Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
any_old_actress

Kathmandu

The scent of sacred incense swirling up the steep slopes to Swayambhunath Stupa. Saffron, blessed sandalwood, Himalayan cedar and the miraculous lotus of the Buddha with chiuri bark and Nepalese spices.

Earlier this evening I found some scrap paper on which I wrote a jumble of words about Kathmandu and Dirty. I noticed I didn't write the review for Kathmandu (though I did for Dirty) so what follows is my rather belated review.

Hello, cedar, hello...

Aside from the dark cedar, which at first sniff I mistake for patchouli, there is the smell of.... toothpaste? At the time of this first encounter with Kathmandu, I had never had such a cedarmint combination before. In my notes, I wrote, "I'm shocked, yet intrigued."

The mint inevitably overpowers the cedar, and there's the smell of something tea-like in the background.

Since my first trial with Kathmandu, it's not one I really find myself reaching for often, although at this time I'm still holding onto my imp. This is probably not something I'm going to be getting a bigger bottle of, though.

-doreen

Kathmandu is very cedary on me when wet, and as it dries the lotus comes forward. I love the balance of the lotus and cedar, but lotus scents almost always fade on me quite quickly. I never really got the incense notes. After the first hour, I could detect only the faintest hint of Kathmandu. I like this one a lot, but wish it had more staying power.

Fresh cedar, with a wintergreen mint tinge (lotus?) and spiciness. I get the impression of a meditation spot deep in the woods on a crisp winter morning. Incredibly evocative and beautiful :P

Very strong cedar in the imp, and when wet on me. After about 5 minutes the lotus comes through, but it doesn't stay long and eventually I just get a nice, incensey blend of cedar and sandalwood. It reminds me of a forest.

I really like the smell of this one, but not sure if it'll be one I'll wear often. It also doesn't last long on me.

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a word or two: Sandalwood.

In the imp/bottle: Spicy, rich cedar atop a thick sandalwood.

On skin, wet: There's something here I've never come across, beneath the sandalwood and cedar. It's something spicy, but definitely a note of its own. The lotus, maybe? It's very tricky, but quite pleasant.

On skin, dry: I actually really like this one. It stays very warm and spicy, and, if it had vanilla, would probably be what I thought Snake Oil would smell like.

Conclusion: This would be great for incense, or scenting little things. I probably wouldn't scent myself or a room with it, as sandalwood after a while gives me a headache, but in small doses, I like this quite a bit.

Edited by Aredhel

In the Bottle or Imp:

Smells very cedar to me. Definitely potently so. I kinda smell hamster cage. :P

Wet, on Skin:

Definitely astringent, sharp and dry cedarwood. Perhaps some other dry dusty woods like sandalwood and maybe a hint of vetiver, grassy but mostly just a giant screamin' cedar note.

Drying Down:

Maybe some amber, sweeter resins. Cedar's still there but it's diminished somewhat. A very powdery, saffron-yellow aroma.

Over Time:

1 hour: Sweet saffron with a hint of cedar.

Beyond: Just a faint lingering skin-sweetness, a memory of cedar's bite.

Final Verdict?

Not bad, but it's too much at first and fades away quite quickly. May be good for a homescent, or perhaps an 'intent' oil, but not really a good fragrance on me.

Wet on me this is pure, strong cedar and it stays that way for pretty much the duration. As it fades it does get smokier and spicier though. The smoke is the kind you get from burning green wood and the spice is a kind of mulled wine spice, both of which just sit in the background, making the cedar more mellow. This isn't for me, but I think my mum will like it.

Edited by Ajila

Kathmandu

Right out of the gate - sweet mentholated cough drops with exotic, spicy wood under that, and cinnamon.

I can't figure out what's giving it the mentholated quality.

1/2 hour later - whoa - what's this? Salty crackerjacks. Very salty.

I'm hungry now, but I'm still not sure what to make of the scent.

1 hour later - still salty crackerjacks. Ah well. It's a new twist on foody scents.

I'm inclined to give this another try on a different day, partly because it doesn't actually smell bad on me, just odd - but mostly because I loved Lixolux's review so much and I want to hang out in a yurt in Yunnan Province, drinking buttered tea and burning incense to Kuan Yin. :P

Hm. Kathmandu was an odd experience for me. I expected it to last longer, since the cedar was so strong and potent initially. I didn't expect this to smell kind of minty (didn't read reviews before trying). Minty cedar, I now know, is not really my thing.

Cedar just doesn't seem to agree with me. It either reminds me of BBQ or smells dry and dusty. It smells sort of dusty in Kathmandu.

It's all gone within an hour though. This is one for my swap pile.

kathmandu.jpg

This one was very light and not too distinct on me. I could smell some kind of spice in there but it was so fugitive that it is very difficult for me to give a proper review of this scent. The ingredients sound marvelous, but I think my skin ate them. Kathmandu is best reserved for those whose skins will allow it to exist.

The three primary notes are saffron (high), cedar (medium), and sandalwood (low). Oddly, the saffron in combination with the depth of the sandalwood, and the light woody cedar scent takes on an acidic, citrusy, sweet note that I first described as "Coca-Cola" (husband said Dr. Pepper). Other posters are right--there's a little mintiness, which at very first reminds me of toothpaste. (Mint is also a component of root beer, which explains the soda sensation.) The cedar is very background to me, only noticeable on its own as a slight woodiness, and similarly the saffron blends in very well with the other notes. I didn't know what lotus was like, but now that I've read it's sweet, I can detect it as a fourth major component of this combination.

As Kathmandu dries down, the saffron wears off and mostly the sandalwood comes through, with a shade more cedar and woodiness--now I wonder if the cedar is the source of the "minty" smell, or cedar in combination with lotus anyway. (I'm thinking Himalayan cedar probably differs from American cedars, so maybe it's a little minty.) There's a slight hint of other exotic items (the bark and spices) but I cannot pick them out.

I liked how different and exotic this smelled, completely unlike anything else. On the other hand, I'm sort of ambivalent about that odd exotic cedary toothpasty note, which wears off fairly quickly and then is less exciting (more just plain sandalwood at the end); it doesn't have much throw/scent after the first hour or two. I think I will use it occasionally, and it may grow on me. On my scale, 3.5 out of 5.

Edited by Undine

In the bottle: A very alcohol smelling blend, and I mean perfumer's alcohol here. It's definitely everything I'd expect in an eastern incense.

First on: Mostly cedar now, with some saffron. It's like those natural incense blocks that have chunks of wood in them.

Drydown: Ok, it's all cedar. I would love for a man to wear this. I might have to keep it so when I find a man, I can douse him in it. It's a bit too woodsy for me to wear and not seem too masculine, but I definitely love it. It's like a fireplace fire made of cedar smell.

Edited by dreadeddragon

A quick review, since I just dabbed this on before swapping it away.

On me, the incense became dirt, which I didn't like very much. There was also a horrid, strange undertone of spearmint, almost like toothpaste.

That lasted for about twenty minutes before turning into something spicy/woody, but it was a very subdued and uninteresting scent. I couldn't really pick any individual spice or wood notes out, and it just sort of felt brown. Not nutty like Hamadryad, or piney like Dublin, just...flat cinnamon wood. Not a scent that really snapped or sparkled on me.

Edited by sophia_helix

In the imp it was very cedar-y, warm and full of spice. Wet on my skin it took a spicy root beer mixed with mint. On the dry down it was was very nice, a smokey cinnamon.

This would make a wonderful room scent in the winter. It's instantly warming and inviting.

The incense, spice and woods are amazing together in this oil. I think it might contain something that Tarot: Wheel of Fortune and Serpent's Kiss also have, but it's a mystery to me what that is. Loving it, though.

Anything with cedar in it I automaticy love. :P The cedar immediaty pushes it's way to the front of the line and overpowers all of the other notes. It's slighty sweet, slightly spicy, but mostly cedar.

The dry down is ALL cedar on me, and I love it. There are other cedar scents I like better than this one, but Kathmandu is definilty up there on my favorites list ^^

Cedar...whoa...yeah. Potent. Moth stopping.

Drying down, the woods get more complex and their wounded bark scabs over.

There is a sacred scent of exotic blooms and spices...

I didn't think this one would agree with me...but I like it.

DH took it for himself. Maybe he'll share.

In the bottle:

Stinky gym socks :P

On me:

Ugh. This is awful on me. Just plain awful. The cedar definitely comes through, but the lotus and incense and spice notes combine with it to make an odd smell that reminds me of dirty socks. Or an old closet with mothballs.

Final note:

Not for me at all. I dislike cedar a great deal though, it never works on me, so this probably works fine on a lot of other people.

In the bottle: Ew. Noxious pine-mint toothpaste. Am not tempted to apply it, but do anyway.

Wet: Pine-mint toothpaste and cedar. Quickly becoming cedar.

Drydown: Cedar is taking over and is being softened by sandalwood. It's soothing and not sharp to my nose now. Oh, wow. That sandalwood is really coming out. It's like being in the middle of a cedar forest while someone is performing a particularly fragrant ritual or prayer very nearby. So peaceful.

Overall: Stinky bottle becomes heavenly on skin. Who knew. This is bottle-worthy. And the clearest example I have yet seen of why you must try on even the most offensive oils and see how your skin responds.

In the imp: cedar and sandalwood, with a slightly spicy edge. Something about it reminds me of Centzon Totochtin without the wine, chocolate, and blood notes.

On, wet: Sandalwood-y, resin-y goodness.

Drydown: the floral aspects become a little more obvious, but it's primarily about the woods. Sweet and rich. The cedar gets stronger as it dries. It's a little like Magus now, only less incense-y, and without the beeswax note that I got from Magus.

Really nice, complex scent, if you like wood scents -- fortunately I do.

Imp: sharp, medicinal, reminding me a little of horehound drops.

Wet: ahh, the barks are starting to come out.

Drydown: I can smell the saffron now, and the layers of spices. I'm getting a little front-of-the-head ache, and yet, it's otherwise pleasant enough that I actively want to not wash it off.

Worn: it feels very much like its inspiration, with good throw, and is exotic yet somehow even... pretty. The headache is fading, at least, as long as I don't put my nose right up to my wrists. It settles into a pleasantly clean, more unified blend, and really does feel like incense outside as opposed to incense left to smolder in a small, cramped room. It lasts about three hours on my skin.

Conclusion: Kathmandu is definitely a different addition to my 'library' and, in addition to wearing it, I think it would be good to scent linens. I also want to try a Celebrity Deathmatch between it, All Saint's, Midnight Mass, and possibly Cathedral, although that might not be quite fair given that the others have more similar origins.

It's starting to look as though lotus is another note that drowns out anything else on me. All I get from this is a slightly sweet floral -- no spices, no woods. It's not an obnoxious floral by any means, but it's definitely Not Me. In the very last stages of the fade-down, some of the spices finally put in an appearance, but by that time it's much too late. Another candidate for the swap pile.

Wow, this scent smells ancient, and sacred. And it's totally not me.

I definitely smell smoke--smoke and dry woods. It's unique and sultry. If you're going for mysterious, try this scent.

hmmmmmmm. the artistry in this blend is, once again, nothing short of amazing. alchemy, indeed!

first sniff on my wrist is bright spearmint. feet crushing it as they walk upon it.

next stage is warm, spicy, fresh cedar. i love cedar.

final note is sweet, almost bubblegummy. this must be the lotus, although i'm not familiar with it, so i truly can not say.

i never got any of the bitterness that i associate with saffron.

it's a piece of art, this fragrance.

and it is not for me.

In Bottle: Strong woods and spices.

On Skin: Straight off, this is NOT me. The woods are so strong they’re almost medicinal. Smoky and spicy, it is just too much at once. I usually love sandalwood but mixed with the incense and spices it just gets muddy and murky. Not my kind of scent, sorry. Someone looking for an exotic woody scent should try this one out…