Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
chin

BPAL for Costume Parties, Halloween Costumes

Omg what a fun topic!

I'm planning to go as genderswap!Spock this year. My first thought turned to 51, obviously, but in general I think I prefer more...erm...illogical scents so I don't really know what to go for, haha. Anyone have any other ideas? :D

Omg what a fun topic!

I'm planning to go as genderswap!Spock this year. My first thought turned to 51, obviously, but in general I think I prefer more...erm...illogical scents so I don't really know what to go for, haha. Anyone have any other ideas? :D

For some reason Shanghai pops to mind, not entirely sure why! It seems Spock-ish; clean, precise, but with more than just a sleek exterior? I'm awful at verbalizing that sort of thing, I hope I'm making some sense. XD

I am starting to plan a Pumpkin King costume. Not like Nightmare Before Christmas, but a jackolantern mask and some kind of thrift store suit and tie. Who knows what for the scent, I only have half a ML decant of Pumpkin King, so probably not that. Maybe Pumpkin Cheesecake, or something not so obvious. I have yet to try Theme In Yellow, but it could be perfect....

I'm going as a victim from a black and white horror movie. I'm looking for (sniffing for?) a scent to go with grayscale makeup and the sweater with a pencil skirt look.

*for The Pumpkin King, I like Theme In Yellow. It smells like a giant lit Jack O' Lantern...fresh pumpkin with a lit beeswax candle :)

Edited by Dementia66

I have 3 costumes for Halloween!

One is a 1920's flapper

the second is day of the dead skeleton

and the third is Marie from Breaking Bad. My husband is going as Hank.

I am trying to decide what I should wear for bpal....

Jazz Funeral for day of the dead?

Something purple inspired for Marie?

One is a 1920's flapper

GC I think that would be a pretty good choice, but non-gc I would say, if you can find it, La Calavera Catrina for your day of the dead costume, or Sugar Skull or Dia de los Muertos!

I finally decided on a quick and easy Halloween costume: femme!Jack Frost from Rise of the Guardians! I have white hairspray (and a lot of it because damned if I don't have a metric ton of hair), dark jeans and ordered a custom hoodie from Etsy. Any thoughts as to nice, wintry-but-playful pairings? ;)

The only GC scent I can think of is The Old Goblin which is ice and fir cones. One review says it smells like hard, dirty ice.

If you want to try out Yules Snowball Fracas comes to mind immediately. It's snow and dirt.

Jolasveinir the Yule LE is pastries and dirt and frost.

There's Yellow Snowballs, and Pink Snowballs.

There's also Lick it, Suck it, etc for peppermint candy.

Snow Bunny and Waltz of the Snowflakes might be a bit too pretty, but I like both of those a lot.

Frost at Midnight doesn't smell like frost at all, but it's a fairly pretty wilderness and florals scent.

I haven't tried The Shivering Boy, Snowflakes, The Snow Storm, Archangel Winter, Hypothermia, Cold and Colder or Nuclear Winter but those might work too.

I'm going as a victim from a black and white horror movie. I'm looking for (sniffing for?) a scent to go with grayscale makeup and the sweater with a pencil skirt look.

*for The Pumpkin King, I like Theme In Yellow. It smells like a giant lit Jack O' Lantern...fresh pumpkin with a lit beeswax candle :)

I think Creature Feature would work if you could find it. I don't know if the GC Black Dhalia is still available, but if not, maybe Darkness would work.

Gotta be purple for Marie! Purple Phoenix, Bruised Violet Compound (which also works with her being a doctor), White Chocolate and Sugared Violets might be possibilities. The GC scent Marie also has violet in it which is kind of a fun coincidence.

I've been pondering my friend and my Buffy/Faith costume scents some more...I'm thinking maybe Black Temple Burlesque Troupe (sexy, dark, tobacco, a little dangerous) for Faith and perhaps Blood Amber (like the idea of blood + something quintessentially feminine) for Buffy?

I'm planning to dress as Lady Stoneheart this year for Halloween. I want to be pretty authentic to the book, but not gross -- e.g. my hair will be white and grey, but by means of a sleek, gradient-style wig, and I'll be pale and have the bloody scratch marks, but won't try to make my skin look grotesque and bloated.

So, how should I smell?

(BTW if you're a fan of A Song Of Ice And Fire / Game of Thrones and have not read the third book inf full, DO NOT GOOGLE LADY STONEHEART. I can't recall if she's mentioned by that name in book three, so if you've read the first three and the name doesn't ring a bell, you're safe to look it up.)

I have tons of BPAL, both GC and LE (including GC discontinueds), so throw out any name that comes to mind. :D

Any number of the BPAL for Dark Delicacies horror movie blends could work:

http://www.darkdel.com/index.htm?bpal.htm&1

One is a 1920's flapper

For the flapper you might do Jazz Funeral, Belle Epoque (wrong era but still right vibe, depending on how it smells on you), The Robotic Scarab, Juke Joint, Manhattan, any of the Champagne blends or anything with gin. I would personally probably wear Champagne and Opium.

I finally decided on a quick and easy Halloween costume: femme!Jack Frost from Rise of the Guardians! I have white hairspray (and a lot of it because damned if I don't have a metric ton of hair), dark jeans and ordered a custom hoodie from Etsy. Any thoughts as to nice, wintry-but-playful pairings? ;)

Definitely any of the Yule snow blends, or Snow Moon.

Figured I'd hop on this costume thread instead of starting a new one. It's nowhere near Halloween, but my husband and I are kind of Renaissance Faire geeks, and also end up with many other events over the course of a year that require costumes. I'm new to BPAL and we need scents to match our costumes!

Complementary scents for the two of us would be fun. =)

1. Our typical ren faire outfits: nobility, lots of embroidery and gold buckles, blue-green fabric.

I thought maybe Bess, but my dress is a little more Italian renaissance than English, so possibly Catherine? No idea for my husband.

2. Celtic faire outfits: Scottish, not Irish. Still working on his, because I want him to wear a kilt and he's unconvinced. =) Mine's pretty typical merchant-class renaissance, green and black, with a green tartan arisaidh (the woman's version of a kilt, a combination shawl and overskirt), and a stag brooch (my family's crest).

Obviously Glasgow's an option, but any other thoughts?

3. Potential SCA costumes: Byzantine nobility, embroidered silk and pretty jewels.

I'm imagining incense, honey, something rich and sweet. Maybe Eden?

4. Pirate costumes - he's a pirate, I'm a siren (my costume inspired by a musical group I love, Sirena: www.wearesirena.com/)

5. He's got a plague doctor costume - traditionally the plague doctors stuffed their "beaks" full of strong-smelling spices and herbs to ward off the plague.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Figured I'd hop on this costume thread instead of starting a new one. It's nowhere near Halloween, but my husband and I are kind of Renaissance Faire geeks, and also end up with many other events over the course of a year that require costumes. I'm new to BPAL and we need scents to match our costumes!

Complementary scents for the two of us would be fun. =)

1. Our typical ren faire outfits: nobility, lots of embroidery and gold buckles, blue-green fabric.

I thought maybe Bess, but my dress is a little more Italian renaissance than English, so possibly Catherine? No idea for my husband.

2. Celtic faire outfits: Scottish, not Irish. Still working on his, because I want him to wear a kilt and he's unconvinced. =) Mine's pretty typical merchant-class renaissance, green and black, with a green tartan arisaidh (the woman's version of a kilt, a combination shawl and overskirt), and a stag brooch (my family's crest).

Obviously Glasgow's an option, but any other thoughts?

3. Potential SCA costumes: Byzantine nobility, embroidered silk and pretty jewels.

I'm imagining incense, honey, something rich and sweet. Maybe Eden?

4. Pirate costumes - he's a pirate, I'm a siren (my costume inspired by a musical group I love, Sirena: www.wearesirena.com/)

5. He's got a plague doctor costume - traditionally the plague doctors stuffed their "beaks" full of strong-smelling spices and herbs to ward off the plague.

Ideas? Suggestions?

For your typical ren faire outfits, perhaps Florence or Venice? I find that both of those evoke their namesakes very well in an especially Italian Renaissance kind of way. I think Florence is a little more blue/green in its scent (if that makes sense, lol) so it may go very well with your chosen colors!

And for your potential SCA costumes, I'd pick something that is evocative both of the richness of the Byzantine Empire itself and its position as the trade capital of the medieval world. Sudha Segara is my favorite of the GC honey scents. Athens, Defututa, and Bilquis would also be good choices. I also think that an especially spicy scent like Scherezade or Queen of Sheba would convey a certain imperial richness. I've never smelled Silk Road, but it would seem especially fitting if you could get your hands on it! :D

Hmm, so, upcoming convention this weekend and I need to decide on scents (preferably GC's) that go with my costumes-

Marie Mjolnir from Soul Eater: Embodiment of Thor's hammer (for which she's named), somewhat motherly in nature (I thought of Lightning and I also own an imp of Kataniya the Clockwork Woman, and a number of Steamworks scents)

Rao (Tsuzurao) from Okami: *spoiler alert* a priestess turned ninetails fox demon (I was thinking perhaps Kumiho or Kitsune-Tsuki)

Wufei from Gundam Wing: asian pilot of a giant robot guy, very arrogant and proud. (perhaps Shanghai?)

Rao (Tsuzurao) from Okami: *spoiler alert* a priestess turned ninetails fox demon (I was thinking perhaps Kumiho or Kitsune-Tsuki)

Those are both great ideas! I prefer Kitsune-Tsuki to Kumiho in terms of scent, but they're both excellent. Also, I don't think you could get it in time for your con, but Destructive Vagina of the Fox Spirit would be great for this character too! :D

For Paizocon this year I'm going to be doing Mythic Feiya. Feiya's a Chaotic Good witch from the Land of the Linnorm Kings (fantasy Scandinavia) who's a bit socially inept due to having been raised by hags for the latter part of her childhood.

For Paizocon this year I'm going to be doing Mythic Feiya. Feiya's a Chaotic Good witch from the Land of the Linnorm Kings (fantasy Scandinavia) who's a bit socially inept due to having been raised by hags for the latter part of her childhood.

Ha, that description is amusing. Good timing with the release of the Ragnarok scents! I think The Final Darkness could suit her. I know some people get more of an aquatic vibe but for me it's beautiful, mysterious, resinous darkness. Not too inviting but not cold either.

Thinking of witchy scents that aren't overly sultry: The Night Hag Visiting the Lapland Witches, Magus, The Witch's Garden, Troll, Black Forest, Antique, Mage + Chaotic, Urd, Helpful Crone, Dawn: Cernunnos.

Seeing her fox companion Ivanushka could work as well.

Me and my roommate are planning to host a murder mystery party and I am thinking about what scent my character would wear.

The setting is Victorian London and there is a benefit party for the poorhouse, hosted by a well known society lady. All the riches nouveau and exciting people are invited.

My character; Savannah Ferguson is a fairly well known actress at the time. She used to be very shy and rather on the background when not on stage, a bit socially awkward. But she is pushing herself to go to parties and talk to people more and more. On stage is the only place she really feels at ease and she is shining in every play. At least, it was that way until actress Jane Fitzgerald came along. Now that bitch gets the lead roles, only because she is prettier and more aggressive in what she wants. Savannah is also a hopeless romantic person and hopes to meet her prince on the white horse. She admires guys from a distance and hope they take initiative. But when they do, she gets an anxiety attack and shies away.

I know that florals are probably a good choice for this character, but I hate florals most of the time. So If you guys have good ideas, please tell me!

Me and my roommate are planning to host a murder mystery party and I am thinking about what scent my character would wear.

The setting is Victorian London and there is a benefit party for the poorhouse, hosted by a well known society lady. All the riches nouveau and exciting people are invited.

My character; Savannah Ferguson is a fairly well known actress at the time. She used to be very shy and rather on the background when not on stage, a bit socially awkward. But she is pushing herself to go to parties and talk to people more and more. On stage is the only place she really feels at ease and she is shining in every play. At least, it was that way until actress Jane Fitzgerald came along. Now that bitch gets the lead roles, only because she is prettier and more aggressive in what she wants. Savannah is also a hopeless romantic person and hopes to meet her prince on the white horse. She admires guys from a distance and hope they take initiative. But when they do, she gets an anxiety attack and shies away.

I know that florals are probably a good choice for this character, but I hate florals most of the time. So If you guys have good ideas, please tell me!

Hmmm, I'm thinking maybe softer, warmer scents that are a bit gentle? How about:

Intrigue: Black palm, with cocoa, fig and shadowy wooded notes.

Morocco: Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia.

Seance: dry, mellow rosewood, crushed rose leaf and the slightest touch of warm hazel.

Velvet: gentle sandalwood warmed by cocoa vanilla and a veil of deep myrrh.

Ah thank you.

Intrigue sounds very good to me! And I think I have an imp of seance here somewhere as well, I am thrown off by the roses in it, but I'm going to try.

I'm most likely going as Corporate Wonder Woman (or the Wonder Woman version of Secret Identity Clark Kent): black blazer and pants, boots, glasses, and a white button-down shirt unbuttoned just enough to show a Wonder Woman tank top beneath.

I'll probably wear Heroine, or maybe Liberty.

I'm most likely going as Corporate Wonder Woman (or the Wonder Woman version of Secret Identity Clark Kent): black blazer and pants, boots, glasses, and a white button-down shirt unbuttoned just enough to show a Wonder Woman tank top beneath.

I'll probably wear Heroine, or maybe Liberty.

Both of those sound like perfect choices!

I'm going to a pagan wedding being held in a cemetery on Halloween night, so although I won't be wearing a costume, the occasion itself is calling out for me to wear Samhain. Maybe layered with a hint of Graveyard Dirt.