Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
grrrlennyl

Katharina

A strong, willful blend with a soft, utterly lovely soul: white musk with a trickle of bright, sharp apricot and orange blossom.

at first: apricot. it smells light and...bubbly, like it's carbonated.

on: it smells sweeter than in the bottle, but in a light, fruity way. i can smell the musk and apricot and something lightly floral, which must be the orange blossom. elizabeth sent me this one as a sample and i'm loving it so far.

2 hours later: fabulous. a light, but full, scent. i can smell all three of the components (apricot, orange blossom, white musk) without a problem. they are each equally strong. i'm still loving it. elizabeth knows me better than i know myself.

2.5 hours later: it's too light. i can barely smell it. i guess this will be one i'll have to reapply.

overall: i'm tempted to buy 5ml of this, but i'm going to try a few more "light and fruity" ones out first.

i told the bust scent thread:

it was very fruity wet - it reminded me of those powder sugar covered fruit jelly candies with nuts in em that one of my relatives always give us for christmas. not straight, but after the sugar's been licked off [where you can taste the powdered sugar and smell a huge hit of ripe fruit and depending on the brand, a small bit of nut]. now, it's a soft fruit with a little bit of powder

but, i thought that the apricot was rather overwhelming when it was wet and i don't particularly care for apricots the fruit, so i guess its not really a huge surprise that i didn't care for the apricot in the scent

after awhile, though, it chilled out on the apricot and was good, the floral and musk were more prominant.. but that initial wet *I AM APRICOT HEAR ME ROAR* stage totally turns me off of the perfume.

so, it's one of the ones that ended up in my mom's pile of bpal after i culled my collection of samples.

This perfume is very ROUND: a bubble of peach, a clear bell. There's a rose note there to my nose, but it's managed and tamed by the white musk, some white wine, a dabble of schnappsy booziness. The fruitiness is very clear on first contact, but the perfume dries down to a soft blushing hint of apricot/peach. This perfume is a very sophisticated day scent, the juicyness tempers the musk, keeping the whole out of the "musk" category almost entirely -- lovely.

Tis a wonderful scent. It has very sharp fruity smell. The apricot and orange comes through very strongly with a very slight musky undertone although the musk does come through more on dry down. My usual favourites are floral but this could tempt me into preferring more fruity smells. It is lush and juicy. It sets me to thinking about the summer, about wandering through an orchard of ripe oranges and apricots. I cannot put it into proper words but it almost makes my mouth water. It is without doubt my favourite scent of all the ones I have tried and is definitely going to be ordered in a larger bottle.

Frankly, I like this one. I'm not usually a fan of mostly-fruity scents, but the apricot and white musk are so lovely in this! The orange blossom pulls the scent from deep and mellow to a more sparkling and light scent, and never gets too floral-sweet.

The only downside to this one: when I asked a co-worker what she thought, she said that only teenagers should wear fruity smells - which is part of my usual issue with fruit scents. The catch is, she's twenty, and thought Katharina would be too "young" on her, even. I'm going to have to keep thinking about the impression this one leaves, I suppose.

Final verdict - If I had to pick just one (and thank goodness Beth doesn't make me!) apricot-toned scent, I'd go with Tamora. Katharina runs a close, but sweeter, second place.

Edited by jj_j

I chose to try an Imp's ear of this because my grandmother's name was Katharina and she was most definitely a "strong, willful (woman) with a soft, utterly lovely soul," so I felt it was karma that I had to get this one! Apricots are my favorite fruit and this is a lovely fruity smell that is just yummy. I don't find it to be a "young" fruity scent, it's light and soft but definitely womanly, not little-girly fruity. The musk seems to add a sense of maturity to it.

This was a very "cute" perfume. It seems sweet and young, candy-like on me. I get mostly the apricots - the white musk doesn't come in later. I like this, but it's not my favorite BPAL scent so far. It smells like something else I used to love when I was a teenager.

I love this one. Fresh, ripe, smashed apricots with champagne dumped on top. I'd been trying to find something like this when I was about 17, but my only option was the Body Shop oils and the apricot they had was just too candy-sweet, like those Japanese hard candies that come in individual little flowered packages. Katharina is less sweet but still respectably fruity. This is a young perfume, but I don't think it is a childish one. It is a good early spring scent - it is tiding me over for much-anticipated warmer weather and strawberry season, when all I've got so far are maybe some crocuses and mud. It might be too strong/fruity for deep summer, but it's great for spring.

Reading the reviews here,i didn´t think I would like this one. And therefor I didn´t order it. Beth was so kind to put it as an extra Imp and oh boy I was sooo wrong about this!!!!

Lovely, fresh, crisp, abricot, a perfect scent for spring and early summer when sitting in a park. It´s like a early morning in a meadow full of blooming fruit tree´s.

Hours later a nice minty smell is coming through, It is not in the desciption but it´s quite distinct.

A scent that makes you happy! Weird enough, I dislike fruit scent and fresh scent in general but this is a exception, 5 ml in next order ;-)

Edited by quinkel

In The Bottle:

Club soda with apricot liquer on the back porch. It makes me want to put on an "I like the way it swishes" summer dress and lip gloss.

On My Skin:

This scent is so happy to be out of the bottle. It's dancing around me, warm and playful. I can see how some might construe it as "young" but I don't care. I'll do what pleases me, and it pleases me to wear this.

Later That Day:

I smell like a sunbeam. Gorgeous.

More fruity than musk. I would've liked it, but the whole time I was wearing it/sniffing in imp, it seemed like the fruity musk was seeping through something artificial, such as plastic.

When I first put this on, I was happy that I smelled almost pure, fresh apricot (my BPAL apricot single note has an almost lemony freshness in the drydown that I just love), and I put it all over.

But then after about 30 mins I found myself smelling the cloying sweetness of orange blossom, and it had the same effect on me in Katharina as it did in Hunger -- it made me completely nauseous when I caught a whiff of it! I wonder why orange blossom has this effect on me?

I can tell this is a beautiful scent and I would love to keep wearing it, I just don't understand why orange blossom seems to go so cloying, heavy, powdery, and oppressive on me -- I wonder if it is just a scent association I have from wearing Hunger on rickety buses all over Italy! I could wear this and other orange blossom scents if I could just avoid the bus while I have them on... :P

I've got some White Musk from The Body Shop that I wear regularly, and love, so I figured I'd give this one a try -- and of course, who can say no to a perfume named after one of their favorite Shakespearean characters? Let's just say that the names of these perfumes really tug on my heart strings. (Yes, i bought Viola too...)

In the Bottle

It has a really strong fruity scent. All I can smell is the apricot and I want to say peach, but I think that it's just the orange blossoms meshing with the apricot that make it seem that way. The musk is a very light undertone, although *very* different from my other white musk. Smells good.

Wearing It

When it first goes on, it's so light and fruity. While drying, the fruit scents even out a bit, and the musk kicks in, giving it a really evenly blended smell. This white musk is sweeter than my other white musk, almost vanilla like, and goes so well with the apricot. And the apricot is... odd. I'm so used to other fruit scents, that I'm habitually smelling my wrists, delighted, in order to smell this scent that I so rarely get a chance to smell. It reminds me of the dry apricot circles that I sometimes get for backpacking. And the more it dries, the more the orange blossom picks up and mixes in with the rest of it, for a really smooth, sweet blend. It reminds me in a way of a dreamsicle, but less candyish, and more smooth and warm, more apricot and more springtime. After wearing it for only a half hour, it's faded away a lot. I think this will be one of the scents that needs frequent reapplication. But it's *so* good.

I generally don't wear fruity scents. (Berry scents are okay, but anything else is very untypical of me.) I used to have a vial of "Avalon Peach" perfume, and every time I wore it it seemed out of character for me, despite the fact that it was a pleasant smell. Katharina, on the other hand, is really a lovely smell, almost addictive, and perfect for a light, spring-time day. I'm thinking that I might just have to change my opinion that fruity scents "aren't me," and wear this some more. If I can finally let myself be comfortable in something this light, I'll probably end up getting a 5ml bottle.

ADDED May 17:

I was wearing this again, just the other day, when my boyfriend noticed something about the way this scent changed on me that I would never have figured out on my own -- the white musk turns into a smell very similar to brand new cardboard boxes, just like the kind that you can get to file papers in at Office Depot. I suspect he was able to notice this because he's been moving from place to place so often, and has the scent of new cardboard fresh in his mind.

The smell itself is not a bad one at all, and I have to agree with him -- it smells *exactly* like a freshly folded cardboard box would if it were loaded with the most wonderful tasting apricots ever. Delicious. I still love the smell, and find that I'm becoming much more attached to it -- who cares if it's traditionally me? It's me now! Definitely getting a larger bottle of this.

Edited by Shollin

This is a nice sweet spring/summertime scent, similar to but lighter than Imp, with round ripe fruity topnotes pulled together by the musk. Of the two, I think I slightly prefer this to Imp for its lighter quality. Unfortunately, this is yet another one from my latest batch of orders that has minimal staying power on me; it evaporated well before noon.

In the vial: It smells very sweet, but not overly so. The sweetness smells just right in the vial. Quite possibly an orange scent, but not the fruit...the colour. I guess that might be hard to understand...but, just know that that's, suprisingly, a good thing. :D Anyways...what's interesting about this, is that I'm never really drawn to any scents that have any bright fruit notes, and while this sounded like a really nice scent, I don't know if I ever would have ordered it myself. So, this coming in a gift pass/swap, was probably the only way I'd ever end up owning this. (I actually requested this one for my mom, because she said it sounded like heaven - she absolutely adores orange blossom and white musk. But, I figured I'd try it before I passed it on, of course. :D ) My first impression is better than I would have originally expected. I mean, I don't know if this scent will ever be "me", but I like it for what it is, anyways. Now, let's see what it smells like on...

Wet: Hmm. Still very sweet...the apricot is coming out more strongly now that it's on my skin, but not in a bad way. I think the white musk is warming it up a bit and mellowing it out, so it's not too fruity. It's nice. :P This has softened out to something a bit less brightly "orange coloured" and something a bit more muted - like a nice, earth-toned peach colour. Something indirectly very fruity...like receiving a warm hug from someone who's just eaten a tree-fallen peach or a ripe apricot or two.

After the Drydown: Still very much like it is when wet, but it's developed into a more soft, powdered version of itself. (Not of the baby variety at all...maybe more like a light, powered sugar atop something fluffy.) It's very feminine, and while it smells fairly youthful, I think the musk warms it up to a versatile platform - bringing it to a place that leaves it able to be worn by those of any age. And, as more time goes by, I almost pick up something vaguely "nutty", like Quantum mentioned. Almost like an almond undertone...I guess it must just be the way the combination of the musk and apricot settles on me.

Overall: Overall, this is a nice scent...but, it just isn't "me". I prefer darker, woodsy/floral notes - and, like I said, I probably never would have ordered this on my own, even with the musk in it. But, I'm glad I tried it and, if it had been something that was mine to keep, I might have found myself using up the imp on days I felt like wearing something lighter, but still womanly, and "fruitfully flirty"...this just won't be a bigger bottle purchase for me. Although, it just might be, in my mother's case. :D

Edited by Requiem-of-Roses

i also prefer this to imp. it seems such a golden scent to me, as though i have a slight tan and a splash of new freckles.

i primarily got this to wear to at the office in the spring and summer. for me, katharina is a day scent, but not a childish scent at all. (i'm 28.) i fall into the category of "thought it would be too fruity but the white musk makes it work." and the apricot tempers the musk and makes it more accessible and less glaringly sexual.

ladylatemar mentioned a champagne quality to it, and i agree. it's like drinking a cool mimosa made with apricot nectar

In the vial: Passed this one over several times because it's strong tangy scent in the vial. I could definately smell the plumpness of apricots. My nose didn't like it at first.

Wet: I almost swapped this Imp without putting on my skin because of it's strong scent in the vial. I finally put it on around midnight because I couldn't sleep and figured it was worth a shot. When I first put it on, I was almost sorry that I had; untill I smelled my arm. Then I died and went to Heaven. The strong almost unbearably tangy scent my nose picked up when it was in the vial was gone. In its place was the most sexy, carnal, sink-your-teeth into the best tasting apricots imagineable scent I'd ever hope for. Most people consider this a day scent, but at this point I realized that it was actually an intoxicating night scent in hiding.

After the Drydown: By the time it had dried down I was drunk off the smell, having sniffed my arm so much. It fades a little fast. So I reapplied, & went to wake up my boyfriend. When I woke up in the morning I could still smell it on my skin, faintly. So I got up and reapplied and have been sitting here in sweet bliss ever since.

Overall: My sex drive thanks me for trying this perfume. I haven't woken up this happy in months. & it's sticking. Makes me want to go out and run around barefoot in the sun. Someone said that this was a golden scent; they weren't joking.

I ordered this one for a couple of reasons... I adore the apricot in March Hare and especially Depraved, and noticed from the reviews that both are very prominent in this scent. Orange blossom is also one of my all-time favourite scents, and I'm still on a quest to find the perfect one.

So, I ordered a 5ml of Katharina, and I'm trying it out for the first time today.

In the bottle: Initially, I was disappointed as this smelled exactly like Depraved to me, the same richly fruity, slightly fermentingly decayed apricot scent. However, on a couple of deeper sniff, the musk came through a little more. Still no orange blossom though.

On me: This is definitely a lot lighter than Depraved: the white musk definitely lifts it. I'm wearing this as a daytime scent, and it's hanging around me in a sweet and gentle cloud.

Over time: I'm still not getting an identifiable orange blossom note, but this is beautiful. It's shiny and mellow, like a pool of sunshine puddled on cream satin sheets.

In the bottle: Fruity and sweet… exceptionally sweet. It smells far more like those chewy candy fruit slices than real fruit to me, but for some reason I find myself liking it. This is a very playful blend, it reminds me of a young woman who is still a mischievous girl at heart, and I can’t help being drawn in.

Upon first application (wrists): Whoa, that’s white musk alright! The white musk immediately dominates all other notes in this blend. At the moment, Katharina is smelling rich, smooth, and mild, with a touch of wide-eyed innocence. The sugary quality is still there, but it’s been tempered by the musk, and what remains isn’t nearly as fruity. This must be the soft and lovely soul…

If I sniff my skin directly I can’t catch any sort of distinctly fruity note, but the air around me seems to retain some of the candied apricot scent, surrounding me in a cottony, peach colored cloud. I was happily surprised that my skin didn’t render this already sweet fragrance even sweeter (as it is wont to do). I can catch a slight hint of floral in this, but she’s hiding far behind her sister notes for now.

On the skin (30 min later): Ok, the buttery orange blossom has arrived, adding it’s own slightly sweet odor to the blend, but the entire thing is fading very quickly from my skin. The pastel cloud of sugared apricot has all but disappeared, and the white musk has stepped back from the spot light in order to allow the orange blossom a last hurrah. When I sniff my wrist, my nose registers “sweet, with plush floral, and perhaps the lightest trickle of fruit.”

Final Verdict: The candied apricot scent came climbing back after the first hour or so (on my wrist this time, rather than wafting through the air). The fruit is wetter now than it was before, and is currently standing arm in arm with the gentler orange blossom, giving a sassy, playful edge to the blend. In fact, the entire fragrance almost takes on a tangy note! The white musk has lost much of it’s strength since the original application, but maintains just enough presence to round out the over all effect. Katharina may not become my ultimate BPAL favorite, but I can see her holding her own in the top ten.

Update to Add: While Katharina faded to a barely-there scent within the first four or five hours, she has tremendous clinging power. I woke up this morning and caught her distinct fragrance on my wrist... and this was after a shower, the application of a totally different blend, a meal, and 10 hrs sleep! Amazing!

Edited by Neko

First impression when applied: There is definate white musk in this. 5 minutes after applying I walk into another room to get some food and my mom immediately tells me that I smell good, and asks what I'm wearing.

After a half-hour: The orange flower is coming out more noticably, and boy does it waft, a little dab'l do ya here. I can't seem to stop smelling it on myself at the keyboard. It's a great smell, but I've got to remember not to apply before dinner, otherwise I'll loose the flavor of what I'm eating because I'm being overtaken by Katharina. Other than that... wow, just a fantastic fragrance. Sweet but not sickengly so. The musk balances out the fruit-flower very nicely. I definetly won't be wearing this all the time, but it's got it's own place in my collection already. :P

Now that I've tried Depraved... I love this one so much more! It's a light sweet apricot, and beautiful at that.

Edited by Summerpixy

Katharina is energy in a bottle.

I love that it's musky and deep and at the same time fruity. It really gets things clicking in my head.

This scent was jarring to me at first, in the tube and for the first half-hour or so on my wrist.

It was like someone took an axe to an apricot tree whose fruits weren't quite ripe...freshly splintered green wood, torn leaves, sharply acidic bruised fruits dribbling on the sidewalk.

Thankfully it mellowed down to a soft, sweet, light apricot musk. It's like a young girl's Tinkerbell perfume. I like it, and I can't stop sniffing my arm, but it's not me, a 28-year-old woman with a penchant for wearing black. :P

Katharina ~ Just lovely and working really well on my skin (I'm two for two today!) Apricot is the topnote on me. It's just gorgeous. The orange I can smell in the background. The musk hasn't surfaced on me yet. Beautiful summer scent. I really love this!

I've had this one for awhile, but never bothered to review it since I don't have much to say that's unique...

Exploring the world of BPAL is allowing me to refine and define my tastes as never before, so I've discovered that I generally prefer my florals and fruits with a darker undertone than the white musk provides here. Odd, since the white musk in Juliet is sufficiently dark for me, but I think that has to do with the way that it interacts with the buttery lilies in the blend. This scent is much more light and fresh; it's Katharina at the end of the play. She has finally found an understanding ally among men, her bitterness and rage are gone, and all that is left of her shrewishness is mischief and sass. This is a sparkly apricot champagne with a tiny note of tea, to my nose, giving it backbone. As many have said, it is a lovely scent for warm weather.

Charming anecdote: I ordered an imp of this in my very first purchase, and although I liked it, it seemed only right to give it to the lady who was actually playing Katharina as a street character at the Renaissance Pleasure Faire in southern California this spring. In my second order, I mentioned this in the comments field since I thought it would please the lab folk. Lo and behold, among my freebies in the second order I received a second imp of Katharina, to keep for myself. :P Much love to the lab folk!

I can't make up my mind about Katharina. Sometimes I put it on and it's all apricot, and I can't really deal with that. And then sometimes it's all orange blossom and musk, and then it's just really, really pretty. Which is interesting, because I usually don't like fruity florals at all. But there's something about the sharp bitterness of orange blossom and neroli that appeals to me.

I feel like I can't really post an accurate review of Katharina, because it can manifest in such different ways on my skin. But I will say that there are times when it is absolutely lovely. And I can see where she would be pure happiness and light on the right person...unfortunately, I just can't trust her.