Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
any_old_actress

Kweku Anansi

Vetiver, dusty pepper, nutmeg, thyme and grass over a deep, mossy wooden core.

At first, the vetiver is most apparent with its dark, woody smokiness. It fades when it dries to leave a light pepper scent over a mossy, grassy background. Although it's a bit spicy, it doesn't feel heavy to me. I'll have to test it, but it may even work in hot weather.

I hope that this is released; I would definitely like some lighter earthy scents.

I adore Kweku Anasi...passionately.

I agree that it has a masculine edge, but to me, it just smells sexy. I found that in the beginning, the smell reminded me of a hamster's cage (nice imagery...sorry), but it mellowed out quickly and morphed into something warm and sensual.

Got this in a swap.

In the imp it smelled very sharp and sort of gave me a bit of a headache, but on me it mellowed out quite a bit. I smell grasses and pepper predominately. I'm not getting the darkness that some are describing. To me this would seem a very light, summery, dry smell. It's not unpleasant at all, in fact it's one fo the better blended oils I've tried in a long time and it's very very unique. It's just not something I'll wear myself.

To me it's not really masculine per se, but I definitely could see this being SEXY on a man. Too bad mine won't wear BPAL.

Edited by Stumbeline

Kweku Anansi

received as a freebie in my first order, about a year ago, and I am just now getting around to reviewing it

in vial: smells like hot sauce (this must be the STRONG pepper)

wet: strong pepper and thyme

dry: the same, very sharp with a slightly dusty spice cabinet feel...the scent stays a true pepper and thyme until about 5 hours later when the moss appears and softens it up a bit...overall, very long lasting (about 8 hours total)

verdict: I like what it does after about 5 hours, but I'm not willing to wait that long. The first five hours are not me, so this is off to swaps.

Kweku Anansi

In the imp: dark herbs and spices. Pepper is prominent, as is thyme.

Wet on skin: pepper! Lots of pepper, and also thyme, nutmeg, grass and moss.

Dry on skin: oooh, spicy! This is a definite nose-tingler! Pepper and nutmeg add a crackling warmth with green grass, thyme and vetiver. This is a lovely scent with something quite culinary about it, though the grass and moss stop this from becoming too much of a savoury food scent.

After a while: it still retains that warm pepper-nutmeg scent, but with more of the green earthy background coming through. Apart from that, it stays pretty consistent.

Verdict: this is an interesting mix of spice, herbs and greenery. Hot pepper and nutmeg with an almost savoury thyme make this scent somewhat foody in a savoury way, but the grass, vetiver and moss in the background adds a contrast to this scent. It's quite sharp, very spicy, dark and earthy. It's also quite a masculine scent, but I do enjoy it, and may keep the imp.

I hated this scent and it does linger forever on you and in the room where the vial is opened. This scent was awful.

Kweku Anansi:

Wet: smoke, ashes, resin? Very dark, moderately earthy.

Drydown: Aha - it's vetiver. Just barely there, but it's there.

Longterm wear: this is a very masculine scent, and it's far too earthy and heavy for this foody-scent-lovin' girl.

Origin - gift imp from the lab

Wet - grass and vetiver. It makes me think of the African plains.

Dry - The pepper and nutmeg combine with the vetiver, making a dry, spicy brown scent. It smells of high, dry grasses blowing in the breeze. This is something I would probably never wear, but I like it much more than I expected to.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3.

obtained from a fellow forumite for a reasonable price. thanks! i've been dying to try this one!

in the vial: whoa! this is much more green than i expected. it smells like dark grass to me -- not bright green grass, but thicker and tougher grass, not quite dry, there's some sap, but dry-ish and dark, maybe with the tips browned. and spice.

on me: it's like a dryer and pepperier Whipporwill, but without the Irish Spring part! i wouldn't say that this is "masculine", but i wouldn't say that it's "feminine" either. i think this is extremly gender neutral.

i would love to wear this to work. it's structured and forceful, without being overwhelming -- not "forceful",... "firm" yes. it's a structured and firm scent, severe, with a secret sense of humor.

as it dries further, i get the faintest whiff of dusty rawhide. maybe that's what people meant by "dusty grasses"?

warning: the skin where i applied it tingles a bit. not for the sensitive skinned.

i'm really glad i got to try this!

ETA: this just gets better and better. now it smells like a combination of a sunwarmed saddle and the old straw hat i used to wear riding. i LOVE this. i really hope it gets realeased. this would be great to wear on those days i'm nostalgic for my days of riding -- western! NOT english! oh yes!

n.

Edited by zenvodunista

Oh Beth! How you surprise me with the frimps! I will admit to being absolutely in love with the excolo scents, and nearly all of them are delightful on me. I was so excited to see this one in my order, as I love the anansi tales.

So this one, on such a crisp fall day, just makes me happy happy.

sniffing the imp - its acidic, acrid smoke...

on my skin....fall liqufied, walking down the sidewalk with dry crackling leaves underfoot, something organic and green peeking through - moss? And then, oh, its a bonfire on a clear fullmoon night, smelling heavily of smoke and thyme.

I truly adore this scent, would love to buy a bottle, and its just a divine fall scent.

Imp: Spicy and green. This is lovely in the imp.

Me:

Wet: Green citrus? Smells tart like a citrus. Incredibly fresh, and tickles my nose oh so wonderfully.

Drying: The spicier notes start to come out. There is something very deep and dusky in this, but then there is a light green herbal almost citrus note too. It’s an intriguing blend. It's like being in the deep dark woods in an oasis where the sun shines through to the smaller foliage. This is so wonderfully earthy. It definitely is a masculine type feel, but wow, I feel like I'm hiking in this, so I really like it even for me. It seems clean, natural and fresh to me, even though it's definitely a darker blend.

On him: This is wonderfully dark and spicy and earthy still with that green freshness, similar to on me, but somehow even more masculine.

Overall: I love this on us both, and wish it would be released, already! Hehe. It would be a great fall scent for either of us.

In the imp: Spicy, herbal, grassy. Sharp vetiver note right out in front.

On, wet: The vetiver calms down a bit; the spicy-grassy notes are stronger. It's a hot, African savannah scent. There's a slight tartness, like citrus fruit, although that doesn't seem to last very long.

Drydown: Still spicy-grassy, with a little extra sweetness from somewhere (the nutmeg?).

This is a totally delicious scent, beautifully evocative of Anansi and his home. (Heh; it so happens that I'm reading Anansi Boys right now.) I really like it.

I had no idea this was a pre release! lol.

I like this scent, although I wouldnt wear it myself....at the moment.

<p>In the vial I found ti to be very very dark, and heavily woody, in a wet sort of way, with perhaps the slightest hint of herbs.

<p>On the skin, the black pepper is coming through very strongly, and smells lovely!

It's a very strong scent, I only have the merest drop on and I can smell it very clearly - I can imagine it being easy to overdose on this scent f you're not careful.

<p>To my disappointment, as the scent warms the black pepper is becomming more of a background note to the herbs - it's becomming quite "green" although the pepper is stil strong enough to give it some grounding.

<p>I will be very interested to see how this scent progresses.

I acquired an imp of this randomly, sniffed the wand, said, I'll never wear that, and stuck it in my box. Turns out it leaked. I thought I was going to be quite unhappy, but then this thing happened, and I sniffed the box, and WOW! I want more of this so I can finish wood with it. It amazing. My box smells gorgeous, though the imps did have to permenantly evacuate, and I acutally smelled like how the workshop smells when you're sawing really quality wood. I need more, like a gallon or two.

Edited by kiio

dark smokey lemon and peppery :P

this one is so fun and like nothing i have

ever smelled before...it warms up after 10

minutes or so....i get a creamy, butter lemon....

with the tiniest hint of sharpness.....sassafrass, i think....

i'd buy this if the lab ever decided to release....yessirree :D

On my skin, the vetiver and pepper is dominant. I could swear there's leather up in the blend as well. This one is too masculine for my tastes. It sends me on an aroma journey back to New Hampshire when I worked at a hole on the wall sports bar as a waitress. Kweku Anansi is the scent of the bikers I would wait on - dark woods, leather and man musk. :P

Edited by nancybridget

part of the unreleased sniffing circle...

In the Imp: Yum! Herbal & spicy.

On the Skin: Still a spicy herbal and the vetivert comes out. Man, this is amazing! There’s a touch of citrus there and moss. As I wear it, the citrus becomes stronger yet melds beautifully with the spice, moss and vetivert. This scent makes me think of the woods in the Pacific Northwest or Southeast Alaska – lush, moist, mossy, yet dark and cool. In some ways, it reminds me of Torture King without the leather or bourbon. It has that same citrus - spice - vetivert vibe.

Overall: I have to agree that this is truly a gender neutral scent. It is very clean and crisp – it would smell amazing on a man yet still smells wonderfully on a woman. This is the scent I was dying to try and I’m so glad that I had the chance. It’s fabulous! :P

Kweku Anansi - My very first impression is that there is a LOT of vetiver in this blend. It's incredibly dark, thick, heavy, and husky. It is smoky in a way that reminds me of Brimstone (without the sulphur) and also has a touch of woods in it that may possibly be cedar. After it's been on my skin for about 30 minutes, I start to detect just the slightest hint of sweetness behind the thick, black vetiver, and I wonder if a drop of dark berry has been included in this blend. Despite being thick, heavy, and black, this isn't a sinister scent in the least. I think I might try layering it with a berry blend like Glasgow to deepen and darken it. I don't think I could pull off wearing this blend on its own, as it's just way too heavy and masculine for me. But it is beautiful in it's own peculiar way. The staying power is about 4 hours and throw is light to moderate.

In Bottle: Woody spice

On Skin: This is a very heavily woody scent. I also smell spices, the pepper and nutmeg and something minty... yes the thyme. It’s a very dark and sinister scent. It also has a slightly sour note. It isn’t really working on me and as the scent progresses, the dreaded vetiver makes itself known. Vetiver and I are mortal enemies. It gives the scent a bit of a feral edge making it even more outdoorsy and wild. I never do smell a grass note sadly, I wish it would come forth because I think it would freshen the scent up a bit. After about 20 minutes it calms down and is actually warming up to me. It’s so complex! It does seem quite masculine though and nothing I would find myself wearing. But it sure was fun reviewing! Strong throw and long wearlength.

Dusty pepper is an excellent description. Dusty pepper and the herbs and darkly mossy, with a base of vetiver. Not getting any woods. It's a fascinating scent. Like Wolfsbane, I'm not sure I'll wear it as a perfume, but it's very effective at setting a mood. It is strong and dark and ash and... earth without the BPAL "dirt" note. Deep earth and dust. I do quite like it.

It's Howdy Kweku Thyme, it's Howdy Kweku Thyme.

I definitely get the vetiver, and maybe the saltiness comes from the pepper, but the thyme is stealing the show here. Glad I got to try it, Kweku is really interesting because of the way the notes interact.

This is certainly one of the more interesting scents I've tried so far. I can smell every note separately when I first apply it.

After about 15 min. it's pepper. Just dusty pepper and wood. And I don't hate the smell. It's kinda fun actually to smell like pepper and not be sneezing my head off. But it's too odd. Happy to have had the chance to try this, but I'm sure someone will love it more than I.

Kweku Anansi is smooth, clean, and slightly sweet. I smell a hint of citrus, but the other notes aren't jumping out and asserting themselves. This would work very well on a man or a woman, I think.

I'm very grateful to the forumite who sent me a frimp of this, and I believe I will pass it along so others may try it. I'd certainly consider a purchase of this if it ever became available in the GC.