Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
amberbella

The Best Scents for Home, a Room, the Car...

I'm looking for a BPAL oil for the house, but have to think of my husband too. What would you recommend that isn't too girly or masculine. I tend to stay away from overly earthy or incensy scents. I'd prefer fresh scents for spring/summer.

What do ya' think?

I've been using Malediction, which is heavy, but with a few drops of sweet orange oil added. To me, it's perfect. Gender neutral and full of character, not "too" anything for my nose.

I've been using Cathedral but it is a bit incensey. I've also used Chimera and Sin, but I wouldn't call either of them a "fresh" scent.

I haven't tried Old Shanghai as a house scent yet, but I'm thinking about it. It is a fresh lemony scent.

I've heard some people like embalming fluid as a room scent.

Myself, though, I like the room to smell pretty much the same way I do, so I use spicy/incensy scents more than anything else.

I went & bought myself a brand spankin' new car last weekend (this one in fact: Inga's shiny new red vroom vroom )

& While most love that "new car" smell, I like things to feel 'lived in' & familiar,otherwise I'll keep thinking I'm driving a hire car or something, it won't feel like my car.

So, with that in mind, I have one of those scent diffusers that you put essential oil on the fabric pad & chuck into the ciggie lighter & was curious which you think would be a good "car smell". Should i go for a scent among my faves or, should I go a 'neutral' one? maybe one that is relaxing or clears the head so I can drive better etc?? not sure which way to go on this...

My faves are: Haunted, Sanke oil, Spellbound, Loviatar, Pele, Old Paris & Queen Mab.

A scent that fits the car would be good too. I got the 'velocity red" which the site doesn't do justice too, it's a real blue based blood red, still vibrant but not garish with a metallic/glittery gleam to it. I also got the darkest legal tinted windows so it'll look solid black & red. So I was thinking something sexy & devilish. Bear in mind I detest anything with dragon's blood resin in it.

Any suggestions?

Edited 'cause I can't spell & am still waking up

Edited by Gothabillywench

Congrats on your new car! :D

I would personally go for the "neutral scent" option. Like you said, a relaxing fragrance would be great for driving. I also think some of the headier scents might become overpowering in the confined space of a car, especially if they overheat when the car is left in the sun, etc (although this shouldn't be a problem at this time of the year since it's winter for you, right?)

I have not tried Old Paris yet, but it sounds like it would work beautifully :P

Another oil I would recommend in the "lighter, serene yet red" category would be Old Glasgow, but bear in mind that I am utterly in love with it, so I have a bad tendency to recommend it every single freakin' time!

*Old Glasgow! Get your Old Glasgow! Cures everything, from new car smell to PMS, from ingrown nails to chicken pox..."

A scent that fits the car would be good too. I got the 'velocity red" which the site doesn't do justice too, it's a real blue based blood red, still vibrant but not garish with a metallic/glittery gleam to it. I also got the darkest legal tinted windows so it'll look solid black & red. So I was thinking something sexy & devilish.

I think your car is screaming out for a taste of Loviatar.

Thanks Gal's!

I think Loviatar or Lust are the way to go. the scent pads fade after about 2 3 months so I can go for something lighter when it starts heating up. - Yes Ishtar, it's bloody freezing here at the moment! :P

I thought maybe Queen of hearts in Summer.

Mind you- Beth gave me a bottle of "Aries" as a freebie with my last order so given I am a ram & the car is red...... though it will be 'born' in late July/early August so will be a Leo by birth.

Still a forey little thing though :D

Edited by Gothabillywench

Mind you- Beth gave me a bottle of "Aries" as a freebie with my last order so given I am a ram & the car is red...... though it will be 'born' in late July/early August so will be a Leo by birth.

It is funny, because I got an imp of Black Forest in a swap and I couldn't really wear it. My car is a bmw, so in the car it went. It is funny how the car's "personality" helps to choose a scent =)

Congrats on the new car!

I have a oil-water burner that uses a small votive candle for heat. I'm wondering what would be some good room scents to use with it.

thanks!

I used The Caterpillar today. It smells gorgeous! I tried it using the candle wax from tea light candles, instead of the water. (its in another thread, but I couldn't find it right now) Works so much better than water and oil!!! I'll look some more for that thread and leave the link.

My favourite oils for room scents are Jester, Old Glasgow, Old Cairo and Jolly Roger, depending on the mood I want to create.

I also use some of the cinnamony blends, Three Witches in particular.

Sometimes I will burn scents I like but cannot wear, either because my skin chemistry does weird things with them, or because they are a bit too much to wear. That's what I did with Bliss and Vice, that are really overly sweet on me, but turned out to be scrumptious room scents :P I might try Hellcat in the burner one of these days.

I use soy wax in my burner. It lasts sooo much longer! It also pumps up vanilla-e scents. I've been using Lughnasadh, Kali, O, Old Morocco, & hellfire in my burner and it smells delicious!!

I use and enjoy Snake Oil and The Star (not at the same time) in my burner. I must try some of the other suggestions in this thread, they sound really nice.

Usually I like my BPAL too much to want to waste it scenting my car, but I'm all out of my rosewood EO that I used to use for car air freshener and am trying to decide what to replace it with. Snake Oil might be nice, but could I stand to use it up just to make my car smell nice? Hmmm.

Any recommendations? Which scents do you use to burn in an oil burner or scent your car? (And shouldn't we have a FAQ for this? :P)

Sign in to follow this