Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
chin

BPAL for Costume Parties, Halloween Costumes

I'm dressing up as a flapper for Halloween, and I'm trying to pick a scent to wear that night -- something sexy, something that says jazz and speakeasies, something without patchouli or vetiver, something I own (and obviously something I don't usually wear -- I don't usually go for dark/slutty/boozy scents).

I have Belle Epoque, Bon Vivant and Smut. Which do you all think would be best? Or is there another scent out there that would be perfect that I'm not thinking of?

Of those three, Bon Vivant says flapper most to me. Twenty-One or Swank would also work if you have access to those.

Back on topic, the husband person, who is noncommittal on most of my BPAL, seems to really like Bathsheba. Maybe I'll try him on some other plum scents.

What would you recommend for a 'sexy witch' costume for tonight's Halloween party?

It's a little late to buy some, but this is what I have.

Hexennacht? Morgause?

Edited by kunoichi

Hexennacht is definitely a good try. You could also pull off something like Blood Countess or Devil's Night. Definitely something with opium or a smoke note to give that whole "I spent my afternoon whipping up love potions in my cauldron" vibe. Dragon's Hide is supremely sexy and might do the trick.

Oh. Just noticed you have a possessions like (LOVE THESE! It makes recs so customized!)

Luperci is a good option. It's a dirty, musky, sexy sort of blend. Nemesis may also work. I really like the idea of smelling a bit dirty or smoky, like you've been whipping up crazy concoctions. Perversion is a great option if you want to just smell downright sexy. Queen has a "I am fabulous and if you mess with me I will fuck you up like nobody's business" vibe. Blood Rose is also drop dead sexy and "Come hither so I can admire you."

I think my first rec would be Luperci, but definitely consider the rest if you're not feeling Luperci.

ETA: Right, my question. Going as Brandon Flowers from the Killers. Even before I went as Brandon Flowers every year (he has a lot of incarnations so it's really easy to go as Brandon Flowers every year without ever wearing the same costume) I wore Samhain on Samhain. However, according to a former coworker, Tombstone smells like Brandon Flowers (or at least what he was wearing when she met him). Stick with tradition or go full out creepaholic and wear Tombstone? Decisions, decisions.

Edited by paperrose

Hexennacht is definitely a good try. You could also pull off something like Blood Countess or Devil's Night. Definitely something with opium or a smoke note to give that whole "I spent my afternoon whipping up love potions in my cauldron" vibe. Dragon's Hide is supremely sexy and might do the trick.

Oh. Just noticed you have a possessions like (LOVE THESE! It makes recs so customized!)

Luperci is a good option. It's a dirty, musky, sexy sort of blend. Nemesis may also work. I really like the idea of smelling a bit dirty or smoky, like you've been whipping up crazy concoctions. Perversion is a great option if you want to just smell downright sexy. Queen has a "I am fabulous and if you mess with me I will fuck you up like nobody's business" vibe. Blood Rose is also drop dead sexy and "Come hither so I can admire you."

I think my first rec would be Luperci, but definitely consider the rest if you're not feeling Luperci.

Thanks!

...Now I've got Luperci on one wrist, Hexennacht on the other, Morgause on the back of one hand, and Nemesis on the back of the other! Now to hope I don't get hopelessly confused by the scents, and decide what I like out of them before getting ready for tonight! ^_^

Boo. Lupreci is getting the 'fuzzies' (oakmoss?) instead of sexy .... is there something to layer with it to make it more sexy and less mossy?

Edited by kunoichi

ETA: Right, my question. Going as Brandon Flowers from the Killers. Even before I went as Brandon Flowers every year (he has a lot of incarnations so it's really easy to go as Brandon Flowers every year without ever wearing the same costume) I wore Samhain on Samhain. However, according to a former coworker, Tombstone smells like Brandon Flowers (or at least what he was wearing when she met him). Stick with tradition or go full out creepaholic and wear Tombstone? Decisions, decisions.

What does Samhain layered with Tombstone smell like?

Woot, this is exactly what I was looking for in a thread tonight!

Going out tomorrow with friends. One of my girls is going as a Fang-Banger from True Blood, complete with Fangtasia t-shirt, so I am bringing her my imps of Bite Me and Suck it, to see if they appeal to her. ;)

For my part, my costume is Rosie The Riveter, and I'm a little lost. I may just wear Snake Oil, since my mom always says that it smells like Emeraude which was around during ww2, but was really looking for something a bit more...evocative. Anyone got an opinion?

I may just wear the current fave, Plastic Pink Flamingo, and make myself happy. Wark! :lol:

Woot, this is exactly what I was looking for in a thread tonight!

Going out tomorrow with friends. One of my girls is going as a Fang-Banger from True Blood, complete with Fangtasia t-shirt, so I am bringing her my imps of Bite Me and Suck it, to see if they appeal to her. ;)

For my part, my costume is Rosie The Riveter, and I'm a little lost. I may just wear Snake Oil, since my mom always says that it smells like Emeraude which was around during ww2, but was really looking for something a bit more...evocative. Anyone got an opinion?

I may just wear the current fave, Plastic Pink Flamingo, and make myself happy. Wark! :lol:

What about Phoenix Steamworks? It's got a metallic bent to it that would go well with the wrench!

I'm into anime, manga, and cosplay, and have been struggling with scent choices for those cosplays that I do have or have in the works... I currently own Wanda, Les Bijoux, Peach Moon 2009, Black Dahlia, Akuma, Marquis de Merteuil, Blackbeard, and Pain.

My cosplays (and the mood I try to convey) are as follows...

Made:

Ryuichi Sakuma (Gravitation, Kumagoro costume ver.)-a bubbly, fun-loving guy who has a more sexy, serious side, especially on the stage

Lulu (Final Fantasy X)-strong and silent type, quietly seductive

Major (Hellsing Ultimate)-generally batshit crazy, loves war, proud man, dresses sharply

In progress:

Miss Mio (Ral Grad)-somewhat motherly, protective, refined

Orihime (Bleach, Full School Uniform Ver.)-kind of boy crazy, cute, typical teenage girl type scent?

Fortune (Metal Gear Solid 2)-sadness transferred into hate and anger, wishes for death, military dress

Marie Mjolnir (Soul Eater)-more or less the embodiment of Thor's hammer, lightning motif (looking for a feminine ozone scent)

Wufei (Gundam Wing)-pride, strength, possibly a masculine asian scent

Rao (Okami)-something sinister lying underneath sweet, preferably something kitsune-evoking

Future (Maybe?):

Shinigami-Sama (Soul Eater, non-scaring-kids version)-cheerful and silly, yet wise, powerful, can really get down to business when need be!

Yoshi (Mario)-aww it's Yoshi, you guys! I can't imagine what I'd want an egg-laying reptile to smell like. O.o

If you have the time, any input would be greatly appreciated! ^_^

Edited by madscientistdh

Partly because of this Mario Bar, I think of Yoshi as being a sparkly, light green apple/melon/lime type scent. Maybe Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat.

That actually sounds quite divine! :D Just reading the description for the scent- A sparkly, batty little scent: green tea, melon, mint, lime rind, and champagne grape with lemon balm, mullein, and toadflax- it really kind of evokes Yoshi to me too! I'll have to try it out.

SO, I've got an unusual one for you guys!

You may recall me posting two years ago about suggestions for an anthropomorphic fault line. Well, I'm at that whole anthropomorphization trick again, but this time, the character is a bridge.

Specifically, he is the personification of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. If you're curious, he's the guy on the right in this drawing.

Naturally, my question is what BPAL best suits an insecure anthropomorphic suspension bridge with a bad knee.

I had a couple of thoughts already:

Halloween: San Francisco would be obvious enough, since this is a Halloween costume of a San Francisco landmark. I would go for that no question if not for the fact that a big steel bridge should probably smell metallic.

Phantom Cow of Yerba Buena Island was another thought, since Yerba Buena Island is the Bay Bridge's midpoint; a tunnel through the island connects the cantilever span with the suspension span. But again, I think there should be some metal involved, and not so sure about the milk note in this context.

Tinfoil Hat has nothing to do with San Francisco, but it's both metallic and aquatic on me, which makes the most sense without considering the context of conspiracy theories.

So, what would you say to this? One of those three? Layering? Or is there something else both metallic and aquatic that I should be considering?

Thanks!

I'd go with either San Francisco (a little on-the-nose, but it's a great scent) or Amsterdam. It's not metallic, but a very fresh floral aquatic that really reminds me of the Bay Bridge for some reason - I was wondering what it reminded me of since I tried it the other night, actually!

My friend Jozhik and I are going out on Halloween together. He's going to be Niko Bellic and I've got a gas mask, some industrial safety clothing from the factory my family works at, and some surplus stuff from Chechen war in order to be a crazy Russian Stalker cosplayer.

They're not exactly the kind of costumes you're concerned about smelling pretty in. :lol: But I want an excuse to wear my darker scents and also an excuse to force my fragrances on Jozhik. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe Death on a Pale Horse or Umbra for Jozhik, not sure about myself.

Im not going anywhere fancy or anything, but I'll be dressed up as a witch. Somewhat stylishly ;) I'm weighing these scents:

Samhain (layered with Punkie Night)

Devil's Night (maybe layered with Boo)

Pumpkin Cheesecake

Haunted

Grandmother of Ghosts

Villainess: Cobwebs

SO, I've got an unusual one for you guys!

You may recall me posting two years ago about suggestions for an anthropomorphic fault line. Well, I'm at that whole anthropomorphization trick again, but this time, the character is a bridge.

Specifically, he is the personification of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. If you're curious, he's the guy on the right in this drawing.

Naturally, my question is what BPAL best suits an insecure anthropomorphic suspension bridge with a bad knee.

I had a couple of thoughts already:

Halloween: San Francisco would be obvious enough, since this is a Halloween costume of a San Francisco landmark. I would go for that no question if not for the fact that a big steel bridge should probably smell metallic.

Phantom Cow of Yerba Buena Island was another thought, since Yerba Buena Island is the Bay Bridge's midpoint; a tunnel through the island connects the cantilever span with the suspension span. But again, I think there should be some metal involved, and not so sure about the milk note in this context.

Tinfoil Hat has nothing to do with San Francisco, but it's both metallic and aquatic on me, which makes the most sense without considering the context of conspiracy theories.

So, what would you say to this? One of those three? Layering? Or is there something else both metallic and aquatic that I should be considering?

Thanks!

I might be completely off, but metallic plus aquatic automatically registers as The Robotic Scarab (Polished metallic notes, glossy leather, frankincense, star anise, and thin lubricating oils) in my mind.

---

As for my costume this year.. I was going to get all Steampunk'd out, but I was having trouble gathering the things I needed. So now I'm just going the classic 50s/vintage/kind-of-pinup-but-not-really route. I can't decide what I should wear. I'm kind of leaning toward Sibyl or Sara Pezzini, which are both classy with an edge on me. But I could be really cheeky and just throw on Perversion or something like that. :twisted: I don't know, I'll probably just pick something based on my mood that day.

Edited by plainjean

What about Samara? I know Undertow would fit, but I don't like it very much.

Samara from The Ring? How about J-Horror? :)

Why, that's perfect!

Looks like I'm the first poster for Halloween 2011--woo hoo!!!

I'm making an Ursula the Sea Witch costume this year (from The Little Mermaid--the movie, not the Broadway show), and I'm looking for a scent that evokes her deceptive and soulless spirit.

I've searched the forums high and low for something that is slippery, dark, evil and watery, but just about everything malevolent and black seems to be too dry for my purposes. I was thinking Hurricane might be a good choice just because of the vibe it creates, but I haven't had the opportunity to smell it. Maybe one of the pirate scents? I'm at a total loss. Any suggestions? :umm:

TIA!!

I'm making an Ursula the Sea Witch costume this year (from The Little Mermaid--the movie, not the Broadway show), and I'm looking for a scent that evokes her deceptive and soulless spirit.

I've searched the forums high and low for something that is slippery, dark, evil and watery, but just about everything malevolent and black seems to be too dry for my purposes. I was thinking Hurricane might be a good choice just because of the vibe it creates, but I haven't had the opportunity to smell it. Maybe one of the pirate scents? I'm at a total loss. Any suggestions? :umm:

TIA!!

What jumps out in my mind is The Deep Ones from the Picnic in Arkham collection. Aquatics go soapy on me, but if you can wear them, give it a try. Black algae, drooping seaweed, salty brine, and crushed coral.

Edited by calivianya

TIA!!

What jumps out in my mind is The Deep Ones from the Picnic in Arkham collection. Aquatics go soapy on me, but if you can wear them, give it a try. Black algae, drooping seaweed, salty brine, and crushed coral.

Thank you, Cali. That does sound really intriguing; come to think of it, a couple others in the Arkham collection sound like they might be good contenders too:

Cthulhu: A creeping, wet, slithering scent, dripping with seaweed, oceanic plants and dark, unfathomable waters.

R'lyeh: The sunken city of the Great God Cthulhu. A hellishly dark aquatic scent, evocative of fathomless oceanic deeps, the mysteries of madness buried under crushing black waters, and the brooding eternal evil that lies beneath the waves.

Much obliged; the gears are turning. :D

Thank you, Cali. That does sound really intriguing; come to think of it, a couple others in the Arkham collection sound like they might be good contenders too:

Cthulhu: A creeping, wet, slithering scent, dripping with seaweed, oceanic plants and dark, unfathomable waters.

R'lyeh: The sunken city of the Great God Cthulhu. A hellishly dark aquatic scent, evocative of fathomless oceanic deeps, the mysteries of madness buried under crushing black waters, and the brooding eternal evil that lies beneath the waves.

I recently tested R'lyeh for the first time and then orded a bottle! I really love it, but it is not at all dark or evil on me. Instead, it is a very happy summer scent that smells like a beach: salty air and warm breezes.

But then, I also really like Elli's Song from the Last Unicorn collection wich is described as "The horrors of entropy, death, and decay: desiccated black mosses, vetiver, olibanum, patchouli, and ashes." And my reaction is: bonfire at the beach; warm and comforting. So clearly my brain has some crossed wires.

I recently tested R'lyeh for the first time and then orded a bottle! I really love it, but it is not at all dark or evil on me. Instead, it is a very happy summer scent that smells like a beach: salty air and warm breezes.

But then, I also really like Elli's Song from the Last Unicorn collection wich is described as "The horrors of entropy, death, and decay: desiccated black mosses, vetiver, olibanum, patchouli, and ashes." And my reaction is: bonfire at the beach; warm and comforting. So clearly my brain has some crossed wires.

Ahhh, beach bonfires are the BEST. I may have to track myself down a decant of Elli's Song. Beach-esque is a good enough endorsement for me! It fascinates me that scents can smell so different depending on whom you talk to. It's quirks like that that make me want to try EVERYTHING, but of course that's impossible ...or is it? :P

I've decided for halloween this year I'm going to be a Sailor Scout! Do you guys have any recommendations for scents for the Sailor Senshi? I really don't know which Scout I want to be yet, but here are recommendations I am looking for most!

Sailor Moon (naturally)

Sailor Venus (was my favorite Sailor Scout, but not sure about all that orange for my costume hehe)

Sailor Mars

Sailor Neptune (just a warning, aquatics all go soapy on me)

Sailor Cosmos (why not?)

What say you guys? :)