wet on skin:

Still sweet but the musk warms up a little and becomes spicier.

Dry on skin:

Spicy yet somehow sweet musk and leather. I could smell it still when I was at work (applied before going in) but not by the time I got home. I was training some other people that day and they were asking me what I was wearing. I felt goofy saying it was "I Married a Vampire from Planet X". :P But hey, I have purple-red streaks in my hair, people expect me to be weird.

Bought one more bottle -- haven't decided if I'm going to use it as a back up or trading fodder yet. Further testing is required especially now that my first scent locked has arrived and am awaiting two more.

Edited by TwilightEyes

I like this one very much! The citrus really amps on my skin, which I like. I always think I won't like grapefruit, but BPAL grapefruit comes thru very nicely and doesn't have that initial BO scent. That's what it smells like to me for other brands - BO! This dries down nicely I read that someone said it is a bit soapy, and I get that, too. Not spicy on me. Overall I like this very much.

Clove, citrus rind, musk, myrrh.....

It's like a spiced, citrusy Black Lace. It's such a strange combo, the creamy musk against the sharp clove and citrus zest, with the sultry incensey myrrh and Dragon's Blood (aka daemonorops - thanks Wikipedia!).

As it dries down, the citrus mellows out and goes more to the background, and the musk, incense, and clove dominate in a creamy-spicy swirl of olfactory intrigue.

I have to say that, to me, this scent bears similarities to Gypsy Queen and Voodoo Queen, and I'm willing to bet that it becomes a cult-favorite BPAL scent - especially after it's aged.

I don't know if I will get much wear out of it fresh...I will hold on to my decant and see what I think in a year or so, but right now it's a little intense for me to wear as a perfume. (That's my own personal opinion, I am sure that others will think differently : -)

Drop-dead sexy as hell. A surprising little gem!

4.4 out of 5

Nary a garlic clove in sight, Vampire X is mostly clove of the traditional variety. It's nicely sweetened by the fruits, and I can detect a murky musk/amber in the background. It's nice, but not outstanding in any way, other than its super-cool horror movie name!

Vampire From Planet X isn’t too masculine, but I get a sweet bright musky leathery. No clove. No melon. It was sweet initially, and leathered up as it dried down. It is very nice… but it seems to almost be gone now. No! Vampire alien man! Come back! I will have to do a full wear and see if he sticks around a bit longer. Very nice leather scent. :P

In the imp: sexy amber-myrrh with spices and musk. Reminds me of Count Dracula, but smoother.

Wet on skin: gorgeous spicy amber-musk!

Dry on skin: now I smell the lighter ‘space’ notes, the white musk, the sage, hints of citrus, all forming an ethereal layer over a wonderful dark scent of amber, myrrh, musk and spices with a hint of leather and a sexy sweetness. This is a stunning scent! The lighter notes, at times reminiscent of 51, don’t clash with the dark ones, they add a glowing, fresh dimension to the deeper notes. The spicy dark musky-resin scent is breathtaking stuff. The black amber reminds me slightly of the Emathides, the spices are warm and delicious, and the sweet, almost vanilla-tonka sweet, leathery musk is reminiscent of Crowley or even Smut.

After a while: the dragon’s blood, normally a note I dislike, is really good in here. In fact, it reminds me of the DB in Red Moon, which I love. I think it’s the combination of amber and DB that does this. Over time this reminds me more and more of Red Moon 07, but this is both darker and also fresher than that. The white musk and black musk contrast and complement each other and at times they smell like red musk. The citrus is gone but the sweet melon is there, as is the sage. The dark sweet amber and DB are fantastic together, I don’t get as much obvious spice now but the cinnamon and clove are still around…the Crowley-like leather underscores it all.

At drydown it goes into another leathery stage before returning to it’s Red Moon-like scent at the end, a darker version of RM, dragon’s blood and musky amber with a hint of smoke. Mmm.

Verdict: mmm, smelling like a vampire with laser beam eyes from outer space is more wonderful than I expected. The two different aspects of this scent-the light musk paired with fruity and green notes and the rich musky resinous leather-go together surprisingly well. I love the smouldering shadowy notes of this scent, with a dragon’s blood note that actually works on me (yay), a totally irresistible black amber and musk, and sexy leather and a spicy kick, but hovering over the top is the citrus and white musk and tea which at times takes the edge off the dark notes and adds a very interesting contrasting layer to the fragrance, at other times it merges nicely with the base notes and makes this scent sleeker and adds a silvery-green sheen to the spicy deep notes. At times this reminds me of Red Moon 07 with hints of Crowley, which is a very good thing. I could see this as being devastatingly delicious on a man, but I love it on me…this spaced-out sexy scent is really out of this world!

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Definitely! I have two bottles!

If you like this, try: Crowley, 51, Smut, Red Moon 07, Count Dracula, Sin, Priala, Emathides, High Priest Not To Be Described

I originally wasn't interested in either of the B Movie scents - scents with a long list of notes don't tend to work for me, and both of them had notes I am afeared of. However, I smelled both bottles at a Meet and Sniff and decided I had to try them!

As I opened the vial of Vampire, I got a bit on my fingers - may I swoon? Just the little on my fingers has major throw, and smells like grapefruit and orchids.

Trying it for real, now! This is so bright and happy smelling. I guess it's a friendly Vampire From Planet X. where they drink flower nectar instead of blood, and sink their teeth into grapefruit rather than necks.

I get not one whiff whatsoever of the leather, myrrh, darker musks, or 'cologne'! It's just a gorgeous, spicy citrus on me. Since my initial trial was so successful (I consider any scent that has me continuously huffing my arm a success), I upgraded to a bottle. :P

It's really too bad that my chemistry amps clove so I don't get the lovely complexity that others do from this blend. All I get is clove. My decant is already off to a new home though.

I originally wasn't interested in either of the B Movie scents - scents with a long list of notes don't tend to work for me, and both of them had notes I am afeared of. However, I smelled both bottles at a Meet and Sniff and decided I had to try them!

As I opened the vial of Vampire, I got a bit on my fingers - may I swoon? Just the little on my fingers has major throw, and smells like grapefruit and orchids.

Trying it for real, now! This is so bright and happy smelling. I guess it's a friendly Vampire From Planet X. where they drink flower nectar instead of blood, and sink their teeth into grapefruit rather than necks.

I get not one whiff whatsoever of the leather, myrrh, darker musks, or 'cologne'! It's just a gorgeous, spicy citrus on me. Since my initial trial was so successful (I consider any scent that has me continuously huffing my arm a success), I upgraded to a bottle. :P

I agree with the above. I did not get leather, DBR, or any clove. I got pure, musky, otherworldly, vampire sex musk. Great Sillage too. Its starts out citrus-y, a LOT like 51 and then morphs into this come-hitherness with ambery musky laser-y goodness. You know that Stephen King movie (okay--there's more than one) where all the alien sh** glows uranium green? This is how the green smells...

Obviously, I loved it.

Honey and hay. I'm not kidding, that's what this smelled like wet. Then it got a bit brighter, some wood snuck in, the hay dissipated and the honey stayed throughout. It reminded me a bit of Cairo (a less strong version of it) and I think it's really quite yummy, but I don't have a clue why I'm getting honey so strong. I will try this one out again next week and see how it fares then.

What a strange and confusing scent... As much as Lunar Eclipse, if not more so! When first applied it was very warm and spicy, pretty much as you'd expect from the first set of notes (up until the "luminescent, space-addled coating"). But as it settles in, the other half begins to come out.

It seems like two scents in one. It was mainly on the strength of the first one that I ordered a decant, but the second one isn't all bad... It really smells like a nose-confusing contradiction, though! But in a mostly good way.

Eventually as it settles in, the two sides do sort of meld together. I think the first one is a little more dominant, as notes like myrrh and amber and clove tend to be a lot longer lasting than citrus and other lighter scents, but you do still get a trace of the lighter side.

All in all, I really like this. I think.

Grade: B+

I could have sworn that I had reviewed this before, but I can't find it.

This is just an amazing scent on me. The citrus scent, especially the grapefruit, clary sage, and lemon balm, seems to float on the top of the dark musks, leather and spices (caraway! mm!).

The overall scent doesn't smell much like the individual notes, just goood, but the notes can be picked out with some effort.

Very definitely a keeper. Glad I dared to buy a bottle unsniffed.

I feel like somehow I got the wrong oil or something, but both my imp and the bottle smell the same. To my nose this is Voodoo Queen without it's signature must, with the rose replaced by plum.

I didn't think I'd like this one, but I do. It has a dark, almost chypre-like scent. I can smell the leather in it but it's not OMG LEATHER, it's subtle. I like the dark musk and myrrh with it. I can't really smell any of the lighter notes (lemon balm, grapefruit rind, etc.), but the scent isn't completely dark so I know they must be adding to it. Maybe I can smell a very slight whiff of lemon, but I wouldn't have been able to pick it out.

This is probably one of the more unisex scents, but I wouldn't call it masculine.

In the bottle, this is incredibly subtle - just a hint of the white musk and some of the fruit.

On my skin, it's very warm and dark at first - the myrrh, clove, caraway, a hint of the leather - then the brightness of the grapefruit rind and lemon balm come up.

When it dries, it's much lighter than before - very complex, very well-blended - sort of stand-offish, refined, alien almost.

Initial thoughts: I got both B Movie scents to try, almost purely because of the names, but out of the pair of them, this is the one I was really hoping would work on me. Teenage Cannibal, the other scent, will most probably end up far too sweet and cheeky for me to pull off, but this one's got a real chance.

Notes wise - I know daemonorops is a kind of I Can't Believe It's Not Dragon's Blood! - they're different species but apparantly produce similar, but not identical, resins. I'm unsure about that one note, but the rest of the line reads great right the way up to 'clove'. I'm tentative on the citrus, herb and white musk combination that comes at the end.

In the bottle: Leather, musk and myrrh with a mellow citrus tang at the end and a spicy tingle. I'm impressed.

On the wrist, wet: Citrus. Air freshener citrus. Oh dear.

Ten minutes later: Spicy citrus air freshener in a leather box. With a fresh sage and melon tang (Actually, that's quite nice...). It is improving, I just can't shake the ACH! air freshner. I think it's the grapefruit and the mandarin, personally. I have to go to work now and don't have time to wash it off, so I'll try and keep track of how it morphs through the day. At the moment I'm thinking I'll have to test it again later on in the week.

Some hours later (And at work - I'm a bad person): This is better. This is slightly spicy patent leather and green melon juice. THIS I can work with.

Many hours later (About eight - it's got excellent throw and stamina, I'll give it that): The melon has finally started to fade. It never quite lost it's slightly chemical smack, but at least after half an hour or so it shrank down to skin-hugging distance. The throw was mostly melon - yummy melon - with the spicy leather somewhat closer to my skin. This one definately deserves a second test, because my skin chemistry's off right now, and I'm not getting rid of the bottle. It's not quite in the 'You'll have to prise it from my cold dead fingers!' catagory, but I'm not letting it go just yet.

Verdict: Keeper, but it warants another test before I decide in what capacity.

Tl;Dr: Starts off like airfreshener, mellows out after a while into spice, leather and melon.

Preconceptions: How is this going to work with all these notes? How can I not at least give it a try given the ubercool bottle art and name?

In the imp: Musky and fruity. Musk melon?

Wet on skin: Musk melon alternating with wafts of resin and smoky leather.

Drydown: An incredibly erotic blend of sensual resins, musk, and smoky leather. The spices (cinnamon and clove predominantly) ignite the senses and the leather, and the musk inflames the sniffer further. Like the gaze of the vampire, the combination is hypnotic, sensual, and irresistable! The musky layer is otherworldy and adds a dimension not present in other resin blends. The contrast of the sweet grapefruit and melon with the dreamy sage and musk complements the dusky, smoldering resin and leather in a way I would not think possible--somehow this works.

Overall impression: How does the Lab nail it like this? The top notes of musky melon and grapefruit are balanced and contrasted by the resinous base that is mysterious, hypnotic and erotic at the same time. Think Bloodkiss or Count Dracula meets 51. This is such a complex and dramatic scent, I am not sure how often I will wear it, but it should definitely be experienced. A masterpiece--worthy of an A+ rating for ingenuity, although I give it a B+ for wearability--unless you are going to that midnight double feature.

I Married a Vampire From Planet X-

In Bottle: Dark floral, with a touch of musk.

Wet: A bit of red musk, masculine-smelling cologne-type notes near it.

Dry: Masculine scent. If I didn't know there was leather in this I wouldn't have known what to call it, but I can sense it. A masculine scent with strong leather tones. It's not that eye-watering men's cologne smell; it's actually rather nice, but it is very masculine and not one I'd wear, I don't think.

Overall: Not so much for me.

I received this in a swap from a very generous Forumite!!! For some reason I get rose, cinnamon, and clove in this scent. It's absolutely gorgeous. None of the melon rind or white musk comes out but I can definitely smell the black musk. It's very dark and sweet, almost sensual. And this is the second bottle I have ever run into in the BPAL kingdom that has cinnamon that I can wear. This imp is a definite keeper!!! :P :D

In bottle: I have concerns about this due to the citrus and black musk because of how it amps, but a forumite was kind enough to send some to assuage my curiosity. Sweet grapefruit on top, with the other fruit supporting it. The incense and spice give a vaguely unearthly, sensual air to it. Nice fit to the concept. Wet: the incense strengthens on my skin. This is surprisingly tasty, a cousin to Cheshire Moon. It is much lighter and fresher in tone than I expected from the scent description, but this is all to the good. Dry: Given time strange delicate note combinations play subtly and quietly with each other. Weirdly, the spices strengthen as it wears. It is glorious, but it hasn’t much throw.

In the vial: Herby, citrusy, pungent.

Wet: Herbs and spices, mostly. There's something very sweet at the very bottom of it, though, and a bite that's resinous. As it develops, the musk ramps up, crowding out the herbs.

Twenty minutes: Soap. This smells like an herbal soap to me, but the more I sniff at it the more I notice other subtleties like the spices. I can make out the amber and myrrh too. It smells okay, but on another chemistry I bet this one would be fabu.

One hour: Sweeter now; I think the resins have pushed the herbs out of bed, leaving only the spices to play with. I think I'm beginning to figure out what "daemonorops" smells like, because this reminds me of a note in "Anactoria."

Two hours: Still pleasant., but less sweet than before. Now it's amber-cinnamon-musk with that note of daemonorops in the background.

Four and a half hours: Still interesting. I might have to keep this.

Hmm, manly. This is a citrusy musk at the beginning. Now it's something dark, and brooding. It kinda has a spicy edge to it. The leather is prominent right now, and BPAL leather is a hugely dominant note for me. This one is definitely vampy, male leather.

Guh.

If only my husband could wear this, I'd be all over him. Unfortunately, it's not his kind of blend. Sad, but true.