Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
alicia_stardust

Ice Prince Bath Oil

As beautiful and cold as a December storm.

Crystalline musk, winter lily, bergamot, plum, and frozen pine boughs.

Ice Prince is the most amazing winter bath experience I could have imagined. My concerns that the pine would be too strong or prominent were unfounded. While it has its own personality in terms of fragrance, you will love this if you love any of the fragrances in the family of Snow Moon, Skadi, Snow Bunny, Snow Storm...

This has a clear, crystalline bell tone of white musk. It is chilly and ethereal. The bergamot has a warming, bright quality to it and the plum adds depth and "color" to the otherwise frosty, cool aspects. The characteristic ice/snow fragrance surrounds the pine boughs and brings a truly magical winter quality to this bath oil.

A little goes a long way in the bath and it sinks into my skin quickly after I have rinsed off and left the bath. Ice Prince is my favorite of all the bath oils. :P

I so wanted to love this, but all I could smell was PINE with a side of mentholatum. I love lily, bergamot and plum, but I didn't catch a wiff of any of those things. Fortunately, there were plenty of other good homes for it to go to. :P

I may fantasize for the rest of my life that Ice Prince will one day return *dreamy, Tiger Beat-worthy sigh* I would order bottles. And if Beth ever decided to bring back either of the winter bath oils as perfumes, my gibbering and drooling would be shameful.

The Ice Prince is just such a gorgeous winter scent. I smell a lot of pine at first, when I sniff the bottle it's all I smell - but when I dabbed this on the back of my hand and later when I poured a bit into warm water, the pine immediately began to back off. It becomes this gorgeous, sweet white musk with a bit of pine in the background. The plum and lily and bergamot don't stand out as individual notes, but I think they are contributing to that bit of sweetness. I just want to slather it all over myself. The Winter Maiden is pretty girly to me, but I think either sex could enjoy smelling like The Ice Prince.

I can't compare The Ice Prince to anything in my memory - Skadi and Ice Queen didn't suit me when I owned them several years ago, so I don't have a strong memory of them and in general I haven't worn too many of the scents with pine. Slobbering Pine is all pine on me and this is very different. If you were one of the lucky people who ordered it before it sold out, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do - if not and you get a chance to grab some, I would say "Go for it!"

(I reviewed the bath oil experience - the amount I used, moisturization, scent throw, etc. - in more detail over in this thread for those who are interested.)

i got a decant of this as a surprise extra from a decant circle i was a part of...

and being that the decant is imp-sized, i wouldn't think that'd do anything for a bath. however, it is more than enough to test it out for scent purposes.

and i really, REALLY wish i had never opened this little vial of frustration. (cuz i can't get anymore, not cuz it doesn't smell good)

it does smell more like BPAL Mistletoe than anything else, though, to my nose and on my skin... but there is a sweeter note in there, too... i guess the Crystalline Musk & Lily bring the creamy-sweet along with the evergreen scent. this really is pretty...and it doesn't scream "i'm a christmas tree!" in the way i was afraid it might.

Now here's a scent to fall for. I knew Ice Prince would be "the one," so I sprung for it. Of course there's pine, but it's not overwhelming at all. It's a great complement to the icy boughs/fresh snow impressions that I get. The bergamot, lily and musk are gently present, but they're difficult to distinguish - everything just comes together so well. A delicious bath oil. :P

I honestly kept wavering between this and Winter Maiden, but I think I chose right with this one. The pine is not overwhelming as I feared, but lends a nice icyness to the scent. I'm still torn on if I want to use this in the bath, or after-bath, or both.

It cocktails nicely with Lush's Ice Hotel if you like bubbles.

I was so disappointed when I missed the ordering on this one.

But thanks to alhbooks up there ^^^^ I was able to get me some Ice Prince!!! :P

Saw her sale post and pounced on the opportunity to get my paws on this!

I LOVE it. I find it reminds me a lot of one of my fave bpals, Knecht Ruprecht.

There's plenty of pine in there (LOVE the pine), but something slightly sweet behind there as well as minty, almost medicinal.

I only need a few drops of this under the running water and my bath is perfectly scented. The oil works wonders in keeping my skin soft afterwards as well.

It's a killer combo with a Jingle Spells Lush bath bomb too!!!!!!!!!!

Two thumbs up from me for the Ice Prince!

Edited by Myotis

Ice Prince Bath Oil - Let me start off by saying that I'm very sensitive to the scent of pine. It's not a scent I've ever cared for, whether it's the smell of a Christmas tree, a pine candle, a pine perfume oil and now I know that also applies to bath oil with pine in it. Now, it could be that my decant of the bath oil leaked in transit and I got an envelope that was soaked with Ice Prince (along with everything in it) that has turned me off to this scent since it was so overpowering and strong, or it could just be because it's got pine in it. Either way, when I actually put some in the tub with me, I felt like, scent-wise, I was bathing in Pine-Sol. I made the mistake of splashing some on my face, which got in my mouth...and ick, there was pine taste, too! I'm afraid none of the other lovely-sounding notes stepped forward in the least. However, while I'm not too keen on the scent, the quality of bath oil is lovely. For the first time all winter, I stepped out of the ba th without feeling like I had to slather my body in lotion. The oil sunk in and moisturized my skin and softly scented my skin - I actually liked the scent on my skin when it was so incredibly subtle and when I wasn't swimming in it in the tub. So yes, I will be giving more BPTP bath oils a try, but Ice Prince isn't for me purely on a scent basis.

Ice Prince

The scent: in the bottle, it’s a strong, cold pine scent, with a definite twist of Beth’s snow note. It is definitely reminiscent of Skadi, Talvikuu etc.

On the skin/in the bath, the scent becomes very menthol-y, a chilly pine note with an even colder aspect of wintergreen or camphor or even eucalyptus. It’s such a powerful scent, filling the whole house as soon as I pour it in the bath. I keep thinking that I should have waited to bathe in this when i get a bit sniffly-this will work wonders on colds, with it’s fresh and clearing scent, like a winter wind, and combined with the steam from the bath, I’m sure this stuff would be more effective than Vick’s, and with a nicer smell. It also has a skin cooling effect, which is very apparent once I get out of the bath. Maybe there’s mint in here too. The scent, once the initial hit of menthol passes, is very much like Talvikuu or Old Moon or Snow Moon, I can smell the snowy evergreen and something fruity and a hint of floral, but it’s the frozen forest notes that dominate. The oil that remains on the skin after bathing then reveals more of the plum note, and the scent then starts to remind me of the Shivering Boy.

The oil: like Winter Maiden, it seems to dissolve and disperse nicely in the bath. No foam, no colour…just scented bathwater.

The texture: the water feels silky and moisturising but not slippery or oil slick-y. It absorbs into the skin but not as much as the massage oils-this one feels like there’s a bit more extra moisturisation going on. My skin felt very soft after leaving the bath. In fact, I love the smooth sensation of this oil that I used this, post-bath, as a moisturiser.

The verdict: I prefer Winter Maiden to the Prince, as sometimes this scent is a little too mentholated for me, but as a whole, this is another wonderful bath experience-I also love the cool tingle that this stuff gives my skin after bathing. It also will layer very well with other BPAL snow scents.

Some of bpal's pine/green notes smell sharp and awful on me, but Ice Prince seems to have that soft, sweet, dark green, smooth pine-y-ness that makes me think of the blend Mistletoe (which is one of my favorites). In the bath, it smells like Mistletoe with a hint of sweet plum. Mistletoe meets Midwinter's Eve? On my skin afterwards, it starts to smell a little funky. A bit of powdery lily joins the drydown and the fruity aspects seem to turn almost rotten and sickly on me. Still, the pine is holding it all together for me and keeping it from just being powder and sickly fruit.

Oddly, this doesn't smell icy or snowy to me at all, and it doesn't strike me as having a menthol or eucalyptus smell to it either.

I love taking a bath in this, because it's sort of like bathing in Mistletoe :P I like, but don't love, the scent that it leaves on my skin afterwards though.

I've already used up all of my decants of this one, and I'd be tempted to buy a full bottle if it comes back next Yule.

This is all evergreens and snow at first, with a very subtle hint of fruit and flowers. Interesting :P Then the bergamot and plum come out more with the snow mixed in. This is a more aquatic snow, and not the cold note of Snow White. It has more in common with the Snowstorm.

I can't use the lab's bath oils, so this is sniffed only.

Light yellow oil. Sweet and cold. Lots and lots of pine and sticky plum, almost candied - think Midwinter's Eve. I get a hefty dose of the lab's snow/slush note, too. I can't pick out lily, but I do get the impression of strong white florals, sort of hairsprayish - that same general blend of flowers in L'Inverno. No bergamot. The star here is the musk - strong, a bit sweet, and glorious - it's definitely that same note from Yvaine, and it goes deliciously with the plums.

Reviwed for scent purposes only.

Imp: The strongest note I get is the plum followed by the pine.

Wet: Chilly! I love the lab's frozen notes and this one is certianly fascinating. The plums are frozen, snow falls off the pine boughs. There's a warming touch of white (?) musk.

Dry: That chilly note wears off pretty quickly and I don't think I like the dry stage as much as I do the wet one. The plum is still the dominant player but I can now smell the lily and the bergamot over the pine notes. When the frozen note wears off it leaves a sort of... lemon lime pop scent in its place. It sounds kind of weird but it somehow works with the scent overall. Cool and fruity touched with more aggressive, wintery notes.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: I like it. It reminds me a lot of L'Inverno although thankfully I think I prefer L'Inverno. The oil sinks into my skin quickly and is very moisterizing so I'd probably pick it up if the lab ever rereleases it.

Last Yule, I only ordered The Winter Maiden bath oil, because I loved all the notes, and sure enough it was a winner. Later on, I got a decant of The Ice Prince and could only hope that it would return in the next winter update from the Post. But due to my wonderful fairy, I now have a bottle of my very own from the DD trunk show.

In the bottle: The musk and the plum are the top notes, but I can detect the snow note.

Wet: The lily of winter and the bergamot have poked their heads through the snow. The pine and the musk are combining to make a deep note, but lovely at its heart.

The dry-down: The scent of the bath oil is fairly consistent throughout. All the notes have come together in a lovely, soft blend, with the snowy pine boughs as a top note.

I'm just using this as a body lotion oil, but I suspect it would be lovely in a bath. I rarely take baths, preferring showers, but I might have to just try the Ice Prince in a warm bath come winter-time. Like all the other Trading Post bath oils that I have tried, a little goes a long way to soften the skin. It evens softens my elbows, and that's rather amazing.

For layering, I think any of the snowy and conifer Yules would work, esp. if they aren't too sweetly floral. Snow Moon, Cloister Graveyard, and Death of a Gravedigger are other layering combinations that might work well with The Ice Prince.

Oh! This smells like Old Moon! With plum replacing the various winter berries. But the "shiny" evergreen note is just the same-- I don't know how to describe it (I often don't like pine) but it's like a particularly sparkly, magical snowbound pine that crops up only in certain blends. The scent is exquisite.

I tried this as a end-of-shower moisturizer and I feel all soft and sleek now. I would take a vat of Ice Prince if I ever found one.

This is a nice, fresh evergreen with a touch of fruit. At first, it smells kind of like Vicks, but that soon disappears. I find it fades pretty quickly after a bath, so applied the oil directly to my arms. It ends up being a "close to the skin" fragrance on me, like you've just come in from the outdoors after a lovely walk in the snow among evergreens. The plums add a nice touch. I find this more feminine than Winter Maiden. Almost like the names should be reversed. I may spring for a bottle, I like this a lot. :wub2:

Icy evergreen with plum. It does seem a little more feminine than Winter Maiden, but they pair together really well. I bought another bottle this year as it's my favorite of all of the bath oils.

In the bottle I get delicious musk, bergamot, and a hint of sweet floral. It smells round, almost fruity.

When it gets wet suddenly it smells incredible, with supple evergreen and lily over musk. It is both invigorating and soothing.

On my dry skin it's more musk than anything else, but gently so, very snow-like. Faint plum and lily notes remain. This one is exquisite on my chemistry, very wintry but definitely not bleak. I love it!

I found Ice Prince to be warmer than I expected - it was more of a warm christmas candle - I got loads of pine, plum, bergamot. Particularly with the plum, I found that it made it warmer, and lent a very sweet edge to it.

Holy crap it's Ice Queen bath oil. Ice Queen is one of my favorite winter scents of all time, and Ice Prince is the perfect companion to it for the bath. It has that same cool, crystalline musk, frozen (but not overpowering) florals and pine, and sparkling plummy note. It really is very similar to Ice Queen and I'm overjoyed that I can layer these two!

Once upon a time, long ago, when I was first getting into BPAL, Beth created a Yule scent called Skadi. I took a chance on it, and loved it, but it was just too strongly pine for me to wear most of the time. I pouted, and tried other Yule blends over the years. I loved them all, but all were piney. I smelled gloriously like the outdoors, but moreso than I wanted to wear in my day-to-day life.

I was a sad, sad bunny, but I stopped picking up bottles of Yule scents like those.

Then, one day, out of the blue, something possessed me to buy Ice Prince on etsy. I had, thanks to my aforementioned heartbreak, overlooked the Trading Post's Yule offerings as well, but quickly realized, when I first squirted the oil into the bath, how wrong I was.

It's wonderful. Scent-wise, it's in the same family as all the other scents that had previously broken my heart. The difference, however, is the mechanism of application: dispersed in the tub, I get a brilliantly wintery, piney smelling bath, with a bit of the musk underlying it all. When I get out, the scent still clings to my skin, but it's much subtler than it ever was when I applied Yule perfume, and I don't feel as though I am clubbing those around me with PINE LOVELY PINE BUT STILL PINE.

I hope, so hope that this is released again. If not, I'll definitely be buying bath oils in the same family. I love this. So, so, so much.