Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The embodiment of Victorian funereal elegance. A delicate sugar-spun vanilla cream cotton, stained by tobacco and incense smoke, Indian musk, and drops of cognac.

OMG! :P What to say about the famous Black Lace? How about that in the bottle, this is a very sweet cotton dribbled with vanilla musk. When I applied it, there was a strong tobacco note for about 20 minutes, before it settled down into a sweet smoky vanilla. I can't really smell the cognac, but that's okay. I was expecting this one to be stronger, but I'm going to try it in my scent locket and see what the difference is. (I'm guessing more tobacco.) This isn't a must-have BPAL, but I really like it and am glad that I now have a bottle.

4/5

ETA: Okay, last night I could not stop sniffing my wrist, and came to the conclusion that this is a 4.5/5. Edited by Shollin

I was luck enough to buy a decant of this off of a forum sale. In the imp, this is very strong, almost sharp tobacco. In fact, it was so sharp, I actually wondered if I was sent something other than Black Lace on accident. But after a few minutes, it was definitely tobacco, and 30 minutes in, it was no longer sharp.

Now I get some lovely sugary vanilla, and maybe a hint of the incense smoke. I don't get any cognac, which I would have liked.

The tobacco is actually the dominant note on me, with the vanilla serving to soften and sweeten it.

Black Lace is a gorgeous blend, but due to its rarity, I don't feel the need to try to hunt down a bottle of this. I have plenty of other lovely blends, and I think with some effort, I might be able to get close to this scent by layering. Too bad there's not a tobacco single note, because that over Antique Lace seems like it would be awfully close. I would definitely buy a bottle if this was re-released though, because it is quite beautiful! I'm pleased that I've gotten to try it, and will treasure my (partial, now) imp.

Well, when my bottle first arrived I eagerly slathered it on. At which point I got: "I am COGNAC! Tremble as I stab you in the sinuses! ah-HA!" Oh sure, I wanted the lovely smoky wonderfulness that everyone else seemed to get, but it seemed I was doomed to disappointment. I took comfort in the thought that this bottle, at least, would be remarkably easy to swap away.

However, experience with BPAL has taught me that some oils, especially the heavier, smokier scents, do mellow quite a bit with aging, so I put the bottle aside for a few months.

Oh my. How glad I am that I did. :P Now I see what all the fuss is about. The cognac has evened out considerably, allowing the softly sweetened vanilla to come through. The incense smoke adds depth and spice, making this a truly amazing scent. The cognac still has just a hint of its original shrillness, but it doesn't overpower the rest of the notes. I think another month or so, and this will make itself a permanent home in my top ten.

Oh, Black Lace :P In the bottle, this is much more cologne-y than I would have thought, probably due to the tobacco and cognac. It still retains a feminity though and it truly is reminiscent of a Victorian funeral with its sweet smokiness. This has lots of gorgeous layers that slowly unveil themselves over the first hour, ending in a absolutely stunning smoky incensy vanilla, kind of like Antique Lace's dark twin sister. I am so lucky to have found myself a bottle of this!

Edited by twistedophelia

My first review!

I got a bottle of Black Lace in a swap recently.

In the bottle: Smells kind of perfume-y and I can definitely smell the tobacco and cognac, though mostly the tobacco. I don't really smell much vanilla at this point, which almost made me sad because I love me some vanilla.

Wet: I can still smell the tobacco strongly, but the vanilla with musk and incense smoke are starting to come out.

Dry: After about fifteen minutes, it mellows out and I smell and delicious, slightly sweetened vanilla with the darkness of the musk and incense underneath. The tobacco is still there, but it fades to the background after 20 or 30 minutes. It's absolutely gorgeous. It's just what I wanted it to smell like. It has a lot of depth, and it's just such a beautiful scent. It smells even better as it settles down over the course of an hour or so.

I'm so glad I have a bottle of this. I think this is my favorite blend now. :P It lasts for a really long time too. I put some on the other night before I went to bed, and my wrists still smelled like sweet vanilla with just the barest hint of something darker underneath when I woke up.

If you love vanilla and dark, sexy scents then I think you'd like this.

I managed to get my hands on a decant of Black Lace and I was sorta hoping I wouldn't like it even though it sounds so wonderful.

Unfortunately for me and my bank account, it's wonderful. I can pick out every note, but its mostly soft vanilla and incense. Black Lace completely lives up to its hype.

EDIT: 2009 version

The newer blend has a much different feel to it... a lot of cognac and tobacco are coming out for me. Someone else compared it to Perversion and I can definitely relate to that. I'm waiting to see if it will morph into something like the soft vanilla I love in my original bottle. If not, I probably won't keep this one.

Edited by iiinterstate

Ahh, i had dreamed of getting a bottle of black lace! Dream of it! When i saw a friend of mine was selling hers i snapped it up in about 3 seconds flat. I just got it in the mail today, i opened the bottle and i could smell a little vanilla, but mainly a clean cotton smell and some powder. Nice enough, just not what i was expecting.

I figured that once placing on my skin hopefully some smokey vanilla, tobacco, musky goodness would come forth. Alas, all i get is clean cotton and powder. STRONG clean cotton and powder. I decided to let it settle a bit, maybe it will chill out and let the sweet vanilla goodness some through as it dries down. To my horror and disappointment i get nothing but cotton and powder for 10 minutes and then it vanishes all together. :P Why does my skin hate me so? WHY?!?

I'm sure this is loveliness embodied on many many people, unfortunately i am just not one of them. :D

Hoooooooly deliciousness.

This is unbelievably good. I was testing this a few nights ago with about 8 other oils on my forearms, but I knew from the first 30 seconds that I applied Black Lace that it was the winner.

It smells lemony when I first smear it on -- reminds me quite potently of Dorian, that same creamy lemon sweetness. But where Dorian is blatantly foody on me (I'm wearing lemon sugar cookie dough!), this is more sophisticated. Whatever smelled like lemon to me has calmed down now on my skin, and is just exhuding sweet musky vanilla loveliness. Perhaps it was the cognac? I don't get a very alcoholic smell from Black Lace at all, just fresh-yet-musky vanilla-brightness.

When I was blow-drying my hair this morning, I noticed the tobacco smell amping up - possibly due to the heat of my skin, because since then I haven't noticed it much at all. Perhaps I'll avoid wearing this in the heat of the summer, then, since I prefer the scent profile as it is now.

Pure amazing. :P

Edited to fix my spellings.

Edited by dorothy humbird

I know I shouldn't..but I had to try Black Lace even if I feel nauseous tonight.I am taking a risk, I know.

Oh dear...smells like tobacco, which makes me sick, but I never tried anything with that note in it. I am a bit worried. I should have listened to my gut feeling about tobacco.

Later, no cognac, fading tobacco, smoky incense and a faint sweetness coming in.

About 1 hour later...the tobacco is still there as is the incense, but I can deal with this.

Two hours later- AHH! this is what everyone is talking about. A very sexy scent. I can smell the Antique Lace in it but it doesn't have that odd note which bothers me. I guess the incense balances it. I know everyone loves Antique Lace on me, but it's not my favorite. I like this one so much better. More sophisticated, sexy and complex. . I must try this again when I am not sick. This may be a winner!!!

Edited by DeniseScan

This is really, really, really good, and that says a lot from me as I'm pretty picky about scents. This is Mme Moriarty meets Antique Lace, and I'll probably even try that combo once my loney little imp of this is gone. :P It is strong in the imp and on for a few minutes then settles into this gorgeous slightly floral smooth vanilla with the spices that remind me of the Mme. Very nice, and I'd love for it to come back, even for a visit.

smells like cologne on skin. Then a pleasant vanilla with a cologne undertone. Not very amazing, IMO, but I tend to amp fragrances with vanilla so that they turn into vanilla only fragrances.

Edited by loladae

Wet this is sweet, creamy vanilla and a high musky "perfume" note. Sort of like Antique Lace with a twist. When first on this is a blend of cotton, musk, a sweet note and a hint of cream underneath. This is a very romantic and soft powdery scent. Very feminine. This becomes a close to the skin scent. It's mainly vanilla with an almost clean soapy note. This is very nice but I'm not sure if it's unique enough to keep. Update: I decided to give this one to a friend as a gift. I know she loves this scent and wanted more of it so I'm happy to give it to a loving home!

I was skeptical about Black Lace at first since it appeared to be the darker version of Antique Lace (which my husband says makes me smell like an old lady ><)

Out of the bottle: Strong musk!

On skin: The musk fades a bit and sweetens into a soft, vanilla musk with some smoky undertones..that must be the incense. The final dry down is absolutly gorgeous! Antique Lace is very feminine, mature....and definitely not in an "old lady" sort of way like Antique Lace. This scent makes me feel really sexy :P

Verdict: One of my new favorites :D

In the Bottle: At First I thought: Darker version of Antique Lace with Cotton notes :D !

But wet on the skin, the cognac and tobacco completely take over! They dance seductively with the vanilla and morph into what I would imagine Theresa Berkley would wear with her gentleman callers. (Cigars, cognac, with a touch of sweetness!) :P

Dry on the skin: My original thought was right, A darker version of Antique Lace, but sexier and definitely worth the bottle!!!!! :D

Ok, Antique Lace is one of my favorite bpals, so I was so excited to try this. The only thing I am worried about is that sometimes tobacco and incense don't mesh well with my skin...I know when I sniff this straight from the imp the tobacco is kind of overwhelming.

Darn, yeah, this is just a bit too dark and musky for me. I am going to give it some time to settle and see how it dries down. Hmmm, it definitely gets better as it dries down. Ok, wow, WOW, damn, all of the dark notes mellow out very nicely. They don't disappear, but they behave themselves so that enhance the blend instead of overwhelm it.

This is like Antique Lace's older sexy goth sister. I don't need a bottle of this right now or I'll die, but I will have to put this on my wishlist for the future...

ETA: Got myself a bottle of the new 2009 version-LOVE IT! It always goes on a bit strong, but within minutes it mellows on my skin perfectly. I don't have my old decant so I can't compare them, but I don't remember a difference between the new one and the older version. I bet this will age sooo beautifully. Thank you for bringing it back Beth!!

Edited by Suu4LC

Wet: This is pretty bizarre when it's wet; it's some combination of a strong perfume smell (I blame the cognac) with a super strong clean linen scent. I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out.

Dry: The longer I wear this for the more I like it. The vanilla comes more and more to the forefront. It reminds me quite a bit of Antique Lace, but stronger, and unfortunately for me, less wearable. I can smell the incense, which adds a bit of sophistication, and a little bit of something else adding more complexity to the blend, which must be the cognac and tobacco. I like it, but it's a bit too heady for me, especially during this time of year.

Verdict: Something I like to smell, but that I wouldn't really wear.

MMMMM....delicious! Black Lace is mild, sweet, and dark. I get the vanilla and cognac notes primarily, with a thin wisp of Beth's exquisite Indian musk crisscrossing beneath like spiderwebs. Such a winner! :P

Wet: not too impressed; it's OK...

Drydown: lovely cream, vanilla, tobacco, and cognac...thank goodness the incense isn't too strong...

verdict: really nice, but I can find that similar smell in other blends...all I'm saying is I wouldn't give my firstborn for a bottle, you know? :P

Edited by Andrea912

The bottle is vanilla cognac. Wet I get mostly cognac, maybe a hint of tobacco. Dry it's a vanilla musk with a small bite. Definitely wearable.

Be still my heart!!!

So happy I got a bottle....why didn't I get two??? grrr!!

This is a gorgeous smokey vanilla that has alot of throw and lasts a hell of a long time!!! I could still smell this on my coat two days after I wore it out one day!!!

This is Antique Lace but 20 times better...it's the same gorgeous creamy vanilla that I've only ever smelled in BPAL blends, but it's sexier and smokier and just a whole lotta gorgeousness!!!..and I will hold this bottle to my heart for long as possible..

*has a snogfest with his own wrist*

In the bottle and wet, this is mostly powdery cotton and sharp, screeching smoke with a hint of burnt plastic vanilla. It mellows out as it dries, and the tobacco and cognac start to make an appearance and for a while it's a nice mature perfume, and funereal elegance is the perfect way to describe it.

My skin seems to drink it up though, and it doesn't take long for it to become a simple but faint dark vanilla musk, sort of a softer, girlier Snake Oil. I can imagine on someone with the right chemistry this would be divine, but there isn't really any point where it'd be an "omgmusthave!" for me. Were it a GC scent I'd probably keep a hold of the imp, but I certainly don't feel bad about sending the decant I've got off to someone who can give it the love it deserves.

Sort of soapy in the imp, also sharp. This may be the cognac. I'm not a cognac drinker so I'm not exactly sure what it smells like.

Wet on my skin, it's still a little soapy, but there are the beginnings of a boozy vanilla wrapped in something soft. This must be the cotton/"fabric-y" note, as it really does smell like there's a layer of something light lain over the scent, muffling it a bit and keeping me from getting a really good noseful of the stuff.

As it dries down, the fabric scent covers up most of the vanilla and lets the tobacco sneak out a little. Still has a soapy undernote. Not terrible, but not something I really need to keep. I have other vanillas I like better.

I got my imp back out today because I was culling the herd, so to speak. When I uncapped it, I couldn't remember why I'd bothered to hang onto it this long -- it was sharp, floral, disappointing. I dabbed it on anyhow, even though today isn't exactly the best point in my cycle to be testing things. After a while, though, I remembered why I'd held onto it.

On me, after about 10 minutes, it mellows to the softest, barely vanilla skin scent that honestly smells like silk feels: smooth, soft, decadent but clean. It has elements in common with Haloes, another of my loves, once it hits that all-important dry down stage. It's an elegant evening scent for certain. Thumbs up.

I was lucky enough to find me some Black Lace and am so, so happy that I did! I didn't get any vanilla initially, it was all cognac and tobacco with a hint of clean and crisp linen, with a tendril o' incense to give it a mysterious vibe. As it dries down, vanilla peeks out just a touch, but my skin is keeping it at bay to the beautiful Indian musk can shine. It's a grown-up, mysterious, seductive scent that is evocative of furtive glances and unspoken promises. I'll cherish my Black Lace and keep my eyes peeled for any unloved bottles out there (though highly unlikely that this could go unloved!!!)

My vanilla-hating roomie gave me a decant of this she was frimped, so lo!

Wet: In the imp, I get vanilla-laced sheets from this. It's oddly green to me. Maybe the tobacco?

On skin: Vanilla! And more vanilla. A tiny bit of cotton, no cognac that I can detect. Sadly, no tobacco for me.

Dry: ... Dorian? What are you doing here? As weird as this is, Black Lace on me is a slightly less bright-and-bitey musky version of Dorian. Pretty, to be sure, but ultimately my man Dorian. Since most BPAL ultimately turns to vanilla on me anyway (regardless of whether or not it's an actual ingredient), I'm afraid that I'll have to swap this out to a better hope. Feh.