Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
StrangeLove

Snow, Glass, Apples

In Neil's words, 'It smells like green apples and like sex and vampires, all at the same time. (Actually, it smells like sexy vampire apples.)'

If you ever have a chance to try this, TAKE IT. You will not regret it (except that it will make you want to hunt down and possess a bottle of it for yourself).

In the bottle: I think I just fell over and drooled a little bit in a BPAL state of bliss. :thud: This is apples, sweet and crisp. I couldn't tell you the variety, because I've never had an apple this good, this sweet and delicious. It's the best part of apple taste condensed into a blue vial.

Wet: Oh this is tasty. It's a cool green apple now. It's tarter, and the throw is great. *drool* I think I smell a bit of mint in there to give it that glassy, snowy edge.

Dry: It's faded (pretty quickly, as others have mentioned). Now it's just sad sweetness lingering on my wrists.

The imagery of this scent (I love the story), and the beauty of BPAL's well-blended apple note just do not compare to anything else in my collection. The closest I have would probably be Poisoned Apple, which has a similar tasty apple scent, but that one is more red and sweet, not cold and biting like SGA (and the girl in the story) are. Cold, biting apple sweetness--where the apple bites you. Yum. Edited by Shollin

For serious this is one of the most gorgeous, unique blends ever, with a fabulous label and a great name. It also smells exactly like you'd expect, in the best possible way. Chilly frozen hint of green apple, bright and cold. It is a beautiful wintery scent, and perversely it's great on really hot days. It's not ozoney on me, or aquatic really. It is more the truly cold/snow note I love in Snow White, Snow Angel and Snow Flakes and Snow Bunny (er, there's a theme there!)

I really am surprised it lasts as well as it does- a lot of the wintery scents dissipate quickly on me- but Snow Glass Apples doesn't. It also has decent throw too. More so than, say, Snow White. This is really everything awesome about BPAL in one bottle.

Snow, Glass, Apples really probably shouldn't work on me, considering "thin" apple scents don't, but this one seems to be a rule-breaker for a lot of people.

It's so cool, playful, and clean. Slightly effervescent and champagney, with that distinctive BPAL "slush" note-- but the slush also has a bit of pale, subtle muskiness in it. The apple note is light and crystalline, and not at all fake air-freshener apple.

It does fade really quickly, even with a liberal application, but it's lovely while it's around.

In Soviet Russia, apple bites you. SGA is tart, green apples frozen by winter's chill. There's a soft, sinister muskiness underneath, but predominantly I get the lovely BPAL snow note that I adore.

An accurate description! This is lovely, if you like snow and apples, and I do :wub2: Cold apple cider on a snowy day...sharp and biting, perhaps like broken glass; it's lovely.

To me, this smells like someone stuck a sprig of mint into a bottle of Poisoned Apple. On my skin, a coldness emerges. Then a faint floral scent, though it's still firmly grounded in apple. Then...it fades almost completely away.

This actually lasts a really long time on me, and has great throw! It's ozone-y apples. I only get mint from this blend when I sniff it out of the bottle. There might also be white musk here, but I'm not sure. It's very perfume-y, but in a good way. It smells...posh. :lol: I'm really loving the combo of ozone and apple! Need to hunt down more blends like this...

I'm surprised I haven't reviewed this yet as its one of my favourite winter scents and I've loved it since it came out. This is a mix of tart green apple, a mint note that feels like a breath of cold air, and a gorgeous icy soft musk. I keep hoping that this will come back some day as my bottle is getting dangerously low.

On: Cool apples with a bit of a blossom undertone.
3 hours in: A pretty apple scent, still with a hint of something floral.
6 hours in: I can just barely get a hint of something slightly powdery and sweet on my skin.
Overall: This doesn't last on me at all.

In vial: This is the best apple I've ever smelled! My stomach actually growled when I opened the vial. I'll say it again- best apple ever.

Wet: Firm, smooth, tart apple skin. Delicious.

Dry: I am starting to get little shivers from the coolness that emerges- the snow note is light and minty, and the sweet sharpness of glass underneath is beautiful.

Verdict: My skin doesn't know whether to flush with pleasure or admit goosebumps... I am so glad I obtained an imp. It will be mine to the last drop!

ETA: Oh yeah, and (nobody kill me for saying this) I kind of get Stephenie Meyer's Twilight vibes from this too. Maybe it's just the cover art and thinking about icy, sparkly vamps... ;)

Edited by anyseka

Snow Glass Apples isn't something I'd usually go for but I had the chance to try it, and it's just a crisp, clear green apple scent with something that goes horribly wrong on my skin. ozone/aquatic scents always turn into dryer sheets, so that's not a surprise. I really liked the crisp apple scent but it's not something I'd wear with or without the laundry-smell.

This is definitely the best apple scent I've smelled from BPAL yet! Snow, Glass, Apples smells like green apples with mint and the Lab's snow note. The snow note usually goes soapy on me, as it did in Winter-time, but it behaves itself for the most part and never actually crosses the line into soap. This is just a crisp, cold apple blend and I love it. :wub2:

DAMN IT. I think this is the first really rare scent that I've fallen in love with. Okay, guys, I definitely see what all the fuss is about. This is absolutely gorgeous, though on me it does not actually smell like apples---it smells like I just sliced open a watermelon. Either way, it's absolutely a cool, fruity (but not at all artificial) scent and I'm terrified about the ends to which I'm going to go to hunt down more. :lol:

Neil Gaiman summed this one up.... "sexy vampire apples". My DD has claimed this scent as her signature scent (she is 14), and we share my single bottle lovingly.

in bottle: A rather astringent, freshly-cut green apple, with other, unidentifiable notes. Strong throw.

wet: Basically same as in bottle, but a bit more floral.

drydown: Eventually becomes VERY nice.

verdict: I'm too impatient to wait around for this to get to the good stage, and as for apple scents, I prefer my bottle of Eve v.5 anyway. So I'll be swapping this one for something else.

I have had this bottle since 2008 when I ordered it along with the beautiful chapbook. I was so, so excited about this fragrance because I loved the story it's based on and I love apple scents.

...Then I got it and was bowled over by the "cold" notes in the blend. It was all snow and glass and no apples, and I was so disappointed. I thought about swapping the bottle away, but couldn't bring myself to do it. It sat on my shelf and I never so much as opened it again.

Now I'm returning from a very long BPAL hiatus that involved getting off of birth control and having a baby. I'm retrying all of my smellies to see what works and what needs to go in the swap bucket. I don't know if it's that the oil has aged or if it's my change in body chemistry, but this is amazing on me now.

It doesn't morph much from the time I put it on. It's an incredibly beautiful apple, cold and not really foody. Finally, sexy vampire apples can be mine, too! :D

So glad I didn't swap this one.

EDITED TO ADD:

The throw on this is great while it lasts, but it fades to almost nothing in 2 or 3 hours. Still, it's so lovely while it lasts. Maybe I'll just keep re-applying.

Edited by n3m3sis42

Finally, a bottle I've been chasing for ages! I adore this story, and I've wanted to get my hands on the oil for years now, it's just always been out of my price range, but I have FINALLY lucked into it!

In the bottle: Crisp apples with a dark undertone.

Wet on Skin: Sharp crisp apples and a bit of sweetness. Pretty strong on my skin. No blood or sex here, but nice!

Drydown: Apples in snow with a soft bit of white floral something to it. It dries further into a very soft, sweet snow which then fades into a sweet, soft apple.

Overall I think this is lovely, I am so pleased to have the book too, and I love that the bottle is cobalt! Dear skin chemistry, thank you for not ruining this like you ruined Lady Una.

Edited by The Poison Queen

If I never bought another BPAL scent again, I'd still die happy. I've been pining after this since it was first released and actually managed to find a full bottle just in time for my birthday this year. And it's perfect. Snow Glass Apples is one of my favourite Neil stories, and everything about this blend evokes it in the best possible way.

Everyone says it's green apples, but not to me - I get sweet, deep blood-red apples, dripping juice. The snow is there too, hard-packed, violet blue, and there's a hint of wind down a chilly stone corridor lingering around the top notes.

I loved The Hesperides and to some extent, this reminds me of the eventual drydown I got from that, but Snow, Glass, Apples is infinitely more delicate and lovely, and so utterly creepy for all it's sweetness. I replaced The Hesperides with Pomona in the end, and I'll still wear that as my everyday apple fragrance, but there's nothing that could ever top this for me. It's perfect, absolutely perfect. 10 out of 5!

I bought a very full imp of this from someone on the forum, and I'm glad I sprung for it. After a worrying track record with some of the scents I was hyping up, this is VERY satisfying. The mint note worried me at first, but the apple smells fantastic, and now it's dried down to a beautiful sweet musk. :D I'm so glad I got to try this!

ITB: Sweet apples! With a hint of mint, and perhaps a musk...?

Wet: Lots of BPAL's snow note! With apple below.

Dry: It's overly sweet red apples that somehow have the tart bite found in green apples (or maybe just a barrel of both), covered with snow. And the light musk is back, along with a sharp white floral way beneath (very much like glass). It's a cold sexy sweetness...if that makes any sense! :lol:

As it dries further, less bite to the apple and less snow, but amazing in a subtly different way! I'm still floored to have a bottle! :thud:

Truly sexy vampire apples. :thud:

Delicious and sultry, yet cold as ice. Crisp apple, minty, but vaguely musky. Just lovely. I'm not sure I'd drop $150 if it popped up on Ebay, but it is, truly, rather lovely.

Wow, this is a perfectly balanced blend of the lab's crystalline note, their soft snow, and apple - a not quite red one, but not green either. The snow note eventually takes prominence on me and it reminds me a bit of Snow White without being as cloying.

I was lucky to be able to join a SDCC group order for the prototype back in 2013, but I had never smelled the original… until a very generous forumite frimped me a decant! :wub2: I decided to apply the prototype to one wrist and the released version to the other in order to compare the two.

In the decant: I’m getting something waxy along with green apple that’s backed by some ozonic snow.

Wet: The waxiness is present on my skin, and I wonder if it is supposed to be a lipstick note? I get that waxy quality, the green apple, and then the minty, pine-y, ozonic snow. As it sits on my skin, the waxiness calms down somewhat, and the green apple and snow note become stronger. I get more pine from the snow than I do from the Snow Glass Apples v4 prototype, and the prototype is also sweeter. This makes me think of red lipstick smeared on a green apple that’s been bitten into and left in a snowy, pine forest.

Dry: This is a musky, snowy, green apple scent. There is a glass-y quality to this. The pine part of the snow note is a lot fainter now, which allows me to smell more of the apple than before.

Verdict: I am so glad that I was able to try this and compare it to the prototype I have! The prototype is sweeter, stronger on the apple, and longer lasting, but I think the final version fits its name and description perfectly. I am not going to try hunt down more of this, but I will definitely cherish the decant. :D