Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
grrrlennyl

Katharina

A strong, willful blend with a soft, utterly lovely soul: white musk with a trickle of bright, sharp apricot and orange blossom.

In the bottle it smells sweet and syrupy.

On me wet- it went a little soapy at first. and then started getting hints of apricot. Soapy might be the white musk.

On me dry: white musk, with a splash of light apricot. Blends well with my deodorant (Tom's Apricot.) Very subtle.

Reapplication 6ish hours later (it had faded by the end of the day)- the musk and apricot are now equal. The musk cuts through the apricot sweetness, and there is the slightest hint of orange blossom. The musk is still a little soapy on me, but there is a sort of spicy sweetness to the apricot I enjoy. I was told others smell mostly apricot, so I may be partially nose blind to it (being that my deodorant is apricot.)

This has become my 'the only other scent on me is my deodorant' scent. The two pair really well, and it goes with my 'I did the bare minimum today' aesthetic I occasionally have to break out by necessity.

Edited by fizzbangdangcharade

In the imp: Musky apricot, followed by the orange blossom.

Wet: The fresh, juicy apricot note reigns. The orange blossom is lurking behind it, and I'm sure it will end up taking over at some point, but I hope the apricot note lasts a while before it does.

Dry: The apricot note is still present, but the orange blossom has become a lot stronger, sadly. Orange blossom is an iffy note for me (it can cause headaches or turn to cough syrup on me), and it's too strong here for my liking. The musk note is a lot more prominent now too, so that it's a musky apricot with the orange blossom note right behind it. But sometimes, the perfume-y orange blossom seems so strong to me that I can barely smell the apricot.

Verdict: I'm glad I got to try another apricot scent, but the orange blossom plays too much of a role on my skin for me to truly enjoy this.

In the imp: I gave this a sniff before looking up the notes (it was a frimp) and guessed peaches, but upon looking at the notes I don't think I've ever smelled a fresh apricot before. My family prefers peaches and nectarines and I've only tasted dried apricot dipped in chocolate. Apricot seems to lean closer to nectarine. Anyway, it's mostly that and a bit of musk.

Wet: Am I sure this isn't just Imp? No, wait, it's a bit different. Imp is very heavy on the musk for me (though it says golden it feels very red to me), while this is much lighter, more young, innocent. I think it's the orange blossom more than the difference in musks. White musk is one that can be hard for me to pick up, and it's getting overshadowed by the orange blossom pretty handily.

Dry: The orange blossom is in control now, just a bit powdery, but still letting the apricot and musk through enough to keep it from being headachingly floral.

I am incredibly happy to have been frimped this by the Post. Somehow it wasn't even on my radar, but it's absolutely me. I adore Imp, but sometimes it can be too musky, so I'm glad to have a lighter alternative!

Wet: White musk, with just a hint of a floral in the background. Very, VERY light.

Dry: Musky apricot, with a hint of orange blossom. The scent is still quite light, though; I have to shove my nose against my skin to smell it.

This is really pretty, but I don't think I'll need a full size; the throw isn't great enough, IMO.

Edited by donkehpoo

In the bottle: Apricot and white musk.

On my skin:

White musk leaps off my arm before the scent is dry, which isn't usual for me and musk but is unusual for me and musk so soon. As it dries, the apricot emerges, and so does the orange blossom, keeping the scent from being heavy or syrupy.

As it settles down, the white musk amps more, and the apricot quiets down. I end up primarily with white musk along with a little orange blossom and and even littler bit of apricot.

Katharina ought not to be as nice as it is on me.  The white musk doesn't go soapy or screechy, and the orange blossoms stay creamy and subtle.  So I get a bright, pretty, and sweet apricot scent on a musky ground with scattered orange blossoms.  Very light and fresh and springtime-y, kind of girlish.  On my skin, this doesn't match my interpretation of Kate; it's too sweet, not "willful" enough.  But this might be a great enabling scent, as it is very pretty and unchallenging.  (I prefer Depraved and Carnal for my GC apricot fix.  And the sadly DC'd Grand Guignol.)  

I'm extremely fond of this one! I love apricot scents and the orange blossoms add some zest and warmth to it. Low-ish throw (as far as I can tell, anyway), but great staying power on my skin---I put some on Saturday night and could still smell it Monday morning.

Oh, this is not good.  This is soap with a weird, sour, bilious scent.  It's almost like soap and rotten fruit.  

In the imp, I can smell all of the different parts of this, the musk, the apricot, the orange blossom. Immediately on my skin, I get that yuck, throw-up smell that apricot often does to me for a few seconds, and then this is beautiful. It's really light and feminine, and none of the notes are taking over or crowding the others. It's a subtle scent on me, too, I don't get too much throw. This would be a lovely "every day" perfume.

I have two imps of Katharina, one very new and one from ca. 2015. This review is for the fresh one.

In the imp: White musk and the faintest hint of sharp apricot, a blink-and-you'll-miss-it note.

Wet: Quite sickly orange blossom with a backbone of apricot, and a musk that tends powdery. I've seen a few reviewers mention the sickly smell in connection to the apricot; I get it more commonly from orange blossom. I had a very similar experience with Hunger, and at this point, I'm not convinced orange blossom is a note my skin likes very much.

Dry: A lovely, sweet apricot musk that is worth persevering through the sick stage for.

Fairly long lived at around 10 hours wear time today, with a medium throw (stronger as it dries down than the final product)

Stars: ★★★½

Fresh from the lab frimp!

Wet: I don't like this. It reminds me of summer, sunscreen, sweat, and dried apricots. It's just not doing it for me. Almost makes me nauseous. I'm tempted to wash this off. It's somehow sour and soapy at the same time?

Sorrrryyyy but thank you, labbies!