Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
minilux

Perversion

The perfect scent to wear to your next bondage ball, dungeon adventure or sojourn to your favorite pleasure dome. Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka.

Oh wow, this is divine. Thank goddess I didn't let the rum in the description throw me off (I hate the smell of rum). Unlike others here, I don't get any coconut; on me this smells like I was wearing Kali and then went out and rolled around with a hot dirty stranger. :P I get a smoke/wine/hot skin smell from this for about the first two hours and then it sweetens just a bit, with the smokey note evaporating. This is easily the most down and dirty-salacious BPAL I have tried yet and is definitely going to be a big bottle for me. It's just magnificent, not to mention spellbindingly addictive. I didn't even think you could bottle something like this. Edited by Shollin

Perversion from the Love Potions, this a frebbie fom te lab, other wise I wouldn't have tried it, was well received.

Went on wet smelling a smokey rum with tobacco and a hint of sweetness, that I assumed was the tonka, the charodonnay was in background.

Yes it was a bit on the heavy side and after drying down it got lighter with a sweet creaminess with both the rum and charodonnay, tobacco playing along. I enjoyed this scent very much, because really i've probably wouldn't have got this for myself. Still had a smokey tone about it.

It has amazingly long staying power, I got that sexy feel about it as well, can't say enough about it, I want a bigger bottle. :P

Perversion has coconut as a dominant note on me. I thought that I might get a 10ml of this but now I think not. I like it, Its just that I have enough coconut oil and I dont want to smell like that is all im wearing. :P After about 10 min the chardonnay, rum and tonka bean make its way through. I dont know if I will even get a 5ml yet, But I still do like it and Im going to use up the Imp. :D

Perversion goes on smelling like leather that's been sweetened with a rubbing of coconut oil. The coconut note is barely identifiable, it melds with the leather to such an extent that it comes through only as a sweetness.

As time passes, the leather remains most prominent, but a new secondary note steps forward -- this must be the tonka bean.

This oil seems to hit a nice plateau at this point - sweet, vaguely resinous leather - and remains there for hours. Very nice! I really like the way this works on me. I tested some on my sweetie, as well, and it wore pretty much the same way on him as it did on me. Yep, I think we'll probably *each* need a big bottle of this, especially since we're both suckers for the smell of new leather... :P

This smells like coconut suntan lotion :P

It's not bad, but I have some homemade lotion at home that this smells just like!! Theres vanilla and tonka I quess that make this smell so coconut to me. Its got that Malibu rum scent going on too. This is strong and lasts well, just not a perfume I would wear. This was a scent I thought I would love from the description but I was mistaken!! Glad I got a lil imp instead of a big bottle!

Perversion is *so* gorgeous. It's a perfect fall/winter night time perfume...all thick and sexy-smelling. I get a sort of vanilla-like scent as the dominant scent, but something else as well. Does it make any sense to say that it smells like candlelight to me? Like a dimly lit, sensuous room full of velvet cushions. Mmmmm.

Oh. My. God. This is by far my favorite BPAL. I've tried a number of lovely fragrances, but none of them have knocked me over and made me hyperventilate in lust and desire quite like this one. It goes on candy sweet - sugary and a little fruity - and mellows into a caramel/vanilla with a hint of a dark musk (leather?) Unfortunately it doesn't have the lengthy lasting power that some of the other BPALS do, but that's okay. I don't mind reapplying to savor the perfection that is Perversion all over again.

This scent is amazing. At first it smells very coconutty, reminds me of a pina colada!

As it mellows out, I can smell the leather. It stays sweet, though.

Kind of like I just pulled out my old leather jacket and when the last time I wore it, I had spilled some pina colada on it!

Yummy!

A decant from the lovely Minilux, who clearly loved it enough to buy a bottle. :P

Perversion is strongly coconut on me at first, and combined with rum smells just like a pina colada as Spanglemaker said. There is indeed a warm touch of leather and vanilla, and the longer it's on the better they blend. Which is fortunate since I don't really want to smell like a perverted pina colada. :D

What I *do* really want, though, is to slather some of this on Brian, since he loves both coconut and rum. This isn't masculine per se, but it has so many of the notes I associate with him that it seems so to me. I think it might turn into an oil that he wears and that I dab on when he's away to remind me of my pervy love. :D :D

Edited to add: I was right! I love it on Brian. I will ask him to do his own review.

Edited by Laurel_the_Woodfairy

First sniff: Perversion is big chunks of chewy, juicy coconut meat, wrapped in purple-black velvet. The coconut is very prominent, but there’s a very odd, very dark scent crowding in around it.

Wearing: Coconut heaven! I LOVE this. Smoky, sexy coconut. It’s lasted well more than eight hours and made me smile several times during a very frustrating night at work.

Perversion: the tonka bean lingers like heat around your skin, and the other notes come together in an ideal blend of light and dark.

This is the fragrance where I'm at an expensive club (mahogany, armchairs, bright brass, a fireplace), and the room in nearly empty. I'm in a well-worn leather trench coat, my case of Gauloises in the inside breast pocket, leaning back with my elbows against the bar rail, and a half-forgotten glass of black rum in my fingers. There's a panoramic view of city lights on water, and the water is as dark as my drink.

You aren't here yet.

Got this as a freebie from the Lab. :D

I never would have chosen this on my own, but that just proves why Beth is my hero...I'm in love.

First sniff:

This smells expensive. I can't put my finger on what exactly it smells like, but I'm picking up fruit (the wine, I guess) and something that smells vaguely like tobacco. It's not something I would normally have picked, but this is looking promising!

Wet on skin:

The fruit is disappearing and it's being replaced by something naggingly familiar. Something that I love the smell of, but can't identify. I know what it is, but every time I try and put my finger on it it disappears. Whatever it is, I love it!

Dry down:

Clove cigarettes! That's what it smells like! On a hunch, I compared it to USP's Clove Cigarettes perfume and, sure enough, that's what I'm smelling. I'm absolutely addicted to the smell of clove cigarettes so this is a very pleasant surprise. :D

The bottom line:

Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. I never would have picked this one out on my own, but I can't stop sniffing myself! This smells almost identical to USP's Clove Cigarettes on my skin and that alone makes it a winner in my book. This is going on the big bottle wishlist. :P

*melts into a puddle*

In the vial, Perversion is soft wine and coconut with a hint of tonka bean. It's a very sweet and heady scent.

On me, it's coconut and tonka bean with just a hint of something else that I can't quite identify, but oh my gosh, it's good.

Perversion

I've always wondered whether the inspiration for this comes from the club Perversion down in LA? ...I'll have to go to that club sometime when I'm in the area...

Initial Impression

Smells yummy. I can catch whiffs of the tobacco and the booze and the leather, with this sweet coconut base. Yum.

Wearing It

Well, once again, my skin chemistry thwarts me. The rum doesn't even show up (much like with Old Port-Au-Prince on my skin), and all that's left is tobacco, leather, and coconut. Although there's a general sweetness underneath which smells like vanilla. But for some reason I don't hate it. I usually hate vanilla.

On the whole, it was a nice scent, but I wanted to have more booziness. As it was, it was a bit too masculine (the leather and the tobacco) and a bit too sweet (I'm guessing the tonka bean?). I did, however, adore the coconut smell...which gives me faith that when I get ahold of Black Pearl that I'll absolutely adore it.

I've used up most of an imp trying to get myself to love Perversion, but I just can't :D I love Hellfire and people were saying this was the more feminine version of it. I guess it is but for some reason the leather note is strongest on me and it kind of drowns out the other notes I love. I mean, I can tell they are in there, but they are too subtle compared to the leather. I, too, am holding out for Black Pearl, hope it's :P

I didn't find this so perverse as all that. This seems warm and comforting to me--it starts out sweet, probably from the chardonnay, but deepens to a perfect blend of vanilla, smoke and spicy leather. Loviatar's leather is a hard slap, but this is the soft comfortable leather of a old brown worn leather jacket.

I ordered an imp of this for a friend for Christmas, but I couldn't resist trying just a teeny drop first. :D

It is so good! I'm really glad I tried it. On me, I definitely smell the tobacco, but it's tempered by the soft sweetness of...something, I guess that's the tonka. There's also a tingley chardonnay note in there, and it lifts the scent just perfectly. I smell like I've been somewhere smokey, but my skin also smells sweet and warm and that chardonnay makes me want to lick myself :P

I'm so happy to have found a scent that isn't fruity and isn't incense-y that I can wear well! I like fruit and I like the other stuff I can wear, but this is just so different. I love it. Now I'm going to have to get my own imp or bottle ASAP!

I didn't think I had written a review for Perversion yet.

Honestly, I really don't like ALL of Beth's blends but I do tend to review the one's I like.

My first Persersion was an Imp tucked into one of my orders. It was quite awhile before I tried it but when I did, I was smitten.

The fragrance is really yummy. Perversion reminds me of sitting in a brand new car with lux leather interior & (god forbid) eating a Cadbury Milk Cocolate bar.

But.....

It's even better than that because there's no mess, no calories & the scent lasts & lasts.

I bought a 5 ml.

Added: This settles down into the most exquisite floral. It's really wonderful for this time of year; particularly if you can't wear blends with cinnamon oil.

Edited by Red_Hot_Mama

Oh wow. Can you say amazing? This is absolutely fantastic!

Having said that, I must admit that my nose is all confused now. Perversion is definitely not something I would have ordered, since Wanda, Loviatar and other leather/alcohol blends never worked too well on me. But the lovely Chin gave me her imp the other day and I immediately fell in love with Perversion. The thing is, I don't get any leather, or rum, or tobacco from this. Or any disturbing vibe, for that matter. Does that mean that I am so completely debauched that I take Perversion for granted? :P

Seriously though, I would have expected this to have fruit in it, maybe some patchouli, maybe some amber. Now I can see that the fruitiness probably comes from the wine, and the earthy roundness from the tobacco/leather/tonka combination.

A complete riddle for my befuddled nose, but a keeper for sure, and I am seriously contemplating a big bottle.

Edited by Ishtar

In the vial: I smell bubblegum, tobacco, wine and leather! That IS a perverted combo, I must say!

Wet, on my skin: Hmmm....this has immediately turned into Tarot: The Star, with perhaps a little bit less fruitiness.

On drydown: Yep, contains all the coconutty goodness of Tarot: The Star, but adds a little more sweetness--perhaps it's the tonka. I can't believe no one else has mentioned the similarity yet! Or maybe it's just my chemistry. At any rate, I really like it! I'm a gourmand scent kind of girl, and Perversion is definitely ME! Does that make me a pervert? Eh. I don't care! :P

Imp sniff: Mmmm...I really hate coconut (to eat), but this is rather tasty smelling....mmm, tasty indeed! Very sweet.

Initial swab: Woah, sweet coconut indeed. I'm not getting too many more notes aside from coconut. All the other notes are well blended and in the background.

Drydown: Coconut with a sweet touch of vanilla (could just be my skin chemistry) and something else...something I can't put my finger on. It keeps this one from becoming pure sweet coconut. Also smells a little "candle-y" to me as so many of the warmer oils do.

Overall: While I liked this very much at first..something about it now is twitching my nose a little. I'm enjoying the warm sweet softness of the coconut tapered with other soft sweet warm notes..but there is something lurking in the background that just doesn't sit well with me and almost gives it a "fake" kind of smell. I'll definitely give this one another shot or two - it's perfectly divine and I'm sure it's just my stupid chemistry getting in the way.

Edit: It's about 6 hours later and Perversion is still, not quite "going strong" but is lasting much better than all the other oils I've tried, save LEs. I've decided a few more things out about this one. I'm still torn between "love and icky", but this oil is something I could envision a stripper wearing. Sending out a message of "cleanliness", and innocence tinged with a naughty air. It's like the scent of a massage oil or sex oil or lube or whatever. :D This is the first real permanent scent I've found to be utterly perfect for its description/name. Perversion indeed. :P

Edited by Sara

When I first put this on, I could smell the coconut with something warm in the background. The coconut fades on me after maybe 15 minutes and I'm left with a smoky rum scent. Very nice to wear on a cold day!

Perversion is a warm, cloudy gold color. It actually smells exactly like Snake Oil on me but without the spice. It seems to have good lasting power, and hasn't changed much since after the coconut went away. I'll definitely use up my imp.

I adore coconut, but I did not get much of that in this blend, not like I do in Black Pearl or The Star. Yet, I can clearly pick out something that's sort of in the coconut/vanilla/tonka range, plus the leather and smoke. When my husband smelled this on me, his first comment was, "You smell like gingerbread." It's weird, but I can see where he's coming from. This dries down into a definitely spicy, gingery sort of smell. I also get the same leather drydown that happens in the background of Tintagel, though fortunately not in such a fabric softener kind of way.

Final verdict, I just can't decide what to think of this one. The tobacco and leather overpower the other stuff too much on my skin--I wish it had just a hair bit more sweetness to compensate. I might try doing some blending with other scents and see what happens.

OOH! I wasn*t keen on trying this, but I went ahead and got it ni a swap...and I*m really pleased I did! Again, I can*t pick out individual notes to save my life, but I put it on before going to a dance party, and it went perfectly with my outfit (silver beaded silk dress and long black cloak). This is upscale, classy, and is now fighting with Black Widow as my "expensive perfume" for nights out at the theatre or the opera (or things like that). Very grown-up.

I*m kinda sad nobody asked me what perfume I was wearing at the party... :P

I wanted to love this, I really did. But the leather note in BPALs gets amped up bigtime by my skin and the overall effect is not a pleasing olfactory experience. Perversion smelled, simply put, like dirty coconut on me. I didn't get any of the other notes in the description, which would have tempered the leather and coconut notes nicely had they appeared.

Edited to add:

I wrote the above review based on a swapped imp. When I got an imp of Perversion fresh from the Lab, it was a completely different experience. I can smell chardonnay in the wet phase, and the smokiness and leather scent in the drydown is tempered by the sweetness of the tonka bean note. I'm now awaiting a 5 ml bottle of Perversion, and it is definitely in my Top Twenty list.

Edited by tempete