Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Teggy

Mechanical Phoenix

A mechanical construct: illustrating strong work ethic, determination, creativity, and innovation.
Copper gears, brass cogs, fused wiring, scorched iron, and motor oil.

This is not nearly as harsh or yucky as it sounds. I love metallic scents and this reminds me of a softer version of my beloved Bed of Nails with no wood note in the background. It's kind of like...metallic lotion. Soft, almost like a man's cologne, rather than tangy, burned, and dirty.

If you like metallics or more unisex blends, definately try it. Especially if you found Bed of Nails to be a little to potent for your taste. Mechanical Phoenix is a bit more gentle.

MECHANICAL PHOENIX

I can't get over this.

I've been trying to finish this review for over an hour and my eyes keep misting up. Talk about Proustian memory. When I first smelled this I had a sudden flash of myself as a child, running around my Dad's shop, jumping oil puddles and grease stains, climbing over car jacks, and hiding behind toolboxes. But this is more than a memory that has welled up. This scent IS my dad; it's his life and work, his work ethic, his innovative and mechanical, power-driven approach to everything. It fits so well with the concept that Beth set forth for this anniversary Phoenix. She nailed the scent.

Mechanical Phoenix smells like cogs and gears, metal tools, and dirty smears of oil that mar the sheen of smooth metals. This is a gentle scent, despite the metal and oil. It has a unisex/masculine air about it and a sweet, light background that I believe might be a floral or light musk.

Mechanical Phoenix is what I would smell when I'd run up to hug my dad; even after cleaning up there would be a slight tinge of the scent of motor oil that mingled with his cologne. I find that combination both rugged and genteel at the same time. This would smell great on any male, or on anyone that likes light metallic, cool scents, or on anyone that likes the uniqueness of a fragrance that invokes motor oil as part of its outcome.

This is not at all what I was expecting! To me this smells like ozone, ozone, and more ozone, with a hint of something sweet - like grass, leaves, or corn husks - burning in the distance.

I'm excited, because I can't wear most ozone scents...and this one actually works on me without turning soapy or otherwise offensive. It's amazingly smooth and soft; it isn't acrid or harsh at all.

After a few hours, it gets a tang to it - the iron edge of slick, wet blood. It's rather lovely.

bottle: um, this is so light i don't know what to make of it. it certainly does not smell like a hot machine.

wet: this is sort of a... well... it reminds me of a soft ozone scent or maybe a very light aquatic. it is like a soft men's cologne.

dry: if this is to be any sort of mechanical, it smells more like new technology right out of the box. really, this dries to an understated metallic sort of scent. quite nice.

I had such high hopes for this, but it doesn't smell anything like any sort of metal or machine oil.

It's straight up men's cologne, and very strong. I smell bay and maybe a citrus and some sort of woody note, and almost a floral undercurrent. There may be ozone, if so it's hiding under the 'OMG cologne!'

Starting to wonder if it's a mislabeled bottle, because it's so very far from what I expected.

Mechanical Phoenix – This is nothing like I expected. It’s a gorgeous ozone with hints of the metal, oil, etc. from the description, but it doesn’t smell like sticking your head in a car engine, even though it does evoke memories of being in high school and working with my dad on the car in the garage. It’s a masculine scent (IMO) and not one I’d find myself wearing for fragrance, but it’s a really phenomenal blend that I could easily see many men being able to wear and some women, as well. It’s more subtle than I expected, as well, although it’s not particularly a skin scent. Overall, despite preferring not to smell like this myself, I think it’s an excellent scent and captures exactly what Beth was trying to accomplish with this blend.

straight sniff from imp is totally d00dish and lots of alcohol... :P

ok...applied some odd oily note...almost anise-like...slight burning...like

rubber...not my cup of tea

In bottle/imp: Ozone, sharp musk, and citrus.

Immediately on skin: This is a sharp scent, and IMO very masculine. It’s very metallic with a lot of ozone going on and a citrus type feel to it. It smells like men’s cologne, just very refined and strong. It’s wonderfully blended. It almost reminds me of a sharper and stronger version of Door 13. It’s a sharp, cold metallic ozone scent with a clean edge to it.

After a few minutes: Ah, now I get the “Mechanical” part of this blend. After wearing this for an hour or so, there’s an oily scent that comes out. It blends with the metallic ozone in a way that really does remind me of gears and metal. It’s not as sharp anymore, and the oily note has softened up the blend. It still has a cleaner, masculine cologne type of feel though.

Overall Impressions: Though this blend brings pictures of oily, shined metal to mind, it really seems to be a wearable blend. It smells strongly of ozone to me, with a metallic feel and an oily undertone. It is masculine to unisex, but I could see how this could morph to be slightly more feminine on some. It’s not my personal taste, but I could see both men and women wearing this. If I had to compare this to an existing blend, it would be that it’s a stronger, sharper version of Door 13, plus that oily undertone (and a little less citrus and more ozone). It’s an imaginative blend for sure!

sniffed from the bottle, this is a yummy men's cologne... something like Gravity or Halston Z-14. nothing too exotic or trendy, just traditionally male. and quite yummy.

(and for a few brief seconds, reminded me of one of the Gap fragrances from the mid 90's ... Heaven is the one i'm thinking of... i think?

on skin: for a few minutes there's amazing throw of the same scent i got from sniffing the bottle, but it quickly goes through some crazy changes... the first was almost rubber, then the tang of tarnished metal (copper/brass/iron)... rounding out with some Gojo hand cleaner that's been used and re-used and scraped back off into the bucket. (yeah, sounds gross but that stuff can be reused for at least 20 years and never stops working, even if it is no longer green or orange or whatever the original colour was)

there's definitely some motor oil in here, too

but what's crazy to me.... is that after about two hours of constant morphing... the original men's cologne scent comes back. a little bit different, but still a yummy & hard-working man.

Wet: Hmm more ozone than metallic but not bad. kind of hard for me to describe.

Dry down: The ozone is still there but I am getting the metallic feel. Not in the smell so much as in my mouth. Whenever I smell it I get a blood taste in my mouth that I associate with iron. Wierd

Dry. It fades really fast, which is sad because it was an interesting smell. Unfortunately I hate the taste of blood and iron and the taste in my mouth makes this one a no go.

... I need to go eat something to get rid of the taste.

There was a period of time where I wore CK1 alot. This reminds me of that only more metallic and interesting.

Its very coloney, but I can really get the idea of metal and gears from it....ozoney and bitter with a bite of something citrusy. It lasts well....though the throw on me isn't too strong. I'll certainly wear this when I'm in a gender ambiguous state of mind!

This is the first BPAL I've found that is universally loved by both myself and the 3 guys I live with! Also, it smells wonderful on all of us!

In the bottle and on for the first several minutes: Beautiful, almost sweet (in a powdery way, not a foody way) ozone. Definitely metallic, but not in a sharp or cold way- More like something worn and reliable.

After 10-30 minutes (I wasn't paying close attention to the time), something else earthy and powdery showed up- it actually made me think of gray feathers, if that makes any sense at all.

Right after that, the motor oil comes in, and it's gorgeous and earthy. I was driving though town and kept half expecting to see grease smears on my hands when I glanced down at them. It so reminded me of my dad and I working on my car years ago- almost brought a tear to my eye! Coincidentally, my car needed oil and antifreeze today, and getting the oil on my fingers only improved the smell!

Also, every now and then I would catch a brief whiff of something VERY manly- like a mechanic who's been working all day just walking past you briefly. This was strangely comfy...

Nice subtle morpher that is wonderful the whole way through- I might have to pick up another bottle before it flies away!

This is a shokingly wonderful scent on me. It sounds like the antithesis of what I can wear.

Ozone scents usually all smell the same to me (high pitched and overbearing) and metallic notes are just m'eh.

Yet somehow, Mechanical Phoenix ends up being an all time favorite BPAL. Thank goodness there's still time to order a bottle.

What this is for me is a bit of lovely musk, a touch of leather, man's sweat and some metal in the background. The ozone is faint and mainly just adding some atmosphere, so to speak.

Adding the notes that come out on my skin with the name "Mechanical Phoenix" what I get is Hephaestus!

This is him in his workshop surrounded by all the wonders he creates for the gods and goddesses in Olympus.

Curious what a perfume can evoke.

Addendum- two weeks later, the cologne side of this which had previously alluded me is now prevalent on the opening. It seems to be sort of lavender/evergreen/leather. On dry down, there's still the musk and metal. What I think is sort of like leather now has more of a balsamic quality.

This scent varies a lot due to the cyclical change of my skin chemistry.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

Ooooh my.

This is just what I hoped for and more. When I read the description I knew I had to order a bottle immediately. I only had funds for one of the anniversary blends at the time, and this HAD to be the one I got my grasping little hands on first.

I had a brief moment of panic just in case all my spasms of excitement over it were to be sadly let down.

They weren't.

GAH!

This is like Kataniya's masculine twin brother. The oil/metallic scent is exactly the same as hers, to me. All it's missing is the florals. And oooooh, it's lovely. Just like Kataniya, this WILL require multiple back ups.

The throw on it is really good and it has a VERY slighly under average lifespan on my skin but it's not too bad at all. The mechanical blends are the biggest of my suprises with BPAL so far. I'd NEVER have thought I'd fall so totally head over heels in love with them as I have. I simply can't get enough.

At first: Lots of metal.

On: Harsh metal.

4 hours later: A fresh scent with lots of metal. Very odd, but nice.

6 hours later: I don't know why I like this, but I do. It smells faintly of metal.

Overall: This has a bit of an ozone-y feel to it after a while, which I usually hate, but the metal makes me like it. This is a happy surprise.

In bottle, wet, and dry: this is a men's cologne that makes me huff wrist and drool. It smells familiar, like "that guy," but there is no IMDB for fragrance, so I'm lost.

I don't even know how to describe this. This can't count as a review. It's metallic, sharp, and hot. After a couple hours' worth of drydown it smells like the one night stand you'll regret but never forget. This is a cold gigalo fragrance, and yeah, I want more.

Mechanical Phoenix - upon first application I got a great whiff of a cologne I'm sure I've smelled somewhere before and very ozone-y. After being on my skin for a few hours, I can smell some citrus, just a hint of sweetness, but it's still all cologne on me.

I had hopes, but I'm going to have to pass. (Or save for a man. :P One can dream!) Mechanical Phoenix would smell heavenly on a man.

Ozone and shiny copper! As it dries, the copper becomes more prominent -- on a close sniff I can almost taste it; then again, I do like this sort of thing. After an hour or so, more of a machine oil note develops. I won't wear it daily, but it is perfect for certain moods, and very evocative.

I definitely don't get metal here, but I do get strong men's cologne. Not in a bad way, I actually think it's pretty sexy and would smell downright fantastic on a guy. Not quite what I expected though and it is VERY masculine. Great masculine scent however, I will be keeping my imp just to make the hubby try it on :P

I wanted something oily and machine-like, but all I get from this blend is men's cologne over some faint ozone notes. It's nice that it's more wearable than I thought it was going to be, but I was sort of hoping for something more like a novelty perfume.

Initially this is very strong cologne, and impassive hit it on the head- it does smell very familiar, but it's not evoking a specific time in my life, so I couldn't tell you what it is.

As it dries, it comes down very close to my skin. Is there something like House of Mirrors here? I think there is a grounding note coming through that will deepen with age. It's masculine, but wearable. I like it more and more as it dries, but I am not getting a sharp metallic/motor oily scent, which I wanted. I'm not sure I love this one, but I'll have to see how it settles into its own skin, so to speak. I think it might be something I can wear during winter. Sorry this is just a random stream of thoughts! I was hoping to give a more helpful, coherent review. I may update later with how it settles. I will say this (again): The more it dries, the more I like it.

Mmm... steampunk. In the bottle: Men's cologne. I'm betting this is fougere based, and there's an ozone element to it. Oddly sexy. Wet: Surprisingly soft compared to the forceful presentation in the bottle. Still very men's cologne, but much gentler, more androgynous. I'm getting a definite metallic edge, but my fear that it really would smell like motor oil was unfounded. The ozone that I'm guessing represents scorched wiring is a pleasant tang to me instead of the teeth gritting nightmare of the real thing. It really does smell like eau de Etherite, if that mad scientist was a steampunk mechanical genius ala Wild wild West instead of a reanamator like Herbert West. Steampunk sexy for sure, it smells like well turned out Victorian gentleman who spend the day building a steamliner to go to the moon and is now freshly shaved and cologned for a dinner party. Dry: The more delicate elements burn away, but what's left is a really pleasant aftershave scent. I am wondering if there's some wood in this, as I'd guess a hint of evergreen, though I could be mistaken. I love this so much that I rather wish I could afford a second to horde. The effect is drier, like a workshop smells, saw dust and metal shavings under cologne. still that hint of ozone. Mmmmm.... So in love. Added Note: 13 hours after application it was still going strong.

I saw the description for this and knew I had to have it (I have phoenix wings tattooed on me, and an obsession with mechanical devices). And then about a MILLION PEOPLE world wide emailed me and told me I had to try it. Mmm, steampunk. It was delivered on the train this morning while I was sleep deprived after watching Velvet Goldmine the night before.

In the imp, it has a sort of cool men's cologne type smell, but with something more complex behind it. There seems to be a sort of lemon verbena edge. This is worrying me because I'm not getting anything metallic at all whatsoever. However, after a little the metal begins to edge through and make itself known, which is good. And thankfully it begins to come through more and more. There is a more complex edge, almost dusty, or warm underlying this. The cologne is possibly too strong for me, though I did put a lot of the perfume on to work out whether I wanted one or two bottles. Gradually settles into a dry, metallic, sweet note that I like.

Note: Having read from folks that this is like the Clockwork Woman except not floral...I'll be sticking to this. Florals are to be feared. Fearrrrr.

This stuff is fascinating.

It really does smell like machines and a little cologne, and there's a hot machine oil scent coming up now, or maybe it's hot metal.

It reminds me a lot of friday or saturday night shift at the factory, about thirty years ago, when Rico Martinez would come up behind me and start singing, "Amorcita corazon, yo tengo tentacion..." and I could smell his cologne. I can hear the noise of the machines on the line now....

I really like this scent. It's fairly potent and long lasting, and I would call it masculine, but not completely out of the realm for women (from the reviews, sounds like at least some of the girls around here like it!).

It smells zingy to me, with a touch of ozone, rather metallic (I have no idea how Beth does that), and I personally smell a touch of lime in here too. Overall the effect as others have said is cologne or after-shave, with an industrial flavor, which sounds totally weird, but......just read the description. If you think that sounds good, you would probably like it.

Comparison time: this reminds me of Scarecrow's industrial counterpart. Metal Scarecrow. I'm not sure if they even share any notes but the feeling of it kept reminding me of Scarecrow, somehow. I almost want a whole bottle of this, even with my new, more strict decants-not-bottles rule.

Edit: Forgot to add.......there really is a motor oil note in this. I can definitely smell it. And oddly it works!

Edited by Forspecial Plate