Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
imaginepageant

Cake, cookies, donuts, baked goods, even Cinnabon

ETA: Might be worth a browsa through the Uber Foody Recs, too...

I'd definitely second tartchef's suggestion - the experts on the foodies have been in and out of that thread since its incarnation so you're likely to find some detailed discussion of many scents in there. If you want to search the thread for a term like cake or bread, go down to the bottom left of any given page and enter your term in the box below the last post, then click the Search Topic button beside it.

Of everything I have tried in the BPAL universe, I personally have never been struck by a dominant bready note nor a dominant buttercream note. This doesn't necessarily mean that the blends that you want don't exist, it just means you will have to try a lot of the cake, cookie, and sweet-creamy blends to find out if any of them are going to become what you want them to once they're on your skin. A lot of the foodier scents do have a bit of caramel in them and my chemistry amps caramel so much that I can't smell any of the other notes in the blend, so I don't consider myself the best guide to the foody blends. This caramel thing happened to me with Channikuyah - so there may be some good bakery notes in there that come out on your skin.

They are so hard to find that I almost hate to mention them, but the best and truest cake notes I've found in any BPAL blends are in Monster Bait: Closet and Monster Bait: Underbed. Midway has a bit of a cake-y element to it, but may be sweeter than the brioche that you're seeking.

Searching Reviews for mentions of the word "bread" in reviews, you will find these results, which can give you some ideas to add to your wishlist. (To replicate or to search for another term, put the term in the box on the search engine page, highlight the Reviews forum in the drop down menu, choose search title AND text, and display results as posts or topics, either can be helpful. These results are displayed as posts.)

Have fun searching and trying new scents - be sure to report back and let us know what you find.

(and on a moderator note, I may merge this thread into the big "foody" thread after you get some responses, just for the sake of forum tidiness.)

Of everything I have tried in the BPAL universe, I personally have never been struck by a dominant bready note nor a dominant buttercream note.

That's what I feared. I have searched extensively, and while I found a lot of "cake" or "cookie" connotations in reviews, I found very few reviews that speak of true, actual bread--even dessert breads. And most of the cake, sweet, sugar, dessert etc perfumes are *too* sweet--like Eat Me. So I was hoping to find help with very particular desire...

Ah well, I shall not give up! The search continues...

I remember trying Drink Me and thinking, "Huh. It really does smell a little bit like some really good toast. How strange."

Other than that, I've never found a yeasty-breadlike scent.

EDIT: Because there's a T in yeasty

Edited by cordia

I'm not sure if it's totally inappropriate to post this here, but the richest, most buttercream-y buttercream I've ever come across is at Heaven and Earth Essentials (the link is to the forum thread) - you can get a straight buttercream scent from them, or a lot of scents with a buttercream component.

ETA: HAEE's Samhain is Irish soda bread with apples, and people said it smelled very bready; someone also compared it to the Body Perfumery's Milk Bread scent. (Sorry, more not BPAL!)

Edited by Anna D.

I'm not sure if it's totally inappropriate to post this here, but the richest, most buttercream-y buttercream I've ever come across is at Heaven and Earth Essentials (the link is to the forum thread) - you can get a straight buttercream scent from them, or a lot of scents with a buttercream component.

ETA: HAEE's Samhain is Irish soda bread with apples, and people said it smelled very bready; someone also compared it to the Body Perfumery's Milk Bread scent. (Sorry, more not BPAL!)

I really appreciate that info. THank you!

For cinnamon rolls, aged Chimera is the thing. Om nom nom.

For bread, I don't think I've ever had any BPAL that smelled like bread. Hmm.

Edited by Christine Daae

I'm not sure if it's totally inappropriate to post this here, but the richest, most buttercream-y buttercream I've ever come across is at Heaven and Earth Essentials (the link is to the forum thread) - you can get a straight buttercream scent from them, or a lot of scents with a buttercream component. ...

Since Anna mentioned being unsure about whether it's appropriate to recommend non-BPAL perfumes in this section, I thought I'd clarify that for everyone - this is in no way an admonishment or an Anna-spanking, she's one of my favorites round these parts and she's always so helpful in her responses whether they're here in Recs, in Chatter, in FAQs, etc. *hugs Anna D.*

In general we discourage it, since this is a part of the BPAL-specific area of the forum (I posted about it here about a year ago) - the rationale being that if someone's looking for general scent recs that smell like X,Y, or Z we have Retail Therapy for that so we can reserve this section for BPAL discussion. If every thread was a free-for-all discussion of any and all perfumes that fit the original poster's likes/dislikes/requests, I don't think this subforum would be nearly as useful to BPAL fans who are using it for its intended purpose. The size that the forum has grown to also influenced that decision - now that we have nearly 10,000 members we naturally have many more threads being started, many more posts on a daily basis, and keeping things as organized as possible from the start is much easier than trying to sort things out by splitting threads, merging threads and such. You can read a little more about it in my post in the link above.

In this particular case, we all seemed to be reaching conclusion that Persephanise probably isn't going to find a bread or buttercream BPAL blend - so it made sense for Anna to suggest some favorites she's found elsewhere, and that's cool. If I was seeing posts in "The Best BPAL Vanilla" listing off all of someone's favorite etailer vanillas, that would be another thing; I also don't think it's necessary to steer folks to etailer dupes when they're asking about BPALs that are similar to a favorite perfume. In any case it isn't something that I am going to smite someone for - it really falls under the "good manners" banner to me. And I'm always available by PM if you want to talk about this or anything else going on in Recs.

Alright, enough forum stuff, let's get back to talking about perfume. :P

Pumpkin Patch #4 from 2005 & 2006 (pumpkin, sandalwood & orris) is a nice slightly spicy scent that has a bit of a yeasty component to it according to my nose. I find it very comforting & it definitely fits into the baked goods category without being sickly sweet (unless you slather) :P It's not that rare, so you should be able to find some on the swaps page.

I think as for the "yeasty" one it might be beneficial to search for something like beer as a note, or some other variation of yeast.

I have an LE rec for cinnamon rolls though. Enraged Groundhog Musk is just like cinnamon rolls to me, not on my skin, but in a scent locket.

The Milk Moons might be of interest as well.

This might be a bit of a stretch, but Blood Moon came to mind for the 'bread scent, even though you said you can't do musks. Blood Moon's description: "... The feral scent of the heat of the chase, deep woods, undulating musks, brushed by forest herbs, crushed grains, and touched by blood-dimmed lunar oils." To me it's a dry and spicy scent with cinnamon and/or cassia, that stops just short of foody, but the 'crushed grains' give it just a touch of foodiness to my nose. Definitely not sweet or cakey, though. Might be worth tracking down a decant or sniffy.

I totally second Monsterbait: Closet for the buttercream scent. Yummy stuff!

I'm not sure if it's totally inappropriate to post this here, but the richest, most buttercream-y buttercream I've ever come across is at Heaven and Earth Essentials (the link is to the forum thread) - you can get a straight buttercream scent from them, or a lot of scents with a buttercream component. ...

Since Anna mentioned being unsure about whether it's appropriate to recommend non-BPAL perfumes in this section, I thought I'd clarify that for everyone

Thanks so much for clearing that up! It makes total sense. :P

y'all are so sweet! Thanks for all these recommendations. I'm going to have to keep a list!

Cockaigne turned out to be a big fat no. Even my kids hated it. I think it was the wine.

Beaver Moon smells exactly like a strawberry shortcake doll I had as a kid. Nope.

Midway is damned near perfect for a sweet food scent, though.

Still looking for some sniffies of Drink Me, Haloa, and aged Chimera. And now that list is growing...

Thanks again guys!

I am seconding aged Chimera for the cinnamon rolls, it has quickly skyrocketed to one of my top 3 favorite BPALs, it's just diviiiiiine *drool*

I haven't tried Chimera lab-fresh yet, so I don't know what it smells like new, but I'll know soon enough when I place my next order ; -)

Beaver Moon smells exactly like a strawberry shortcake doll I had as a kid. Nope.

How long ago did you try it? That was my reaction when I first got it, but after aging awhile it lost that plasticky smell for me.

How long ago did you try it? That was my reaction when I first got it, but after aging awhile it lost that plasticky smell for me.

My decant is Beaver Moon 07. It's not so much "plasticky", not like Dorian was plasticky. It's just a scent that, while it appealed to my 5 year old self, does not appeal to my 31 year old self if you know what I mean.

I know I"m terribly picky about my foody scents. (Which is why im so excited I discovered Miday!) But I know if anyone can create my perfect food scent, the Lab can, even if it hasn't just yet. I'm hopeful :P

This may sound weird, and this rec may have something to do with my wonky skin chemistry. Anyway, when I tried Siren, after about half an hour I smelled like a ginger-apricot scone, and then continued to smell like that for about 8 hours. So that might be worth a try!

oddly enough siren came to mind for me as well. patrialy because on me it turns into baked goods (undefinable but not yeasty) and sandalwood.

For cinnamon rolls, aged Chimera is the thing. Om nom nom.

I agree totally with everyone else. Yum.

I have an LE rec for cinnamon rolls though. Enraged Groundhog Musk is just like cinnamon rolls to me, not on my skin, but in a scent locket.

I'll have to reconsider EGM, then!

Perhaps you could search for grains, instead of bread? I'm pretty stumped, I must say.

Perhaps you could search for grains, instead of bread? I'm pretty stumped, I must say.

That is a good idea =) Dana O'Shee and Blood Moon both have grains listed in their notes, Haloa and Lugnasadh reference grain in their descriptions. Anyone looking for a grain/bread scent will be relieved to hear that Lugnasadh doesn't smell anything like a bakery, it smells like lost eBay auctions, never ending quests and empty bank accounts. (A couple of scents contain "grains of paradise" but that is a pepper-like spice.)

I pick up something slightly grainy & yeasty in Dana O'Shee, that note reminds me a little of raw oats when wet but the scent dries to a heady, creamy oats and honey.

DDLM '04 smelled quite bready on me. In my review I wrote "The wet scent is a really strong, heady, perfumey rush of flowers over something bready/yeasty. The drydown is some sort of baked good with butter and honey."

Shub and Inez have a similar denseness that I think smell like cookies (and sexy lady!): evil gingerbread and deep vanilla spice respectively.

ETA: Ditto on the aged Chimera!

Edited by lookingglass