Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Vanilla, saffron, and cream.

Had been on the lookout for an imp of this -- wasn't ready to commit to a bottle -- since reading the "cream soda" comps and snagged a small lot in which it was included on eBay.

Obviously it was VERY well aged. The label shows it was decanted by "Calixnoir."

I won't say I had really high hopes, despite my desire to try it ... I know that cream tends to go horribly wrong on me and vanilla can go either way.

IN THE IMP: Oh bad cream. Milk Moon-ishly sour. But there's also another component that rises behind it which is familiar, really familiar, but to my early-morning brain I can't quite make the connection.

Dabbed on my wrist and in the crook of my arm ... I often get different notes amping and even different drydowns there.

WET: The sour note that was so prevalent in the bottle calms down immediately upon application and at first it's just sweet vanilla, but then there's that familiar kick again ... and to me, it's not mint at all (mint is another note that goes HORRIBLE on me), it's sassafras and I smell like a root beer float. That is a good thing.

DRYDOWN: As it dries, the saffron-lovely-saffron rises and adds a middle-eastern medicinal note to the sweet root beer. It reminds me a LOT of my beloved Scherezade. The scents are markedly different on my wrist -- where it stays sweet and cream soda-y, and in the crook of my arm where it is full-on medicinal root beer float. That latter scent is FABBBBBBOOOOOOO.

OVERALL: I would try to find a big bottle except that there are clearly different "versions" out there and I wouldn't want to commit unless I knew I was getting that "medicinal root beer note" version. I'd sum this up, in the crook of my arm, as root-beer-scented Scherezade.

On a scale of 1-5, about a 3 on my wrist but a 5 in the crook of my arm. From here on in, I'll just apply it on the sweaty points.

This is different. Not really what I was expecting, but that's not really a bad thing. I was thinking Love's Philosophy would be this soft, sweet, floofy vanilla thing. Not so much.

In the bottle I get vanilla. But there's something stinging in there. Is that the saffron? It's got bite, but isn't really sharp. Hm.

Wet is ... odd. I dabbed this on in the car (obviously annoying the Mr. heh) and kept sniffing my wrists. AHA! Teaberry gum! With vanilla! What? There's no mint in this but I, like so many others, am getting a minty blast. It won't last though. The mint fades on drydown and ... there's that candle. Oof. Now, I love me a good vanilla candle, but I don't really want to wear one. It only lasts a moment though. Good.

Dry is good. Real good. Sniffable and sniffable and sniffable good. Creamy vanilla with a smattering of spicy warmth to it. The saffron isn't in-your-face at all, but adds this bazaar market kind of quality to it. I may have to seek another bottle of this.

I had wanted to try Love's philosophy for a long time before I finally managed to buy a bottle here on the forum. At first sniff, I got really scared. Sour. Milk. Blargh.

But once applied, it turned into a yummy creamy spicy vanilla. I find it sensual and sweet and I adore it!

Edited by Nemi

On me, this is fizzy root beer transitioning into vanilla-creamy goodness, all with that slight hint of herbal saffron keeping it from becoming flat or less interesting. A favorite for forever.

To me, this smells like a Strawberry Shortcake doll. Like, exactly like one. I like it, but I'm not sure I love it. But I am very glad I got to try it!

Edit: Okay wasn't going to add this because it went away fairly quick, but now I'm also getting toothpaste. I had it a bit on the drydown, but now about 30 minutes later, it's back. So it's like toothpaste and Strawberry Shortcake had a kid. Still good, but not quite my thing!

Edited by LadyWench

Yumm, this smells so good. I don't know why I didn't get more of it at the time. It was during my decant circle phase so perhaps my nose was burned out from decanting, or maybe aging really helps.

Mainly saffron and cream.

Lasts a really long time.

Sweet vanilla initially reminds me of a body shop lotion, but has an extra spicy quality that hurts my nose slightly but which I quite enjoy. I like getting rootbeery whafts of this which pop up intermittently. I'm usually not a huge vanilla fan, but I got a sniff of this in a swap with Clockwork Mom, and I'm kinda loving' it. I'm now taking a harder look at blends I thought wouldn't work, like Ava and Tombstone. Very enabling...

Oh gosh this is so lovely! I've always avoided cream because of a bad experience with bpal's milk note, but I just adore this! Soft and dreamy sweet cream with just a thread of saffron running through.

I don't like it wet, the saffron is very strong and it smells almost unpleasant. But just a few minutes on the skin and this blooms into something delicate and sweet. It reminds me a bit of Aristocratic Couple (same simplicity and delicacy) and Ivory Vulva (but much gentler).

EDIT: I've been on a real journey with this scent. While I loved the way it smelled when I first reviewed, I was ultimately unable to wear it because of how completely overpowering it was. I'd dab a small bit on my wrist and be unable to smell anything else all day but aggressive vanilla saffron. It wasn't exactly cloying but just overwhelming and distracting, not at all what I wanted or expected from a scent that has such soft, dreamy notes.

After a couple years of aging, the scent has settled down somewhat. I still have to be careful when applying, but now I can wear it and not be instantly overcome. It's still very strong though. 

Edited by Teaker

Cream, vanilla, and sweets do well with my skin chemistry, and I'm not a big fan of root beer.

This applies wet like a very smooth sugary vanilla. I can see the resemblance others have pointed out to B&BW Warm Vanilla Sugar. In the first 10 minutes or so, I do detect a fresh, almost minty, note that I believe is the herbal quality of the saffron. After this fades away it returns to this beautiful, creamy, decadent, sensual vanilla. This wears close to the skin, but it has a fair bit of sillage, when I leave and re-enter an area I've been for a while I can smell this lingering in the air. I keep getting little wafts of the perfume, a mix of slightly cold fresh vanilla buttercream, and deeper, soft vanilla.

This is really lovely!

Wet: Mmmm. Oh yum. So good. Super foodie vanilla, a hint of saffron making it perfumey as well. Love love love. Immediately want to find MOAR. Hope it dries this good!

Dry: Boozey, sexy vanilla. Love it. Need more, this partial is not going to be enough! This perfume is the perfect balance between foodie and perfumey vanilla, and I absolutely adore it.

ETA:

I am so glad this was brought back this year, since I had just fallen madly in love with it. This has quickly jumped high on my Top 10 list, and may be my favourite vanilla of all time. I find 2016 to be identical to 2008, to my nose.

Edited by LizziesLuck

I am a true Love's Philosophy disciple. I got it when it came out the first time and it was the first scent that I hoarded multiple bottles of. I've wondered for years when it might return, so I'm excited to see how this new 2016 batch compares to the original.

In The Bottle: Spicy-sweet vanilla. Just as I like it!

Wet On Skin: A bit of that 'wintergreen' effect that it sometimes does during this stage, but I'm not concerned, because....

Dry Down: ...Then it disappears and the saffron spice comes out and this becomes a vanilla chai without the cardamom.

In All: It's been too long to recall full what the original LP smelled like fresh. But if that version is the same, then I can tell y'all that this will only get better, richer and more wonderful with age. :)

I definitely get a small hint of a root beer element with this one, I made my Mother sniff it too, to make sure I wasn't just being silly and she smelled it too. I hate the smell of root beer was I was very scared that it wouldn't change.

Thankfully it did and it became pure spicy vanilla. Sexy, sweet spicy vanilla and I love it so much. I am wondering if one bottle is enough.

2016 version.

In the bottle: Syrupy vanilla, along with what must be the saffron or some unlisted notes (I have gotten both wintergreen and root beer – but not full-on root beer! – vibes, but other times, it just smells spiced), followed by the vanilla cream.

Wet: This kind of reminds me of slightly minty root beer or root beer barrel candies, but not quite. The cream note is stronger on my skin, but isn't as strong as the other notes. The cream note gaining prominence gives this more of a root beer float vibe. I really wasn't expecting this from this scent, but I love root beer, so I'm not complaining. As the scent begins to dry, the vanilla and cream notes are becoming stronger, and the root beer vibe is becoming less root beer-y.

Dry: Saffron, vanilla cream goodness. SO GOOD. :wub2:

Verdict: I am so glad I bought a bottle of this one! I knew it would be good, and it didn't disappoint! Now to decide whether or not one bottle will be enough... I'm thinking it won't be.

Edited by dementia_divine

Love's Philosophy 2016

OMG I love this! It's a spicy chai vanilla on my skin! It has amazing throw and lasts all day too! SO GOOD! I was afraid of the wintergreen note everyone mentioned but luckily I got none of it here! Maybe it was a little root beer like when wet but I don't mind that all, and it faded away quickly. And like I said before it leaves behind the spiciest vanilla chai scent. The bottle is cool too. Love the heart drawing. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Would someone mind telling me HOW I have lived without this scent in my life? I'm freaking out. Send help.

It is the perfect vanilla scent. Yes, we've got the saffron and cream too but on me, it is smooth and silky vanilla. It has a sort of clean edge to it too. Forgive me for not being more descriptive with that, but it's hard to explain.

Like clean, silken bed sheets that had been spritzed with vanilla absolute.

Just got my 2016 version bottle in the mail yesterday, and opened it immediately (though I did roll the bottle and shake it gently first).

Wet, it smells sweet/creamy/cool with a hint of something rootbeer-float or creamsicle like, presumably from the cream/saffron combo. It reminds me slightly of the creamsicle undertone in freshly applied/wet Titus Andronicus, though that's dark resins/woods with creamsicle and this is light/soft vanilla with creamsicle. I actually wish this stage lasted longer, because I really like the creamsicle/cream soda note.

Once it dries, my skin apparently eats it whole. I get a few minutes of the lovely "clean bedsheets spritzed with vanilla" scent cherrycherry describes (my first thoughts were of linen closets full of fresh/clean linens with scented sachets tucked in them, or lingerie drawers lined with scented tissue paper), but it very quickly dwindles down to "stick your nose directly against the skin of your wrist if you want to smell anything at all" levels. Since other reviews have describes this as having good throw, I'm assuming that either I didn't apply enough and I'm going to have to slather this one, or that my dry skin's desperate thirst for oils is too much for a scent this light and I'll have to put it on my clothes/hair.

Edit: After a second, much heavier application, I'm getting rootbeer/cream soda-flavored vanilla, like a sweeter and more feminine version of Tombstone. And my wish about the rootbeer float/cream soda/creamsicle stage lasting longer appears to have come true. Fifteen minutes after application, I'm still getting "sweeter/prettier Tombstone" rather than "clean vanilla-scented linens."

Edited by Elspethdixon

I didn't get any of the wintergreen or root beer weirdness that people are talking about, nor did I get very much vanilla out of this. I got a very strong cream and saffron scent, which is perfect for me. Good throw, long lasting. I'm glad it's not sweeter on me, because otherwise it might be a little too much. As it is, its lovely!

2016 Version

In the bottle: Wow! This comes off rather strong. Its pretty bad really. Not even sure what I'm smelling.

Wet: Hmm, not entirely sure. I'm getting a little vanilla, cream, and saffron. I do understand how some would think of root beer. But to me its not quite there. Though it does seem to have a familiarity to it.

Dry: The dry down is much better. I get a much creamier vanilla and saffron than in the wet stage. It turns out much better than how the bottle smelled to me. I'm glad to have been able to try it. Though I'm not sure if I'll get a bottle or not.( My hubby doesn't seem to like this one.)

Oh my, this is interesting. The saffron must be the star note here, because it's really changing up the vanilla and cream quite a bit. The most interesting thing about this blend, I find, it that is has an almost menthol-like quality. The vanilla is of an absolutely delicious variety, to be sure, and I always love a bit of cream, but the saffron is giving it a menthol-woods undertone. This makes it a far more complex vanilla scent than I expected, but, unfortunately it also smells *exactly* like this old tube of SPF 15 Vanilla flavored lip balm I used to have, from the dollar store. As it dries the saffron seems to turn everything kind of to plastic, enhancing the menthol quality until it becomes somewhat astringent. Urgh... :blush2: To swap or to let it age. hmm. I might just stash it for a decade and see what happens, because I'm very curious, but at the same time this blend and I are not playing at all well.

Final verdict: Welp, it's gone to sunscreen on me :think: . Make that SPF bug spray. :ugh: And then poof, gone. I'm really losing hope that aging is going to fix this problem....

Edited by Phox

2016 release:

I didn't pick up Love's Philosophy in 2008, so was eager to try the 2016 vintage. This is one of those perfumes that smells very different on me at different times of the month, so I've had a variety of testing experiences.

At it's best, it's an absolutely delicious saffron cream—like a gourmand's custard with an edge of something in the saffron that goes rooty-menthol. I can see the comparisons to cream soda (cream plus vanilla plus something rooty), as well as the reviews calling out wintergreen (vanilla plus menthol). The custard-y sillage is pretty wonderful.

On days when my skin chem isn't behaving, I get an additional chalky note that I'm not so fond of. Even so, keeping what I have...on a good day, Love's Philosophy is very good.

Love's Philosophy starts off as a BEAUTIFUL spicy vanilla cream...that then quickly flip-flops between plastic doll heads and cream soda. >_< Hoping more aging will bring out the former and less of the latter.

Love's Philosophy starts off on me as saffron-heavy which translates on my skin to something almost chalky and plastic-like. I can see where people might be getting root-beer from this although on my skin I wouldn't necessarily describe it as such.

However, within a few minutes it warms into a gorgeous airy cream and saffron. This is quite lovely. I would recommend it to anyone who is fond of cream scents. It's definitely leaning well toward gourmand the cool airy aspect is enough on me that it doesn't quite have to solidly stick there.

ETA: This is the 2016 version.

Edited by SimplySyra

Initially I do get the wintergreen scent but that fades away quickly. I'm left with a creamy vanilla, with beautiful bittersweet saffron. It's earth and a little spicy. I definitely see the comparisons to rootbeer. I really like this, but I love Grooming Scene in a Brothel even more.

In the bottle: Rich, cake-y vanilla.

Wet on my skin: A very even blend of vanilla, saffron, and cream - exactly in the order given in the notes.

Dry: The saffron in this fades fairly quickly, leaving a rich, foodie, and almost cake-like vanilla and cream with just a hint of the saffron in the background. It smells like I've dipped my wrist into a bowl of thick vanilla buttercream cake icing! It threatens to verge on plasticky at times, but seems to be reined in by that hint of saffron. I'm hoping aging will bring the saffron more prominently into the blend, but as it is, this is definitely a gourmand scent I can reach for when I'm in a mood for something richer and sweeter than my usual fare.

This is mostly vanilla cream on me with a spicy twist, the saffron is subtle and gives it just more of a general spice scent unless you get up real close, and then I can detect the saffron effect that has that sort of root beerish quality. I like it and considering how everyone raved about it, am glad I tried it, but I have vanilla cream scents I prefer a lot more.