Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
chin

BPAL for Costume Parties, Halloween Costumes

Awesome Ivy, thank you for sorting that for me. I don't bother with Search, lol. I'm glad to see there's a cosplay thread.

Ooh. Yay costume parties? :D

I'm dressing up this Halloween... well, I do every year, but last year nobody thought I was dressed up because my costume was rather bland. Sigh.

This year, I'm going as a catgirl - aka Random Loveless Character #312. Yukata, cat ears, tail, the works.

And... I have no idea what scent to wear! :P I thought of Hellcat, but I tried that recently and it just does not work on me at all (evidently I amp almond to extremes). I'm considering Schrodinger's Cat, though... not sure yet.

Any ideas? :D

Awesome Ivy, thank you for sorting that for me. I don't bother with Search, lol. I'm glad to see there's a cosplay thread.

There actually wasn't a cosplay thread before, but I thought it would mesh nicely with RPG :) So I found the Vampire: The Masquerade Thread that was pretty lively and a new thread was born. I think there might be something else floating around in here but so far my searches haven't uncovered anything.

But do take some time to make the search engine your friend (and this is advice for everyone, not just palastinied) - you don't want to rack up warnings (eventually) for duplicate threads! :D I say eventually because we now have the ability to issue reminders to members without altering your warning level, and that's what we do when you are new and/or when you haven't been out making duplicate threads like rabbit babies, but a few reminders under your belt and you do get warned for it (and you turn your friendly mod's smile upside down). Mods are always happy to help you figure out if a duplicate thread already exists, if your topic is a good fit for an existing thread or should stand on its own, that kind of thing, too. Just PM the mod for the section where you're dabbling (and please give her a good 24 hours or so to respond).

Ooh. Yay costume parties? :DI'm dressing up this Halloween... well, I do every year, but last year nobody thought I was dressed up because my costume was rather bland. Sigh.This year, I'm going as a catgirl - aka Random Loveless Character #312. Yukata, cat ears, tail, the works.And... I have no idea what scent to wear! :P I thought of Hellcat, but I tried that recently and it just does not work on me at all (evidently I amp almond to extremes). I'm considering Schrodinger's Cat, though... not sure yet.Any ideas? :D

River, so far my entire pirate wench ensemble is comprised of items from my actual wardrobe and my joke is that I am the Dread Wench of the Beige Seas. I live in fear of no one realizing I am in costume too! Must accessorize before Halloween. As for a scent... what about Bakeneko? Monster Cat!

There's always Black Cat, and Velvet has a nice soft fuzziness about it while still being sexy :P I wouldn't say my cats have that kind of scent but it evokes the feeling of fur, if that makes sense. Bastet would also be a good choice. It never hurts to smell like a goddess when attending a party!

I'm looking for a fitting scent to enhance my Michael Myers costume this year. Ive found quite a few that sound fitting, but I'd love some feedback from anyone who's actually smelled some of them. So does anyone know of a good BPAL fragrance that would embody the essence of Myers? :P

first thing that came to mind was Blood! :P

I'm looking for a fitting scent to enhance my Michael Myers costume this year. Ive found quite a few that sound fitting, but I'd love some feedback from anyone who's actually smelled some of them. So does anyone know of a good BPAL fragrance that would embody the essence of Myers? :D

Thanks. :D I looked at Blood, and it may be a possibility... What I'm mainly looking for is something that embodies death, darkness, Halloween, and maybe a hint of insanity. There are a lot of scents that have elements of these, but so many of them have floral aspects, and I'm not sure how well that would work. I want the fragrance to scare people and creep them out almost as much as the costume itself. If a scent existed which evoked graveyard dirt, rotting leaves, blood, and maybe a little pumpkin, and avoided anything flowery, I'd probably get it in a second. But alas, such a combo doesn't seem to be available... Maybe I should get some imp's ears and experiment with layering or blending. Perhaps something that involves Jack, Burial, and maybe Omen? Not sure how nicely those would mix, tho. I'm very inexperienced at this stuff. :D

first thing that came to mind was Blood! :P

I'm looking for a fitting scent to enhance my Michael Myers costume this year. Ive found quite a few that sound fitting, but I'd love some feedback from anyone who's actually smelled some of them. So does anyone know of a good BPAL fragrance that would embody the essence of Myers? :)

Oooh, fun topic! I have a few thoughts......

Samhain...."Truly the scent of autumn itself -- damp woods, fir needle, and black patchouli with the gentlest touches of warm pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, allspice, sweet red apple and mullein."

Samhainophobia...."The fear of Halloween. Menacing Haitian vetiver, patchouli, and clove with a shock of bourbon geranium, grim oakmoss, and dread-inspiring balsams pierce the innocuous scent of autumn leaves."

I agree that Burial would be good. As for non-floral, I'd possibly recommend something like Djinn, Troll, or October.

Maybe even.......

The High Priest Not To Be Described....."Monastic incense, blood musk, black leather, cypress, pimento, white pepper, and Roman chamomile." Sinister and brooding, but maybe a bit refined for Michael Meyers? but at least it's available in the general catalogue.

I know there are lots more, I bet others will have good rec's.

Hm... This one does sound interesting. Wonder if it would work together with Jack? :P

Oh...The Black Tower

That is one creepy scent. the moldy, decaying dirt notes, the green ivy, the metallic bite.

Samhainophobia sounds nearly perfect, which I suppose makes sense as it's meant to evoke "the fear of Halloween." :P Samhain and October also sound promising. I found a few bottles of Samhainophobia on eBay, so it's a definite possibility. It doesn't include any pumpkin scent, but I'm not married to the idea of pumpkin - I just figured it was a "Halloweeny" scent and hence would compliment Michael Myers.

I like the description of Troll quite a bit, so I'll add that one to my "possibilities" list. The High Priest Not to Be Described does sound a bit refined for Michael.... Almost something I could see myself using for a Pinhead costume, actually. Hm....

All in all, some excellent suggestions, thanks. I'm definitely open to more recommendations, but right now I'm somewhere between Troll, The Black Tower, and Samhainophobia - with a strong leaning towards the latter. :D

Oooh, fun topic! I have a few thoughts......

Samhain...."Truly the scent of autumn itself -- damp woods, fir needle, and black patchouli with the gentlest touches of warm pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, allspice, sweet red apple and mullein."

Samhainophobia...."The fear of Halloween. Menacing Haitian vetiver, patchouli, and clove with a shock of bourbon geranium, grim oakmoss, and dread-inspiring balsams pierce the innocuous scent of autumn leaves."

I agree that Burial would be good. As for non-floral, I'd possibly recommend something like Djinn, Troll, or October.

Maybe even.......

The High Priest Not To Be Described....."Monastic incense, blood musk, black leather, cypress, pimento, white pepper, and Roman chamomile." Sinister and brooding, but maybe a bit refined for Michael Meyers? but at least it's available in the general catalogue.

I know there are lots more, I bet others will have good rec's.

The best one of all would be from the new CD act:

THE GRAND INQUISITOR'S HERETIC'S FORK The reviews are here.

Coppery dried blood, metal, vetiver, and bonfire smoke. You could blend this with Death Cap and it would be perfect for Michael Myers. :P

Wow, yeah, this combo does sound fitting. On my list of possibilities it goes. Thanks. :D

The best one of all would be from the new CD act:

THE GRAND INQUISITOR'S HERETIC'S FORK The reviews are here.

Coppery dried blood, metal, vetiver, and bonfire smoke. You could blend this with Death Cap and it would be perfect for Michael Myers. :P

At first I thought you meant the other Mike Myers. This makes a whole lot more sense.

Black Annis layered with the Grand Inquisitor's Heretic's Fork or the Blood Garden (or anything with a blood accord) screams "FEAR ME!" to me. Black Annis really evokes freshly turned dirty and a touch of decay--it's kind of perfect for evoking the image of shallow graves and primal fear.

In the interests of being useful, and because I like being surrounded by imps, I tried Black Tower over Jack. It's... interesting. Jack kills Black Tower so that all that's left is a bitterness. It does lighten Jack up a lot, and brings the spices to the foreground a lot more. (I usually get OMG PUMPKIN) The wine amps up on me quite a bit and makes Jack more grounded than the usual all-top-notes blend that I'm used to. Dried, it's all clove and a dark acrid burning scent that's got a sweet bite.

It's not something that's overly pleasant unless you LOVE Jack. It's like SUPERJACK TO THE RESCUE!

I'd go for Tell-Tale Heart. For the gruesomeness and the dark vetiver and (albeit dragons) blood.

Yeah, the dirt/decay thing is definitely something I'd want... Burial sounds ok, but there's that whole "floral offerings to the dead" aspect of it that I'm not sure about. So Black Annis may be a better option. The Blood Garden also sounds good. Thanks.

As for the other Mike Myers, I wonder what scent would match him? Something really vibrant and citrus-y, I'd imagine. :P

At first I thought you meant the other Mike Myers. This makes a whole lot more sense.

Black Annis layered with the Grand Inquisitor's Heretic's Fork or the Blood Garden (or anything with a blood accord) screams "FEAR ME!" to me. Black Annis really evokes freshly turned dirty and a touch of decay--it's kind of perfect for evoking the image of shallow graves and primal fear.

Hm... I was seriously thinking about scrapping any pumpkin aspects, and after this I think I will. Pumpkin evokes Halloween, but I don't really see Michael Myers smelling like some kind of evil dessert or something, lol. Thanks for doing the experiment. :P

Tell-Tale Heart does sound intriguing... I'll add it to my growing list. I went ahead and purchased some Samhainophobia off of eBay, because I didn't want to miss the opportunity to snag it... But I may also wind up buying some imps of all the stuff suggested here. Just to see what works.

In the interests of being useful, and because I like being surrounded by imps, I tried Black Tower over Jack. It's... interesting. Jack kills Black Tower so that all that's left is a bitterness. It does lighten Jack up a lot, and brings the spices to the foreground a lot more. (I usually get OMG PUMPKIN) The wine amps up on me quite a bit and makes Jack more grounded than the usual all-top-notes blend that I'm used to. Dried, it's all clove and a dark acrid burning scent that's got a sweet bite.

It's not something that's overly pleasant unless you LOVE Jack. It's like SUPERJACK TO THE RESCUE!

I'd go for Tell-Tale Heart. For the gruesomeness and the dark vetiver and (albeit dragons) blood.

hm, typhon sounds like a good shot :P if you manage to find it.

A fearsome creature from Greek lore. Typhon was born from the marriage of Earth and Hell, and is said to be so terrible in aspect that even the gods themselves flee from his venomous gaze. Our own blend of Earth and Hell: red patchouli, sandalwood, black musk and vetiver.

also, krampus has a very animalistic character,atleast to my nose.

Yeah, the dirt/decay thing is definitely something I'd want... Burial sounds ok, but there's that whole "floral offerings to the dead" aspect of it that I'm not sure about. So Black Annis may be a better option. The Blood Garden also sounds good. Thanks.

As for the other Mike Myers, I wonder what scent would match him? Something really vibrant and citrus-y, I'd imagine. :P

Ooh, ooh! New one! Also could layer well with Black Annis. Mort de Cesar! I got my bottle of it yesterday and had it on one wrist. I let my boyfriend smell it and he was like, "Um... sweetie? What's in that?" I told him the list and he nodded appreciatively when I got to "blood accord." He works in the funeral industry and he was like "It smells like the embalming room when you get an autopsy or trauma victim in." I don't share that thought and he is freaked out by Valentine of Rome (also blood accord) but kind of likes it, whereas he was viscerally turned off by MdC.

Other Mike Myers: I came into this thread to yelp "Cheshire Cat!!" a few times.

Edited by paperrose

Samhainophobia sounds nearly perfect, which I suppose makes sense as it's meant to evoke "the fear of Halloween." :D Samhain and October also sound promising. I found a few bottles of Samhainophobia on eBay, so it's a definite possibility. It doesn't include any pumpkin scent, but I'm not married to the idea of pumpkin - I just figured it was a "Halloweeny" scent and hence would compliment Michael Myers.

I like the description of Troll quite a bit, so I'll add that one to my "possibilities" list. The High Priest Not to Be Described does sound a bit refined for Michael.... Almost something I could see myself using for a Pinhead costume, actually. Hm....

All in all, some excellent suggestions, thanks. I'm definitely open to more recommendations, but right now I'm somewhere between Troll, The Black Tower, and Samhainophobia - with a strong leaning towards the latter. :D

Even though there's not much in the way of sweetness listed in the description, I get a definite vibe of either apple or honey from Samhainophobia, much like the sweet notes in Samhain.

I'm curious on what you end up wearing, keep us updated! :P

Well, I obtained some Samhainophobia. And, as luck would have it, it was shipped with an imp's ear of Death Cap. I like both of them, and may very well use one or both. But I still think I will order imps of most of the suggestions here and see what I like best. Because they all sound promising. Thanks again everyone, I'm sure one of these (or a combo of them) will wind up being perfect. Now to work on getting a hold of them all... :P

Oh, and paperrose, I read the description for Cheshire Cat, and I agree that it's a perfect fit for the other Mike Myers. :D

Soooo, here's an odd one.

I am going as an anthropomorphic personification of a specific geologic feature for Halloween. (Yes, I am a colossal nerd. But at least there will be other colossal nerd friends of mine going as other geologic features!) I designed the character myself, and I've been pulling together the visual aspects of the costume just fine. I was thinking, though, that smelling like rocks and dirt could be a fantastic touch. A fault line, no matter how humanoid, sure isn't gonna smell like skin musk, after all!

My question is, which BPAL (or combination thereof) do you all think would be best for pulling this off? I own imps of Black Opal and Kumari Kandam, and a decant of Moai. I've already ruled out Moai, because I'm not about to slather something I may not be able to get more of. As for Black Opal, I like the rocks note, but the vanilla is present enough to not be immediately rocky. (Also, my nose is kind of confused by the combination of rocks and vanilla. Still trying to figure it out!) Maybe layering this with something would minimize vanilla and bring out rocks? I like Kumari Kandam a lot, but the clay is part of the complexity of the blend, rather than an immediately obvious thing.

Scent is not vital for making the costume work, so no worries if people draw blanks, but I figured I'd at least throw this out there. Thanks!

Soooo, here's an odd one.

I am going as an anthropomorphic personification of a specific geologic feature for Halloween. (Yes, I am a colossal nerd. But at least there will be other colossal nerd friends of mine going as other geologic features!) I designed the character myself, and I've been pulling together the visual aspects of the costume just fine. I was thinking, though, that smelling like rocks and dirt could be a fantastic touch. A fault line, no matter how humanoid, sure isn't gonna smell like skin musk, after all!

My question is, which BPAL (or combination thereof) do you all think would be best for pulling this off? I own imps of Black Opal and Kumari Kandam, and a decant of Moai. I've already ruled out Moai, because I'm not about to slather something I may not be able to get more of. As for Black Opal, I like the rocks note, but the vanilla is present enough to not be immediately rocky. (Also, my nose is kind of confused by the combination of rocks and vanilla. Still trying to figure it out!) Maybe layering this with something would minimize vanilla and bring out rocks? I like Kumari Kandam a lot, but the clay is part of the complexity of the blend, rather than an immediately obvious thing.

Scent is not vital for making the costume work, so no worries if people draw blanks, but I figured I'd at least throw this out there. Thanks!

I'd recommend Graveyard Dirt. It really does smell like freshly-turned earth, and lots of people have decants up for grabs right now in the swaps forum.