Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Teggy

Mechanical Phoenix

A mechanical construct: illustrating strong work ethic, determination, creativity, and innovation.
Copper gears, brass cogs, fused wiring, scorched iron, and motor oil.

Initial Thoughts: I want this so badly it's not even funny. Seriously. OMG.

And yet I have no idea what I'm expecting it to smell like.

In the imp: Moment of truth! This is... floral? A thin, slightly metallic floral. Very clean without being 'fresh' or 'wet'.

On the wrist, wet: Cologne. This a men's scent, strait off the bat... and hey, I do kinda get the metallic. It's not recognisably floral on my skin, but it's also completely without the resinous body I usually would expect in this kind of a scent.

Twenty minutes later: This pretty much dissapears on me. All that's left is a very faint smell of metal and men's cologne.

Verdict: Dissapointing. I don't think I'm even going to keep the imp.

Tl;Dr: Metallic cologne, shame it doesn't last longer. Edited by GentlemanCaller

A totally cleaned up grease monkey aroma. Like, he's been working in the shop all day, but used the gritty handsoap, because there's a 'thing' he's being dragged to tonight with the in-laws.

First Sniff: Ozone, gears and grease. I smell B.

On skin: Wow. This smells like my husband. It's oily and masculine. Metallic and manly. Wait...do I detect a blast of floral??

Drydown: This is amazing. It smells like B's jacket, oily, but clean at the same time.

Final thoughts: A keeper. Unisex, but at the same time, more masculine than anything. A perfect scent to slather on my pillow and binky, when B's away. smirk...

In The Bottle

Metallic and thin

On Application

As above. I can pick out lavender

Dry Down

Smells of a fine gentleman's cologne.

Rating (0-5)

This is wonderful!! :P Sweet and golden and warm. Later it has almost an aquatic freshness to it as well. I'll be searching for a bottle ASAP! I think I must be a fan of the metal notes. Guess I should head over to the Steamworks side of the lab :D

First sniff: I think this is the richest ozoney scent I’ve ever smelled. The stormy-air scent is most prominent, but there’s something warm and golden and metallic underneath it (and it’s definitely a warm metallic, which isn’t something I’m used to either). Truly fascinating.

Wearing: It’s a mad scientist’s laboratory, lightning and metal and fire and unidentifiable liquids bubbling away in beakers. It’s weird. And I really, really like it.

Mechanical Phoenix

In the imp: masculine perfume, as I expected from a metal scent. I do smell lavender to this though.

Wet on skin: manly perfume with an undertone of smoke.

Dry: hmm, not bad! Yes, it does go the aftershave route like most BPAL metal scents, but this one doesn’t smell so much like generic deodorant and more like something more sophisticated. Gentlemanly, for sure, but also very intriguing and very much matching the description. I smell the sleek perfume of something like lavender and woods and herbs, maybe a chypre of some kind, with a bit of ozone…but I also smell the smoke, something rubbery or like melted plastic, crackling electricity or the light of a welding torch, hot solder and even a little bit of motor oil! It kind of reminds me vaguely of a cross between garages and my old DT workshop at school. But it works here and it smells quite nice! This smells like a sexy mechanic, actually. This would be amazing on a man.

After a while: oh yes, this is what I hoped more of the metallic/mechanical scents would smell like on me. it’s not something I would wear as perfume now as it smells too much like melted plastic, oiled gears, burnt rubber and rust with the crackle of electricity (along with that scent of ‘fit car mechanic’) but it is unbelievably evocative and unsettlingly authentic. This does smell like the notes say it should.

Ok, now this is getting weird…I could cope with the rubbery, oily, metallic, grimy garage scents from before. But now I seem to be smelling civet here, of all things. I have no idea why, but I get something almost like civet to this…and it’s a bit more rubbery now. Something robotic shouldn’t smell animalistic, I don’t think…

Thankfully the civet is short lived, and the scent then turns into a slightly burnt, rubbery, but surprisingly wearable masculine white musk scent. It’s also a little bit sweet now. For once, a scent that smells of plastic and burnt rubber and tar that’s meant to smell this way!

Verdict: this is Kataniya’s boyfriend. Heavy and metallic and well oiled, this phoenix is the ultimate metal-mechanical scent that I’ve tried. I’m quite impressed by it-though it does go perfumey like most metal themed scents do, it still manages to retain a realistic scent of steel and copper, rust and motor oil, and fizzing sparks of ozone, with an undertone of wearable, if manly, musky-woodsy perfume. it’s a little too masculine for me and there are times when the rubber and oil notes go strange on me. but the concept is great and it’s well realised here, amazing how this really does smell like the notes say.. though I do find Metal Phoenix more wearable as a perfume.

Emoticon rating: :thumbsup:

Is it a keeper? No-but it’s so well done and uncannily realistic!

If you like this, try: Metal Phoenix, Kataniya, Torture Queen, anything in Steamworks but especially Phoenix Steamworks and Galvanic Goggles

Huh.. in the imp it smells like a strange mix of florals and oil.

Well, nothing metallic or oil like on my skin. It's.. floral. What? I have no idea what is going on here. It smells like a cheap floral perfume. Blah, off to swaps with you.

Wow, this is an older one! And my first review :)

In the bottle: It smells smooth but I really can't pick anything out (I think Gluttony had temporarily burned out my nose!) Reminds me of men's cologne.

On my skin wet: I'm getting a little ozone, but it's turning into baby power. Ick >_<

Dry down: It's getting a little sharper as it dries. As it's completely dry, Iron. Metallic, bitter iron. Very cool!

As the day passes, to my horror it reverts back to baby powder.

Very interesting scent for the iron-stage, but I guess this one just doesn't work on me @_@

Hmm! Loved the description though. It just made me want to see what all these crazy notes are about.

What I get is, A very masculine blend. Slightly ozoney and slightly citrussy. A bit of a dissapointment really. It smells quite generic. Like one of those kinda imitations you get in certain shops. :(

Oh dear sorry...not loving this one.

The dry stage makes me think slightly of Obsession by Calvin Klein, but only when it's really dry. Other than that? Not very special on me at all!

there have been very few blends that i've tested that i've gone, oh this is really really REALLY masculine, so masculine i can't wear it.

this unfortunately is one of them. it's also one of the strongest blends that i've tried.

in the imp and wet, i just get a blast of cologne. it's very clean and while i have little to no experience with metallic notes, this does remind me a lot of copper.

dry, this smells exactly like a guy i dated in college- this goes straight into axe territory and with all the same problems that i have with axe. it's very strong- i didn't even really apply it so much as sort of spray myself with the imp on accident and i'm in a very clean, soapy, male-ish haze. this actually reminds a lot of a guy i know who's really into steam punk. i just have no interest in smelling like him, personally.

it's very fresh and clean and borders on aquatic for me. i could see this working very well on the right guy, but it's going back into a pack on the rehoming thread!

In imp: This is my first metallic blend. It does evoke oil and warm metal in a close space. There's the faintest zing of clean citrus.

On skin: Hmm, it's vanishing very fast, I can barely smell it. When I do, it evokes grease and oil, polished and shiny metal; a light scent but "close" and not airy. Definitely like an enclosed engine. Overall it's quite insubstantial. Seems like metallic notes just disappear on my skin (especially when I'm cold), since the same happened to The Robotic Scarab.

Verdict: I can barely smell Mechanical Phoenix to make a good review. I guess metallic blends aren't for me; blame my skin chemistry. For swaps.

Wowza, this is definitely clean, sharp men's cologne! It's a heavy sent and I get a good deal of ozone. I can't quite pinpoint it but it does smell a lot like one of the common chain/drugstore aftershaves. I wish I could remember the name... maybe Brut? Gah, can't recall.

This is very DH, BF friendly. I like a lot of masculine scents but I prefer the woods-y types. I'm glad I got to try it, though!

A remarkably delicate little scent – clean, light and ozoney, with hints of metal and pale florals, but surprisingly ethereal for what it's supposed to be. None of the solidity and power I'd associate with iron and oil, scorched parts and spinning gears here. To me this scent evoked silver filigree more than anything else - this Mecha Phoenix couldn't stomp Tokyo if it tried!

It stayed close to the skin, but lasted over six hours on me. Probably a good light scent for warmer weather?

I liked it, but unfortunately something that happened while I was testing it created a scent-memory association that means I never want to touch it again. Damn. :sad: