Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
amberbella

The Best Scents for Home, a Room, the Car...

Maybe something fresh and light would work to please everyone's noses, myoubi - here are some you could try: Shanghai (lemon verbena and green tea), Embalming Fluid (aloe, green tea and lemon), Zephyr (clean white musk and lemon), Dirty (lovely clean super-light floral), Kumiho (white tea and ginger), Sudha Segara (creamy but bright ginger).

I think anything along those lines would probably avoid the cloying, heavy scents you seem to want to avoid!

You also might want to try "wood" scents. Jupiter was amazing in an oil burner but not so much on the skin. Nocnitsa, Black Forest, Yew Trees show up with the Lab search engine for "wood", or particular types like "oak". I could see burning Black Forest, haven't tried the others.

I use Sudha Segara for a very bright and clean but warm and 'zingy' room scent.

I like sort of herbal/woodsy scents for room scents. Some of my favorites are Arcana, Silk Road, Dublin and Holiday Moon (actually, any of the Asian-inspired moons would likely work well, as bamboo and tea work beautifully as environmental scents). I also use The Dormouse as a room and linen spray, sometimes. I haven't tried it in the burner (I put some soy wax flakes and a few drops of oil in the burner - lasts for hours and the crock is easy to clean). In the bedroom I use Quietude quite often on work nights when we really need to sleep -- the lavender doesn't set of Himself's allergies, and I love the tranquility of the scent.

I also agree with Ivyandpeony's suggestions.

Oh, and I'm seriously thinking of picking up a spare bottle or two of Et Lux Fuit to use as environmental scent. It isn't heavy, and while it isn't particularly fresh and clean in the way citrus and tea scents are, it's one of the cheeriest, sunniest scents I have ever encountered. I suspect it could elevate the mood of a room in no time. :P

Frumious Bandersnatch!

It's fruity and spicy, and I believe some of the reviews compared it to scented candles. I think it's very autumnal, too, if you're getting in that mood.

I bought bottles of Hymn and Seraglio for room scenting purposes, personally. Smoky, resiny, rosy...rich and warm. They both just fill me with a sense of well-being.

Oh, and I'm seriously thinking of picking up a spare bottle or two of Et Lux Fuit to use as environmental scent. It isn't heavy, and while it isn't particularly fresh and clean in the way citrus and tea scents are, it's one of the cheeriest, sunniest scents I have ever encountered. I suspect it could elevate the mood of a room in no time. :D

I highly recommend it. That's what I have in my living room and it's just lovely. Sunny and cheery and warm. :P

For heavier room scents, I like Lust; Tintagel is my favorite for around the holidays.

For lighter scents, I like Amsterdam and Rosalind. I'm slightly bummed I didn't get a bottle of Shadow when it was still around as that was really nice as well. Ouija's kind of cool too.

Red Lantern is a wonderful room scent for parties.

I found that the Panaceas I've tried make good room scents as well.

I have a oil-water burner that uses a small votive candle for heat. I'm wondering what would be some good room scents to use with it.

thanks!

I've got one of these too, but instead water, I take the wick out of the cheapie tealights and drop the wax cake into the well and melt it with some scent.

I've used Hearth '05, Bliss, Tum and last night Sudha Segara as room scents.

Sudha Segara didn't really scent the room at all - and I used quite a lot. Tum, however, I could smell two rooms away and only used a few drops. Same with Bliss and Hearth.

As far as fresh and neutral, my vote is for Tum - it's a fizzy sweet scent but it reminds me of fresh fruit instead of something artificial.

Now, if you want a non-BPAL scent, I'd highly recommend BBWs new Vanilla Sugarcane scented oil. I damned near licked the oil well when we walked into the store.

Would it be ok in this thread to discuss which burners are good? I've been thinking about locating one, but I have no idea what features to look for..

Bastet is too almondy on my skin but in a burner it is fantastic. I added 3 drops to some wax and within 30 minutes the entire house was filled with a soft toasted almond scent - gorgeous! In a smaller area 3 drops would be too much actually.

I recently got a new wooden blanket/linen chest. I filled it up today, then taped a cotton square soaked in Aeval to the inside of the lid. I just opened it up awhile ago, and it was such a nice choice (I was bewildered what to pick - it was kind of random). It seems like the way I want linen to smell.

Hm, now that I'm typing this, I wonder why I didn't use Dirty...

So far the two that I have loved in the room diffuser are Neo-Tokyo and The Scales of Deprivation. Neo-Tokyo has this fantastic relaxing/energizing combo action going on, it's fresh and electric but at the same time allows you to chill out and focus. It's perfect for right after work, when you're wishing your day was done but there's still miles to go. Scales is very sexy and it has that way of smelling like a naughty fantasy lover. Definitely a boudoir scent.

Yesterday, I was burning a Pacifica Spanish Amber candle in my bedroom. On a whim, I poured the melted wax into my burner and then poured some Brisingamen in as well, then lit the candle underneath the burner. Mmmmm......warm amber heaven. It was like walking into a big, golden hug. Even the Boy commented (without prompting, no less) how much he liked the way the room smelled. I will convert him yet.

This is less of a living room/dining room type of scent, I think, and more of a bedroom scent. It's warm and comforting and indulgent and, well, kinda sexy.

I havn't tried it yet, but I'm dying to with autumn staring me in the face...but Jabberwocky. It smells autumn/wintery to me. The pine and the orange come out strong and it just reminds me of the holidays I guess :P

Fox

I totally love green or woodsy room scents. My total favorite is Nero, which I have been hoarding imps of. I really need to get a bottle of this so I can indulge in room scenting goodness. Also, I love Jabberwocky, Rome, Hemlock, Vinland and Prague. It's great 'cause I would never wear these scents, yet I still love them and have found the perfect use for all of them.

Neo-Tokyo for a fresh, energizing scent, and Khajuraho for a sweet, my-home-is-a-giant-tent-in-an-oasis kind of vibe. The Scales of Deprivation is my favorite home scent by a mile, it's utterly sexy.

With the air getting cooler, I'm not as fond of 'clean' scents as room scenters. Golden Priapus is now scenting my foyer and is lovely with a touch of vanilla tempering the pine.

Would it be ok in this thread to discuss which burners are good? I've been thinking about locating one, but I have no idea what features to look for..

I haven't bought it yet, but I have the aromastone bookmarked for my next paycheck. It's electric so you don't have to worry about a flame and leaving it alone and no water is required so you won't have to check levels. Supposed to be super easy to clean and pet friendly.

It may not be as pretty or romantic as some of the others but if you are looking for a kid safe/pet safe/fool proof one this is supposed to be very good.

you can see an image of it here

Edited by tindome

I tried Rose Red '05 in an oil ring last night.

Oh...

Mah...

Gaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhwwwwwwwd.

(Actually I think I need to dilute it in some carrier oil. It was really darn strong!)

I burned Horn of Plenty in my burner to draw some money, but the scent was so nice -- warm, cozy, woodsy, just barely spicy -- that I also burn it on the rare occasions that my bank balance doesn't need a boost. It's currently my favorite room scent.

I thought Gluttony would make the house smell like we'd been baking -- but it produced a burnt chocolate smell that wasn't horrible but wasn't nice either.

I'm going to try Jersey Devil around Thanksgiving, for the cranberry scent.

In the bedroom I use Quietude quite often on work nights when we really need to sleep -- the lavender doesn't set of Himself's allergies, and I love the tranquility of the scent.

I agree, Quietude is wonderful in a burner. *Wonderful.*

As for fall scents, my favorites (non-BPAL - gasp!) are The Body Shop's Pumpkin Nectarine (particularly love this one) and Brandied Apple, both of which I've been burning in the fall for about eight or nine years now. BPAL equivalents would probably be Pumpkin Queen, Jack, any of the Pumpkin Patches, Punkie Night, any of the Harvest Moons.

Sign in to follow this