Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tziporra

The Old Lady Scents

Hi there!

I have to admit, when I see a review that complains of the "old-lady" in a scent, my curiousity is immediately piqued. Lots of times these scents read as chic sophisticated couture Paris to me, and I end up really liking them.

So hit me! What smells like your grandma?

Preferably your pearl/couture/blue hair wearing Grandma.

Best,

Tzi

Edited by tziporra

well, while I personally wouldn't call it old-lady because in my head that's code for "choking floral aldehyde failing to mask a depressing care-home cocktail of medicine, industrial detergent and stale urine", I bet Black Dahlia would be right up your street. It's the ultimate 1940s couture scent, fabulous but way too heavy for me, although I hope it's still around when I reach my elegant 60s and can carry off a collarless bouclé Chanel suit and a Hermès scarf in navy and gold decorated with that rope motif or maybe tigers on it, and go about aiming piercing, tight lipped glares at uncouth youngsters.

Have you checked out this thread?

And I would rec Lucretia from The Salon. It's very sophisticated, and is one of those blends that really makes you appreciate the complexities of perfume.

I'm with you-- I happen to really like a lot of the scents that are labeled "old lady" scents by everyone else. In particular, I am in love with Belle Epoque and Marie, both of which have been called "old lady" scents, but which smell young, fresh, flirty, and feminine to me.

Oddly, the scents that smell like my grandmother generally don't read that way to other people-- things like Ave Maria Gratia Plena, Sheol, and Shroud. Those three seriously smell just like my grandmother, and I haven't been able to reconsider wearing them because of the association. But who knows, maybe my grandmother just had really youthful taste in perfume...

<hastily cribbing notes onto wishlist>

Thank you!!! I have imps of Black Dahlia and Twilight in the mail, so it looks like I'm on the right track.

Thanks for the topic link inurbanus -- very interesting. I'll admit that when I posed the question I was trying to be provocative -- hence the "old lady" title instead of "sophisticated fragrances" -- I was kinda hoping that I'd get responses from both sides of the fence, those who like these kinds of scents and those who don't... turns out there was more controversy on the subject that I'd DREAMED.

Best,

Tzi

Voodoo Lily. It was this very regal, golden-purple floral that reminded me of my step-grandma and her large collection of fancy perfume bottles, flashy rhinestone jewelry, and couture handbags.

Having recently tested it, I think that Gypsy Queen is very "old lady." It's perfumey, but not in a dimestore cologne way. It's soft and sophisticated.

The Red Queen. It's not stylish scarves and Jackie O, but it's more Queen Elizabeth (I or II). To me, the imp smells like cherry cordial, but on my skin, it's elegant mahogany furniture.

I was disappointed with it at first, but it definitely grew on me as the day wore on.

The one that literally smells like my grandmother's perfume is Psyche.

You might dig Wicked, and maybe Morgause. But definitely Wicked.

Oo, this is well-timed - I'm in the process of enabling a dear friend. Alas, she has markedly different tastes from my own, and I'm finding it hard to recommend things. She'd mentioned a recent interest in the old classics, esp Chanel No 5, so I'll be monitoring this thread for ideas... So far she's liked Marquise de Merteuil, and I'm on the lookout for imps of Ozymandias & Dance of Death.

I LOVED Psyche in the imp and wet on my skin.... it had exactly the vibe I was looking for but became a little too well-behaved after it dried -- still nice but not matriarchal, if you know what I mean.

Oo, this is well-timed - I'm in the process of enabling a dear friend. Alas, she has markedly different tastes from my own, and I'm finding it hard to recommend things. She'd mentioned a recent interest in the old classics, esp Chanel No 5, so I'll be monitoring this thread for ideas... So far she's liked Marquise de Merteuil, and I'm on the lookout for imps of Ozymandias & Dance of Death.

I've got Marquise in the mail as well :P Hope your friend finds something that works!

Best,

Tzi

Shattered smells like classic, old lady perfume to me. It's not unpleasant, but certainly something I don't want to smell of.

Edited by Persephanise

Heh, I adore Shattered! I don't find it in the "heavy sophisticate" class of perfumes, but I'm just excited to have something with grapefruit and mint that sticks around. I completely second (third?) the Marquise, to me that's a very posh grownup lady scent (I love it).

Heh, I adore Shattered! I don't find it in the "heavy sophisticate" class of perfumes, but I'm just excited to have something with grapefruit and mint that sticks around. I completely second (third?) the Marquise, to me that's a very posh grownup lady scent (I love it).

No, I agree, it isn't heavy. There's just something about it that seems....old.

Versailles is rather nice. It has a very sophisticated feel with the combination of citrus, rose, amber & jasmine. After testing it, I immediately thought my mother might like it, which is a first (she likes Lancome's Magie Noir & not much else).

Edited by alterosen

well for me endymion just made me think of the elderly ladies bench in church.

well for me endymion just made me think of the elderly ladies bench in church.

Yay! Endymion is in the mail for me as well!

Thanks for all the tips!

Best,

Tzi

I have to admit, when I see a review that complains of the "old-lady" in a scent, my curiousity is immediately piqued. Lots of times these scents read as chic sophisticated couture Paris to me, and I end up really liking them.

So hit me! What smells like your grandma?

I just love that. :D I also often see scents I love described as "old lady-ish."

I'm a long time hater of CK1 type scents - the type that are often described as "youthful," but are usually just bland, with no depth, character or complexity at all. I love flowery musky rich retro scents.

I have lovely associations with the way my grandmothers smell/smelled. I guess I just had much cleaner grandmothers than all those people using "old lady scents" as a derogatory description. (OK, that was snarky. :P )

I recommend Antique Lace. It's powdery, rich and sensual. Just completely lovely.

Also, I haven't worn it in a while but I remember Brisingamen being quite rich and wonderful.

Snake Oil smells just like my Granny's perfume. I could never get into it for that reason!

I find that really funny, since so many people on the forum call Snake Oil a really sexy blend. It's amazing to discover how youthful our grandmothers' tastes actually were!