Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
booklover786

Scents to Curb Your Cravings

I have been trying to do a week long detox for about three months now. I need to fast for 24 hours and then I can only eat raw fruits and vegetables for the next six days. (A hard feat for a junk food lovin' foodie like myself.)

I've attempted to do this four times now and couldn't make it twelve hours without grabbing something from my fridge. I read this post about scents that make you hungry (http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=10...angerous+hungry) so I know which ones to stay away from, but are there any that can help me go seven days with just fruit, raw vegetables, and water? Or at least something that will help me control the urge to reach for the cookies on my counter?

Have you ever put on an oil that just made your cravings disappear? Or am I completely insane for even contemplating this idea?

Any information will be very helpful.

I've searched for topics similar to this one but haven't found any so I hope I'm not duplicating any posts.

Thanks in advance.

Grapefruit oil really works for this purpose, according to a study done in Japan recently -- in fact, anything with limonene, but grapefruit has a lot in particular. Also, if I was looking for an appetite suppressant, I'd personally pick something with mint in it. Therefore, I'd say that one of the following would be your best bet:

Night-Gaunt ("yuzu, white grapefruit, and kumquat mixed with the snow-dusted flowers of Mount Ngranek")

Baobhan Sith ("grapefruit, white tea, apple blossom and ginger")

Manhattan ("sheer amber, black leather, white mint, lemon peel, white tea, grapefruit, kush, teakwood and orchid")

Shattered ("white champagne notes, grapefruit, lotus, slivered mint and crystalline aquatic blooms")

Good luck with your detox - I think even your 12 hour stretches have had to have a positive effect.

I don't know if anything can make your cravings disappear completely, but I have read that the smell of peppermint can help decrease your appetite. GRR from the Panacea series, Lick It in any of its incarnations, Pain, Cathode, Nuclear Winter, Tulzcha all are really pepperminty to me. I think Tokyo Stomp and Snowblind could make you hungry, although YMMV - there's lots of peppermint but also all kinds of creamy vanilla goodness in both of them.

Shattered might be the one-two punch you need, grapefruit and mint!

Ah ha! I had no idea they was any type of study done on appetite suppressants. Truthfully, the only thing I've ever heard of dealing with ways to get rid of your cravings was on an episode of Oprah. Dr. Oz was on the show and he said that if you were to hit your head in the right spot and get amnesia then, because you wouldn't have any memories, you're cravings would be gone. That is a tad bit drastic for me, personally, so I believe I'll take your advice and find a grapefruit scent. lol.

I believe that even a 12 hour fast is null and void if it's coupled with four cookies and a pint of ben and jerry's. :D Thanks for the luck, ivyandpeony. I'll try and find a peppermint scent as well. Shattered smelled too much like my mom so I winded up giving it to her, I'll have to see if she has any of it left.

Thanks so much ya'll. Looks like I'm going to put another order in pretty soon. Maybe I'll be able to complete my detox by July of next year. :P

I realize this is an obvious suggestion, but have you tried Detox?

With regard to the regular catalogue scents, I seem to recall a reviewer of Shanghai noting that it helped to curb her cravings.

Best of luck!

shanghai all the way

i have been wearing it at night to calm and relax me while i do my homework,and i have found my late night snack urges have gone away. and i am a notorious snacker

just a note, blends with ginger seem to do the exact opposite of what you are looking for, at least on me. no matter whether they end up smelling sharp and raw or cooked and sweetly spicy, they always make me hungry.

just a heads up

good luck on the detox!

If you use TAL oils, something like Determination would be my pick. That way every time you smell it you also know that it's designed to help reach your goal! From the GC catalog, I'd pick Detox or High John for the same reasons. :P

Also, get rid of the sweets in your house!!! Seriously, it's just making the temptations worse. Give them to your coworkers.

Clarity (TAL) might help - lots of spearmint. For grapefruit, I rather like Croquet. I have Manhattan and can't really smell the grapefruit in there.

N..

I've been trying to figure out what a grapefruit smells like. I have asked a lot of people but apparently they have never been close enough to one to describe the scent. I like grapes and I love fruit (is grape a fruit?) but I'm not sure how well the two would work together. Am I taking the name too literally? I would like to know before I buy one of ya'lls suggestions because if I don't like the scent then I would never wear it, and if I never wear it...well that sort of defeats the purpose of me buying it, don't you think? Can anyone describe what it smells like in simple terms? Thanks so much!

grapefruit is a citrus scent that is pretty tart. i think it smells like those really sour purple grapes with pits in them, off the vine, the taste of them, with a general citrus flavor. if you imagine lemon to smell yellow, orange to smell orange, lime to smell green, grapefruit smells bright pink.

hope that helps!

Edited by neddykapoozle

grapefruit is a citrus scent that is pretty tart. i think it smells like those really sour purple grapes with pits in them, off the vine, the taste of them, with a general citrus flavor. if you imagine lemon to smell yellow, orange to smell orange, lime to smell green, grapefruit smells bright pink.

hope that helps!

That helps a lot! I really like your description. From now on I probably only be able to associate grapefruit with the color bright pink! I love those purple grapes with the pits in them so I can't wait to try a BPAL rendition of one. Thank you, neddykapoozle.