Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
minilux

Perversion

The perfect scent to wear to your next bondage ball, dungeon adventure or sojourn to your favorite pleasure dome. Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka

Perversion: Wickedgoddess sugested I try this one on my skin at will call and oh am I glad I did! In the bottle it smelled way too boozy for me, but once on it turned smoky and sweet...I too smell coconut and just that hint of leather with a little bit of spice. I wore it out tonight and one of my male friends kept hugging me and sniffing all evening. Yummy!

Edited by Kimocean

This scent was nice but nothing special on me. I really did not get any spiciness or tobacco from it (skin chemistry is a funny thing and never ceases to amaze me!).

Perversion overwhelmingly smelled like subdued tonka/vanilla and coconut to me--very pleasant and mild but ultimately forgettable. I would've used up my imp, but I had an incident (impcident?) and it spilled everywhere. No bottle for me.

In the bottle this reminds me quite exactly of this house I used to visit occasionally... I always seemed to go at night, and it always smelled like cigars and rum. This one stays pretty true to it’s “bottle scent” when I wear it... as far as I can tell, Perversion has my favourite tobacco note so far. I don’t get any leather from this (which is odd, because my skin vamps leather in every other blend that has it) or tonka, but that’s fine by me.

As it dries it becomes more and more tobacco, and that’s how it ends up. Practically a single note. : )

this one is a morpher on me... it starts out sweet while it's wet, but on the drydown, I get the dreaded leather of DeSade. But, whereas DeSade was nothing but leather, there's more components of this one, so I waited it out and was treated to a soft creaminess that reminds me of shea butter. Strange, Yes, I know!! After an hour or so, it morphs yet again into a soft spiciness with a very VERY gentle DeSade leather undertone.

I like. I likes it lots and will be seeking a bottle when I can.

:P

Perversion-

In Bottle: Mmm, vanilla and butter rum and pipe tobacco. Oh, please work on my skin.

Wet: Tobacco must blooms, but I remember that must; it turns out okay after a bit. Butter rum also comes out, oh yes! I smell COCONUT; where's that coming from?

Dry: The must didn't last longer than a few seconds. Joy! This is like Malibu Rum (the coconut kind) turned into a skin scent. Lasts a good long time but is never so bland or sweet as plain pina colada or some fruity girly business like that. This is rich and delicious and complex. I'm totally in love.

Overall: I love.

In the bottle: Somewhat tobaccoey, somewhat coconutty.

On me: The tobacco becomes much more obvious after it is on about two minutes. Before that, it's all sweet spice. Then it's tonka and tobacco all the way, with a touch of leather (the same level of leather I get in, say, Severin, which is my favorite GC so far.) Sweet and dirty. Might need a bottle.

This is really, really nice. I say this with some surprise because BPAL's "naughty" blends are often too heavy on me. Love them in the bottle, but can't wear them.

This one starts out with lots of tonka and chardonnay, with the chardonnay fading fairly quickly. As it dries, the tobacco and leather come out and mix with the tonka in a nice, edgy way. I really like this stage.

After an hour, tonka and a faint background of fruit -- maybe the chardonnay resurfacing. Much less throw now, and if I wanted to be noticed in a crowd, I'd reapply.

In the vial this is a boozy, warm vanilla-caramel scent, like butterscotch schnapps (probably a combination of the rum and tonka)... Mmm! On my skin this starts smelling like a vanilla-and-coconut-rum drink, with a darker base (perhaps the leather and tobacco) running through it – it’s a darkly naughty scent, and not a tropical cocktail on my skin! After a few hours on my skin, this reminds me of another BPAL scent that I can’t place right now; it has a warm, ever so slightly smoky and leather-like base with a faded sweetness over the top of it.

In the imp: Boozy tobacco with rich vanilla creme

Wet on my skin: This is very well-balanced, so much so that it's hard for me to pick out the individual notes at first. The rum and tobacco hit my nose first, and I can detect the leather in the background. It's a very "clean" leather note that is identical to the way deSade smells on me. But it's such a subtle leather, that even leather-haters might like this. And oh, the tonka smells wonderful, like a deep smoky vanilla with a hint of coconut.

Drydown: I'm very impressed with how this one is working on me. The rum isn't overly boozy and I'm not getting any butter from it at all. The tobacco is staying sweet and woodsy, and the leather adds a clean almost herbal scent. It's still a little spicy, like there could be a pinch of clove in there, but I suspect it's just the play of the other notes. The tonka is so dark and creamy, and I suspect it's what is smoothing out this whole blend so well. As the drydown progresses, I finally get a hint of fruity wine, but it's so gentle that I can barely detect it.

Overall: Perversion is a very well-blended and lovely scent on me. It isn't "too" anything, which is amazing because in my experience rum, tobacco, and leather are all notes that have a tendancy to run rampant. It's warm and mysterious and would be dead sexy on a man or woman. I hope my husband likes it, because it would make for some delicious neck-nuzzling. I'm in awe that one little imp can manage to be this boozy, woodsy, spicy, creamy, sweet, and darkly seductive all at the same time without spiraling out of control. Is it really this good, or is it just perfect for my skin chemistry? Who cares? I need a bottle of this now, because I don't think my imp is going to last long.

Well I think it's pretty safe to say that foody smells just don't do it for me.

wet and dry this is all coconut, vanilla and the most vague trace of wood.

Nothing to write home about.

In bottle: A lot of rum and what I assume is tonka - it's a caramelly scent. A hint of the chardonnay (or at least the scent I associate with chardonnay, unsure whether that's really it), but no detectable tobacco or leather.

Wet: Very delightful. Less rum, but it's still present. I might smell a little tobacco. Still quite warm.

Dry: Almost cinnamony, caramelly goodness. It's sweet and warm, quite nice. Not a whole lot of throw, but it is strong. Still no tobacco or leather, but it smells like something that might go well with them, if that makes sense. I don't know anything about pleasure domes, but I like this!

I got two frimps of Perversion in my Halloweenie order.

In the Imp: Dirt, soap, chemicals

Wet: Musk, wood, something sweet. I'm still being overpowered by a soapy smell. Hopefully it will fade.

Dry: Mmm, that's better. Sweet musk, vanilla, spices, wood, it's still very masculine but getting sweeter and spicier. Cloves! I love cloves! Ahhhh. Much much better. Tobacco.

A few minutes later: This has settled into something warm and spicy. Not as masculine as before. I can see that this one might be really wonderful after it has aged, but it's still a little to masculine for me. I think these are going to go into my swap pile.

Edited by Tempest

imp: dusky, fruity, mildly spicy

wet: ooooo...spicy...but also a little plasticy fruit like. We'll see.

dry: plastic Strawberry Shortcake Doll-like fruit. NOT burnt plastic like some of them...but plastic fruit. ble. What a bummer.

I didn't get any of the notes in the description.

Oh poo!

:P

The reviews of this are fascinating--I get no rum, tonka, leather, nothing from this but pure tobacco. But it's gorgeous tobacco. It's like that lovely smell when someone smoking a pipe is near you. I'm not sure I'd wear it everywhere, but I will definitely pull this one out next time I'm going to a smoky bar.

The guys at work get weak in the knees when I wear this one. a delicious tobacco, boozy, caramelly note. One of my favorites. I'm almost through the imp and will need a bigger replacement soon! :P

Perversion gives me a thick, heady pipe tobacco, rum, and what smells like burnt coconut. The vanilla is going plasticky on me, probably enhancing the "burnt" smell.

After it's been dry for awhile, it settles into a rather sweet tobacco. Still not the scent for me. Off to someone who will like it more!

In the Vial: A strong, sweet scent, the rum comes through very strongly. I get a hint of the tobacco, but none of the leather.

Wet: Almost sticky sweet on me, and I like sweet scents generally. This, however, is not doing it for me. I assume it's the tonka that I don't care for here. The sweetness is overriding any subtler scents.

Drydown: Basically the same as wet, I notice the tobacco scent a bit more.

Dry: Nope, this just isn't doing it for me. It's mellowed a little bit, but still just smells like a sticky sweetness.

Overall Impression: I clearly have the wrong body chemistry for this, because I can tell in the vial how it might be a nice scent, but it's not for me. This will be going to friends.

I was worried I wouldn't like this because the smell of Elegba turned my stomach and I was told the two are similar.

I actually love this scent. It's sweet but not sickeningly so, smoky, and oh so yummy. At first I smell the vanilla, and something else -a little bit fruity, maybe. Apricot? Coconut? Just a hint of leather, tobacco and a nice smoky base make this smell divine. Very sexy, and a bit naughty. In short, it's excellent.

Perversion is definitelyall about leather. Aged leather. Leather of the “I’m wearing a really OLD, heavy, brown-leather-coat" variety. And tobacco, like pipe tobacco. Possibly vanilla flavoured. And there's a hint of blackcurrant and liquorice to it too. It’s like standing in an old-fashioned sweet-shop/tobacconist’s wearing a WWI flying jacket.

It's a very dark, treacle-y scent on me. And comforting, somehow. I'm not even sure I like it, as a scent, but somehow I just can't stop sniffing my arm...

Definitely a keeper.

In the bottle:

Oh wow, that's good. It's almost like Snake Oil on crack. Something is sweet like the vanilla - I'm guessing that it's the tonka. Definitely getting the chardonnay and something spicy, which is probably in the leather/tobacco. Very feminine, and yet also vaguely masculine.

Wet:

TONKA/vanilla... with all kinds of subtle tasty things in the background.

Dry down:

Tonka, rum, sweet with a little tiny bit of spice. I can smell the leather and tobacco when I look for them, but they don't jump out. The masculinity has gone away. This is really good.

Final thoughts:

So glad I got an imp of this - it's gorgeous. Seductive, and just a little too sweet with just those little subtle hints of other scents, sufficient to give it its name. (Or it's a placebo effect :P). It has a vaguely smoky feel to it. Really yummy.

In the imp: rum and warm vanilla-caramel tobacco.

On me, wet: lots of alcohol, lots of leather, something coconut-ish, and stale smoke. It's reminding me of some pubs I've been to.

On me, dry: whoa, that tobacco-ish scent warmed and softened into a caramelish vanilla, and blended with a really strong rum note. It's still a litle stale, though.

Verdict: It's making me think of old men's pubs, ceilings encrusted with tar and carpets sticky from accumulated spilled drinks. Not a keeper.

This review is dedicated to a friend who couldn’t believe I would own a perfume called Perversion. Onward!

I cringe before trying anything that says “tobacco” or “leather”, let alone both, but this is unexpectedly sweet. Although there’s a touch of smoke swirling in the depths, the tonka and the rum own this scent. The longer it sits on my wrist, the more alcoholic it smells, and now I can start to pick out the wine as well.

Frankly, this is impressive. The alcohol tingles, the vanilla soothes, and the smoke is virtually undetectable. If it doesn’t fade out on me, I can definitely see myself wearing this again, though certainly not to work. Definitely an evening scent, and not a fancy evening, either. It would go well with messy hair, excessive eyeliner, and fishnets. (This isn’t particularly my style. Perversion goes well with them, but it doesn’t demand them.)

As time passes, this scent turns outright pretty... pretty with a broad streak of alcohol, but pretty. It fades down as well, and now it’s just a tingling, shimmering veil of scent. The rum has lessened, and the chardonnay and tonka reign. Given some more time, the tonka backs down, and it’s simply all chardonnay. It’s hardly what I expected, but I’m glad of that, since I expected to hate this, and I like it a lot instead.

I think I like everything here except the chardonnay. In the early stages of Perversion the chardonnay threatens to ruin everything with a candy wine sweetness...but I am not great with the lab's wine notes in general. This time, it doesn't hang around for long...or at least, backs off enough to let me enjoy the other notes. Or maybe it just mingles with the tonka so that the sweetness becomes a bit spicy and much more pleasant. Meanwhile, in the back seat, the leather and tobacco are having a dirty romp. The rum is there too, and like some others I think of coconut when I smell this rum. There is the faintest hint of suntan lotion about it, but that dirty leather and tobacco keeps it from becoming a day at the beach. Overall the scent somehow works for me, but isn't something I love. It's interesting enough to hold on to the imp unless I get in a fickle mood and decide to swap it. For some reason I want to wear this to a New Year's Eve party.