Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Damn you, Aquarius! You KNEW I'd get a second Frimp of Fruitcake when I ordered you!

Imp: Well, the label doesn't lie. It smells like wonderful sweet boozy fruitcake.

Wet: On my skin, the booze kinda disappears and the cake portion smells sweet and edible.

Dry: The Cake disappears, and the fruit that's left smells like Bath and Body Works Gumdrop stuff from the past holiday season. Mmm. Gumdrop-y goodness. (Except better, cause it's BPAL. ^_-)

I like the scent enough to keep the Frimps, but I don't see me wearing it often because it makes me rediculously hungry.

A lovely frimp from the lab...

Imp: First of all--I have to say that I adore fruitcake... the kind that's dense enough that it weighs five pounds all on its own and is deliciously moist and chock full of all the goodies--candied cherries, almonds... that lovely boozy note (the one that peeks out and wave behind enough sugar to give even a dentist nightmares)... and that, my dears, is exactly what I get, heavy on the almonds.

On: There's this faint. dry-wood-almond undertone with a glaze of fruit in it. After a moment, there's a hint of that boozy note, too.

Drydown: Wow, definitely wish that I could get a hold of a bottle filled with this somehow. *drools* There's an interesting faint rum note, one which reminds me of Grog, in this, but there's also a sweet-sharp tang of those sugared fruits and buttery cake all whipped together into it. Like a really, really good kind of fruitcake.

Downside: *is now really really hungry* :P

I, too, looooves me some fruitcake, and Beth's creation doesn't disappoint! Wet, it's OMGBOOZE, sweet & sticky, cheap brandy & almond extract. Once on, this really heavy cake note comes stomping out - it's akin to Eat Me, but browner, like cake that was left in the oven just a bit too long & got nice & dark brown & crispy at the edges. Just when I think it's going to get too overwhelming, a magical candied cherry comes peeking out - it's spot-on, down to the waxy plastic texture. In its final throes, Fruitcake is strangely akin to Bonfire Night - there's that same treacle-&-smoke note, perhaps the burnt raisins at the bottom of the oven :P

Honestly, an imp of this is all I need - it's far too foody & heavy for me to wear on a regular basis. But it takes its place in the annals of the Super-Evocative BPALs... huzzah for Beth!

I got a frimp of Fruitcake in my Stock-Up-On-Midway-Resurrected order, and I was really excited. It smells really good in the bottle - I get a lot of the dark cakey scent. On, I get cherries, apples, almonds, cake, spice...but on me it goes straight to Yankee-Candle-Store-At-Christmas. Nope. Can't wear this. On my daughter, though, it's lovely and light and almost Beaver Moon-ish!!

Yeah! A comfort scent with staying power on me!

In the imp, Fruitcake smells like cake that is absolutely DRENCHED in brandy. Imagine you took an incredibly buttery poundcake and positively marinated it in a bowl of brandy, then covered it all with candied cherries. That is Fruitcake in a nutshell. And the best part is...it still smells like that on me 12 hours later!

The brandy faded somewhat throughout the day (probably good since I was at work, and don't want people to think I came straight from the bar), but I can still smell it on my wrist at 430pm (I applied it before 430am this morning, so this baby keeps on going!)

My boss happened to be eating fruitcake for lunch this afternoon at around 2pm (yeah, we are so busy that we develop weird eating schedules), and I walked into her office to talk with her. I held my wrist up to her nose and said "Fruitcake!" and she got this surprised look on her face and said "You're right!"

So....this is wonderful and comforting and I wish it came in bottles already! SO glad my skin didn't morph this into something weird and icky.

Score another Lab Victory.

Yay! Got this as a frimp with my recent Lab order!

On, wet: Super sweet fruit.

Drydown: Candied fruit. Sticky and sweet.

Dry: Candied fruit.

20 mins later: oh, where did it go?

It's probably too sweet for me...but I'm going to hang on to it for a bit (denial!) and see if it's any different at another time of month, or something...

This is such a cute and wonderful frimp idea! Thanks lab. :P

I can't say much more than, this smells just like real fruitcake. Good fruitcake, because the lab doesn't deal in sub-par pastries.

Wet, there's a lot of sugary, almondy, spicy pastry, with plenty of sweet fruits. Dry, the sugary, spicy quality recedes a bit, and it's more fruit than cake. I smell cherries, dates, raisins, and a boozy quality, with spicy pastry in the background.

It's a great holiday scent and well worth trying if you're a fan of foody scents. Throw is on the strong side at first, but it gets a little lighter once it dries.

At first sniff I was really surprised by how boozy it smelled. That finally gave way to sweet fruit and almond and more of a bakery scent. Well executed if you like foody scents, but overall probably not something for me. It actually reminds me a bit of Black Phoenix, which I love, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had some similar components.

In the imp: fruity and spicy.

Wet: nutty, a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg, cherries, and rum. It smells like freshly baked, GOOD fruitcake!

Dry: boozy and fruity, still with a hint of cinnamon.

Overall: a great foody/boozy scent, this really would make a great holiday scent. I could totally see wearing this at a holiday party.

I don't normally dig cakey scents, so when I tested a friend's imp of Fruitcake, I figured I probably wouldn't like it.

The result was something like this, however:

BOOZE BOOZE fruit BOOZE BOOZE cake BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

And I love booze notes, and the fruit works well on me, and the cake is subtle enough that I can deal. There was just enough cake that wearing it before breakfast made me hungry, but not so much that I smelled like a slab of cake.

I smelled like BOOZE BOOZE fruit BOOZE, and I was happy.

I was hopeful but no.

All I got when opening the imp was CAKE. Wet, somewhat boozy, pound cake. So much so I could still taste it an hour later and could not get the smell/taste out of my head until I huffed some straight eucalyptus.

I had no desire to try it on.

Fruitcake is amazing! I got it as a free imp in an order that I was so happy to recieve on Christmas Eve, and as soon as I opened it i was in love. Delicious cakey-fruity-booziness. A lot of people dont like to eat fruitcake, but imagine it to be the most delicious cake youve ever put in your mouth and thats how BPAL's Fruitcake smells. I wore it all Christmas Day, and have worn it a few times since. Its the perfect holiday scent for me. :P :D

Perhaps I should preface this with that I'm really not that familiar with fruitcake, my only exposure to it having been a nasty, cold concoction that had all the charm of fossilized Jolly Ranchers buried in road tar. I don't recall it having a scent, and the experience left me with no desire to ever make any of my own, so I've never smelled a freshly-made, *good* fruitcake.

That being said...

In the imp: It reminded me of a sort of bread...a dark, moist, spicy bread with a definite sweetness to it.

Wet: A candy-like scent came out, like gumdrops; it also made me think of brown sugar, and molasses, and, yes, booze...perhaps rum. Definitely something sweet.

Dry: It settles down to a more reserved version of those ingredients...sometimes a more spicy element pokes out, but there's always that sweet tone, as well.

Verdict: I like *this* fruitcake. :P It's a very evocative scent. I can't see wearing it a lot, but now that I've used the imp I think I'll justify hanging onto it. :D It's really cute and I'm glad I've gotten to experience it.

In the imp: Vanilla, almonds, and spices.

On: Brown sugar and molasses with cherry peeking through.

Verdict: I can't stand the thought of even eating fruitcake, but if it was anything like this scent I bet things would change! I don't think I'll be wearing it a lot outside of the holidays, but this is definitely a keeper. :P

Yup, I'm one of those sick bastards that LOVES actual, honest to goodness fruitcake... I would eat it year-round.

This is fruitcake. Boozy, fruity, expensive-as-hell to make, nutty, moist, sticky, nomnomnom... FRUITCAKE.

Why not making big bottles naow, pleaz? :P

I got this lovely little imp with my Yule order of El Dia De Reyes. In reality, I hate fruitcake, since I associate it with annoying relatives. The scent in the imp however is to die for. Ripe, lush cherries and smooth cake batter come together and blend like they were made for one another. I smell something like almond, and while my body tends to hate almond scents, Fruitcake has a subtle amount. I really hope the Lab sees fit to release this as a Yule blend.

This is such a warm, comforting scent! In the imp, I smell a hint of the booze, but, once it's on my skin, the booze disappears and I just smell delicious, almond-y fruitcake. I love putting this on first thing in the morning on days when I work at home and wallowing in how sweet and comforting it is! I'd LOVE a big bottle of this! :P

This goes almost pure almond on me, which I think is lovely. It reminds me of an ameretto cake I had once.

I really don't know how often I'd actually wear it though, so even if it was available, I don't think I'd get a big bottle. I had three imps and swapped a couple of them away. I am content with the one imp to wear on special occasions.

Fruitcake is lovely. Boozy, fruity, nutty creaminess. :P It's quite delicious from start to finish with average duration and throw.

It smells quite a bit like a softer, sweeter version of Hellcat on me. I'd buy a bottle if I ran out of Hellcat.

In the bottle: Butter. With a bit of almond and a hint of cherry, and it's really strong.

First on: Apple and cherry with a hint of buttery spice. If it stays like this, this would be one foodie scent I would wear. It's almost like an apple cider type of feel.

Drydown: It's gone all buttery again, just like it smells in the bottle, only now even the fruit scents are gone. It's almost similar to Gluttony, like a maple syrup.

Overall: I liked the middle phase, but foodie scents just aren't for me, and while I don't hate it, I have too many imps and bottles to use already. Off to swaps!

mp: spicy and creamy...much nicer than I thought it would be. Something rich and dark there. Brandy?

Wet: Still creamy, but more fruity and less spicy.

Drydown: still some dark fruitiness, but overall more cakey. I'm torn on this one, as I have MB: Closet for cake-ness.

I got two imps in a swap on-forum, and was so excited when it arrived. The experience for me was much like attempting to eat fruitcake--it looks wonderful on the plate, it smells wonderful on the plate, I want to love it, and then I taste it. :P

Fruitcake smells wonderful in the vial. all almondy, fruity, boozy yummyness. When I put it on my skin, it immediately morphs into (wait for it) a woodsmoke campfire. Huh? And it stays that way. No almond, no fruit, no sweetness. Maybe extremely burnt sugar on a stove burner.

I think I'll keep one imp because the artwork is lovely, and it really adds to my collection. Other than that, I guess I'm gonna have an imp to swap. :D

I really wanted this to work on me because I love the concept. :P I don't know what my skin chemistry is doing, but it turned into cinnamon-spiced celery! What the heck?