Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

My only experience with fruitcake was one bite of one slice many years ago. I bit into the bitterest lump of unidentifiable candied something and that was all she wrote. I have not even entertained the thought to giving it another shot since that time (and that was in the 60's). So it was with great trepidation and no small amount of paranoia that I broke down and tried my imp of Fruitcake this morning. One dab on my wrist and one on the crook of my elbow.

In the imp: Candied fruit- I detect buttery almond too.

Wet: Sniff the pulse point of the old wristeroo and WHOA... I could get tipsy- I smell BOOZE!!!!

Dry: (wrist) Smells like a very heavy wet slice of cake. Brandy, butter, ick. Those bitter pieces of fruit are waiting to attack. I feel it.

(crook of elbow) If my wrist smelled like the inside of my elbow does, I would eat my arm. BOY, is it different! It's apple chunks, cherry and almond swimming in brandy. Heavenly.

ETA: Update on elbow. Several hours later, my elbow smells just like my wrist. I cry. I mourn. No more apple/cherry/almond brandy. Just ick.

Edited by voodoocatwoman

In the imp, this smells just like fruitcake. Yup, that terrifying concoction that's vaguely brickshaped, sits in my stomach like a brick, etc. It smells okay, though. I don't like Fruitcake, the cake, at all, but my fiancé does, and I thought to perhaps lure him with this to the BPAL dark side.

Unfortunately, anything with a booze note in it seems to turn, well, sour and boozey on me. Fruitcake went on nice and buttery, but didn't take even ten minutes to turn sharp and brandy-ish. I didn't like it. He didn't like it. In the imp, though, it was a remarkable re-creation of what it was supposed to be representing.

When I first sniffed the imp of Fruitcake I had received in my order, I must admit that I dismissed it as a novelty scent. Sure, it was fun and impressively accurate, but not something I would really wear.

Before putting the imp in my swap box, though, I dabbed a tiny bit on, out of curiousity.

Turns out that I really enjoy, no make that *love* smelling like a slice of fruitcake! Especially when said fruitcake is cooked up by the Lab, which means that all the ingredients are top-notch: fresh butter, fine almond meal, highest-quality candied fruit, expansive brandy.

The best feature of all? For such an outrageously fun scent, it is actually light and mild-mannered, staying close to the skin. No heavy boozy obnoxiousness here. Eminently wearable. Bravo! :P

Add my voice to those clamouring for Fruitcake to be released! I would buy a bottle without hesitation.

I was lucky enough to get an imp of this and I really like it. It really smells like the name. candied fruit, vanilla and booze,what's not to love? I don't know that I would wear it all the time but the imp will get some use.

Fruitcake, my first review!

Dark buttery cake soaked with expensive bourbon, filled with candied fruits and spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and maybe a hint of molasses? This is a warm scent that stays close to the skin, nothing amps, or becomes obnoxious. I totally wanted to lick my wrist.

When I was wearing this, hubby said "you smell good, I may have to eat you" oooh!

I am so sad – but lucky - that I have an imp… I want a whole bottle! Maybe next Yuletide… pretty please?

Edited by Maidenhell

Yummy, boozy, fruity cake with a dash of marzipan and spice. It’s the same type of spice as in Trick or Treat, which I just love. There’s a buttery aspect here and also a touch of caramel/treacle. It all melts together and smells so edible and delicious.

What a sweet yummy gift for folks from the lab. I’m totally enjoying this and would love to see this reappear as a 2008 Yule.

boozy nuts wet. Dries down to ew. Like you actually rubbed yourself with a fruitcake and it's foodieness is rotting on you.

Fruitcake, while it smelled delicious, did not want to play nice with me. It stung my skin and I couldn't stop sneezing, so I had to wash it off. I tried again a couple weeks later to see if it was a one-time skin chemistry thing, but no. Stinging and sneezing. Which sucks, because it smells like, well, fruitcake, boozy fruit and nuts, heavy and foody. You smell delicious, why are you hurting me? *whimper*

In the imp: A warm baked aroma, and several strong fruits. Sticky and heavy like its namesake, and therefore hurtful to my face.

Apart from my personal reaction, this is a total slice of fruitcake, fresh out of the oven.

um, wow. I normally find foody scents repulsive... but this makes me VORACIOUS.

good god I expected this to be horrible!

mmnnfggfghhhhh whhyyy

If only real fruitcake smelled this good! At our house, fruitcake always ended up getting eaten sometime in January, when my Mom and dog would sit down to eat it :P. I am not a fan.

But this oil, it's amazing! I'm mainly getting spiced cake, soaked in a bit of something alcoholic. Is that a bit of mint? And underneath I'm smelling...those bizarre unrecognizable, processed fruits that fruitcake is made with! How does the Lab do it?

Really nice, and I would probably have to get a bottle if it was ever released.

Well this lives up to it's name. In the bottle it's candied fruit, a hint of coconut and some sort of booze. Wet it's all cherry. As it dries it gets a bit of a citrusy undertone and some sort of spice that reminds me of gingerbread. But it's almost unbearably sweet.

Ah, this really does smell like fruitcake in the imp. I actually like fruitcake, if it is well-made. It's fruity, boozy and cakey, with a hint of cherries.

Tasty.

I like fruitcake and boozy (is it rum?) notes, so not surprised that I love this. I'm not usually for foody, but this is rather enjoyable on a cool fall day. It smells pretty much like fruitcake with lots of dried, candied fruit soaked in rum. Yum!

I pulled out Fruitcake in honor of the Yule update. I know it was unreleased, but why haven't I been wearing this more?? I love it! I smell a similar cakiness to Eat Me, but with dried cherry and booziness, like everyone else has said. It's just the kind of foodiness that I really like. Mmmmm. Thanks for the gift, labbies!

ughh this is absolutely amazing. so fruity and boozy. i don't even know if i could get a bottle of this but wow i want one

In the vial: Citrus, light cherry-coconut

Wet: Sugar, maybe a little ginger. Still a bit of citrus. It smells like preserved fruits, but I'm not sure what kind, and a little bit like gingerbread. Very sugary-sweet, though, like a gingerbread house.

Four hours: Still sugary. Kind of has an anise, fennel, or similar aroma, but it's very faint. It really just doesn't do a thing for me.

I got ahold of a second imp of this and it smelled somewhat different from the first: cakey, buttery, vanilla-ish.

this has a foody sweetness that Eat Me has, luckily without any "burnt sugar" notes that sweet scents tend to develop on me. It's quite sweet and almost syrupy (maybe cherry notes?). the scent is very concentrated.

Hmm, I just realized I hadn't reviewed this!

I still have my lovely imp that I received last year with my second bpal order ever. :P

To me, fruitcake is all cherry and almond. Very very sweet and almost edible!! Unlike the real thing...

In the imp: Fruity...glue..?? Weiirrdd! I've had this stashed away for a while now.

On my skin: Ok, it doesn't smell like glue. Phew! This is cherries, almonds, cake, maybe a dash of cinnamon....Fruitcake! Yup!

Dry: This settles into my skin as a spicy fruity scent. Surprisingly it has great staying power and throw. Usually my skin eats up fruity scents. I think this is probably more on the spice/cake side than the fruit. This sort of reminds me of Christmastime stove top potpourri.

Overall: I wasn't too fond of this one when I first got it with my order but after...how ever long it's been now I've revisited it and think it's a really nice scent...not something I would wear, but really nice for a room scent. It'd be great if the Trading Post turned this into an atmosphere spray!

Once again, gifted from Neyahala, this was a surprise. She'd said that she had two imps, and so I got one. This was a pleasant surprise!

In the imp, it's very...bright. Does that make sense? It's very bright and cakey and fruity. It smells just like the real deal, and unlike the real deal, it's making me hungry...

On me...it's the same as in the imp, really - bright, fruity, cakey, sweet, and oh-my-gawd-I-want-to-gnaw-my-arm-off-y.

I feel SO fortunate to have been gifted this imp, and I'm echoing the many voices on this - I'd TOTALLY buy an actual bottle (or two) of this scent if it was presented in 5 mil form! (It's a bonus that my boyfriend chooses this one when I ask him what I should smell like...!)

In the bottle: Slightly spicy fruit and rich booze. I get a 'baked fruit' sort of smell. Apple, pear, black cherry. Reminds me a bit of the Perilous Parlor, but without the vanilla. Fruity, but not really foody.

Wet: Okay, now I'm getting more cake. This is a nearly-dry sniffie, so I don't have a lot to work with. It's a very soft, fluffy, not overly sweet cake note like in Eat Me. I definitely get a light clove note, and pear is the dominant fruit (and so lovely, that baked, warm sweetness).

Dry: Vague hint of almondy marzipan, almost boozy but not quite. Amazingly, this is not that sweet or foody. It's such a light test that I can't be sure...but I feel like there's a slightly smoky, almost woody note - tobacco?

Later: Here's the vanilla, amping on me even when barely present. It's strong and sweet and creamy, but not the cloying fake kind, thank god. The clove however, is definitely going that way. :\ I also get a dark, boozy note that's sherry or brandy.

Summary: Liqueur-soaked creamy vanilla cake with baked pears, clove, marzipan and a hint of cherry pipe tobacco. Very festive, and a surprisingly wearable, not overly foody scent. It's one of the nicest creamy vanilla scents I've tried.

:heart:

Edited by fairnymph

Finally got my hands on this bad boy and am glad I finally got a chance to check it out!

It smells like fruit and cake. It's not as foody as I would have liked and I don't smell much of a booze note but it's very nice.

bottle: buttery cake

wet: buttery cake with fruit

dry: buttery cake with fruit and booze

later: and it smelled just like fruitcake until that inevitable moment when the butter note changed to celery. as it always does on me. lucky me. :huh?:

This is just about the only "foody" blend I've tested that hasn't made me queasy. It's definitely cake, but a white cake. It doesn't have even the barest hint of the sickly buttery scent that I associate with foody blends (Beaver Moons, I'm lookin at you guys). Lovely lightly spiced fruit with vanilla in the background that gives the cakey impression. I'd call it gourmand rather than foody. It's VERY nice :)