Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Green, for growth, expansion, prosperity, and stability.
Sage, white mint, grey amber, papaya pulp, crushed grass, cucumber, green musk, green tea, and lime rind.

In the bottle this is faint. I detect a touch of sage and papaya, and the barest hint of white mint.

On my skin it is no longer faint, but it is soft. It has a pale "green" fragrance to it without being considered an earthy scent. The papaya is fresh and bright but not overly fruity. Instead it lends itself to supporting the other notes and it gives off an almost spring- or summer-like vibe. The mint is fleeting but I can smell the sage and amber.

The most distinctive part of Green Phoenix is, for me, the grass and cucumber. They are so stabilizing and grounding to me. While distinctive, they also mingle well with all the other notes and create an extremely gorgeous and very green phoenix scent. I really love this one and I can't think of any other BPAL scent that is quite like it.

In the bottle: I want to drink this. No, really. I really want to drink this. It smells like a perfectly made summer cocktail. Lime and papaya and a sweetness that has to be coming from the mint (even though it's not a mint smell). This is summer in a bottle, and even if it doesn't end up working out on me, I'll have to keep it just to sniff it.

Wet: fruity, minty, grassy, green. This couldn't be more green if the oil was actually colored like a crayon. It's a surprisingly lush smell, extremely well blended. I can't really pick out anything specific.

Dry: As it dries, the musk, amber and sage come out, making a lovely summer scent that is very well grounded. This isn't a prissy, girly summer spent flirting with boys and watching movies. This is a summer spent at summer camp, playing tag and hide-n-seek in fields of tall grass, and cooling off by eating lime jello and mint tea.

Edit, Dec. 10th:

Still loving this, but now that it's warmed up a bit both in my house and outside, I'm getting a stronger throw and more of a tea scent. Strangely, this isn't the tea that hates me in Gennivre, but a well-behaved grounding note for the sweet notes.

Edited by Luminara

Sharp, green, and juicy. A touch astringent. Wet, it smells like pulling thick, starchy weeds out of the ground, breaking the stems and having the milky sap inside ooze out.

It mellows out after a few hours, becoming less sappy and fresh-plants-out-of-the-ground. The musk and amber give it a surprising, grown-up depth - it's all happy and summery and green while still managing to be sophisticated.

In bottle/imp: Cucumber, tea, and mint.

Immediately on skin: Grass, cucumber, and tea with a slightly bitter herbal note (the sage and amber together, perhaps?). It’s slightly fruity, but not overly sweet. It’s very cool and refreshing.

After a few minutes: The bitter note is completely gone, and now this scent is very mild, cool, and slightly green and fruity. It’s definitely a tea scent with hints of mint, papaya, and cucumber. The musk is very subtle and blends beautifully.

Overall Impressions: I really enjoy the lab’s tea scents, and I adore this one. It’s very cool and crisp… this would be a great scent to wear on a hot day! The touches of fruity papaya pulp and cucumber add to the refreshing feel, and the musk makes it very wearable.

bottle: cucumber with mint and tea and grass... this is a very wonderful green scent.

wet: cucumber tea. there is also that wonderful sharp green scent that i got in garden path with chickens which is probably the grass.

dry: beautiful. cucumber with soft, sweet grass. this is going to be my spring scent, so i'll need to order up a few more bottles.

Green Phoenix – I thought I was going to dislike this one, as most of the “green” notes are ones I don’t care for, but this is a simply delightful scent. It’s mostly a sweet and fruity cucumber scent, with a hint of depth that I think comes from the papaya pulp and amber. The grass – a note I can’t normally wear – is really low-key and the white mint (another note I can’t usually tolerate) is not really evident except to lend an additional slice of coolness to the cucumber. This is very green, fresh, cool, clear, and really lovely. It’s more of a late-spring/early-summer scent to me, and I do believe I’ll be selecting this one quite often during that time of year. The throw is below average, but the staying power is quite strong.

I fell in love with the bottle art before I opened it (the phoenix is composed of green leaves...gorgeous!)

In the bottle, very subdued, with the papaya dominating, but faintly. On my wrist, a very soft green indeed, with the fruitiness fading into the background and the greeny-gray scents taking over. I can't pick out the mint or the lime rind, but they're in the background somewhere.

Clean, in a late winter tending into spring kind of way...cool but not cold.

I really love this. I may need another bottle.

Tragically, I cannot pick out a single note in Green Phoenix, that is how well-blended this is and how gorgeously and completely my skin loves it. This is so beautiful, light, and fresh with a depth at the same time.

I need a bottle!

In the bottle:

It definitely smells green. Something like grass, and a little lime. And I think I can smell the cucumber a bit, too. I had a "Suffering Bastard" at Trader Vic's a few months ago, and it had cucumber in it and smelled a bit like this.

Wet:

The grass note is the most prominent when I first apply this. I generally have good luck with grassy blends, so here's hoping. This stays pretty true on the drydown, which means that I am mostly smelling grass and cucumber.

Dry:

This makes me happy. Very green and delicious!

straight sniff from imp is my beloved wrigley's juicy fruit gum :P

once applied, grass, cukes and musk with a touch of fruitiness swirl together in a perfect unison...quite lovely!!

Edited by sookster

I don't have anything to say about this one that hasn't been said, but I love it. It's definitely a cooling, springtime, grassy scent. The epitome of green. I don't think I'll wear it much until spring arrives, but I'm planning on snagging a bottle to have waiting for me then. :P

sniffed from the bottle: crisp and green

on skin: none of the notes "jump out" - so i can't smell sage or mint or cucumber or lime specifically. the green tea/crushed grass notes are possibly what i smell the most out of this. so, overall, this is a very lush and green sort of scent.

very little-boy friendly, i think, in that been-outside-playing-and-have-grass stains-all over sort of way.

This is pretty much the same from wet to dry down on me.

It is basically holiday moon on my skin with a touch of mint. Now I love holiday moon so I love this but I don't know if I need two of the same scent. I think I'll try it a few more times and see if I can get the mint to exert itself. It is a lovely clean scent and does make me think of the color green.

In the imp, it was all cucumber and grass and light, clean scents. On the skin, I caught a flash of lime, but then all of the notes sort of melded into something I can only call "green and clean" -- not soapy, just fresh, clean, a little cucumbery. Unfortunately, it faded pretty fast -- I couldn't even smell it after a couple of hours.

cucumber, grass, green tea come out the strongest. so fresh and green but with something a little darker underneath, must be the musk and sage. the mint is just minty enough without being overwhelming (but fades too quickly) and the papaya and lime rind give it just enough sweetness to be really wearable. it goes a bit soapy.. but not really in a bad way. i'm gonna test this one again because i may just have to buy another bottle before its gone.

Edited by arcadelane

Lord, this is delicious. I was initially a bit worried, because I really don't care for sage, but I don't get it at all; I really get the papaya and the cucumber.

There's no difference between the vial and dry down to me. Overall it's a really wet, verdant scent. The grass comes out every now and again, and it really cuts through. Mmmm. Thank god this is LE, or I'd buy six bottles.

It smells quite nice - very green and refreshing. The mint is VERY subtle to me here - the cucumber is much more prominent in this blend. It's a smooth green scent that is very light (almost too light, it's a bit difficult to smell even right after I applied it). If this had nicer throw I'd probably seek out a bottle, but it just doesn't stick around long enough. It's very pretty though and if you love a good green scent, it's worth a try :P

I find this to be a fruity scent. (?!)

Wet, it's papaya and cucumber to my nose, with some other green freshness in the background. It smells like a juicy green smoothie. Honestly, I'd rather drink this than smell like it.

As it dries, the fruit calms down a little bit, and it acquires an almost floral quality.

A fruity, young scent - a little too fruity for me to hoarde, I think. I'm really amping the papaya, and I didn't expect that at all. This is reminding me a lot of the discontinued Victoria's Secret Tranquil Breezes, actually. I'm feeling a little waffley about Green Phoenix, I think it's pleasant but it's not love at first sniff for me.

Ergh! I can't decide if I love this or not! It's sweeter than what I wanted it to be, I was hoping for something a little more green and grassy. It's quite pretty after it dries down, though, and it really is reminding me of the aforementioned VS:TB, one of my favorite nostalgic 'fumes. I will rock this in the springtime.

3.9 out of 5

In the bottle: sweet fresh fruitiness, almost like melon. I think the melon-ness comes from the combination of the sweet papaya and the fresh cucumber. There's also a bit of spicy-tingliness (I'm sorry to abuse you so, English language) that I'm hoping will come out more as some of the other notes when on.

Wet: Oh, THERE comes the grass! It smells like pleasantly sun-warmed grass rather than what I usually associate with grass scent: unpleasant sneezy piles of recently cut grass rife with allergens.

Drying: The notes are actually blending together as it dries -- it's going from individual smells to really smelling green and Springlike. I think I'll actually wear this lots and lots during the drab summer months.

Dry: Oh, this is a wonderful scent. Warm and green and fresh and sweet, it's a dream of everything lovely about Spring.

On me, Green Phoenix is grass, cucumber, and what I think is green musk. It's interesting but not really me.

Green Phoenix

In the bottle, this one is the lush green that I envision for a springtime scent. And here I am trying it on a cold, snowy day. It smells...grassy... If I had to fathom a guess, that's the sage, with just a hint of mint.

Wet on my skin, the grassy smell intensifies with no mint but with just a hint of sweetness.

Dry is just...sweet, but subtle. The grassy smell is gone (thankfully, I really don't like it.)

Overall - refreshing. I wish more mint and lime popped out, but still a nice light scent.

Edited by steelxrose

Very, very, very grassy. Once it's dried and set for a bit I smell a lot of other complex scents, but overall, overwhelmingly, is the grass.

On an odd note, my 9 year old daughter LOVES this scent, and has claimed several imps' worth of my bottle for herself..... LMAO!

As you can imagine, it's all green. Nice, cool and fresh florals without being plant-ish/veg-ish. Unfortunately, it doesn't last very long and is a bit light. For me, it faded into nearly nothing within an hour or two.

I definitely smelt a cornucopia of fruits at the beginning, very well blended, but the most distinctive for me were the papaya and the cucumber. Very crisp and green. The fruityness put me in mind of Fire Pig, but without the spicy ginger/peony thrown in.

However, as it dries down I get more of a 'soapy' kinda smell and now it's almost babypowderish. :P

This isn't working out for me. Which is sad, because this is one of the greenest BPAL scents I've ever smelled.

Green Phoenix, you're breaking my heart!

I get sharp, biting, tart lime over Orbit sweet mint bubblegum. It's slightly salty aquatic and is verging on being a generic ocean breeze type of scent.