Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
suileach

Capricorn 2007

Cardinal earth: the essence of control.
Solomon's Seal, pine, amaranth, ambrette, cypress, wild tobacco, and hemp.

My apologies that the first review for this scent is not a positive one. :D

I'm a Capricorn, so I was looking forward to this scent. I am sad, sad, sad that my wonky skin chemistry ruined my own Sun Sign scent on me.

In the bottle: Pine.

On: Yep, I still amp pine. This isn't a wet, sharp, resinous pine, though, like they often are. Instead, it's soft, dry, and barky. It stays that way for the first five minutes, and then...

...Oh no. OH no. Something in this goes all cat urine on me! omfgwhy. It's not simply reminiscent of cat urine, it's *just like it*. I have a cat who used to mark a lot, so I'm unfortunately quite familiar with the smell...this smells exactly like fabric permeated with old cat pee.

I don't know what note is responsible for this, as pine and cypress are the only notes in this I'm really familiar with.

I didn't wash it off, because I had to give Capricorn a chance, cat pee or no. Let me say, this scent is a tease - occasionally the uric acid scent is *gone* and I just get a light, earthy pine...and then the urine comes back and wafts around me (yea, urine got throw). Much like my experience with a wool sweater I have that has an old cat stain that just will not budge.

:P

I look forward to being horribly jealous of hearing how wonderful it is on people who are not me.

eta: It is definitely the fault of my body chemistry and not that of the scent. I put some on a piece of fabric and it smells wonderful! Edited by suileach

Oh, God. Just got this, and am testing a little of it, and it is absolutely fascinating. Pine, yes, but much more than that: the cypress is giving it depth, and the other plants are giving it some greenness, but a kind I can wear. (Yes! :P )

Whatever the deep-but-sweet note is, it seems to be working on me. There's a tiny edge of honey and a tiny hint of something sweet and sour all at once, but it's great with the pine.

I'm so glad I got a bottle of this. And to think I almost didn't, because I have Capricorn issues. :D

In bottle: pine, amberette, and tobacco, something herbal/medicinal and something sweet. I'm not familiar enough with the ingredients to separate out which is which. Wet: The pine is super strong, but the other elements add pleasant nuance, the amberette and more subtle elements soon rising to join the pine scent, turning it soft and sweet. Honestly, I don't remember ordering this and I generally don't like pine colognes since the pine tends to overwhelm. This is really appealing though, and I'm not sorry. As Solstice scents go, it rocks socks. Dry: Turns into a pleasantly sharp, clean, aftershavey scent. I'm really liking this: It's butch without being overbearing, suggesting the classic PNW hiker man.

Edit: Okay, this is seriously made of win. It's still going strong approximately 10 hours after application and still has a pleasant masculine outdoorsy thing going on. The pine and cypress stay present, but blend with the sweeter and more herbal elements to make something I am rapidly falling in love with. I think this will be a staple.

Edit again: It was still going beautifully 14 hours after first application, and I had a hint of it on my skin and pillow when i woke up later. Wow!

Edited by Gwydion

Right away there is this Pine Bark scent, its not just pine~ The Pine only lasts for the first 10 minutes or so then it goes into a Super strong, Dark and heavy fragrance. There is some sweetness also finding its way out but only a little. I'm not sure if this is a floral smell or a resinous one (or both) but it is fascinating and unlike any other BPAL that I can think of except Maybe a little like Mum moon ? The notes gave me no indication of if I would like this blend or not, but I told myself if I only buy one Bpal oil in the month of November it would be Capricorn 2007. This is such a lovely scent and I am so happy it works this well on me. I favor this blend of capricorn oil more than the other version (and I love that one) .

Great work on this oil Beth!

Edited by Nadirah

I don't have my bottles yet (yes plural!) I am reviewing this from memory at Will Call on 11/24/07.

Trees, bark, herbs, leaves, sweetness, and spice. My skin amps spice like crazy, and this is no exception. Typically my husband is charmed silly by fruit filled scents, so I was very shocked by his reaction to this oil on me. He kept grabbing my wrist and huffing :D He said this is MY scent :D

So whats a Gemini to do? Go home from Will Call and order TWO bottles, thats what :P

Yay Capricorn! Finally, my scent :P.

And I am happy to say I love it. It smells strong and woody, and a little resiny to me. It's sweet without being overly sentimental, and strong without overpowering. Very earthy.

bottle: rich, fresh-cut pine.

wet: very strong, sweet pine.

dry: a bit less strong once dry, but still pine.

pine, pine, pine... seems i have the perfect pince scent!

In the bottle I smell pines and resins.

When freshly put on, it does scream pine but after 5 minutes, the pine turns into pine bark and something really solid.....CYPRESS. This really is pretty and of course I smell pine bark more than anything.

As it dries, it really is a mix of leaves, bark, cypress and pine and a subtle (nice surprise) appearance of something familiar to tobacco.

This is more complex than I expected after reading the earlier reviews but VERY well done!! :P

sniffed from the bottle: sugared christmas trees and cream.

on skin: this smells familiar, but i can't place it!

there's a base of creamy-sugary-sweetness with high notes of xmas type greenery... the cypress and pine blend (almost like a Chypre) into a very green scent. crisp, fresh and sweet all at the same time.

beautiful!

The first Capricorn is one of my all-time favorites, and while this is completely different it will certainly take a place of honor in my collection, as an earth-scent lover. Here is a green spin on Capricorn: almost pure White Pine Bark at times, with gritty layers of earthy tobacco underneath. But more than anything, it is indeed that bright, green Christmas Tree pine, glinting and sparkling with earthen crystals. Fresh and grounding at the same time.

It Troll was taken out of his cave, brushed off, given a nice bath in a river of clean, clear cold mountain water, put in a nice suit, shaved and splashed with something nice and fresh, I think we'd have Capricorn. But he'd dirty up that nice suit again in a few minutes, as he played in the pine needles and had a nice pipe of tobacco or -- something!

It seems an obvious choice for me to want a second bottle, but I'm trying to control myself in that regard lately! Oh and it's different from Stranger in Camp -- this definitely has more of the Christmassy white pine bark as opposed to the deep dark resin of the summer woods.

In bottle/imp: Strong, sharp pine.

Immediately on skin: This smells like the quintessential pine scent. It’s sharp and piney without any other notes.

After a few minutes: This is pretty much all pine on me, like sticking your head in between the boughs of a pine tree and inhaling a scent of the needles, sap, and bark. It’s a chilly scent, and unisex in feel on me.

Overall Impressions: If you enjoy pine scents, or are lusting after SN Pine, find yourself a bottle of this one. It’s strong and sharp and definitely unisex.

In the bottle: Fresh pine, but it is tempered by the other notes.

On my skin: This starts out smelling like fresh cut pine and bark. It has an almost sticky pine sap quality to it. The cypress is not far behind and together with the pine they evoke a cold winter forest. That is all softened and warmed by the ambrette and an accent of tobacco.

Despite the crispness of the pine, this is a very wearable scent and it is more gender neutral than most pine scents. That said, try this as a room scent for the month of December. It. Is. Amazing.

I'm a Capricorn so I'm thrilled that Capricorn 2007 works so well on me. Wet on my skin, it's strongly pine and something herbal, a very outdoors scent. Dry, the pine seems to have backed off a bit while the cypress comes through more. I love this and I only wish I had more than just one bottle.

Lovely, lovely pine! This is a very true, green pine scent on my skin, with a clear, almost watery background to it after it's dried a bit (I think that is the cypress, which gives hints of aquatic on my skin). This would be great on anyone, and is absolutely perfect for the holiday season imho. It lasts for a long time on my skin and has a medium amount of throw. :P

One of the prettiest pine scents I have ever tried - and I don't associate the adjective "pretty" with pine. Although it's assertive when it's wet, as pine will be, the pine backs off and Capricorn develops into a gorgeous, cold-forest scent. Despite my assessment of Capricorn as "pretty," it's not girly. I'm sure men can wear it and that it will flatter them infinitely. I am just especially excited because so many scents with mostly masculine elements will become very dry and manly on me, much drier and manlier than I want to smell. I think the ambrette may be the secret ingredient here that is giving Capricorn enough sweetness to balance the manly woods, evergreens and tobacco. Beautiful!

Capricorn is an amazing scent. On me, it starts out bitter and herbal like Vipralabda then morphs to something lemony, then ends up soft, powdery, and a bit spicy. The sweeter final phase lasts a good long time. I'm glad I got the Lab's goat for my last order.

This is just a lovely true sweet pine on me.

I'm sure the other ingredients are adding a layer of smoothness and complexity to this, but I don't really get any of them as individuals.

Smells like when you bring a Frasier Fir into the warm house. would be a great room scent, but it's also eminently wearable (doesn't go sickly sweet or floral or smoky on me!)

In the bottle: A light hint of forest. Sort of reminds me of LUSH's Greenwash soap for xmas this year.

First on: A slightly lemon-y pine scent. Thankfully I can't smell the tobacco too strongly yet, as it always goes sour on me. This one seems it could go either way.

Drydown: This stayed a nice light green herbal on me. Slightly citrus-y and playful, but grounded at the same time.

Overall: Very fitting for Capricorn, though I'm not sure if any of my Cap friends would like it

I wish I'd gotten a full bottle of Capricorn in my latest order instead of bottles of Tanuki and Hony Mone. I always do the wrong thing, lol. I was afraid that the tobacco and hemp in this would overpower everything and turn this into a dark, gritty, dirty sort of scent on me. I think I can pick a bit of earthy, gritty tobacco out in the drydown, but it's not overwhelming on me. On me, this is a very lovely little pine scent. It makes me think of icicles melting off of pine needles. It is crisp, a bit watery, and a bit sweet like pine sap. The pine manages to stay at the center, and it doesn't go too sharp on me. Yay. I think that this would be an awesome room scent, but I'll probably hoard my little half-decant to actually wear from time to time. :P

Because of so many notes that can go funky on me, I opted for a decant. I wish I got a bottle as Capricorn dominates my chart.

Simply put, Capricorn smells like the forest while on a hike. I find it to be a calming and refreshing scent. Woody, but with enough sweetness behind it that I find it lovely.

I'm a Capricorn, but I have a hard time wearing pine scents, because they go all pine-sol almost immediately. I was almost not going to get this perfume, but I had to give it a try. I'm really glad I did.

In the bottle, it's the rich pine of a Christmas tree shop set up outside. It's pine, but more than pine. It's living pine.

On my skin, it mellows and is a rich, solid, earthy scent.

I don't think I'll wear this every day, but it's a very, very good scent.

This is a lovely pine scent with a wash of cold, crisp, icy air.

There's something in the background, giving sweetness and adding depth - the ambrette and resins I think.

Beautiful.

This didn't work on me... I can't remember why exactly, but I believe it went a little sour. But, I didn't buy it for myself, so that's ok.

This smells divine on my husband-- very piney and clean. Not a cold pine, but a fresh and homey pine. Christmas tree-ish, but not so much so that he couldn't wear it year-round. It smells wonderfully fresh on him. :D

The only downside is that the pine fades very fast. It's really really strong at first, and disappears within the hour. I'm not sure what scent (if any) lingers on him, or if it morphs, etc. It's too bad that it fades so fast, but while it lasts, I adore sniffing him.

Added--

Ok, so he complained that it didn't last through a day of work. He's wrong-- I can still catch whiffs on it on him when he gets home. It's just that he doesn't reek of it all day the way he'd like to. One odd thing I love about this scent is the way it lingers in the house long after he's left for work... it still smells like he's standing there. Sweetly spooky. :P

He also specifically mentioned that he liked the tobacco in this. (I'm going to research more tobacco scents for him now.)

Edited by mazikeen

Capricorn - This opens up with a really sharp, strong, and pungent pine scent. I don't normally like pine, but it's used with the warmer notes in this blend (ambrette, tobacco, hemp, amaranth) in a way that makes it interesting and wearable. The warmer notes work together with the pine to create a scent that reminds me somewhat of what you might get if you blended pine, snow, honey, and myrrh together. It's sweet and chilly like a forest in winter, yet has the warmth of sitting by a fire, warming your hands against the flames in that same forest. It's very bright and loud when I first apply it and I can still smell it on my skin hours later, but only when I smell up close, as it does stay very close to the skin throughout its life.

Yup, pine, pine and more pine, a fresh green pine forest! It's a smooth, clean, subdued pine scent on me; not overly strong the way Skadi is. Usually the pine scents last all day on me, but this ones fades pretty quickly. It's quite lovely while it lasts, though. Wish I had more to contribute to this thread, but this is a pretty straight forward blend. :P