Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
clover

Tintagel

According to legend, the birthplace of King Arthur. The scent of a castle's great hall in the midst of joyous feasting. Spicy mulled wine flowing through the musky heat, warm leather and bright clash of armor, the damp branches of Cornish hawthorn, blackthorn, juniper, English elm and bayberry, and the magical tingle of dragon's blood resin.

Oh, this is gorgeous. It's all evergreen and wind-washed hillside on first sniff, closely followed by a blossom of wine. Sweet and clean and wild. Over time, the wildness of the blend intensifies, evoking stone and sea as well as scrub. I do catch a hint of dragon's blood, as well, but it's faint, and I don't get leather from this at all. Nonetheless, I love this. I want a bottle.

Edited by Voleuse

this scent is truly evocative of the description. i can't decide whether i like it or not, at first i get the leather and a bit of smoky sweetness, but now that it's dry i am getting a weird fruity-candle smell, which i think is dragons blood because dragons blood hates my skin generally. i'll have to try this one once more at a later time to be totally sure how i feel about it, but right now i'm not loving it all that much dry.

Edited by theseagrows

Tintagel: Definitely Dragons Blood here. In fact, that's pretty much all I'm smelling both on and in the imp, but especially on my skin. Lilacs! Not as sweet as Dragons Milk, though, I think I like this better. 15 minutes later it's softer lilacs. If I get right up on it there's a hint of wine and woodiness. Definitely like this better than Dragons Milk. It's sweet, but not SO sweet. I'm liking it! It appears my skin must like Dragons Blood to the point that everything else gets pretty swamped. It faded fairly fast, though.

I'll be trying this again, and will keep the imp, but I don't think this will be a bottle purchase anytime soon.

I'm getting something sweet, the mulled wine. Slightly warm, but not leathery.

Getting warmer and a light leather touch. Possibly the blood resin as well. And while I can't smell clashing armor I'm certainly thinking it.

Very warm and slightly sweet. A keeper.

Tintagel is one of the better wine scents for this "never drink wine" type. It is sweet like berries, and the wood does suggest an old castle.

The first thing I notice with this one is how fiery bright orange it is in the imp, so I'm not surprised there's dragon's blood in this one.

I get a very bright and fruity/spicy scent right away that was very promising. It reminds me of the clove chewing gum my grandfather would buy me when I was very little.

Unfortunately, my skin amps dragon's blood to eternity. Unlike Dragon's Milk, however, this one doesn't scream across the room that you're wearing it. The throw is comparably rather light, but it has some serious staying power. I wish some of the other notes would come out to play, but dragon's blood is holding steady.

A pretty blend, very! But not really me. If the Ars Draconis blends have been kind to your chemistry, this one is for you!

Tintagel is warm and spicy. I do get the medieval banquet, but it's an idylic banquet, obviously, there's no body odour from unwashed leather or rotten meat sprinkled liberally with salt to disguise the horrid taste. And this is a good thing, believe me.

What I do imagine, however, is knights and ladies in a huge, well-lit room in a castle. There will be dancing and there will be an extravagant feast, and there are long, romantic dresses with stomachers and flowing skirts.

Loud on the wand; quiet on my wrist. After a moment, it manifests in a low, slightly fruity tone. I detect woods and pines here (the notes don’t reflect pines, but I can still pick them up at first). It’s very nice.

This is a very warm, rich wood scent; I think it’s the dragon’s blood resin making it so very warm. The pine fades out after a bit, but the sheer woodiness of it stays. I’m startled by how much I like it. The description sounds very complex, but it doesn’t smell anywhere near as complex as it sounds.

I find myself sniffing my wrist over and over because I’m so surprised and pleased by this scent. It isn’t feminine at all, but it isn’t masculine either. It’s sophisticated without being haughty, and I love its warmth. The wine isn’t obtrusively alcoholic, and the two notes that concerned me (musk and leather) aren’t popping out of the mixture. Really, nothing is unpleasantly obtrusive in this blend. It’s all warm halls and hospitable grace, and I am delighted by it.

Goes a bit soapy a couple hours later... darn. Still, not bad soap. Just less pretty than it had been.

Note: Late in cycle. Imp straight from the Lab, but about three months old.

In the bottle: Dragon's blood, bayberry, & juniper jump out at me. I don't get the leather, though there is a brightness. It is rather potpourri like at this stage.

On me: I think that the leather & hawthorn are coming out. I have no good way of identifying the blackthorn. I'm getting a slightly forresty mulled cider effect. The metal has gotten sharper.

1 hour+ later: It had decent throw for a little while, but now most of it is gone. Now it is mostly dragon's blood again, I think, with a little leather and metal. Not terribly exciting, but nice and clean in a woodsy sort of way, like a wood maintained by a forrester, not a rolling around in the dirt sort of way.

As it heats up, there's leather. Just a brush of it, but it's in there. And it's lingering. Oh, God, I think on a man, the right man, this would be devastating. God. I think it's devastating on me. I'm honestly having trouble breathing. Or typing coherently.

:P I think that summed it up for me! I LOVE this fragrance! It makes me think more of Robin Hood than King Arthur...more outside in the woods with the warm leather and wine scents coming through.

Hmmmm. I didn't think I was going to like this, because dragonsblood resin turns to fruit bubble gum on me. So my expectation was really Bubblegum at King Arthur's Court. Which, initially, it was.

But my patience paid off, yes! After a few minutes, the sweetsweetSWEET of the dragonsblood faded, and suddenly there was wine and bayberry and...I don't know how to describe it. Stone and chill, but also light and laughter. A very friendly scent. I don't know how Beth does this!

Another imp may be forthcoming. Are there good scents to mingle with this to cut down on the dragonsblood?

I felt a bit like Homer Simpson with this one.... Imagine if Homer were a BPAL'er, and he sniffed something totally and completely delicious on his wrist:

*sniff* "OOOH!" *sniff* "OOOH!" *sniff* "OOOH!"

repeat ad nauseum. :P

This is lovely! It's soft and juicy (is this what dragon's blood smells like?!) and warm and spicy... a perfect autumn/winter scent! My only complaint is that it lacks a lot of throw, but if I slather a bit more it will carry further. I love this and I may possibly add it to my bottle list!

a review of Tintagel

Vial ~ mulled wine blended with spiciness from the tree scents. This scent

comes across as warm and spicy with very little sweetness. The dragon's

blood is in there, but it is not dominating, at least not yet.

Wet ~ The scent has changed a little, the mulled wine seems to have

disappeared, but I can easily pick out the smell of the damp branches.

There is a bit of smokiness, but I think that is more of the warm leather.

Drying ~ The spiciness of this scent is in foreground, I am picking up

little bits of the dragon's blood. I tend to love most scents that have

dragon's blood and this scent is getting alot of love, even if I am not

getting alot of dragon's blood.

Dry ~ The scent is a warm and spicy from the blend of the damp branches and

the dragon's blood. I cannot detect any of the mulled wine. While this

scent has not completely disappeared on my skin, I think slathering will

be needed as I don't think this will be an overpowering blend, but perfect

for a night out.

Fade ~ The scent has faded and is barely traceable. Like I had mentioned

earlier this scent will need slathering and most likely reapplying, but

I don't find that to be a negative, because it does have some lasting power.

Final thoughts ~ Tintagel is a very lovely warm spicy scent. I really do

love the way it lays on my skin. While it is not a perfect scent as far as

lastability, it still rates pretty good. The warmness and the spiciness of

the scent from beginning to end makes this a wonderful scent. On a scale

1 to 5 -> 4

on me Tintagel smells mainly like Kool-Aid. Probably the mulled wine is just playing strangely with my chemistry. oh well.

In the vial, this smells like juicy fruit chewing gum with a tad of spiciness. I don't get any wine or leather, just spicy sweetness.

Wet on skin, the spiciness is gone and it's pure chewing gum. I love "Wrigley's Juicy Fruit", but I don't really want to smell like it.

Early drydown: Is there cinnamon in this? I think I smell a hint of cinnamon, but overall, this is still "Juicy Fruit". Yikes. Could this come from the dragon's blood?

Dry, it's a bit spicier now but I still don't get rid of the chewing gum smell. Unfortunately, this isn't good on me.

I wonder if it's the dragon's blood that makes this turn to candy on my skin and if I should avoid that note from now on, but on the other hand, dragon's hide was quite nice on me. I guess, Tintagel just doesn't like me. It's a quite nice and warm scent, though, and seems to be pretty long lasting, so I'll give it a 2.5 out of 5.

In the imp it vaguely reminds me of cough syrup, especially because it's a red color because of the dragons blood. On my skin the sweetness fades after a while, and the a spicy, scent comes out from the woods and the dragon's blood. The leather adds a ruggedness to the scent, and I like it. I think this would be nice on a boy.

tintagel is a warm, herbal dragon's blood which i think is perfect for fall. i get a kind of cinnamon/clove spiciness but no wine which is WEIRD because in any other wine-based scent that would be all i'd smell. it gets warmer and spicier the longer i wear it. mmm.

Edited by porcelina

Wet: I can pick up a lot of the woods, or woods related notes, and the leather in this.

dry down: initially this has some subtle sweetness and spice with the grounding of the woods. there is something very grounded and slightly autumn about this. it's warm but with woodsy spice. i really like this! it's comforting and I can see scenting my living room with this. it's that perfect scent reminding me of warm fall days, a breeze blowing through large trees with a crispness to the air and the sun beating down. i don't know if i smell the leather in this but i pick up the sense of it--but the type of leather that reminds me of worn books and pages which have soaked up the spicy scent of woods. It's wonderful.

This is Tintagel but the Tintagel you read about in an old book growing up as you dream about the battles and the magic of Merlin. This is love, battles, and the continuance of life even in the face of death.

i'm thinking about rubbing it into my wood furniture and seeing how gorgeous it makes the room smell...

Rating: 4/5

Throw: Light--it's a skin scent that hovers very close.

Edited by Lunaratu

This one scared me a bit to try -- the mulled wine part specifiaclly, because of the dreaded cinnamon and spice notes. But it's wonderfully balanced through those greener notes, I think. I definitely don't get any leather, but that's okay, as it often turns to evilness on me, but I think I can detect it from far away at times.

It smells the same wet and long after drydown, which is great, and seems to last for quite some time. Lovely!

This is nearly all cinnamon on me, but a soft warm (as opposed to hot) cinnamon mingling with all the other notes. And it mingles very well indeed as I can barely pick out any of the other notes. A hint of leather and the tiniest touch of green (good, I don't like green). I can't even pick out the dragon's blood unless I go searching for it which is unusal for my skin.

Like all the other cinnamon Wanderlust scents I've tried so far (which is most if not all) it doesn't have great last on me, although it does last a little longer which I assume is the influence of the dragon's blood. It has a little throw and is very lovely indeed.

In the bottle:

This reminds me of Tamora in the bottle. It smells peachy to me, even though there's no peach in it!

On skin wet:

I can smell the wine over anything else right now- it's very strong. It's not unpleasant, though, strangely- I tend to find scents with alcohol in them slightly overpowering, usually.

Dried down:

:P Soap. That is such a shame, because this is beautiful in the bottle and on my skin wet.

Irukandji, I'm so pleased I'm not the only one!

To me, Tintagel smells of Juicy Fruit. Exactly like Juicy Fruit in and out of the imp. This is not a good thing for me, as I can remember pleading with my sister and dad when I was a kid for them to stop chewing it in the car as it was making me feel ill. I've hated that smell since I was a little kid - it just makes me nauseous. :P This is just sickly and awful on me - I only applied a small amount, as the smell in the imp was so strong, and I just ran to the bathroom to wash it off. This was a frimp from the lab with my first order, so it was interesting to get a scent that I would never have ordered for myself based on the description. Unfortunately, I'll pass this imp on to someone who likes Juicy Fruit.

Now I'd hoped for something delicious and manly here, but I have to agree with Laliloo and Irukandji that this is Juicy Fruit gum.

Sweeeeeet and unrelenting about it. For a very brief time, cinnamon popped up and, being a sucker for cinnamon, I was much happier. Then...gone.

Such an odd morphing blend. The odd nice note kept popping up for air only to be pushed down by the fruity gum.

The weirdest thing of all is that there's Dragon's Blood in this - and it should have gone to doom powder. But it's been about an hour now, and there's no sign of that tell-tale smell. Why this blend? :P What the hell are you up to, skin chemistry? (And why the hell can't you choose to play nicely with a resin from a blend I really like?? Bastard, you're doing this on purpose!)

No knights in a magnificent banquet hall here. Shame, because I looooove the concept. *sigh*

I, too, am in love with the concept of Tintagel - and the notes in the description sound like they would be exactly my sort of thing.

When I manage to actually get some Tintagel on me, it is a pleasurable scent. A bit sweet, but there's a spicy-ness to it, and I get the leather note too. BUT in the vial there's a smell there that gives me gooseflesh. Something in it is just too reminiscent of real battlefields, and real men spilling blood and sweating in real fear for their lives. I can't get past it to want to put in on my skin, but this was the Imp that first made me a believer in how fascinating the world of BPAL scents could be.

I was in a hurry to choose an imp to try minutes before going to work--alas, nanoseconds after swiping Tintagel on my neck and in my locket, I got a strong whiff of bus-station bathroom air freshener. I can't place the scent--something floral--but it was evocative enough that I rinsed off the oil as best I could when I got to work.

On drydown (mostly locket) it became more herbal and slightly more wearable. Sadly, the bathroom fragrance periodically reappeared, and Tintagel became the founding member of Eloise's Noble Guild of Replaceable Imps.