Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
GypsyRoseRed

I Married a Vampire from Planet X

Unspeakable HORROR and SHOCKING supernatural space SEX!
Can they find MARITAL BLISS on EARTH?

A blend of blood-soaked daemonorops, black amber, dark musk, glistening leather, caraway, smoky myrrh, cinnamon, and clove that is glowing with a luminescent, space-addled coating of clary sage, lemon balm, white grapefruit rind, mandarin, green melon, and white musk.

This blend doesn't smell like anything special in the bottle, but I'm happy to say that once applied, it became something more beautiful than I ever could have guessed given the listed notes. I was expecting something cool and citrus, but the ingredients are skillfully blended to create something that manages to be dark and somehow clean at the same time. When it first dried, it smelled soap-and-water clean, but about thirty minutes in, the dark musk, white musk, black amber and smoky myrrh come into play and the prettiness took on a smoky, slightly creamy, sexy edge that make it a truly exceptional scent. The wear length and throw are good, too - three hours later, it's going strong and only getting better. Of the two B movie exclusives, this is my favorite, hands down. Gorgeous! :P

I have to agree with GypsyRoseRed on this one. In the bottle alls I smell is a musky leather. Once applied it gets so nice and warm, but with the smoothness of the sage cooling it a bit. Mmm i smell that bit of citrus. Either its the lemon balm or the grapefruit rind or mandarin, or its all three playing up a bit of a citrus note overall, but it is quite lovely. It has a nice incense scent wafting around all the notes Lovely!!!

This one is a keeper!!! And I love the B movie art!!!

I have to divide my review of I Married a Vampire from Planet X into two parts. If I sniff my wrist at a distance of more than two inches, I like it a lot. There's clove, always a favorite of mine, but it's wonderfully gentle here. Then there's a surge of slightly astringent, powdery sweetness.

If I huff at close range, I notice a certain note that doesn't work for me, and I've never been able to pin down what it is. It might be the musk or it might be the melon. Whenever I wear a blend that has this note, no one else smells anything off, so it's definitely something about my nose and my scent preferences.

bottle: a soft, herby musk scent..

wet: whoa! musk and leather and sage and citrus. this is awesome on my skin.

dry: this dries very leathery and musky with a hint of sage. nice.

I was completely blown away when I first read the note list for this one: it's a stroke of genius to translate these vivid visual elements into scent so perfectly. The vampire, drawing you to him with a musky, leathery warmth, hypnotizing with the dusky, dusty aroma of ancient spices and antique resins -- coated in an eerie, ghostly sheen of glowing, throbbing green. Nothing suggests that eerie pulsating combination of pale green and shimmering white quite like the combination of sage, citrus, melon and white musk. I couldn't imagine how they'd work together so well but they do!

The green layer hovers around the deeper, darker spices and resiny leather, inviting you to breathe deeper and inhale every layer. The palest hints of citrus sparkle with ghostly pallor, muted somewhat by the round, unripe melon and the crisp tingle of sage. Sleepwalking into the glow, you're enrobed in the warmth of faint clove, spices, and nuzzle against musk-warmed leather. Just gorgeous. I go mainly for masculine scents for myself and this stuff just takes to my skin like you wouldn't believe. I'm going to have to practice saying the full name of this so I can remember to tell people what I'm wearing, because I think I'm going to be wearing it a lot.

I Married a Vampire from Planet X

Wet: In the bottle this smells like red resin and a smooth, smoky, musky leather.

Dry: This dries into the most amazing, sensual blend of antique resins, red daemondrops, musk, and leather. The caraway, cinnamon, and clove (especially) are complementary to the resins, leather, and musk. I actually expected this darker, deeper part of the blend to be very dominating, strong, and in my face. Instead I find that it is a very smooth, rounded mixture. It serves as a strongly suggestive, sensual, sinister base.

The top layer of this fragrance is much more subtle, but I can definitely detect the sage and white musk, followed by a touch of melon and grapefruit. It doesn't distract from the prominent base, yet it adds so much more to the overall picture.

The two aspects of this fragrance work together beautifully, and much better than I hoped. This is definitely a keeper. I find it to be gender neutral, sexy as hell, and it has a good throw and wearlength.

I Married a Vampire from Planet X - I don't smell anything that any of the other reviewers are smelling. From the moment I first opened the bottle to the moment I applied to my skin to now - much later - all I smell is vegetable juice. Mostly tomato. It's kind of like having a V-8 or drinking Bloody Mary mix with extra celery. It's just weird on me. I don't think I've ever had such a totally off-the-mark reaction to a scent. I have no idea which note(s) is doing this, but it's definitely not for me. Smells good enough to toss some vodka in and have a drink, though!

The lily *kills* this for me =( Without it, Vampire is a warm, musky leathery scent--my sorta BPAL!--but something that smells just like lily adds a strong clean, slightly soapy floral note, and I really can't stand that sorta thing. I am sad :P.

Edited by joseybird

I definitely agree that in the bottle, this doesn't smell particularly great - sort of generally perfumey and musky. When it goes on my skin though, it warms up significantly and I start to get a faint leather and musk scent with cinnamon and clove. Despite all of those things being usually in-your-face notes, these are rather toned down and a lot less masculine/spicey than you'd think. It's sophisticated and very unisex and quite wearable. The only thing I don't like about this scent is the floral which keeps this from being an "OMGLOVE" scent for me. I still like it though - it reminds me a lot of Ecstasy: True Love in a way - something about the well blended notes and air of sophistication I think.

Vampire and Teenage Cannibal just arrived and although I expected to love Cannibal best, the complexity of Vampire in the bottle sucked me into trying it first. So far, no one note dominates, although I get a soft, soft clove fairly consistently. Wet, the melon and citruses seemed stronger but as it dries, everything is blending into a warm, strong but not overpowering combo. I'm surprised at how much I like this and delighted that I got a bottle.

Oh wow. Oh WOW.

I got a decant of this from a circle on LJ and am SO GLAD I did!

Imp:

Clove, leather, warm amber.

Wet:

The same, but with the sweetness of dragon's blood coming out just a hint. For folks who don't like it, I don't think you need to be afraid of it here. It's really supporting the leather, not overwhelming it.

Drydown:

I do not know how this was accomplished, but this blend brings to mind exactly what it's called: a vampire from another planet. This is a warm, slightly musky, sexy vampire wearing a leather jacket. Who is glowing slightly green. This is the BPAL glow-in-the-dark vampire scent! :P It's as if the lab took a leathery, spicy dragon's blood scent and mixed it with the green melon and musk notes from 51, which is exactly what I was hoping for. I don't get floral from this at all. It's leather and spice with a light green aura. I'm surprised the notes work, but they do, and perfectly. When I sniff my wrist, I get more of the warm base, and the aura seems to fade in and out. Spoooooky.

The dragon's blood note in this is, to me, very much like that in Red Moon, but without the heady floral notes.

Final: This is in my top ten. Even my top three. I'm buying a bottle and would get two if I could afford it. When I run out of this, I'll be layering Dragon's Reverie and 51 to try and recapture it.

EDIT:

Okay, I bought two bottles. And I've used an entire imp in two days.

...I think I need like a dozen more bottles of this. Seriously. It's awesome.

Also, this could definitely be used on men, but I am female and like powerful scents, and it works just fine on me. It's not too masculine.

Edited by starwild

Bought this for the Hubby since it has some of the same notes as Count Dracula, his fave.

Well, verdict is in:

Hubba hubba!!! It is teh SEXXXY on my man!! :P

OFFICIAL REVIEW:

Bottle: cinnamon in a big way!!

on wet: cinnamon with some other notes---the fruit comes out some with perhaps a little sage-y-ness.

Dry: HUBBA HUBBA! This is a lovely masculine scent on my sweetie. It is very well-blended. Spicy, but balanced. The tiniest touch musky in a sexy way, but the musk does not dominate nor is it too prominant. In fact, no one note really takes over in a prima-donna-ish way.

Great blend!

Certainly a keeper!

In bottle: light spicy incense

On skin: clean, almost soapy musk

Half-hour later: the "green" notes have amped up further, making this more aftershave-cologney on me

In conclusion: this is definitely one of the more masculine blends I've purchased, but I'm actually enjoying it. Clean and bright, like just stepping out of the shower, and I'm fairly confident I'm not smelling like a dude.

The musky base is pure love though, and I'm hoping that gets stronger as it ages.

This smells alot like what I hoped War would smell like on me, and without the rancid note! I get the daemonorops, musk, leather, cinnamon, clove, amber and sage. I might also be getting the grapefruit, but I can't pinpoint it exactly. I'd have liked the cinnamon to stick around for a while longer, but at least it was there and didn't burn my skin.

I like this alot, but I'm not sure yet if I need a whole bottle. I have a decant and that's enough for now.

Edited by scarletgenesis

straight sniff from bottle is dark musk and amber...

once applied on my skin this *is* thierry mugler's angel .... i am not quite

sure how our lovely, resident perfumer blended this but it is very close to

that blend minus the cocoa ...with some green after 15-30 minutes....

this is incredibe and beautiful and a complex morpher....i am going to

cherish this bottle for years to come....

p.s. after reading all the other reviews i love that this is completely different

with everyone's chemistry....ultra cool in my eyes!!

Bottle: Leather

Wet: Leather, amber and spicy musk.

Drydown: It's a bit traditional and masculine on me, but I'm definitely gonna try it again. I'm really glad I tried it!

Despite being traditional, it's very sexy to me.

3.5 outta 5

This is so intense. Its strong leather and clove in the beginning. Overwhelmingly sexy. With the caraway and musk it smells like something edgy and dangerous. Kind of smoky and very spicy. But despite the cinnamon and clove it isn't at all foody. It's too wrapped up in the leather and musk. The musk is somewhat masculine, especially combined with the leather.

The lighter notes appear more as it dries, surprisingly. I thought they would be most prominent when it was wet. But all of the sudden it smells more fresh, more vibrant. More of a crystalline scent mixing with the heavier fragrance. There even seems to be a green note somewhere. Not sure if I am just noticing the sage all of the sudden or what.

Damn I do love this one. It has a depth and complexity that is just gorgeous. It's fierce and I feel very sexy in it.

I MARRIED A VAMPIRE FROM PLANET X

In Bottle: Clean and sweet, musky

On Skin: I have to say, I love this scent except for the clove and cinnamon. If they weren’t there I’d be totally in love. The darkness of the resins and musk, the sultry leather, the smokiness of the myrrh… so dark and secretive… with the other notes so clean and bright in comparison. Yummy sweet melon, tart grapefruit, lemon, and mandarin. The white musk offering a clean and slightly soapy feel. The sage is herbal and sharp, combined with the melon give the scent a green feel. All together so lovely… but then the cinnamon comes it, very hot and spicy and a bit off to me, followed by the highly metallic smelling clove which kills it for me. As the scent fades a bit, the clove thankfully fades as well. In it’s final dry down stages I can handle the scent, but I don’t think it’s one I’ll wear often. Moderate throw and average wearlength.

On me this scent is sweet slightly spice laden musk, rich and smooth. If this scent was a man I'd already be making some serious advances, which leads me to think that as awesome as this scent is on me it would be downright orgasmic on my boyfriend.

I was afraid the spices would overwhelm all the other elements and that my nemesis cinnamon would take over, fortunately it just blends in with everything else in this beautifully blended scent. I'll be applying lightly though, I can see how it would overwhelm when slathered.

This is my favorite of the B-movies and will have a home in my bottle-box.

this is very well blended and i am having trouble picking out notes. it reminds me of the guess perfume i wore in the 90s, that turned on mel. it's warm and spicy and the tonka is pretty strong, i just get a nose-burning sensation from this, as my skin amps something in this and turns it a bit sour. too bad, as i love b movies and was really hoping i'd love this one. most of these notes work on me, so i'm not sure what the culprit is here!

Mmmmm...this was the first bottle I tried out of the scents I got today (all my awaited packages came at once- scent party!!) and it is just incredible!! In the bottle it smelled very herbal with darker undertones, but once it hit my skin it became predominantly a musky, spicy, herbal wine smell. Yum. I can't seem to take my nose away from my wrist...

Everything is very well blended in this one, like others have said, and at points I can detect pretty much all of the notes, although the most dominant of them all is the musk. One the other side, the leather and citrus are probably the most understated for me, they just peek out from time to time and make this blend all the more intriguing- so those afraid of leather should not be in this blend (some leather gives me headaches but this one is just fabulous and behaves itself). The tone of this blend is really sexy and mysterious- one that I could see myself wearing often :P . It is pretty unique in the world of BPAL blends- I can't find much to compare it with since it is made up of so many things! I am very happy to own a bottle. (in fact, just now I went ahead and ordered a second :D)

I really enjoy this scent and its progression.  Starts off with a sweet, deep, resinous amber and myrrh paired with creamy, green melon and lemonbalm.  The green aspect smells grassy and soft, like laying in a green meadow on soft meadow grasses.  As it dries down, the dragon's blood comes in and it's the beautiful, glowing red, incensey kind of dragon's blood (not the watery floral type in a lot of the Lab's Ars Draconis scents) paired with smoky leather and just enough warmth from the cinnamon and clove.  The spices are well behaved and enhance the blend rather than taking over.  The bit of fruity freshness stays in the undercurrent as well and this is just such a strange, complex, but beautifully haunting blend.  It reminds me of something that would be in Mugler's collection of Alien flannkers.  Unusual, but still has a classic perfume feel, and so unique and complex.

Edited by Little Bird

In the decant: Fruity, clean, sweet.

Wet: O HAI! I CAN HAS DRAGONZ BLUD! Almost a bit soapy as it starts to dry, but then it gets spicier.

Drydown:

1. Oh my verbing deity, I love this.

2. Dude, this is Dragon's Hide with spice.

3. No, dude, this is Dragon's Musk with smoke.

4. Repeat Stage 1.

In its well-blended nature, and apparent love of my skin, this reminds me of a couple of this past year's run of astrological oils. Good throw; I'm still testing the wearlength, but I will be requiring a minimum of one bottle, and I doubt I'll be able to keep it to that. And to think I ordered my decant mostly for the daemonorops and the name (muttering about personal life redacted)!

Verdict: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

In the bottle it smelled smoky and medicinal. I wanted this one more of the two, because it sounded so much more complex. It wasn't what I was expecting, because I hadn't realized that this has a no-no note in it for me. Or, rather, I hadn't yet come to the conclusion that the note is a no-no. The offender? Myrrh. Fresh myrrh has taken to destroying blends.

So, basically, this turns into an ultimate fighting championship between the myrrh and the sage. That's all I get out of it. No sweetness. No tartness. No smoky vanilla. No amber, daemondrops, cinnamon, or leather. Just myrrh and sage.

I'll see how it ages. The myrrh might soften with time.

EDIT: Myrrh works for me in other blends, so I don't know. However, I do know that it becomes more complex on me one week every three months, when my hormones shift. Or it's aged. Hmm. Either way, I'm getting a very soapy undertone when I actually huff it. And... bacon? WTF? Okay, this is freaky. And unpleasant. :P There is a distinct "bacon grease" scent to this. Yeah..... I think this one needs to go away from me.

Edited by cordia

I'm terrible at identifying notes. :P That said...in the imp, my first thought was 'gender neutral, sort of'. But not the thought of 'guysmell' that I automatically get with some. On, I don't get much spice, just a warm sweetness, not overpowering. This lasts a nice long time and has good throw. I really like it! Must have a bottle or 2. :D

ETA to amplify--on me this becomes a lovely light musk with a hint of spice and a teeny whiff of leather.

Edited by dixiehellcat