Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
imaginepageant

Cake, cookies, donuts, baked goods, even Cinnabon

Lyonesse smelled like cake to me. Not quite sure why, though...

Cockaigne does smell like cakey death, however, at least in the bottle. :P

YESYES! Lyonesse is all vanilla frosted cupcakes with a backdrop of amber on me.

I'm looking desperately for the perfect foody scent. But not just any foody sent.

Specifically, bread. A sweet, rich bread, like a brioche. Like a brioche with cream on top and a savory filling. Not that I want to smell like bacon and onions, mind, but something other than your classic fruits such as currant, cherry, strawberry, etc.

I don't want this scent to be the smell of fruit or chocolate or sugar so much as bread, cream, vanilla. The smell of cinnamon rolls rising on the counter. Brown sugar, dough, maybe fig or dates...

But!!

I also want to capture the smell of buttercream. This is a separate desire from the above. So I'm looking for 2 different bakery scents. One rich and savory and bready, the other, purest buttercream.

Help?

(I have bottles of Chanukkiyah and Love's Philosophy on the way. Never tried, but hoping they might work. So I'm looking for suggestions outside of these two.)

Thanks y'all!

I'm very surpised Chimera is nowhere in this thread! Chimera is EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT! :P

I know this isn't a doughnut or bread smell, but Knave of Hearts smells like a Razzleberry Pie on my wrist. Really. It's buttery, with some cinnamon, and blackberries and raspberries. I really, really, really want to bathe in it. Also, the roses aren't really that noticeable, but they help to 'temper' the scent, if you know what I mean. (If you *don't* know, it means that it's not so foody that you couldn't wear it. It's a completely wearable foody scent.) A word of warning, though: it doesn't layer nicely, at least on me. I had some Port Royal on, and several hours later, putting KoH on made it really, really rose-like. But other than that, I CAN HAZ GALLON NAO? (Sorry for the lolspeak.)

Also, after reading this, I'm definitely going to try Cockaigne (don't know how I missed it!) and Dana O'Shee. Also, running home to try my Lyonesse imp!

Hope this was helpful!

My local mall just opened a Cinnabon kiosk. I remember this from malls elsewhere I have lived and the thing that intrigues me is that it smells unbelievably good but does not really smell like food to me. I don't know if it is the mall atmosphere or something going on with the Cinnabon goods themselves but it always actually smells like a fragrance to me and like there is a bit of a musk base to it or something. It is a deeply sexy smell to me that makes me want to slink around all feral like while smelling it but does not so much make me want to eat their product.

Is there a BPAL fragrance anyone can think of that will be the smell of Cinnabon? Not cinnamon or candy but Cinnabon musk?

I get straight up cinnamon bun from Chimera. It's thickly sweet and cinnamony but I also get a touch of something thicker at the bottom, rich and almost musky. I think it may be the copal.

So yeah, Chimera all the way for the cinnabons themselves.

However, it give me really bad cravings for cinnamon buns, so I'm not sure if it has that feral slinky thing going on, but it is a dead ringer for cinnamon buns.

What about Bengal (skin musk with honey, peppers, clove, cinnamon & ginger)?

I definitely get cinnamon & musk from it but the other spices are present, too - many people think it smells like chai tea.

Pickled Imp is also very cinnamony but not as sweet as you might expect. Maybe you could layer it with something musky?

I recommend Mr. Jacquel and Blood Moon (the older one, from 2005 I think?), but both might be harder to find decants of. From the general catalogue, maybe Sin, Blood, Blood Amber, or even The Lion. Amber has a spicy kick sometimes that reminds me of cinnamon, especially in The Lion. And the lab's dragon's blood note has been described as slightly spicy but also floral to some people, so that one may vary.

I was a rabid Cinnabon fan during the six years I lived in the US. Still miss it.

So believe me when I say that the most Cinnabon-y of all BPAL scents is, by far, Chimera.

Edited by Mrs.Black

I agree about Shub. It is the sexiest spicy baked goods I have ever smelled. There is something there that keeps it from being too foody and definitely makes me feel slinky and exotic (and edible :P ).

First of all? Cinnabon musk made me roffle.

I recommend Mr. Jacquel and Blood Moon (the older one, from 2005 I think?), but both might be harder to find decants of. From the general catalogue, maybe Sin, Blood, Blood Amber, or even The Lion. Amber has a spicy kick sometimes that reminds me of cinnamon, especially in The Lion. And the lab's dragon's blood note has been described as slightly spicy but also floral to some people, so that one may vary.

Oh man, you're right! Blood Moon '05 would definitely fit into the musky cinnamon category, but it's not a sweet scent. If you don't mind the lack of sugariness, I think the old Blood Moon might be your best bet.

Barring that, I would also suggest Chimera as the closest match to the scent you seek.

I would suggest that if you try Chimera, don't get an aged bottle. For some reason the spice seems to completely disappear.

Huh. I go the other way, and far prefer aged - it's deeper and more rounded. It's not so much less spicy as more of the other notes, so it's more balanced.

My bottle of Chimera must be aged -- it smells exactly like Snake Oil to me. I had to do a side by side comparison and I couldn't tell the difference.

CHIMERA.

I assume you are already planning on trying this.

If it's not musky enough, just layer it with a bit of musk and voila, you'll be alllll set!

I just love all the recommendations. It is one of my favorite parts of the forum. Thanks for all the ideas. I will definitely try Chimera. Also intrigued by Mr Jaquel and The Lion. I was already planning on Shub. Lovecraft is pretty much a part of my reality. Again, thank you!

If you're still looking for that musk component; give Anactoria a try. I wore it today and one of my coworkers asked if I brought cinnamon rolls to work.

There's no cinnamon in it; but it does have a certain baked goods vibe along with the yummy musk:

Anactoria: Golden amber, white honey, red currant, daemonorops, kush, and Arabian musk.

I would totally wear a scent called Cinnabon musk! :P Musk + spices = LOVE!

Chimera, as everyone has said, is definitely well worth picking up and will probably be your new best friend. No musk as such, but it has myrrh and copal, both of which are deep, rich resins, which have a similar grounding effect on the scent. It's got a permanent place in my personal top ten. Likewise Shub -- another of my all-time favourites.

But I think the very most Cinnabon-like scent is Bengal -- the first time I tried it, I thought it smelled exactly like a Cinnabon shop. I think it's the combination of spices and honey.

You might also want to check out Sin -- it's got cinnamon layered over amber, sandalwood and patchouli. Not as fiercely spicy as Chimera or Bengal, but still very nice, and the way the other notes blend together, I would swear there was some kind of musk in it. It's also the scent I've found most likely to make even casual acquaintances come up and bury their faces in my neck, sniffing deeply. It's pretty much liquid sex. :D

Edited by Miss Lynx

But I think the very most Cinnabon-like scent is Bengal -- the first time I tried it, I thought it smelled exactly like a Cinnabon shop. I think it's the combination of spices and honey.

You might also want to check out Sin -- it's got cinnamon layered over amber, sandalwood and patchouli. Not as fiercely spicy as Chimera or Bengal, but still very nice, and the way the other notes blend together, I would swear there was some kind of musk in it. It's also the scent I've found most likely to make even casual acquaintances come up and bury their faces in my neck, sniffing deeply. It's pretty much liquid sex. :P

The scent of Cinnabon makes me queasy and I don't care for cinnamony blends, but I must second Miss Lynx's suggestions, especially Bengal. A lot of people compare Bengal to chai tea, but I did not find it chai-like at all. On me, it was cinnamon + vanilla + a powdery note (which is what some musks smell like on my skin).

Although not listed in the notes, Sin definitely contains red musk. So if you like scents like Snake Oil, Scherezade, and Vixen, you will probably love Sin.

You could also layer Chimera or Plunder with something musky... like maybe Sed Non Satiata or Haunted... maybe even Dorian or Snake Oil for their vanilla and musks.

Saw Scale Viper (from the Carnaval Diabolique) reminds me more of gingerbread than cinnamon rolls, but it is sweet and spicy and a bit musky and might fit the bill, too.

Definitely Chimera, as everyone else has said. I find it sickly and cloyingly sweet personally, but it totally puts me in mine of the almost-too-much smell of being too close to Cinnabon for too long, after you've already stuffed yourself with one. I think most people don't find it sickly or cloying at all, just me. It's one of my co-worker's favorite scents.

I'm a little hesitant to recommend this, because it's a TAL oil and should therefore only be used with intent, but Caliph's Beloved is a smoking hot cinnamon musk. So, you know, if you want to get your man (and yourself) all excited, CB is a tasty way to do it.

I'm a little hesitant to recommend this, because it's a TAL oil and should therefore be used with intent, but Caliph's Beloved is a smoking hot cinnamon musk. So, you know, if you want to get your man (and yourself) all excited, CB is a tasty way to do it.

Don't be hesitant, I fully understand that the Conjure Bag Oils and TAL products ought to be used with intent but it is great to know what that will smell like anyway. It happened to be on my TAL wishlist! Thanks!