Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Sierona

Glasya

Created in honor of the fiery, vicious Princess of Hell and bloodthirsty general who governs thirty-six legions of infernal warriors. Her lust for bloodshed and manslaughter is matched only by her love of the classical arts and sciences - definitely a woman that we respect. A seething, fiery blend of dragon's blood, deep myrrh, red and black musks, civet and thick red patchouli, glistening with drops of rose and ylang ylang.

*sniffed from imp*

Patchouli and Dragon's blood and ylang ylang!! The myrrh and musk are more understated...Strangely, I don't smell the civet :P At all. It's a bright yet dark, agressive, feminine scent...one would be wise to wear it with *care*!

Glasya on me is so sweet. I expected the usual morph that myrrh and/or ylang ylang do on my skin (they turn to maple syrup -- not pretty), but amazingly, it didn't happen. No weird civet reaction, either. The combination of dragon's blood and roses is an absolute winner.

Glasya is yet more evidence that patchouli can be a wearable, sophisticated scent. I love this! It has so many of my favorite notes, the red patchouli, musk, ylang ylang...it's really just perfect.

Hot, deep, and musky. I can smell the civet, though, which makes me not like it. Too animalistic for me, methinks.

If you're looking for a dark, heady, almost disturbing floral, Glasya is the way to go. On me, the rose and ylang-ylang come out quite strongly. I don't get the base notes (myrrh, patchouli, etc.) as much. It's very heady, like a garden full of jasmine on a sultry summer night.

I'd say this scent is best for someone who likes rich, deep, floral blends. I have an imp of this, and it's going to be going up for swap; as beautiful as this blend is, it's just not my type of scent.

On me this scent is very dark and deep. Initially I got the floral and dragon's blood but then the musks and civet show up and it is so sexy and smoldering. I really love this!!!! Very powerful scent. I will be applying this sparingly because it seems a little is all you really need.

Bottle (Imp): Smooth and pretty.

Just On: It's quite nice, smooth.

An hour or two later: Smooth and sultry.

Around 6 hours: Smooth, possibly a hint of woods.

12 hours: Not sure what is left, but it's okay.

Overall: I rather like this one, but it doesn't make me too sad that it's discontinued.

After reading other reviews: I certainly didn't get the rose part of this, but I can see how the other things (myrrh, ylang ylang, and musks) made up the smooth part. The civet in this one didn't bother me. All in all, it's okay, but not my type so much.

The mixture of dragon's blood and ylang ylang is the main thing that I smell in Glasya, the combination is very metallic and sour on my skin. :P

In the drydown this gets a bit more musky, but that's not a good thing where I am concerned. It is that hairspray scented musk.

Conclusion: This gives me a vicious headache.

Ah yes, immediately there's the red musk, which seems to work so well for me; although there's also the dragon's blood going cloyingly sweet on me as it does. Overall the musk appears to be winning, however; also gradually getting some patchouli and maybe a bit of rose.

I like this one quite a bit, but fortunately I don't love it madly, since it's been discontinued. Would not turn down a chance to swap for more if the opportunity came up, though.

Origin - Discontinued Circular Swap

In the imp this smells incredible! This is exactly the kind of oil I love, but it's got that one dreaded note in there that makes me hestitate. That's right…black musk (bet you thought I was going to say civet). Black musk turns to a horrid dirty diaper smell on me, so I tend to stay away from blends that contain it. But everything else in here sounds so yummy, I have to give it a chance.

Wet - on it smells musky, almost incensy, and yet there is something discordant in the mix that is preventing me from loving it. It smells almost bitter.

Dry - This softens quite a bit, although the red musk remains prominent. The bitter smell vanishes, but there's a bit of dustiness in here, which could be a result of either the black musk or the rose on my skin. Nice, but Debauchery is a similiar and superior scent.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3 .

Glasya

In the imp: wow, a sweet, deep, rich musk, with a bit of floral. No civet. I'm hoping that particular note doesn’t overtake the blend…

Wet on skin: the musks blossom on my skin, both red and black, with dragon's blood, rose and perhaps some patchouli and myrrh, but truthfully the notes are so nicely blended so you can't really pick anything out in particular.

Dry on skin: I really like this. There's definitely something intense and slightly animalistic about it, but thankfully it's not the 'eww!' reaction I expected the civet to give me. Maybe there's a small quantity in here, or I'm the lucky sort who doesn't amp up this note-because here, it works well and seems so well blended with the other musk notes. But it's not all musk-there's a lovely rose and myrrh blend here, as well as strong ylang, and patchouli and dragon's blood in smaller amounts. This scent actually reminds me of something I smelt before…possibly a fusion of Spellbound, Arabian Nights, Blood Rose and Dragon's Heart…whatever it is, there's something familiar here I cannot place, but I like it. This is the scent of a woman who means business!

After a while: there's a hint of something dry and a bit smoky, maybe that could be the myrrh (some myrrh notes can smell a bit dry and smouldering as opposed to thick and resinous) but apart from that, all the notes become even more balanced. Nothing sticks out or gets overpowering, everything works very well in here, but I love the musk-rose combination I smell in here that forms the heart of the blend.

After about three hours...hey, what's this? Ah, civet, there you are! Now I can smell that mischevious little animalistic note, once hiding under all the other notes, is now a bit more noticeable. But it's still not too unpleasant.

Verdict: this one was a pleasant surprise for me. I was a bit leery of the civet but in here it works really well. The scent is reminiscent of a mix of many BPAL scents including Dragon's Heart and Spellbound, an intense musky floral scent, powerful and demanding attention, mature, confident and feminine, the scent of a woman who's not afraid to kick some arse! I love the musk-rose heart of the scent, it's full-bodied and rich, and the scent has great depth and strength. The drydown of the scent is when the civet shows up, but even so, it's not too off putting. I may want to hunt down an imp of this scent, because it's more gorgeous than I expected it would be.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

At first sniff, very musky, and with that unmistakable skanky civet note lurking in it. But as it settles in, a lot more complexity comes out, including a definite touch of sweetness. It's definitely a very dynamic blend, with a lot of highs and lows mixed together.

After a while, the disparate notes begin blending together and finding a balance -- very earthy and a little animalistic, but with a floral overlay keeping it from being too murky. The civet is thankfully no longer taking centre stage, either. It doesn't feel all that fiery to me, but there is a bit of warmth to it, and a touch of spiciness, probably from the dragon's blood.

I wouldn't see this becoming a top favourite (fortunately, since it's discontinued) -- it's a bit too heavy for me. But it's a very interesting scent. And, for the record, the first ever scent containing ylang ylang that I haven't felt the urge to scrub off immediately. I guess it really does take that much earthiness to tone down ylang ylang's cloying sweetness on me!

Grade: B

Tried this through the discontinued scent circle.

In the imp: musks. It’s a dark, rich-smelling scent

On the skin, wet: musks, a bit of floral – roses mainly. This is a musky, resiny, rich scent.

Dry: the dark musks are coming out and becoming a bit powdery. Oh yes, it’s strongly powder with a hint of rose.

Overall: I got none of the patchouli, civet, dragon’s blood, myrrh or ylang ylang. Just musk and rose.

It was good to try this but I won’t be hunting this one down.

Glasya - Oh my gosh! I can’t get over what a beautiful blend this is. It’s deep and rich yet simultaneously soft and sweet. It’s a truly spectacular blend with just the right amount of every note to create a truly lovely soft “red” scent. I’m actually surprised that none of the other reviewers have compared this to Red Moon, because it definitely reminds me of a darker, deeper, huskier version of Red Moon. This blend is a perfect example of a bunch of notes I don’t like individually (e.g., civet, ylang ylang, black musk, red patchouli, and sometimes dragon’s blood) coming together fabulously to create a blend that is greater than the sum of its parts. The dragon’s blood is the strongest note, but it by no means dominates the blend. The musks are right there behind it – all of them. The civet is definitely distinctive, but as with most civet blends (i.e., not civet by itself) it works well on me. The rose, myrrh, and ylang ylang blend together in the background in a way that is just sooo pretty and tempers the musks to keep them from being too strong in this blend. The red patchouli is far, far in the background, and barely discernible. It gives this blend the lightest touch of huskiness that it wouldn’t have without it. Overall, this is a truly spectacular blend and I am hoping it will be reinstituted into the general catalogue again someday. The throw is below average and the staying power is good – it better be with all that musk, dragon’s blood, patchouli, myrrh, and rose in it (all notes that tend to linger on my skin).

I haven't reviewed this one yet, so I'll review it now in anticipation of getting one of the resurrected bottles.

I've been wearing Glasya for about five hours now on both wrists. The left wrist smells like a sultry civet*/musk/patchouli combination, and the right wrist smells sweeter and doesn't have the civet. It seems like the civet is noticeable only on the left wrist and the ylang ylang only on the right one. (Not sure why different wrists with the same scent smell different... maybe I started with more lotion on one of them or something.) There's a little bit of rose on both wrists too, but not a lot.

To be honest I can't smell any dragon's blood at all. It's mostly dark, musky, and sensual -- the rose is there and gives it a slightly feminine quality, but the civet turns it a little naughty. I think this is definitely one of the sexiest BPAL scents, and to me it feels like luxury. Like an indulgence. It makes me think of a gorgeous, sexy woman who knows she turns heads. I really love it.

At this point my imp is at least two years old, and I can't wait to get the new bottle to see what it smells like before it's aged. I have a feeling I'm not going to like the fresh version quite as much as I like this imp (Glasya has a few notes that always seem to get better with age), but it'll be interesting to find out.

*One little disclaimer: Civet always smells good on me.

Edited by filigree_shadow

Glasya, resurrected.

I tried this once at an Albuquerque Sniff-a-thon, and loved it, but because it was discontinued, I never got more. I had no idea what was in it, but remembered it as sultry, sexy, gorgeous.

Which it still is.

So I was excited when it was resurrected. but imagine my surprise when I read the notes! Rose? The evil rose? And civet? Civet isn't awful on me, but it is quite....strong. Sometimes red musk goes a bit out of control on me too. But I ordered anyway, thinking the worst that can happen is that it will be like Love Me or some of the other Voodoo blends which are just too strong.

It was the first bottle I opened in my package today, and in the bottle it didn't smell all that promising. A hint of dragon's blood, more than a hint of rose, and something musky. Even on, its a bit worrisome at first, because I get the rose right away, but it so nicely tempered by the musk that I don't mind it, though I'm not crazy about it at this stage.

After a bit, it is powdery rose, and this rose-hater actually likes it, because it reminds me a bit of a perfume I used to wear a very long time ago called Ombre Rose, which was a musky, powdery, floral.

Eventually, I get all the musk and spice of patchouli, and the civet plays nice. Really, after the rose fades a bit, it is very difficult for me to pick out notes: what this smells like is a very sexy animalistic perfume that complex and well-blended. It smells like red velvet to me, or like a very sexy woman wearing blood-red velvet dress. You know that at some late hour she will turn feral, return to her animal form--fox or wolf or mountain lion--and disappear across the moonlit snow.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to get a bottle.

eta: this is a scent that will surprise you. Even if you think you hate some of the notes: rose, or patchouli, or civet, or dragon's blood, you might want to try it anyway, because no single note really stands out, but it all blends magically.

Edited by cuervosueno

My notes on Glasya from the discontinued circular swap are spotty at best - herbal with a floral hint. That's useful.

But my resurrected bottle...now this is the stuff. Rich and heady, this is similar, a bit, to Skuld, but more sultry and sinister, and less honey sweet. I really really like this and can see myself getting a lot of good use out of it.

A scent with civet that actually smells drop dead gorgeous? I never would have believed it if I hadn't tried it myself. Glasya is dark, strong and very sexy, with lots of myrrh, patchouli, musk and ylang ylang.. Funny, but I only get the faintest whiff of rose (thankfully). On the drydown, it remains very sultry, but lightens up and becomes sweet and lovely. Thank goodness this got ressurrected, or I never would have gotten to try it. :P

I got glasya for the darker elements- musk, civet and resins. Also, I am pregnant now so my BPALs don't smell quite the same as it did before.

In the bottle- Patchouli! Definitely a hippe feel going on, with a touch of rose

Wet- Maple syrup? It has a deep, murky, almost spicey sweetness that really makes me think of maple syrup.

Dry- The myrrh and DB is coming out to buddy up with the patchouli. I can still catch a hint of rose, giving this a girlier vibe that I had hoped, but still nice. I don't smell my beloved civet at all, and the musk seems to be drowned out by the resins and patchouli. Still has a hippie vibe to it, it makes me think of an incense I used to burn ages ago.

Overall- Good, but not as awesome as I had hoped. Blends with patchouli are much better for me aged, so I will put Glasya away for a bit and see how she mellows. That and the pregnancy nose may be making it smell off.

ADDED 10/5/08:

Oh Glasya, how I wanted to love you! For the record, I am a civet fan, and jumped for joy when this was resurrected. I also love dragon's blood, myrrh, musks, and patchouli is usually just fine. However, rose is my nemesis, but I figured just "drops" of it would be fine, right??

Freshly applied, this is a deeply syrupy delight of musks, resins, and patch. A joy to inhale, but just a few seconds later, florals start to emerge. After a few minutes I have rose, and it has turned into the evil, rotting rose of doom! I can barely smell the deep beauty of the other dark elements below this rose. A little while longer, the rose is giving me a headache and I am trying not to smell myself in the hopes that it will get better as it dries.

I make it about 45 minutes before I need to take this off with rubbing alcohol, it wants to cling to me and never leave. :P I am very sad, as I saw how beautiful this could have been before the rose attacked me. Perhaps a scent locket would keep this in that first, delicious stage.

Grr, I know I like patchouli, I know I like dragon's blood, I know I like musks, I know what civet and rose and ylang ylang smell like...but what is that metallic edge of a smell? It was in Hades; it was in Sheol; I had thought it were labdanum and vowed I will not wear labdanum. However, there is no labdanum listed for Glasya.

Dear Glasya, I may have to let you go. i wanted so to like you, but even in a locket, you give me that metallic-edge smell, which I do not like at all. I may decant an imp, just in case, and swap the rest of you...

:P

This scent was a gamble for me. Musk, Patchouli, and Myrrh=Love. Rose, Ylang-Ylang, and Civet= :P Unfortunately for me the rose and civet won, but I can imagine this scent being drop-dead sexy on the right person.

:P OMG, Glasya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am too swoony right now to even post a proper review, which I promise to come back and do once I recover my senses.

I smell some lovely notes in this...but they are all overwhelmed by the rose (and maybe the ylang ylang)...which makes it a little soapy.

Oh well.

I like everything else in it!

In the botte: This smells awesome and powerful. I can pick up on the red notes (the musk and the patchouli) and the civet, which does not bother me at all.

Wet: Damn you, black musk. I HATE YOU! How, in the midst of all these awesome and powerful notes, the only thing I can smell is sickly, stale black musk on my skin, I have no idea, but...:P

Drydown and wear: The civet and patchouli come out a bit and it is really unappealing combined with the black musk. I can't smell any of the floral, and I really wish I could. :D I'm afraid that this one's off to swaps.

I've long wondered about Glasya. Hey, it was one of my favorite illustrations in the original AD&D Monster Manual! :P But aside from being a sexy she-devil, she also has some of my favorite fragrance notes: red musk, patchouli...civet and ylang ylang do give me pause.

Glasya snakes around my wrist with sensuous grace, bathing me in a deep, luxurious red scent. There's this odd thing dragon's blood does sometimes where it smells more like a berry or wine scent. It's mostly a red musk scent though...touched with that bit of sweetness and a pervasive cloud of the unavoidable civet.

BPAL civet smells like mothballs to me. Black musk, too, seems to have that dusky musty quality. In most blends it overwhelms and kind of ruins it for me. But here, the red musk and sweeter earthy notes keep it at bay. I don't smell rose or ylang ylang, but all of these forces working together actually remind me a bit of Lilith without the strong wine note.

She sticks around for a long time, with the musky mothball scent dying off quickly. It lingers as a red earthy scent with a touch of an almost berrylike note.

I have a zillion things with red musk in them now so I don't feel I need a bottle of every single one...this is a lovely one to sample though.