Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
chin

BPAL for Costume Parties, Halloween Costumes

Yes, yes, I second Graveyard Dirt! I think it's one of the best dirt smells evah. However, here are a couple other suggestions ( and one is hard to find!)

Ace of Pentacles (smells like earth just dampened by the first drops of rain)

Nocnitsa (Also known as Krisky, Plaksy and Gorska Makua, she is a nightmare spirit, the Night Hag of the Woods, who haunts Polish, Russian, Bulgarian and Slovak children during the darkest hours. The only protection against her torments is a circle drawn around a child’s cradle with a knife, or an axe or protective poppet hidden under the floorboards beneath where a child sleeps. Her scent is that of a lightless fir wood, nighttime air, wet forest mosses and upturned earth)

HTH!

eta:

I haz teh dumb

I can haz spell cheque?

Edited by samarablackcat

Ozymandias from Bewitching Brews is a good rock scent--Dry desert air, dry and hot, passing over crumbling stone megaliths and plundered golden monuments, bearing a hint of the incense of lost Gods on its winds. It smells like an Indiana Jones movie.

Black Annis might be too musky for you. It has a definite animalistic scent but there is a great cold, wet stone/lichen note in this.

Djinn: It smells like those cement blocks you make bookcases out of your frosh year of university.

Brimstone: Djinn on fire.

The Isle of Demons: Hot rocks and slightly rotting vegetation.

Awesome! Many thanks for the suggestions, Samarablackcat, Cam, and Paperrose! The only one of those suggestions I've already sniffed is Djinn (the description of it as frosh bookcases made me lawl), so I will go trawling for others. (And I can always keep my fingers crossed that Will Call will be adjusted by a day to fit on the holiday weekend...)

help!

Going as a generic vampire-- renaissance ivory velvet dress with lace and satin ribbon, black velvet hooded cloak, subtle fangs, etc. I have no clue what kind of personality she would have or anything. I do like the idea of her being British and drinking tea.

I have Brides of Dracula, Lucy's Kiss, Blood Kiss, Blood Pearl, Baobhan Sith, Dracul, A Countenance Foreboding Evil, and then a handful of not-vampiric other imps at the moment. :P If I order now, I could get an imp or two (probably) in time for Halloween from other forumites.

Suggestions? I was thinking about Blood, possibly to mix with something else. Here's why none of the things I have now work:

-Brides: TOO florally, not enough of anything else. I'm not a floral person, but it's a Dracula LE, lol. I think it would almost work if something were grounding it (silk road, white rabbit?)

-Lucy's Kiss: Actually, one of the few florals that almost works on me. Still, not grounded enough.

-Blood Kiss: would ALMOST work but something smells absolutely disgusting on me. Not sure if it's the vetiver or cloves.

-Blood Pearl: much too soft and musky.

-Baobhan Sith: Do vampires really smell citrusy? Granted, I smell awesome in citrus, but it's a little cool for almost November...

-Dracul/Countenance: too manly.

Incense in the Cathedral smelled hideous on me. Something bitter in Blood Kiss ruins the whole thing for me, but I don't know what it is. Florals work, if they're grounded/all but drowned out by something else. I'm not entirely sure yet if tea scents work on me or not. Rose almost without fail goes sour and yucky on me. Lavender in high inhalation doses seems to make my chest tight and give me a hard time breathing.

Now for what works:

Citrus! love it. But it's very cool...

Honey-- it smells like female arousal to me. I wish I knew why. =P So it's very appropriate in vampire scents, IMO! I just prefer it to stay in the background.

Aquatics-- they work for me, but I don't know if vampires would smell like one of their few downfalls?

Earthy?-- something in Silk Road smells lovely on me. There's the burst of cinnamon, but then something under it is like this lovely, sweet sort of tea-soil. It smells earthy, but not.

Spices-- Cinnamon at least smells good on me. Bengal was my first and only scent for a while, and I really liked it.

Cherry-- it can work, if it's not too candied. I hate bubblegum and candy and gag at the thought of them.

Vanilla-- better paired with cherry or spices than on it's own. I loathe Warm Vanilla Sugar by B&BW, if that helps.

Odd scents-- Dragon's blood works, but it entirely depends on what it goes with. Leather... not really the greatest on me, but awesome on my boyfriend! Amber I'm not sure I've ever tried.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. I suppose I need to figure out exactly what sort of activities she does and then make a more concise list of what she might smell like.

Edit: I'm going to try to get my hands on Mina Murray and maybe Horreur Sympathetique. They sound promising. Suggestions still very welcome.

Edited by systemaurora

Do you have any O on hand? If it works on your skin you can layer it with Brides of Dracula--it will really help the skin musk and honey in that blend pop.

Florence might work if you want something that suggests the time period. Or if you want that womanly just-clawed-my-way-out-of-my-grave scent (something that I never would have thought I'd said before joining these forums) you could try Zombi or Penny Dreadful. Ululame might also capture that vampiric "earthiness" and it has a touch of aquatic, so it's in your comfort zone.

If you're more tactile and want something that blends with the fabrics in your costume, I think that a cool, distant floral like Veil might perfectly capture the aloofness.

Thanks! I'll check all of those out. And of course, I don't actually have any of them, lol.

The sad part is that Blood Kiss SHOULD work. It's just one tiny little note that ruins the whole thing on me. I want to figure out which note it is so I can make a close substitute!

If I do dress up for Halloween I'll hopefully be going as American McGee's Alice. Does anyone have any good ideas for a scent to go with her? I need something that's sweet little girl gone horribly wrong - I'm thinking Alice layered with something creepy/sinister might work? But I don't know what a good creepy scent would be. . . If I could wear blood notes that'd be a great idea, but blood notes tend to be cloyingly sweet on me.

Any brilliant ideas?

:P

If I do dress up for Halloween I'll hopefully be going as American McGee's Alice. Does anyone have any good ideas for a scent to go with her? I need something that's sweet little girl gone horribly wrong - I'm thinking Alice layered with something creepy/sinister might work? But I don't know what a good creepy scent would be. . . If I could wear blood notes that'd be a great idea, but blood notes tend to be cloyingly sweet on me.

Any brilliant ideas?

:D

From the description, Zarita, The Doll Girl sounds perfect. Likewise Diary of a Lovestruck Teenage Cannibal, should you happen to have either on hand.

If you don't, I think that the same basis—soft, gentle, feminine florals with something sharper or darker beneath—sounds perfect. Perhaps Alice or sometime else soft and sweet, probably floral—Antique Lace? Pink Moon? from the looks of your favorite scents, you may have a few of those on hand. Layered with a touch of something heavy on vetivert, lemon/lime/other sharp citrus, ginger, pepper—Three Witches may go very well with Antique Lace (the sharpness of Casanova is a perfect twist for it too), but will lack a predominant floral component. Perhaps the spices of Three Witches to bring out the spicy carnation in Alice or Pink Moon?

Mostly, I can't suggest specific layering combos because I don't know what you have on hand. It may not necessarily need to be a "creepy" scent; just something sharp and/or dark to layer in and twist the pure sweet creamy florals to something unexpected. But if you provide some hints about the darker/sharper blends in your collection, you may get more responses and better help. :P

Halp!

My costume this year is Jessica Rabbit, but I'm not sure what scent would be best for the character. I was thinking maybe Australian Copperhead (since I cannot do Snake Oil), but since Jessica is so very 40's, I wasn't sure what sort of perfume would evoke that era.

I'm actually not sure what I have that is dark and or sharp as those don't tend to be my favorites. I have a massively huge pile of gc imps and random decants in my "to test" box though. I wonder how Brom Bones and Antique Lace and/or Alice would work. I'll try out the Three Witches+ those also to see which I like more.

Looking through my "enable the men in my life" pile, I have: Hastur, Crowley, Brom Bones, Highwayman, Western Diamondback . . . Think any of those would work?

I'm trying to recall if I have any sharp citrus blends but all that's coming to mind is Te Po, which wouldn't really work. If I still have Schrodinger's Cat that was CIIIITRUS on me, so it could be worth a try.

I'll have to dig through my "to try" pile some more.

Oh.. I still have Hand of Glory, which isn't sharp, but is kind of creepy, and might complement Alice or Antique Lace. . .

Any more ideas?

I'm going to be wearing a sexy red riding hood outfit for a costume party & I'm not sure what BPAL to wear, sexy & foresty or sweet & sexy?

I'm going to be wearing a sexy red riding hood outfit for a costume party & I'm not sure what BPAL to wear, sexy & foresty or sweet & sexy?

Do you have any Hexennacht 08 on hand? The combo of skin musk, pine, incense and the touch of smoke and flora make it smell like you've just been up to some very naughty things in the woods. Plus it's got a hint of sweetness that makes it a bit innocent. I cannot overemphasize how AWESOME Hex 08 is.

Otherwise, go for sweet and sexy. Maybe Lolita, Jailbait or Euphronsyne? Les Bijoux, Eos and Brides of Dracula all have a sort of post-coital-lingering-traces-of-perfume-on-slick-skin quality to them.

It's not Halloween anymore, but I will be playing the role of The Ice Queen later this month. I will be outdoors, so I'm looking for something that has a lot of throw.

Snow/ice/aquatic scents usually don't work on me, and I don't have any on hand, so I was thinking of Nocnitsa because a pine forest always makes me think of cold mountaintops. I'm looking for a scent that evokes coldness or harshness.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Okay, I'll go. :)

I'm going as a roller derby girl for halloween (yeah, I know it's passe, but whatever). I'll be the punky, sassy kind, not the sporty, shiny kind.

I need a scent that's powerfully, brutally feminine and edgy. And maybe sweaty and bloody. :) I don't have a lot of florals, but I have gobs of resins and foods. I'm not sure why, but I keep thinking of Doc Constantine's Sassafras Strengthener. Perhaps layered with something else?

Maybe layered with Doc Constantine from the Carnaval? It's got that smoky/sweaty/crazy thing going on. You could also try something with a metal or blood note. Blood Moon (05 or 08) would be good?

Sadly, I have no Doc Constantine and can't get it in time. It's been on my radar for awhile though. Or Blood Moon. (Costume party is this weekend).

I had not thought about metal or smoke notes. Hmmmm. I think I have a Metal Phoenix decant and plenty of smoky scents to think about.

Thanks! :D

What would a vampire slayer wear? *grin* I mean, depending on what she was like, she'd wear ANYTHING, but in the forumite's minds, when they think of a lady, in army boots and a skirt, armed with stake and shovel, what does she smell like, or what does her perfume smell like, as she smiles intently at you?

What a fun thread!

I'm not sure that there's a scent very appropriate for my costume but...

My geeky friends and I have been obsessed with Star Trek the past few months, and so I'm going to my friend's Halloween/birthday (best holiday to be born on y/y?) part as a genderswapped!Spock. Do you think there's anything even remotely appropriate?

Omg, I just realized that I've been so focused on the costume (and working with a neighbor on costuming 15 people in a themed thing as well as decorating one of the local bars) that I hadn't even considered what BPAL to wear!!! <gasp!>

Going to be a vampire. A tall one, with platform boots, corset top, velvet jacket, fishnets and black skirt. Likely *moderately* short. (aka just above knee, consider my age after all. And all the ones I have are wrong or too big, so I'll whip one up or maybe even go with a long red taffeta skirt. We'll see. Oh yeah, and bat glasses as a matter of disguise...) Oh, and a long black wig with 2 white streaks. Initial idea is to wear Nanny Ashtoreth, as it's my go-to sexy scent, but I'm totally open to suggestions. (I'm an incense, leather, wood, neutral or guy-type scent person, if that helps.)

Sadly, I have no Doc Constantine and can't get it in time. It's been on my radar for awhile though. Or Blood Moon. (Costume party is this weekend).

Oh crap! I have Doc Constantine. This weekend though, huh? Will try anyway. Fingers crossed. (Have a backup plan though! :P )

What would a vampire slayer wear? *grin* I mean, depending on what she was like, she'd wear ANYTHING, but in the forumite's minds, when they think of a lady, in army boots and a skirt, armed with stake and shovel, what does she smell like, or what does her perfume smell like, as she smiles intently at you?

Vampire slayer? Oh no! (I'm going as a vampire! LOL) Seems like something with a dirt note maybe. Dirt and blood. Hey, it's messy work clearing out these dang vampires(!) ;) Do these notes ring a bell for anyone? Scents that are just randomly popping to mind are War (Red ginger, black spices, patchouli, honeysuckle, and three blood-soaked red musks.) or maybe Tintagel?? (The scent of a castle's great hall in the midst of joyous feasting. Spicy mulled wine flowing through the musky heat, warm leather and bright clash of armor, the damp branches of Cornish hawthorn, blackthorn, juniper, English elm and bayberry, and the magical tingle of dragon's blood resin.) Not sure why that one's coming to mind. Probably other forumites have ideas on this one.

I'm dressing up as a flapper for Halloween, and I'm trying to pick a scent to wear that night -- something sexy, something that says jazz and speakeasies, something without patchouli or vetiver, something I own (and obviously something I don't usually wear -- I don't usually go for dark/slutty/boozy scents).

I have Belle Epoque, Bon Vivant and Smut. Which do you all think would be best? Or is there another scent out there that would be perfect that I'm not thinking of?

Smut works wonders for my friend. But me personally...I find that my red musk scents are drop dead gorgeous. Lucy Kissed, Mircalla, Scherazade (sexiness that is work appropriate)

Smut works wonders for my friend. But me personally...I find that my red musk scents are drop dead gorgeous. Lucy Kissed, Mircalla, Scherazade (sexiness that is work appropriate)

Agreed! Smut was just an unremarkable kinda powdery musk on me. Mircalla and Scherezade are amazingly sexy blends though, if you like red musk :)