Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
amberbella

The Best Scents for Home, a Room, the Car...

Bumping this old topic because I got a fabulous oil burner in a swap.

Skadi is nice if you can stand to use the precious for that.

Kali is excellent -- it doesn't work well on me but smells great in the car.

Any more ideas?

Three Witches. Honestly that's one of the main reasons I ordered a big 10ml of it.

I was gifted with Jack by the generous Monet - and while it's none to friendly with my skin, I think it smells amazing as a room scent. Mmm-Mmm-Mmmm!!!!!

But I have to be careful as it makes me want to eat anything with a graham cracker crust. WTF? :P

I recently got one of those little car scenters that uses the cotton pads - like the Scentballs for your home - Anyway, a drop or two of Snake Oil is fantastic and certainly won't deplete the precioussss too quickly since that stuff is so intense. The Hesperides is very nice in there too - fresh, woody, apply goodness. I don't think it would be intense enough for the large rooms in my house, so it's nice that I can enjoy it as a "room scent" while I drive around (I like it as a "me scent" too!)

i think any of the seasonal blends are wonderful for scenting homes and cars. in the summer, i would use neo-tokyo or something equally light. texan summers get pretty hot. for winter, i would try march hare and three witches.

My picks would go with Hamadryad, Samhain, Three Witches and Azazel (discontinued, alas) thus far.

I plan on trying to use more as home fragrances in the oil burner of mine like Paris, Oneiroi and Chiroptera. Also, I would like to buy a room diffuser from Nanda to use in tandem with the home fragrances. They have oils there, too, and I recall someone recommending them as good for home fragrances but not BPAL calibre.

I don't have a car, so I haven't any recommendation for that.

-doreen

I made a fragrance spray out of Dia and spritzed the inside of my car with it a while back- it was delightful, and lasted a while.

I just got an oil burner, and have been testing it out- Queen of Spades is lovely and potent. Burning half an imp for 15 minutes has heavily scented my entire house! Entropy is nice too- a little herby and spicy.

-Rae

I realize I'm making this more difficult than I should, but as much BPAL as I have to choose from, I just can't seem to make up my mind. :P

Let's see if I can make the long story short. Bullet-pointing might do the trick.

- Little clay amphorae on black sinew, courtesy of my mother, just waiting to be hung in my new black MINI

- obscene amount of BPAL to choose from

- personal weirdness that makes me consider the clay receptacle acceptable for one scent and one scent only; a new scent would require a new diffuser

- atrocious Texas heat and how that will change the character of the scent has to be taken into consideration

- not sure how I feel about using a Twilight Alchemy blend that I'm working with right now, although I could use all the time and thought with this blend that I can get; since King Solomon makes everyone in my office go into a violent sneezing fit if I have it on my skin, maybe my drive time isn't a bad option

- can hardly wait to pair bpal with one of the other fun things in my life :D

Okay ... suggestions? Please, please, pretty please!! :D

Thanks!

- atrocious Texas heat and how that will change the character of the scent has to be taken into consideration

:nods wildly at this: Oh. Em. Gee. it's hot out here. Not so much a scent suggestion, but have you thought about tying the cord long enough you can take the amphora inside with you during the day?

:nods wildly at this: Oh. Em. Gee. it's hot out here. Not so much a scent suggestion, but have you thought about tying the cord long enough you can take the amphora inside with you during the day?

Good idea, Wrenlet, but I don't want to end up with a non-perfumed workplace by causing sneezes. My car is always parked underneath a tree and with the sunroof and windows cracked; it's even cooler in the car that way than I had thought, because I accidentally left my makeup case in the boot on Friday afternoon and it wasn't melted.

I don't think I can get away with taking more scent than I'm already wearing into the office. With only five of us, they'll figure out who the "smelly" one is pretty fast. :D

I'm not sure I'm going to have any leeway when it comes to the heat. I'm hoping whatever we decide on doesn't change to something truly terrible in the heat.

Probably ought to avoid civet and heavy musks, now that I think about it. :P

Edited by jj_j

I can't really help you out with the heat issue, since we don't really have the problem up here in the Pacific Northwest. Mold yes, baked BPAL, not so much.

Off the top of my head though, if it were me I'd probably go with one of the Panacea - either Moxie or Detox, since I love citrussy scents in the car. If not that, probably something herby like the Apothecary or a tea-scent (just because I adore them) like Sudha Segara.

so many great scents... i tend to respond with the first things that come to mind.

high john the conqueror - a great all around smell.

or

white light - will protect you as you drive

I'm still trying to decide. Imagine that! :P

The list is down to (the asterisks are helping me keep track of what you guys think, nothing more):

- TAL: King Solomon

- Tarot: The Sun

- Black Opal

- Phantasm*

- Embalming Fluid*

- Undertow

- Roadhouse

- Nefertiti

- Snake Oil

- Tamora

- Prague

- Dragon's Eye

- Strangler Fig

- Gaueko

- Panacea: Succor

- TAL: Protection

I'm obviously not getting far with this - and indecision is rarely an issue for me - so I'm grateful for thoughts on what might work out well in spite of the blistering heat. :D

Edited by jj_j

I'd go with something nice and light which wouldn't become overly intense from the heat.

So from your list (of the ones I've tried), probably

- Phantasm

- Embalming Fluid

I absolutely adore Dragon's Eye, but I could see it becoming overly sweet and cloying not to mention STRONG when hit with a lot of heat.

I absolutely adore Dragon's Eye, but I could see it becoming overly sweet and cloying not to mention STRONG when hit with a lot of heat.

Ooh, good point. Lilac and intensification by heat could get ugly.

And it's a new car, with cloth interior. If this experiment fails miserably, I don't want to smell if for the next four years (thus the absence of serious musk on the list! <grin>).

Thanks for the input!

Anytime! Lilacs are pretty much my fave flower, and I refuse to wear Dragon's Eye on hot days because it can get to be too much by the end of the day...

Good luck finding something good to use!

From the list I vote:

Phantasm

Embalming Fluid

Tamora

Just because I think these would be the least likely to go horribly wrong in the heat, and that they would be good atmosphere for driving.

That's the direction I'm leaning, too, pink.owl. I think you nailed it - "least likely to go horribly wrong ... "

New MINI = :P

BPAL = :D

heat-soured bpal permanently imbedded in new mini = :D and :D

(and on the "dear god, I've ruined some bpal" level, not just the "ewww, my poor car" level; i'm not sure which of these two concepts pains me most!)

Let me just say that as good as the car currently smells, Roadhouse was probably not the best idea. My husband gets a speeding ticket every time he drives it - seriously; he's driven it three times and gotten two tickets and a warning - and he'll probably have to do the roadside sobriety test if he gets pulled over in the MINI.

Smells reeeeeallly good, though! :P

Thanks for all the suggestions, by the way. It ended up being more of a "take off lids and sniff until something ensnares you", and it was Roadhouse.

A car diffuser? De Sade, of course! ;-) My favorite car smell is the smell of new leather seats. :-)

Otherwise, I'd suggest something dry and woody -- Yggdrasil comes to mind.

Does anyone have suggestions for room-spray scents? One doesn't want it to be too heavy/sexy/overpowering, and in deference to my suitemates sweet or foody are also probably bad ideas... what does everyone else use?

EDIT: D'oh, duplicate post. :/

Edited by myoubi

Sign in to follow this