Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
chin

BPAL for Costume Parties, Halloween Costumes

Of Cthulu, R'lyeh, and The Deep Ones, to my nose Cthulu is the darkest.

Hurricane is definitely an option, or Undertow, or Olokun...another more difficult-to-get option that really feels Ursula-like to me is the LE "The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife," which was described as seaweed, honey, white mint, and ambergris. I couldn't smell the mint, to be honest...you could also try to get your hands on Banded Sea Snake.

Of Cthulu, R'lyeh, and The Deep Ones, to my nose Cthulu is the darkest.

Hurricane is definitely an option, or Undertow, or Olokun...another more difficult-to-get option that really feels Ursula-like to me is the LE "The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife," which was described as seaweed, honey, white mint, and ambergris. I couldn't smell the mint, to be honest...you could also try to get your hands on Banded Sea Snake.

Thanks for your input! "Dream of the Fisherman's Wife" sounds interesting and probably something I would wear on a regular basis! I'll keep my eyes peeled for a decant.

So I love Halloween (Favorite holiday, ever!). This year I am part of a haunted house and I am playing a pepper's ghost (mirror and such) the character I was given was a Victorian era woman who was murdered by her husband, the doctor of the asylum. I am also attending a theater Halloween party and will either go as a 1950's housewife or as an angel with a map of the US (Angels in America, get it? Okay, maybe I am the only one who finds that amusing). Any recs? Thanks.

For the first one I would do Ghosts in Love (new Weenie) just for the name, or Santa Muerte, just for the feeling of it, and the scent.

1950's housewife?? Hmm, that's harder...

*bump*

So for Halloween, I'm performing in a belly dance show my dance teacher is putting on. I'm dancing to Sally's Song from Nightmare Before Christmas, and while my costume isn't going to literally be Sally, I'm definitely going for a dancing rag doll kind of look. Any ideas for a scent to complete the costume?

Ave Maria Gratia Plena reminds me of Sally. There's also Danse of Seath and Danse Macabre, Or Belladonna which Sally was rather familiar with in the movie. And Zombi. Cause Sally was sort of a zombie, if you think about it :)

I'm going as an apple (yes, seriously) and I think I may wear either Lamb's Wool or Candy Corn Coated Candy Apple. I haven't decided whether to be a red apple or a green one yet. :tongue:

For rag doll, bellydance Sally I'd recommend Seance or Delirium. :)

For the 1950's housewife/angel I'd say try Grandmother of Ghosts or Lilium Inter Spinas. :D

How about Hymn for the angel/housewife? Or maybe Pink Plastic Flamingo.

For Sally, I'd imagine something with cloth. Boo has linen.

Jessica Rabbit screams Vixen to me -- "The innocence [she's not bad...] of orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli. [she's just drawn that way!]"

One of the costume ideas I'm considering is Ryan Gosling's character (the Driver) from Drive...seems like Appalling Abattoir might be appropriate, especially given that elevator scene. Anything else I should consider?

Halloween costume: Jessica Rabbit. Any ideas on scents, people?

Jessica Rabbit screams Vixen to me -- "The innocence [she's not bad...] of orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli. [she's just drawn that way!]"

One of the costume ideas I'm considering is Ryan Gosling's character (the Driver) from Drive...seems like Appalling Abattoir might be appropriate, especially given that elevator scene. Anything else I should consider?

Halloween costume: Jessica Rabbit. Any ideas on scents, people?

I think something with chrome or oil would be appropriate for Gosling's character in Drive. The Nameless City Drive-In Theater jumps out at me, as do Steam.Goth and No. 93 Engine. Actually, any of the Steamworks blends would probably work well.

Ooh, great idea, getting some of the "mechanic" aspect in there. I don't have any of the Steamworks scents yet, although I have been eying No. 93 Engine. I'll have to see if I can rectify this problem before Halloween...

I think something with chrome or oil would be appropriate for Gosling's character in Drive. The Nameless City Drive-In Theater jumps out at me, as do Steam.Goth and No. 93 Engine. Actually, any of the Steamworks blends would probably work well.

Ooh, great idea, getting some of the "mechanic" aspect in there. I don't have any of the Steamworks scents yet, although I have been eying No. 93 Engine. I'll have to see if I can rectify this problem before Halloween...

Worst case scenario, you could order a few imps from the Lab, but I bet if you search the sales pages here, someone will have an imp or two up for sale. :) Good luck; it's a great costume idea!

I've decided that I want to dress as Effie Trinket for work on Halloween. I couldn't be more different in personality, but I loved the way they costumed her character in the movie! We have a small school and the kids have a trick or treating parade around the building and stop at all the offices, and many of the employees dress up in costume to pass out treats. I have built up quite a reputaton over the years for my costumes. I already have Effie's clothing figured out from various pieces already in my closet and some fabulous shoes I already have. I still need to pick up the right kind of wig. But I'm not sure which BPAL to wear... I think Effie is probably a floral gal, which I am not. I should probably peruse the Fantasy Island thread and see if there are any good suggestions there, but in the meantime I'll throw it out here, too and see if anyone has thoughts...

I've decided that I want to dress as Effie Trinket for work on Halloween. I couldn't be more different in personality, but I loved the way they costumed her character in the movie! We have a small school and the kids have a trick or treating parade around the building and stop at all the offices, and many of the employees dress up in costume to pass out treats. I have built up quite a reputaton over the years for my costumes. I already have Effie's clothing figured out from various pieces already in my closet and some fabulous shoes I already have. I still need to pick up the right kind of wig. But I'm not sure which BPAL to wear... I think Effie is probably a floral gal, which I am not. I should probably peruse the Fantasy Island thread and see if there are any good suggestions there, but in the meantime I'll throw it out here, too and see if anyone has thoughts...

For some reason, Madame Tracy from Good Omens seems to fit.

Also, anything with a cotton-candyish or spun sugar note.

Oh, good idea on the sugar notes! I think I'll wear Sugar Skull, since it fits the Halloween theme and is also sugary and one of my favorite scents! Thanks!

Okay, I'm working on Chandra Naalar cosplay. She's a planeswalker from Magic: the Gathering. Kind of a Steampunk Pyromancer. Here is a pic:

Chandra

I'm not so good with the usual "hot" scent suggestions, but I will go back through them and make an effort. No. 93 Engine comes to mind, but it doesn't seem feminine enough for this girl.

Suggestions warmly (hee!) welcomed,

Tzi

Okay, I'm working on Chandra Naalar cosplay. She's a planeswalker from Magic: the Gathering. Kind of a Steampunk Pyromancer. Here is a pic:

Chandra

I'm not so good with the usual "hot" scent suggestions, but I will go back through them and make an effort. No. 93 Engine comes to mind, but it doesn't seem feminine enough for this girl.

Suggestions warmly (hee!) welcomed,

Tzi

Chimera is the first GC scent that comes to my mind:The fiery, volatile scent of cinnamon, thickened by myrrh, honeysuckle, and copal.

Or from Carnaval Diabolique: Priala, the Human Phoenix: As you come to the final stage, you see a spotlight focused upon a large pile of pitch-black ashes on the center of the floor. A parchment scroll has been tacked to the foot of the stage. It reads:

Now I will believe

That there are unicorns; that in Arabia

There is one tree, the phoenix' throne; one phoenix

At this hour reigning there.

You catch a whiff of burnt cinnamon, and a whirlwind begins to form within the center of the cold pyre. The ashes rise, condense, and coalesce into the dusky form of a woman. She shakes her body gently, tossing her hair, and the ashes fall from her skin. She is perfect, radiant: not a single cinder mars the flawlessness of her countenance. Her body seems to cast a shadow shaped like a triumphant bird, wings outstretched, onto the blank taupe canvas behind her. Her eyes are closed, and her head is bowed; her expressionless face is enigmatic. Her dark eyes begin to glow, and her mouth turns up in a secretive, intimate smile. She throws back her head and extends her arms, and suddenly the scent of smoldering myrrh assails you. Within moments, the woman explodes into flame, and you see that her face is now a vision of passionate ecstasy. The turbulence of the conflagration whips around her violently, and gouts of flame burst from her body, igniting the canvas behind her. She raises her arms in exultation, and through the flames, you see both the outline of her scorched black skeleton and the shadow of the phoenix triumphant.

Three deep, dark myrrhs, smoke, and cinnamon bark.

Edited by Poenari

It's that time of the year again...since this thread was so helpful last year for my Halloween costume (No. 93 Engine for my Drive costume) I thought I'd bump it up and solicit some advice for this year for me as well. :)

A friend and I are doing Buffy and Faith, which has been a costume dream of mine for a while (I'm Faith, she's Buffy). I saw some ideas for Buffy characters in another thread, but most of them were scents I either don't have or didn't work for me. Thoughts? My likes and dislikes can be found in my signature wishlist link; my friend likes amber, sandalwood, musks, doesn't like cocoa or vanilla.

Okay! So I'm going as femme Jayne (from Firefly) for Halloween this year. I have most of the costume together...I just can't decide on a scent! Any ideas? I have a fairly extensive collection of bottles and imps. I was thinking maybe Tombstone or Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener? For that sort of old-west feel. But I'm not sure! Soo, any suggestions? :D

Edited by plainjean

Okay! So I'm going as femme Jayne (from Firefly) for Halloween this year. I have most of the costume together...I just can't decide on a scent! Any ideas? I have a fairly extensive collection of bottles and imps. I was thinking maybe Tombstone or Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener? For that sort of old-west feel. But I'm not sure! Soo, any suggestions? :D

I think Tombstone would be a great choice. Fighter from the RPGs (Leather, musk, blood, and steel) might also be a good choice (or an addition to Tombstone, for a little bit more "hard edge" that I associate with Jayne).

I think you'll find a whole bunch of ideas in this thread: Firefly/Serenity fragrances