Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
maribouquet

Old Moon

A dark, still winter's night. The cold, white moon shines on frozen ground dusted with silent snow: evergreen, juniper, winterberry holly, bayberry, Viking black chokeberry, hemlock, and yew, ice-rimed, gilded by traditional lunar herbs and flowers.

This one really surprised me. I don't usually care for piney, snowy scents, but this is quite lovely. It reminds me of Snow Moon, with that same "snow" note, but where Snow Moon was sharp and chilly, this is softer, with the berries adding a sweet edge which puts it solidly in the win category for me.

Stunning. Is the first thing that comes to mind. It's wintery and to me it is feminine. It reminds me of a Talvikuu but softer more subdued. It has good throw and lasted about 2 hours. If I rub my wrists together I can still smell it 6 hours later. I am thinking this will be a great scent for the oil burner and my locket

this is the scent I always wanted Skadi to be. Old moon is slushy snow, deep forest evergreens, and juicy red berries. Like sitting in the middled of an Alberta forest crushing fistfulls of berries. Am so glad I was able to get this, I would have been so sad to have missed out.

I can really smell the holliberry in the bottle and out. I was kind of expecting a more snowy scent like Snow White 2007. But I still like Old Moon, just not as something I'd wear so I put some in a candle I have and was burning it while reading a few nights ago and it felt like I was in Big Bear during winter. It was very lovely :P

Very strong evergreen scent at first. Something in the background reminds me of tea berries. The longer I wear it, the more it seems to turn to mint. I don't really like how that happens, so sadly this goes to the swap pile.

This is what I had expected TP'ed Trees to smell like!

In the bottle, it smells like pine sap, straight-up.

Once I put it on my skin, it softens into a wearable, green scent. I can smell the juniper, the pine is still present, and there are some lunar florals in the background giving the fragrance an elegant twist.

There is something about Old Moon that is fantastic with my chemistry....When I sniff my wrist close up, I smell mostly pine and juniper, but as an aura, one of the floral notes wafts up and smells just beautiful. It really does smell like walking in an evergreen forest dusted with the first snow.

Another fascinating scent from Beth! I am not sure if I need a full bottle, but I will surely keep a decant if I decide to pass the bottle along. I'd be interested to see what this smells like once it's aged.

4.2 out of 5

Old Moon - On my skin, this smells like really strong evergreen/pine notes. Very few of the plant notes in this blend ever even remotely work on my skin. However, in this blend, the strength of the deep green notes are tempered by the sweet florals and herbs that keep it from being overly pungent on me. Still, it's not my type of blend. Not all, but most of these evergreen/pine blends tend to smell like car freshener on me and sadly, this one leans to much in that direction for me to really enjoy it. Oh, I should add that even though this isn't really my cup o' tea, I think this would layer gorgeously with Villainess' Hoarfrost Whipped!

I've been looking for a winter floral for a while, and I was hoping for a little more of those 'traditional lunar herbs and flowers' on this one. Instead, I got pine. Lots of pine. Pine, the whole pine, and nothing but the pine. :P

If you like evergreen scents, then this one is most definitely for you. Unfortunately, it is most definitely not for me!

Old Moon

I passed on this when it was released, because I thought it would turn to play doh on me (Snow-Flakes, Snow Bunny). Then I regretted that, and I was lucky enough to pick up an unopened bottle from the forum! :P

Deliciously piney, sweet, berryish, and wonderful herbs! Is the evergreen scent the association with snow and ice? This seems to be a warm, comforting scent to me. Not a whiff of play doh in sight!! Yay!!

This does not morph at all on my skin, it stays true to the scent in the bottle. Although I love it, I am not sure it is something I will reach for often, as I love my Pink and Strawberry Moons too much, I always want to wear them. Though today I decided to wear Old Moon, and I am glad I did! It is very uplifting and fresh. I will definitely be keeping my bottle, but I will not be needing another one or ten, I will not go through that much, I will enjoy opening and sniffing this from the bottle, wearing it occasionally!

When I first applied it, my immediate reaction was "This smells like Skadi". And while I passed my imp on a long time ago, I remember my impression of Skadi because of the pine. Upon application, you get this pine smell with the frostyness underneath.

After about an hour, the pine is gone and I smell the sweet slushy sort of snow like scent.

Unfortunately, I don't think that has a great throw. And it doesn't appear to be sticking around since its pretty faint at the moment.

I'm going to try it again before I decide what to do with it.

On the other hand, if you were wondering what Skadi smells like, Old Moon gives you a pretty good idea.

This is a chilly pine blend on me... I was hoping for the berries to peek through, but on my skin it was just pine. There was something to it that added depth but it was cold and didn't add any sweetness to the blend.

In the imp: Piercingly chilly. Very pine-y.

On me, wet: As above, but twice as strong. Also starting to get a a really sweet, fruity, almost bubble gum scent-- maybe the berries? It's nice, but very very strong on me.

On me, dry: This calms down on me as it dries and settles into a lovely scent. The evergreen actually mellows a bit and becomes almost secondary to the berry smell.

Throw and duration: throw is excellent. I've only had it on for a few hours, but suspect it'll be a long lasting scent on me.

Overall: On me, this is really quite stunning. It evokes an image of picking berries in a snowy, moonlight forest-- basically lines up exactly with the description. This one's a keeper.

In the imp: I detect more berries than I was anticipating, with the evergreen slongside. I'd even venture to call it sweet.

Wet: Why hallo thar, Vick's VapoRub! I get a strong blast of a camphorous scent -- I'm guessing the juniper. It is in full force for a few minutes, but luckily it calms down after that. I can still detect it high in my nostrils when I sniff close to my hand, but it's much more subtle.

Dry: Just like in the imp, with the pretty, sweet berries at the forefront and the evergreen and snow in the background. After a while, the snowy note is gone alltogether and I am left with warm evergreen and berries (very much like Mistletoe '07). I think I might like this a little better than Mistletoe actually, however both scents are very faint on me and seem to disappear in the blink of an eye.

I did try Skadi very early in my BPAL days, but I remember not caring for it very much. I cannot recall it enough to tell you how closely Old Moon resembles it, but I can certainly appreciate the evocative nature of the blend even if it's not something I would reach for very often. :P

Hey there..

to me Old Moon smells EXACTLY like Ice Queen... :D

I am so happy bout that since I sold my bottle of Ice Queen in a stupid mood... :P

On skin,

this is so cold, green and comforting - I can smell the snow, the evergreen and that tiny bit of sweetness.. like frozen berries in a forrest with a lot of pines...

I love it - LOVE LOVE LOVE it !

In the bottle it smells like pine edged mint and old scrolls, but on my skin I get a sweet base of mingled pine and berries, with a bright, though faint, topnote of mint. It smells like what winter looks like in the stillness after a heavy snowfall from the window of a a warm house. Lovely! 4.5/5

In the bottle: fir, gin & icy mint

Wet: Fir, gin, icy mint, & earth?

Dry down: minty, the fir fades a bit & smells more "dried" (if that makes any sense), the gin/juniper smells a bit like... chaparral. Kinda of like a summer hike in the sierras and you crunched through some mint.

Note: I think my skin beats the "winter" out of anything. Mint simply smells minty on me after a while.

Edited by Lemonlife

Fresh pine/evergreen scent with a hint of winter chilliness which I’ve detected in some of the more wintry blends. Very strong and has excellent throw. Better suited as a room fragrance than a personal one, I feel. It is nice but I don’t think it’s something I’d wear again. Reminds me a little of Snow Bunny.

In the imp, it's light and clean - I'm getting the lilac & violet.

It gets a little sharp on my skin initially - and then the orris calms down the flowers.

When it dries, it's sweet, but subtle - the violet leads. Very nice!

a bold, wintry, sinus-clearing blend of evergreen needles and that unique BPAL “slush” note found in many yule blends. sweet, tart berries and a touch of minty eucalyptus round out the perfume. i’ve always longed to try skadi, so i’m happy to see all the reviews which point out the similarities between the two scents. personally, it reminds me of talvikuu from yule ’05. this will help me cope with the hottest summer days.

I picked this one up from a swap and WOW. Just WOW.

In the bottle, wet and on dry down. This is lovely. This is the smell of the Yule holidays. The fir trees, the sugar plum fairies, all of it. This is beautiful. And I'll need another bottle of it.

This is a very "cold" scent, and a bit masculine to me. I really smell the evergreens, but this smells just too much like a cleaning product for me to wear.

Old Moon smells like tart, woodland berry pie... decidedly purple and rustic. With the tang of old, wet evergreen, shining and weird. It's rather mystical, desserty, cold and lovely.

It's not remotely harsh, and the evergreen is very full-bodied, not like that stark air-freshener pine. Not much throw and it doesn't seem to last too long, but I adore it. :heart:

Edited by Aldercy

To me, this smells like a cold, sweet evergreen and juniper scent. Unfortunately I can't say much else about it because my skin totally amps cold and evergreen notes, so if there are any other notes swirling around in there, I really can't tell. ;)

It's quite pleasant, but my all-time favorite scent that's similar to this one is Snow Bunny, and so far I haven't found anything that tops Snow Bunny!

Old Moon

In the imp: frosty evergreen with a hint of tangy dark berries.

Wet on skin: I smell the evergreen notes (pine and fir, I think), the berries and the juniper.

Dry: mmm, not bad! This does have a snowy feel to it but not as strong as the snowy notes in November, Skadi, Wolf Moon, Snow Moon etc, in my opinion, this is more of a gentle frost covering evergreens and cold and sharp berries (the kind that are probably poisonous). It’s very evocative of a winter forest, and is what I was hoping to get from Snow Storm.

After a while: it still smells of cold, frosty berries and evergreens, but now there’s a sharp, clear, fizzy note to it like sparkling white wine. I have no idea where the hint of champagne is coming from but I quite like it. However, one of the evergreen/berry notes is starting to turn funny on me, almost like a fermented fruit scent meets bitter olive oil. I got similar reactions in Talvikuu and the Snow Storm. It’s very minor for now, this odd note, but I’m keeping an eye (nose?) on it. This strange bitter smell seems to get stronger, and then I realise that it reminds me of the martini smell of 21, so I think that’s the juniper. Though I’m not sure why I also smell olives here…but like 21, this has a feel of clear, crystalline iciness to it, covering evergreens and berries.

Verdict: I’m not crazy about this one. Something in the evergreen notes goes odd on me. I do like the just-dry stage, a cool and snowy evergreen very much like the likes of Wolf Moon and Snow Storm-in fact, it seems like a blend of those two scents, but lacking WM’s sweetness and musk, and a lot colder and icier than Snow Storm, and with a very strong juniper note. I also smell more of a berry thing going on, and it gets slightly effervescent at times. Very wintry and unisex, leaning towards masculine-it’s almost like the manly version of L’Inverno. But a lot of winter evergreen scents have been turning strange on me and this one does too, so it’s not a keeper.

Emoticon rating: :huh?:

Is it a keeper? Not really.

If you like this, try: November, Wolf Moon 07, Snow Moon, Death of the Gravedigger, Snow Storm, Shivering Boy, Twenty One

Ugh. Damn, I hate myself right now. I've seen SO MANY bottles of this slip past me in the past couple months for ridick cheap sale prices and of course now that I know that I love it, I'll only be able to find bottles for insane marked up prices - just watch. It's the curse of BPAL LE's past! Anyway, did I say that I love this? I LUUURRVES it so very, very much! I want to run away with it to Mexico (swine flu be damned!) and have its illegitimate children.....

*ahem*

Look, this smells like everything I wanted Skadi to be but wasn't. I wanted so much to love Skadi, and I hunted and hunted her down for months, until one day I woke up buried under a pile of Skadi impage, only to realize that it didn't really work on me. I got no snow at all, and, I'm gonna be honest, on my skin it started to exude this weird "barf" note that was really disconcerting. This, this is snowy pine trees, frost rimmed berries and hot Viking sex. I can hear the Norwegian black metal. I need eighty million bottles of this to wear for next winter!

:love!: