Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
amberbella

The Best Scents for Home, a Room, the Car...

Is there anything like that Rio Aromastone in the US?! That would be perfect for our little apartment, and no repeated changing of candles.

Our apartment seems to be a smoker's haven, and I detest having our home smell like an ashtray. Candles usually do the trick, but the costs start to add up when they need replacing(which is all the time). What scents from BPAL would you recommend for a smoker's home?

Would it be ok in this thread to discuss which burners are good? I've been thinking about locating one, but I have no idea what features to look for..

JI, I am sorry that I somehow missed this question back in August! I certainly don't mind if there's some overlap discussion in this thread. There is a thread in Beyond Perfume that's completely devoted to all types of home fragrance-making devices, if you haven't discovered it in the two months it took me to notice your question. :P

....Our apartment seems to be a smoker's haven, and I detest having our home smell like an ashtray. Candles usually do the trick, but the costs start to add up when they need replacing(which is all the time). What scents from BPAL would you recommend for a smoker's home?

March Hare, I think anything categorized as clean, fresh, foresty, or even minty might help with the smell of smoke. You can do a search for those categories in Recommendations. I thought that Euterpe414's suggestions were really good so I am quoting her here:

I totally love green or woodsy room scents. My total favorite is Nero, which I have been hoarding imps of. I really need to get a bottle of this so I can indulge in room scenting goodness. Also, I love Jabberwocky, Rome, Hemlock, Vinland and Prague. It's great 'cause I would never wear these scents, yet I still love them and have found the perfect use for all of them.

I'm looking forward to trying some Mistletoe in in a little over a month - it was meh on my skin, but I bet it'll make a gorgeous room scent (I have a little metal lightbulb-top diffuser now, so I'm itching to try it!)

My lovely soapstone diffuser bit the dust when it fell off my bed, but I have a cute new copper one that I'll try out tonight. One problem I found with soapstone is that it absorbs the oil after a while and so you end up with this sort of generic bpal scent accumulating in it over time that even soaking half a day in vinegar didn't remove completely. Are some of them glazed in some way to prevent that happening? Putting the oil in the vacuum cleaner worked even better than the diffuser at scenting the room, but is somehow a less gentle and relaxing practice.

My favorites so far are Sudha Segara (the room smells like HONEY!) and Jabberwocky (especially in a pot of boiling water, this makes the room smell happy and perky as well as helping that winter stuffiness). Kitsune-Tsuki makes a beautiful cheerful daffodil scent, and roses that don't work on me are often nice in the diffuser. Some scents I find just don't work in a diffuser for some reason. Thaleia, while smelling divine on me, and quite nice in the bottle, ends up kind of sharply floral in the diffuser. The vacuum-cleaner trick produces a truer scent to what's in the bottle -- I'm guessing this is because while it does heat the oil, it mostly distributes the scent through sheer air pressure, so you don't have as much of an issue with the different oils vaporizing at slightly different heats. Given all the recommendations, maybe I'll have to try Neo-Tokyo...it was odd and soapy on me.

I'm giving this thread a little bump to see what's new and faboo in the BPAL world of scents that are good in the car, specifically. I just got a little oil diffuser for my car and tried some Alice -- okay, rather too much Alice, as about half an imp spilled onto the little pad. I'm thinking I'll try Midway next. What have you tried and found effective in that kind of enclosed small space?

I've been experimenting with my oil burner, and Grog is a fantastic room scent. It's warm and eveloping and buttery and mmm... Diluted, it's just strong enough to have a good throw without being obnoxiously strong. Are there any other great "foody" scents that work well in burners?

I'm giving this thread a little bump to see what's new and faboo in the BPAL world of scents that are good in the car, specifically. I just got a little oil diffuser for my car and tried some Alice -- okay, rather too much Alice, as about half an imp spilled onto the little pad. I'm thinking I'll try Midway next. What have you tried and found effective in that kind of enclosed small space?

I got a car diffuser as well and there are definitely a lot of scents that are too strong.

I love Sundew in the car, also Neo-tokyo and Xanthe, but I made Xanthe into a spray parfum and spritzed. Sudha Seghara was nice but it was strong.

Black Forest is fun...it smells like the most expensive pine air freshener ever made.

I still have a baggie full of imps in the console to try, so I'll try to post back here.

*bumping the heck outta this thread*

I just started using BPAL as room scents, I used a tad bit of samhain yesterday, while my skin swallows it up to nothingness quickly, I swear one drop of it had my WHOLE house in a FOG of scent, I dont get scent-induced headaches often, but I did yesterday.

Temple:witches, the same.

Anyone used anything to dilute that works well?? In a burner I mean???

Cake Smash is the BEST that Ive tried thus far!!! OMG good!!

My co-worker, God Love him is a damn chain smoker. When he comes into the office...he stinks up everything! :thud: Any suggestions on how to air out the office w/out drowning/dousing/bathing him in BPAL?

My apologies if this belongs more in the 'beyond perfume' thread but as I specifically want recs I'm thinking it might work here?

Anyway, I would like to use BPAL to scent my house using an oil burner, some wax, and a few drops of BPAL. I know it's doable I just don't know what scents would be best to try this out with and I had hoped some experimenting forumites had given some thought to this already.

I love wearing dark and moody scents but don't want my house to smell like that. Particularly now that spring is here, I'd like fresh, clean, spicy, vanillary, woodsy, citrusy (but that doesn't turn to toilet cleaner smell). I don't really want booze, or anything that smells like cookies or candy, or overly incensey or smoky. Bit iffy about milk or cream (but if it worked well for others then id love to hear about it) And although I LOVE coconut, I don't think I want coconut either. Unless its not a foody coconut and its something quite cool rather than creamy

Please only GC scents. I would feel too guilty using the more expensive scents on a room.

There's also a thread for which BPAL perfumes smell like the atmosphere sprays: here. Which isn't quite what you're looking for, but probably has a lot of suggestions you could use.

I made myself a room spray with Dorian & it is delicious! Citrusy, lightly musky vanilla & occasional wafts of lavender from the fougere - give it try!

Try Whitechapel (lemon) or The Apothecary (green, herbal). Both definitely fall into the clean/fresh category. I've never burned Whitechapel as a room scent but it could potentially go Lemon Pledge on you, I'm not sure. On my skin it's a light, realistic, slightly sugary lemon, and if you're lucky and that translates well to an oil burner, that would be awesome! Worth trying I think. The Apothecary reminds me of the smell of a spa - all kinds of green, planty things crushed up.

The imp of Slippery Poppy Tincture I spilled all over my carpet was quite nice while it lasted. A bit of a happy accident, but there you go!

. . . And although I LOVE coconut, I don't think I want coconut either. Unless its not a foody coconut and its something quite cool rather than creamy

Please only GC scents. I would feel too guilty using the more expensive scents on a room.

Have you tried Eden? It's in the Wanderlust category. It's a cool coconut scent - very green and figgy as opposed to a creamy candied coconut. The green component reminds me of the bright figginess of The Apothecary, which would also be a great room scent.

Yet another place where I am recommending Jupiterian Phoenix. It's very piney, but not in a Pine-Sol sort of way. The cedar and some of the musky stuff makes it smell just like a walk in the woods, and if I had more than a few imps, I'd get a spray bottle of it for my room.

Sign in to follow this